Hide the women and children, the 5.0 Ecoboost Mustang is coming

Hide the women and children, the 5.0 Ecoboost Mustang is coming.

>Ecoboost

No car meet will ever be safe again. Factory tire shredding twin turbo Mustangs will soon be roaming the streets, loosed upon unsuspecting pedestrians and traffic.

But those new mustangs can handle

>TT v8

>no ecoboost V6 from the GT

Nope, confirmed it's getting a modular based V8. Coyote or Voodoo with a pair of turbos.

gud

The Ecoboost V8 will also supposedly be a second engine option for the Raptor starting with the 2018 model year.

Is it safe to say that the Camaro vs Mustang competition made them both the best sports cars and performance you can buy?

V8 with a turbo
Goddam Bruh!

Yeah, I think that's fair to say. For the dollar, I don't think you can get much better. This particular beasty might be more of a Hellcat hunter, but the biggest winner in the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger battle is the consumer.

no

theyre both heavy and make for terrible sports cars

Koreans are trying to get in on affordable performance as well. Twin turbo Genesis Coupe could mean some good competition for the Mustang GT and Camaro SS.

They're really budget GT cars, a role in which they are fantastic, and to the average person there is no distinction between a GT and a Sports Car. For a factory new car, they're difficult to beat as far as performance per dollar is concerned.

don't worry. Once a few more boomers die off they'll finally be able to shed whats left of the muscleness from the mustang.

I'm thinking sleek, smaller, front midship, 2+2, all aluminum, turbo 4, 6, and 8.

This. Still to big, heavy, and lumbering to be a real sports car. But they're getting closer.

Why would anyone want 2 turbos with modern turbo technology? Is it just the V configuration?

You do realize that "muscleness" is not just something that appeals to boomers, right? I love my Mustang, and I'm 22.

Basically. It's just easier to slap a turbo on each bank of cylinders.

Less exhaust plumbing

And you do realize ford has been trying to get away from "muscleness" for years right? Same with chevy. It wont stop.

Looks like ford is finally done playing kiddo games.
Dropping the "eco"boost and replacing with seriousboost. SMH2BH GM didn't even get a chance to recover. SAD!

Gm fangirls btfo how will they ever recover

Unfortunately, you're right. That being said though, there are still certain things that make a Mustang a Mustang, or a Camaro a Camaro, and if they bored down on what those cars were originally, not what people think they were, their modern interpretations would be incredible. Light, front engine, rear wheel drive and relatively small. A real modern 1965 Mustang would be incredible.

FORD LATE TO THE GAME YET AGAIN

GERMANS HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR DECADES

For 5 times the price.

Can we expect this thing to make 800HP in a street production model? The 3.5 V6TT puts out over 600....

Then why can't they flat-plane crank?

Whoah whoah whoah, let's set some shit straight. An S63 BiTurbo makes 585 horsepower and cost 180k, 200+ after options. Ford is already stating that the GT500 is going to put down Hellcat topping figures, so 700-750 horsepower and will cost well under six figures.

The Germans might have been doing it before, but Ford is doing it better.

They're whispering 750 conservatively.

Hopefully it won't sound like shit. I'm getting real tired of modern turbo engines sounding like farting noises and not much else. Is it so hard to build a charismatic turbo engine in this day and age?

gm fan girls on suicide watch

if there are any GM fangirls left after getting BTFO at lemans
Please seek help its not to late

Why not just leave the mustang alone and Ford make an actual sports car? Think of the Mustang as Ford's M3/4. we already know it can hand with and outperform the fastest BMW has to offer whilst remaining cheaper. that's the appeal of the car. Boomers don't exist in Europe yet they are eatting that car up and something tells me if they just turn it into a BMW Z4 or GT86 sells will fall just as if BMW tried to turn the M3 into a Corvette or 911.

Keep the mustang the way it is and just make another car with another name. GM might release an electric sports car because they already got the "E-ray" name. instead of just turning the already popular corvette into something else they are just making another car.

Why can't Ford simply offer more products? they have the Fiesta and the Focus. two different cars that serve slightly different markets. They could easily do the same with an actual lightweight RWD sports-car. Porsche does it with the Boxter and Cayman instead of trying to turn the 911 into something else why not capitalize on more sales?

Not unless its going to be called "Cobra jet" or something. that's too much horsepower and the car won't be able to make use of all of it. i'm guessing the same 500-600 we've already been seeing in GT500s.

Modern turbos are actually pretty reliable, and having a pair of them is ideal for V engines because you can have them sitting right next to the exhaust ports for maximum exhaust gas velocity, and two smaller turbos will spool faster than one large one.

>5.0 Ecoboost

same one that's going in the Raptor?

obligatory

The same or slightly detuned version is going to be a second engine option for the Raptor, yes.

>that American flag sticker

fuck ya

"Power by ford" was better
Retards in the 70's adding that ed bullshit.

Super snakes have been doing 950hp since 2012.
But its not considered "factory" because it has to be shipped to Shelby

The Super Snake is fucking awesome, no question, but everything I read about it seems to indicate that it overdrives the limitations of the base GT. Not enough is done to accommodate 850 horsepower, still wicked though.

>those front tires
Holy fuck they're THICK

thread went from wow look ford doing biturbo v8

to oh my god please jerk my throbbing cock to ford charts

remind me again why you are here any not on fords forum?

what an absolutly disgusting display of shameless advertising run rampant because website management doesnt care about the user base

You realize it's been all Ecoboostfags vs V8fags right?

So yeah. This is the correct reaction

Mother of God

>t.bought a GM and now is feeling anus pains

>Thread is about a new Mustang
>Mustang is a Ford
>People who like Ford and or Mustangs come to thread
>Twin-Turbo V8s are awesome
>Ford is doing one, in new Mustang

Seems to me that this thread is rightfully focused on Ford and Mustangs, and the people here like Ford, and Mustangs. Call that shameless advertising if you want, but I believe that this board is listed under the category "interests", and this happens to be something we're interested in.

You're missing the point, doesn't like it because it's not a GM and it doesn't have pushrods.

Shut up you abbocunt

>pushrods

Please refrain from deriving delight from my own ill-interested topics, thank you.

>Hyundai Genesis could be competitive

Flat plane crank is a meme admired by bus riding fags

>5.0 Ecoboost

Why didn't they do this for the GT and make people shut the fuck up about "muh V8?"

wouldn't fit

Too expensive, it's going to churn out over 700 horsepower, that puts it way too far out of the range for the GT.

Why would they put a V6 used for marketing purposes in a midengined sportscar (to show the link beteren Ford racecar and Ford Ecoboost Street cars) in a front engines sportscar? The engine upgrade price would be massive, given hoe overstressed it is in the GT.

dick would've been fucking diamonds if they did. although i still don't like the overall design of the ford GT. looks like they wanted to create something new and fresh but because it was called "GT" they had to slap some "GT" styling cues so it still at least somewhat resembled a GT.

Less plumbing, better packaging, better response.

It'll only be called Ecoboost if Ford figures out direct injection on the Modular/Voodoo. If they do, when they do, expect the Hellcat twins to look wimpy in hindsight.

>Can we expect this thing to make 800HP in a street production model?
Solid 707+ if they stick with the 5.0, 750+ if they pull a Trinity and go 5.8+.
>The 3.5 V6TT puts out over 600....
In a limited production, highly stressed halo car for the company. At the lower consumer level at which the GT500 will be fielded, price is a concern, and the internals can only be so strong under factory warranty. 800 at the crank is possible, but I don't think it'll get past the beancounters.

>highly stressed
No. It handles power fine.

Because flat plane cranks create insignificant gains, especially on the German turbo cars (because exhaust flow matters less). On an n/a car like the GT350, it's maybe worth a handful of horsepower. An engineer simply cannot rationalise it on a production car.

However, a marketing guy can. It's unique, gives character, and when you use it that engineer to extract every ounce of potential from your (highly limited) V8, you credit the flat plane crank and all your innovation.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Voodoo, but the flat plane crank has very little to do with it's power gains compared to regular Modulars.

With less reliability and at a higher cost both upfront and maintenance LOL

Germans getting overtaken by cheeseburgers once again

>Highly limited
Seriously? The modular engines have been highly receptive to boost since the 2v 4.6. 3v's can make over 800 at the crank with a blower and forged internals, and Coyotes are even crazier.

>Designed a chassis from the ground up
>V8 wouldn't fit
Either the engineers were retarded, or the marketing guys cucked then into the V6. I think it's the latter.

>700hp is too much
The GT's main competitor, the 675LT already has close to 700hp. The GT is bottom 6's. If Ford had made the GT from the ground up with a twinturbo V8, which they should have, then it could handle 700 just fine. It's actually be something special in terms of raw numbers

Then why does Ford detune it to below 400hp for consumer vehicles? Every bit of horsepower beyond that simply costs a lot of money to the guy buying it, because the warranties have to be factored in.

Yeah, ignore that struck comment, I thought you were talking about the Mustang GT.

they passed on the v8 because they had been racing the v6 in daytona prototypes for years. the only real change is a tune for road gas.

why pass on something proven when you're still getting 600+hp

The V8 wouldn't fit inside the current design.

fuck off, autist

Plus, the V8 is a bigger, heavier engine, and think about what that does to the rest of the design. If you're truly making a supercar, everything needs to be done purposefully, no wasted space, so the car would be larger and heavier to accommodate the larger and heavier engine.

>Under boost
It's a bit of a pig n/a, which makes the Voodoo even more impressive.

If you were talking about the Mustang, most people agree that the 2014 stick axle ones could properly handle 500-ish HP. I'd expect the comfortable limit of. 2017 IRS model to be around 600-650. The GT500 has never been about cornering speed though, it's a drag machine, and it'll handle 750+ just fine there - if they don't blow the IRS.

read

Not a matter of whether they could handle it or not, it's a matter of cost and what's practical. I use a Mustang GT as a daily driver, a lot of people do, and while I might be okay with 700+ horsepower on tap, that seriously limits your market for the car. Not saying that the average person shouldn't have 700+ horsepower, just that it'd be pretty damn hairy for most.

>why pass on something proven when you're still getting 600+hp
Because it's still a racecar engine, with racecar reliability unless you heavily, heavily detune it and work around it's limitations. Just because it does endurance right doesn't mean it'll do consumer driving right.

Sure, it won't fit in the current design, which is caused by the marketing team. They could have just as easily made it a V8.

A bigger engine doesn't change as much as you'd think, especially on a heavily optimised chassis designed from the ground up. Power would also significantly improve. As it sits, it's an unimpressive slew of numbers compared to the rest of the supercar world. It might be top of the bunch if Ford really does a job on the non-numbers end, but a power increase would instantly get them in a league of their own.

>they could have easily made it a V8
And wasted billions designing a one time use V8 to fit inside??? Yea, no.

>Cost and practicality
Hellcats have shown that it's possible with really limited technology to create a somewhat practical 700hp sub-100k muscle car. Ford has a lot more budget, better chassis, arguably a better engine, and they'll use turbos instead of a supercharger. It'll keep the cost attractive to the consumer, and it'll still be usable daily - not to it's full potential, but you could DD it.

Just because it's scare some people, doesn't mean it won't sell. There's a very big market for people who want scary (or a car with a scary image at least), and with the Viper going away, there'll be a lot of people looking for their scary substitute.

>850 HP
>Still runs 12s

Ford, everybody.

stay mad

>Billions
It's have cost roughly the same as current development cost. Engine bay size is one of many, many factors, and it won't kill a project. The entire GT project cannot have cost more than 400K unit price times 500 units if they wanted it to be profitable, so roughly 20 million. That includes the entire chassis design. For several billion dollars, I'd expect a whole new Ford lineup.

>One time use
Yet it's going to be used in the GT500 and Raptor.

Right, but it moves it into a different segment. A GT starts at 32,000. Sure, people are snapping up Hellcats everywhere, but compare that to the sales of the Mustang GT and it's practically nothing. Moving the GT into the same price point would be a huge mistake.

>it would cost roughly the same
Nope.

>gt500 and raptor
What? The Raptor uses an Ecoboost V6. You aren't very bright, are you?

He probably means the next gen

It's getting the Ecoboost V8 as a second engine option for the 2018 model year.

Nonono, the GT will stay at roughly it's current power and price point. It's the GT500 I'm talking about.

Roughly the same as in: enough for the GT project to still turn a profit. If not, jack up the price, lord knows there's enough demand.

Raptor will get an Ecoboost V8, see

No, it's not getting a V8 you autists. Ford said no.

>b-but muh rumors
kys

Oh.....well yeah, it's perfect for the GT500, we're in agreement.

Ideal Mustang lineup coming through:

280hp V6
330hp Ecoboost I4
380hp Ecoboost V6
430hp Coyote V8 (GT)
530hp Voodoo V8 (GT350/GT350R)
700hp Coyote V8 (GT500)
800hp Voodoo V8 (GT500R)

>GT500R
kill yourself

You got the figures right, but really the GT500/GT500"R" should do the same thing as the GT350/GT350R. Offer the "R" as a drag pack or something like it, stripped down and strengthened, and they certainly shouldn't be using different powerplants. Honestly, the GT500 nameplate seems to be getting a little stale, maybe do a Cobra Jet and Super Cobra Jet.

Cobra Jet is already being used for factory drag-only packs, like the COPO is for the Camaro.

Or better yet? Bring back the Cobra nameplate, Do a Cobra and Cobra R.

A lot of road cars use racing engines. Look at the 488 for instance. It got a V6 because that V6 is the best option

That's an exception though. Ferrari's engineers are a unique bunch, and if they hadn't been able to create that unique 8-cylinder V6, the 488 would've failed dismally.

>488
>V6

You know what he meant. The 488 has a racing engine in it.

No. It hasn't been used in a single dedicated race car, except variants of the production cars.