Sup guys. I dont know anything about cars but i wanna know if a mechanic is fucking me around

Sup guys. I dont know anything about cars but i wanna know if a mechanic is fucking me around.

My car is a 2008 Suzuki Sx4 with a 4 cylinder engine. 109,000 miles

Last wednesday my car didn't start. It ran fine the day before. I'd turn the key and it would sound like it was gonna start then id lay off the ignition and the engine would stop.

Took it to the mechanic and he told me that there was a known problem with suzukis and something (i cant remember what) was bent causing low compression. On all 4 cylinders the compression was under 100. He suggested i junk the car as the cost of a new engine is less than the kbb.

Is this mechanic lying to me to get me to junk my car? He said this was a known issue but I've been googling and can't find anything.

By the way, some other keywords i remember are "timing" and "interference"

Thanks!

>Suzuki
>Over 100k miles

Unless you kept impeccable maintenance it's most likely fucked. From what you are saying seems like timing belt went out with a bang.

did he do a compression test? if he didn't do one and is telling you this anyway, go somewhere else. compression problems are something you don't diagnose unless your sure... it'd be like a doctor telling you... yeah, well... its probably cancer

Yeah sounds good. This fuckin sucks. Haha. Thanks for the info tho

He said he did a compression test.

Anyway you are probably a troll Suzuki could not even making an interference engine.

Just looked up the 2.0 engine has a timing chain and is non interference. Best bet would be to get it to another mechanic to confirm if you are unsure.

Not a troll. I have no idea what im talking about though. I just remember the word interference

>I don't know anything about cars
you could have just skipped that part, It's implied when you drive a suzuki and have to ask the internet if your mechanic is scamming you

Ouch

I'm looking up information on the model but Suzuki is a relatively unpopular maker so it's pretty scarce. What I got is that 16 valves engines are inteference engines (So valve can make contact on the piston if timing fails which result in bent valve and fucked engine) but 8 vavles. To be sure where are you located and what is your engine displacement?

Located Omaha, Nebraska, USA. I dont know what engine displacement means.

8 valves are not*

>mechanic stands to make thousands repairing a car worth far less than the repair cost
>advises the customer to junk the car for this fucking reason, forfeiting that lucrative opportunity
>hurr is I being scammed???
You don't need a knowledge of cars to not be a fucking retard, retard.

All us suzuki are 16v and 2 liters. Your mechanic is probably right.

The only good advice you will get from this board is to look at the infopic on first post and pick a proper car from the list.

Forgot to include this. He really pushed for me to use a specific junkyard, that wasn't the one i suggested.

Sounds good. I figured. Fucking sucks

He's getting a cut from junked cars or cheap price on their parts. Junkyard only pay for steel price so its up to 400 if they are generous.

200 is what they are offering me. To be fair it was more than the other junkyards in my city.

200 is a legit price if they come pick it up.

I'm an idiot and I lost the title so its sitting at home. Gonna throw it on craigslist for now. Any suggestions on price?

>offered more than other junkyards
>but he told me to use this one so it must be car, right guys?
>I mean I've not even bothered to get a second opinion from another shop, I'd prefer to ask the internet who have never seen my car and I can't even explain to them my mechanical issues because I am retarded about cars hahaha lmao
>and to top that off I would rather ask a bunch of random people on a site everyone knows is full of retards and trolls and bait, instead of a Suzuki forum
This fucking thread, man
OP has no common fucking sense. How have you survived this long?

Well this all happened today. Haven't had a chance to get it taken to another shop for a second opinion. I don't know about cars at all so i figured i'd try this place first.

He's probably here for the chinese cartoons.
As for you op...
>engine fucked
>lost titles
You will never sell it anywhere.

Tbh though thanks for the suggestion. Didn't even know there were suzuki forums

That's fine. Its $200. Ill live

Remember with your next car that maintenance is mandatory.

Yup. For sure. Its my first car and it lasted me a while. Lesson learned though

For someone as "distrusting" as you of a mechanic who literally told you you'd be better off scrapping the car than giving him thousands of dollars to fix it, why the fuck would you be asking for advice of Veeky Forums of allthe fucking places?