Classic Car General

Old thread is dead.Engine Swap Edition

Talk about classic cars
Talk about classic car feels
Ask about classic cars here
A vehicle over 25 years old is technically a "classic" but it needs something more than just age to it
Post American, Asian or European classics

Other urls found in this thread:

denver.craigslist.org/cto/5772039594.html
chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/5791757631.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Diesel_engine
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

is it possible to get american classics for a grand or so?
I just moved lol

second for nazi delorean

I don't know this meme.

>Lincoln
Shit taste.

>tripfags show off their old beaters that their dead grandparents left them and pretend they're going to do anything with them general

>is it possible to get american classics for a grand or so?
shitheaps yeah

>mad that the gov't doesn't give him 4000 autismbux for an old car
lmaoing at your life.

>Implying this has ever been more than a "one of these days, I'm going to tree fiddy swap my ___" threads
Just enjoy the feels

Shoulda had the convertible

Took some pictures of the beater today with an actual camera, but still not a good one

I'm looking at financing a 66 El camino with a rebuilt 396 and a 700r4. Went and looked at it, started right up, very clean body apart from a dent and some chipped paint. Everyone I talk to says I should wait to get a classic till it's a second car, yet I'm looking at buying a restored one for my dd.

Am I crazy for wanting this or should I just buy something I'll hate because it's the "safe" move?

Go ahead and laugh at the state of my engine bay

Fak

Also, how do you guys feel about AMC Eagle 4x4 wagons? There's one for sale on Craigslist that I can soon afford if I save up enough before it sells

Why do you have it so much lower in the front

Because I like it and I think it looks cool

> Financing a '66 el camino
> It's your first car and you're financing it and it's a '66 el camino
You shouldn't keep doing something you hate because it's safe, you're going to die one day. Get the El Camino if you can't see yourself driving anything else, but be prepared to ride public transport.

Based on my experience, i would not do that. Honestly buy a lightly used older reliable car and get a cheap vintage motorcycle

Where do you live? If you live where it snows and if they salt, that 66 is gonna live a hard and rusty life. But if you live in the southwest, you should be fine as long as it doesn't break too much

Not my first car, I just graduated college and enlisted. I'm just looking to get out of my shit box that's more trouble than anything I've seen. I like wrenching, but I want something that isn't made of plastic and all types of electronics.

I'm not in love with the El camino, but it's in great shape, looks good, and I can get the muscle car I want without giving up utility of a pick up. Trust me, I'd rather have an old Mopar, but this seems more logical.

I live in Texas, more than likely gonna be stationed on the sw coast.

What did you buy?

And though I do love bikes, I still can't force myself to buy a cheap econo car. I just cant will my inner jew to part with my money for something that doesn't excite me. But the bike was the next purchase.

I own these. As much as I wanted to daily the 65, it just wasn't very feasible.

And you are also getting your first car. Imagine this scenario
>Have to go to school/work every day
>Winter comes
>Carb is acting like a bitch because it doesnt like the cold
>Choke won't save you now
>Have to spray carb spray down the intake every morning
Odds are that wouldn't happen, but little shit happens all the time, on top of shit like that

>idiot doesn't know how to fix a carb
>old cars must suck in the winter
Don't spread lies just because you have no idea what you're doing

sorry, forgot my trip

DiD YoU kNoW: french fries from mcdonalds taste better after i sit on them? i like how the potato squeezes out and has a slight musk of my sweaty ass to taste with the french fry. Also, i love riding my dads sick """"""muscle"""""" car

Oh shit, I've been hacked by ananymoose

Start cropping stuff.

That makes my picture a whole lot better. The most I know about photography came from Photography 1 in sophomore year, and even then we didn't use any photo editing software, just film

Since it's inception photography has been used as a tool for manipulation of reality - you can do amazing things with your exposed negative in post. Simple adjustments can really make a great photograph. Lurk on /p/.

I know what's wrong with my carb, others just not worth tearing it apart again to deal with. Once that snow starts to hit the ground I'll probably be putting my truck away anyway.

>just film

That's not an excuse at all. Cropping and photo manipulation has been happening since the beginning of photography in the 1830's. Film, enlarges, in a chemical dark room made it easier when compared to the previous glass plates that photography started out with.

There's is a whole hell of a lot of cropping and manipulation done in this photo back in the 1950's.

No one in this thread would agree with you

this.
>I prefer caddy tho

I prefer Imperial over both, but they are hard to come by in my area and I already have the Lincoln as a project

there's only 1 in all of the denver metro area craigslist, good looking too.

denver.craigslist.org/cto/5772039594.html

We'll considering I'll be on coastal tx, lol at winter of 70 degrees. Also I'd be living on base, so Id only be driving every other day for leisure.

That's a beauty

I agree
>tfw no chrome

I mean go for it, at the end of the day you are going to do whatever you are going to do. I just wouldn't finance a 50 year old car, and I am glad my first car wasn't a classic.

Well sorry, I was just trying to make it understandable about how much I don't know about photography. I took those pics with a 10 year old digital point and shoot camera. I dint know shit dude

tbqh family, me neither.

I just take pictures with my old ass digital camera and do nothing with them, I dun give a fuck

About to start pouring money In, It's gonna be my daily driver.

same. mine is like 8 years old now, damn.

I don't understand why people spray paint cars black

I mean fuck, do something colorful if you're going to go that route

The one I have is 13 years old now. Other than a cracked screen and shitty batteries, it's just fine for my needs
Nice, man. I've been wondering what's been going on with the wagon lately

I got mine used off craigslist, I just dumped money into lenses.

Get a fucking caddy you simpleton.

lincolns are cool though
>and commander cody is bretty neat

What for? Lincoln and Imperial are better than Cadillacs

I needed something to cover up all the bodywork and bondo for the time being. A paintjob will happen eventually, until then it remains primer.

It now has carpet and air conditioning, and I have huge list of things to do to it.

How many presidents were shot riding in Cadillacs? Thought so.

I'm not American, so what does that mean and why would I care?

>57 replies
>no Duesenbergs
blegh

Fucking love this one. 31' Auburn Speedster. Same care Indy, Willie and Short Round drove in the beginning of Temple of Doom, too.

I'm also a fan of the 70' Roadrunner and the 55' Nomad as well, for Hot Wheels Highway 35.

We mainly post things about mid 50s to 70s vehicles, but we do also like the old old iron

get out of here Leno

It all depends on the year; Cadillac was woefully inferior to Lincoln and Imperial from 1957 through 1964, mechanically speaking.

How can i tell where my Plymouth was manufactured?

mfw if it's not a genuine Detroit car

Someday I will own all three and park them side-by-side.

Funny how high the horsepower numbers are compared to how dogshit slow all those cars are.

I realize that they used a different method of measuring power back then, and that they are automatics. It's just fucked how a car with so much power can feel like a tercel.

>compared to how dogshit slow all those cars are.
Those cars are literally as heavy as your modern day bro truck, with, at best, 3 speed automatics.
Although a 727 will be faster than a A833 any day.

So I asked about Eagle wagons earlier and got no replies so I'll post a pic and a link

Guys I want this in the worst way. But I have nowhere to keep it and I'm too broke to buy it right now on my part time wages. I texted the guy letting him know I'd be interested once I save up enough to buy it (only a couple paychecks), and offload my pickup (which is a debacle in itself) if the wagon doesn't sell on Craigslist

chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/5791757631.html

FUCK I NEED IT

Obviously it needs new wheels and knobbier tires

>I realize that they used a different method of measuring power back then
They measured on the crank, not the wheels.
Just chop like 10% off the advertised hp and that'll come up with your WHP.

Dude, the car is heavy as hell, and the HP and torque numbers are from the engine on a dyno with zero load on it other than water pump.
I can tell you that even with an auto and 2.70 gears in the rear end, that the 462 in my Lincoln does not not feel dogshit slow at all

What's your actual question?

Also, the fat big blocks were way detuned from factory to provide smooth, reliable power through all of the powerband. These are luxury vehicles after all, not muscle cars or sports cars

>I can tell you that even with an auto and 2.70 gears in the rear end, that the 462 in my Lincoln does not not feel dogshit slow at all
300Cs did like 130 mph with 2 speed autos. These cars did not lack power no matter what the memers claim.

If anyone knows anything about these. I would assume the only downfall to them is rust, but I'd take as many precautions to prevent it because I already do that to my truck. It's got the same motor as a jeep and a new transmission, so I don't see why it wouldn't be an uber cool and reliable daily driver with all the creature comforts I need

That has nothing to do with power though, just gearing.
I've had my 79 Thunderbird up to 180 km/h before and that's a 3 speed c6 with 2.70 in the rear. I don't know how fast it could go if I floored it, cause the speedo stops at 180

>If anyone knows anything about these.
You should be asking why some guy is selling an immaculate Eagle for less than 2 grand.
If it's not a scam, it's going to be gone pretty damn soon.

>That has nothing to do with power though, just gearing.
Gearing can only take you so far.
At some point it's beneficial to just have more power and two-speed automatics are by no means ample for performance, however, because it's a two speed it had one really short gear and one really really reallllly tall gear.

I know, thats why I immediately texted him letting him know if it does sell that I would be interested once I can get the funds together that I need before I can but the car

Doesn't sell*

You better start sucking dicks quick like.

Post your vin and model year and I can probably figure it out

No, they still use crank power today. They used to use a different method of calculating it though.

I know, the idea is just funny to me. To be honest, luxobarges should be diesels (dat no cost massaging seat) but manufacturers know people are retarded and want to see high numbers even if it's pointless

Same thing with the LT1 in, say, a Corvette versus one in a Caprice. Same engine, way different power figures.

Title hasn't arrived yet. I'll post when it gets here.
Should have written it down while i was doing paperwork desu.

Oldsmobile tried putting a diesels in many cars before, it never really caught on. Americans didn't want anything to do with diesels for a long time unless it was in a tractor or a pickup truck.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Diesel_engine

Wonder how many stations actually sold diesel in the mid 70's.

Plenty I'd imagine, there were lots of diesel pickups back then was there not? Plus the 1973 Oil crisis pushed gas prices way up, I don't know about diesel though

>there were lots of diesel pickups back then was there not?
Nah, most trucks back then came with a straight six.
Diesel was fancy euroshit or semi trucks.

The Oldsmobile diesel was also a piece of crap. Mainly due to GM cheating out on parts. It can be made a good engine, my boss has one with 450k miles on it, but it has to be completely rebuilt with quality parts.

>Nah, most trucks back then came with a straight six.
Gasoline/petrol i should say.

Yes, it was junk, but when rebuilt for gasoline purposes, it was apparently very good, since the block was so strong.
Staight six too gud

>Staight six too gud
ayy, they can be pushed hard to V8 power without much worries but i hear the oil pumps on old straight sixes take a real beating.

Did the I6's not last very long or what? Whenever I look up old trucks for sale they have factory V8s in them. Rarely will I find one with a I6 in it.

My boss' truck is still diesel. The main problem with them was the use of stretch bolts for the heads. He rebuilt his in his machine shop, used ARP studs, put in a roller cam, increased compression a bit. It's a fantastic engine now, and is pretty damn good on fuel.

I will say, you can't beat the reliability of a Land Rover I4. It's never given me a bit of trouble.

Pretty sure all of them had a V8 option from the factory.

That's what I'm talking about. You guys are talking like the I6 was super common when I rarely see them.

It's not that they're uncommon; it's that most of them were worked to death or are simply not for sale because there's no reason to sell a perfectly functioning truck. Unless it's a high-dollar vehicle, most people don't sell a car with zero problems.

>You guys are talking like the I6 was super common when I rarely see them.
I don't know why you don't see more of them desu but lets be real here, nobody is going to buy a classic pickup with a 6 cylinder unless you're kkk.

I want one with an i6 and granny gear...

Only my luxury barges need V8s.

Can we post our own classics?

The i6 engines were the best that's why you rarely see trucks for sale with them. mostly no one wants to sell them cause they have the i6.
I would have rather had the 300 six instead of the 360FE in my old 73 F100.

Exactly
Post as much as you please. Don't see much Fargos around anymore, especially where I live in BC