What to do?

Hey Veeky Forums this is my first car, 1994 Dodge Dakota.
Every mechanic I talk to says the rust on the frame underneath the cab isn't worth fixing(one even told me I shouldn't drive it)but the rest of the frame is still good and solid.
I have no choice but to run it this winter and then find something else in the spring when I have the money.
Here's my question. Despite having 200 thousand miles the engine, tranny, trans case, and both differentials are in great shape. I would really hate to send it to the junkyard when the entire drive line is in such good condition. So what do you guy think I should do with it?

Find one without an engine, and swap it.

I remember you. Am jelly of your Dak, although I like the late 80s with glass headlights better.

I'd do like this user said ; find one with a good body and swap your drivetrain into it. If you aren't inclined enough to do that, then just get another Dak, or part out the one you have for enough to buy another.

weld up some frame reinforcements

if this
>the rest of the frame is still good and solid
then this

>mfw my first car was a dark forest green 1994 dodge Dakota sport 2wd single cab short bed
>lowered in the front bigger tires in rear
Was my hot rod truck. Always swinging the bed and getting 12 mpg bought it when I was 18 it shit the bed at 200k. Transmission failed brake booster lost pressure when I was driving to work one day. Both wheel bearing broke in the front at the same time. Parked it indoors of my house for weeks. Sold it to the junkyard for 400$
I miss that truck sometimes. I'm 23 now this post really gave me feels.

I don't know how to weld. First mechanic told me it was too much of a liability for him to fix. Second one said if he did it would cost around 2 grand and it would still be just a patch. I can't imagine how it could possibly cost that much though.

Also all of the Dakotas on my local Craigslist are automatics, how hard is it to convert auto to manual?
Most of my mechanical knowledge came from my mother's ex husband, he was good at some stuff but was bi-polar had PTSD and was just an all around asshole. Ive never done an engine swap and I would be kind of nervous about trying without someone to walk me through it.

You don't swap engines to make a car manual you swap transmission s

Watch that shit on Youtube. I'm not going to be ripping apart any trannies blindfolded real soon, but a considerable amount of my car knowledge comes from Youtube. You can watch 100s of videos of guys doing it and chances are there's even one of your specific make and model. If you've never even crawled under a car before, you're probably fucked. Otherwise just have an appreciation of what you're doing and take it slow. Doing shit too quickly will only make you ruin your car faster. Take it easy and you might do it right.

Yes I know that.

I've been underneath this thing more times than I can count, so who knows given enough time an engine crane and a good service manual I might just be able to do it.

I used to pull engines out with a tow chain and the maple tree in my backyard. It was crude, but it worked.

You just need to find a guy who welds, not a mechanic. You could buy a grinder and prep the surface yourself right before you get it done.

Post pics of rust.

I'll try to get pics tomorrow if it stops raining.

Here's are the rust pics. Sorry for the crappy quality.

First two are on drivers side next to the T case up to the very back of the transmission.

Passenger side isn't nearly as bad.

Further forward.

Yeah, that's find another truck time. The rust is too extensive to patch effectively.

That's worse than that other guys taco. Trash it, the truck is done. You'll make more if you part it out. I'd say acquire another from CL and swap in anything still good.

>Learn to weld.
>Learn how to use a sandblaster.
>Hire sandblaster.
>Use sandblaster.
>Hire welding rig.
>Use welding rig.
>Slather all in old sump oil.
>Profit.

>not seeing
the absolute IRREPARABLE monstrosity that is the undercarriage

jesus christ, only one mechanic out of the x many you talked to say don't even drive it? i wouldn't even want to back that thing out of my driveway

Buy another one that has something broken that is good on yours, switch those parts then sell the rest.

Is this a section of Titanic?

True, guilty as charged , only read the OP.
Shameful how much these damn things rust.
Anyone in the US even heard of zinc?

Drive it till it dies user.
If the undercairage is that bad weld some basic bars in to stop the thing from snapping in half.
When it does part it out

those were terrible new, off it and get something better.