Can someone explain to me how the fuck they got the headers going out from the top...

can someone explain to me how the fuck they got the headers going out from the top? this pretty much makes the whole CoG meme a reality.

Looks like a race engine. Prob rear engine and open air. Hot air rises...

Head design. Intake ports are routed between valves and point out the side of the engine.

Better pic.

Why don't more cars do this

Because people don't want headers in their windshield.

Here's a 255c.i., quad cam, 800 HP dinosaur.

Because it's a fucking packaging nightmare

Audi kinda does this, putting the exhaust on the inside of the V and putting the turbos in between the cylinder banks.

What kind of communist wouldn't want that?

I need this

>CoG
Those titanium/whatever exhaust pipes sure are heavier than a set of heads with cams, some water and pistons in them.

Lots of modern manufacturers do hot V's on turbo engines, Mercedes for example.

Never knew anyone made hot Vs aside from racing.

More examples?

The engine in the current M5 is a hot V as well.

>Flat 12

Porsche 918 has a n/a hot V. BMW's S63 units are a hot V too.

AMG GT

porsche 918

Maintenance seems like a bitch on these things. Any horror stories? Do you have to pop off the turbos and everything to di a tuneup and plugs?

I'm sure you wouldn't even think about touching anything if the car has been driven recently.

I feel like they're too new for horror stories.

Still, I know Audi has a bit of a history of making things look really hard to service but then make it pretty easy to unbolt shit to get it out of the way (see: 1st gen A8 timing belt service, the whole front needs to come off but it's easy enough to unbolt).

>CoG meme a reality

its for ground clearance and chassis design you pleb

>not mounting the engine as low as possible

>a tuneup and plugs?

>turbos in center V
>sparkplugs coil-on-plug

i don't fucking think so you dumb tripfag. this is nowhere near the first V engine to run turbos in the middle

>FORD

Welcome friend. Nice dubs.

I'm just saying these pics are all the engine out of the car with no acessories on them. You know some of them are a bitch to deal with once you get all the plastic covers, belts, wires, reservoirs, etc under the hood.

BMW's Engine is the first one to do it in a production car IIRC.

If any thing maintenance on the engine is probably done with the engine out of the car, with the cradle dropped, since that's the chosen way to install them in factory nowadays.

While you can do most everything to E39 M5 engine in car, its only 6 bolts and D/C all the lines/ harnesses and you can drop the engine out of the bottom of the car.

its only 6 bolts and D/C all the lines/ harnesses, and rear trans mount/drive shaft/linkage

>Maintenance seems like a bitch on these things. Any horror stories?
Maintenance is a horror story on all new German cars.

Wasn't that engine so unreliable in Group C racing that when Mercedes wanted to return to F1 with a mildly modified version in the early 90s, the team they contractually agreed to supply them to (I want to say Sauber?) refused out of hand and built their car around customer V10s with Ilmor badges?

>plastic covers
>mfw

>BMW's Engine is the first one to do it in a production car IIRC.

>car

maybe a car specifically - but ford powerstroke trucks have turbo V8 diesel engines with center mounted turbos and have for years

and thats a mass produced truck engine