So I probably sound stupid

I need a car Veeky Forums, never had one before. I've got a better job now so I can actually afford one, maybe around 5k max? What I want are:

Karmann Ghia
MG MGB
MG Midget
Mazda Miata

Maybe some type of roadster? Is this a bad Idea? Or rather, is it practical for me to make this work at all? Obviously I wouldn't expect what ever I bought for that price to be in great condition, but I really do like those cards. Although the miata not so much.

Thanks in advance!

Ok you could get a pristine NA or a really good NB Miata for $5k. Other three cars I don't know much about. Miata would be an A->B and fun car, very impractical but fantastic at what it's built for. Also reliable as hell and last thousands of miles.

if you intend on actually driving the car instead of continually fixing something avoid the MG

they are great project cars due to parts availability and fairly simple mechanics
but are far from daily drivers

I'd probably use it to go to work mostly, maybe once in a while the 6 hours to get to LA, but I really doubt it. Other then that just fucking around in town.
I love the aesthetics man, they're sexy AF. If you guys know of anything with that style in that price range (lol) I'd love to know.

I don't mind learning how to repair them myself, if anything I'd want to learn anyway. Don't have a garage though, live in an apartment.

if you think you are going to drive a classic car (pre 80's) for more than ~4k miles in a year you are insane, rich, or a skilled and knowledgeable mechanic
least of which british cars of the era known for drinking and pissing oil and generally lighting themselves on fire

I happen to own a 68 mgb and consider myself lucky to have only had one small fire occur in the last few years of ownership

>I need a car Veeky Forums, never had one before

Get the Miata. Those other roadsters are for those who know how to fix a car.

THIS. MGs have shit-tier reliability, they're great cars though.

what the fuck is this list of cars lmao

I can vouch for MG
I work specifically on restoring british cars, we usually have 2 or more on our lot, the MG cars are good cars, get the MGB if youre tall at all. if you want to know anything mechanically, let me know. I've built the entire engine multiple times. We have clients that drive them home hundreds of miles away, people drive them from the Midwest to florida.

If you NEED a car for some reason I wouldn't start with one of these.
Ok, so you want to learn how to diagnose and fix shit. Start with something not just easy to work on, but reliable too, so you're not stranded every single week.

So something old, but not an old British roadster.

If you don't NEED a car then whatever. Maybe make your own wiring

.... seems like you gotta find something between karmann ghia and miata... something you like but would require reasonably little work.
its up to you to figure out what that is.....
.... judging by your list, something unimaginable

mossmotors.com
literally every part you can need to restore one.
plebs think you cant get parts for them, I really don't know where that rumor started.

karmann ghias are NOT like beetles.
Miatas always look like a pussy car, same thing with the midget too

The Miata is the obvious choice user, for 5k you can get a really nice one

I would go for a 1994-1997 Miata, preferably an M-Edition that got a Torsen LSD, leather seats, nicer wheels etc

They were made to be a spiritual successor for the classic roadsters like MGs

They're real fucking fun to drive, insanely reliable and happy to redline all day, not to mention sound decent stock as well

It's also a great car to learn how to wrench on, every single question you might have has been answered and if you need help there's almost certainly a Facebook Miata club in your area where the members are generally nice people willing to help

I understand how you might not like the looks as much, but it really grows on you in person, they actually have some nice curves, they look like a baby FD rx-7 to me

Just find one at a dealership and test drive it, I guarantee you'll love it

MR2 Spyder

>Needs a car
>Has 5k
>Wants a 40 year old "classic"

You need to reassess your situation OP.
Get realistic
Get a Toyota Corolla

The MG's and Karmann Ghia are not primary cars.

As others have said, MG's are truly shit-tier reliability. The Miata was introduced and it literally killed all of the British and Italian roadsters that were around at the time because it was fun to drive AND it worked all the time.

If this is your only car, Miata all the way.

>specifically on restoring british cars
>rebuilt engine multiple times

Are you me? That's pretty much what I do. Triumph, Jaguar, MG, I love and fix them all.

OP, If you are dead set on a British classic, I'd suggest a TR6 or Spitfire over an MG. I always found them more comfortable and the Triumphs were always better sports cars in both speed and handling.

How do I get your jobs?

Just as others have said, if you want a DD roadster.... get a Miata. Cheap, reliable, fun to drive, and you can get a clean one for

Look, I love old British sports cars, they're great. But please don't buy one as your first car, especially if you need to actually use it. It WILL break, frequently, and you won't know what to do.

Buy a Miata, have fun and reliable transportation with cheap and readily available parts, take your time learning, and get an MG later on when you're ready for it.

Note, this 96 cut off is US only, and also there's plenty of effective methods to diagnose earlier cars using a simple LED, so don't be put off buying them for the sake of obd2