Truckerfag Thread - Safety Edition

More headache racks = more safety. What are you doing to be more safe?

>>Obtaining a CDL: How do?
>Community College or a dedicating truck driving school. Do your research and don't get sucked into a "school" that's actually just a meat grinder for a shit company. Do not pay over $5000 for a course that lasts several months.
>>How can I into avoidings shit companies?
>Here are some decent/good companies:
>pastebin.com/Sv0cyWyH
>If you don't see the company you're looking at included on this list, lurk moar.
>>I could totally go to school but I'd rather be a trucker.
>If you think you'll love the lifestyle, maybe. You'd be better off getting a """""real""""" job. You can fall back on trucking at any time, but it is essentially a path of decent money for those that fail at everything else.
>You can have good business sense and work ethic and make it big as an owner operator, but you would do even better at any other job.
>Obligatory meme section
>-----
>>You will get fat.
>>The only clothing you'll own are pajamas.
>>The only reason you get paid well is because you work 70 hours per week.
>>The longest relationship you'll get is 15 minutes with a lizard.
>>Eating nothing is better than roller dogs.
>>You have the most dangerous job in the nation.
>>The D.O.T., Police, and Le'dash-uh in receiving hate you, and will harass you every chance they get.
>>Door swinging is for children.
>>Professionals don't wear flipflops and shorts.
>>Other drivers hate you.
>>Your job will be obsolete once self-driving trucks become available.
>>Your loved ones miss you.
>>If you don't change careers you will forever be considered a cuck and a homo. Especially if you cuckbox with another fag driver.
>>lol 'murrica
>>lol yurop
4 C U C K S
>>C
>>U
>>C
>>K
>>S

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.Veeky
youtube.com/watch?v=Sz6X-xteCWM
driveforonline.com/jobs/training/
wired.com/2016/09/feds-just-got-real-self-driving-cars-time/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Old bread boards.Veeky Forums.org/o/thread/15832407/

Didn't *quite* manage a full eminem.
But I followed him on to the freeway. In california.
With his tandems all the way back.
With the pins unlocked.
Running over a curb at every turn.

At least he doesn't have to worry about the cajon pass scale...

Pic related.

why do americans hate axles?
>9 axles
>25M
>50T
bigger is better

We hourly pro

U wot?

Sure, I meant general freight though

Why do Anglos hate building better roads that don't require a million wheels to stay intact?

>18 wheels on 8 axles
>also 25 metres
>60t (132,000 lbs)

Especially the Murrikans are ridiculous with 18 wheels for 36 tonne trucks on their prissy ass roads.

Bruh

woah I didn't know Americans used road trains

I guess cause theres less money in NZ to build roads with

Generally only the western states do, and the Canadians do.

It's not a road train. Those are pup trailers.

So it's the same length as those big box trailers?

Video related, only legal on a single highway between two Canadian cities iirc.

youtube.com/watch?v=Sz6X-xteCWM

>Scandinavia already running road trains
>even the crammed fucking Netherlands are running road trains now
>Germany stuck in testing phase for the last TEN years
>mfw we'll never get road trains because retards keep striking them down for WAAAH THEY'RE SO BIG I'M SCARED and THEY'LL INCREASE TRAFFIC EVEN THOUGH THEY'LL DECREASE IT

Because our highway system was spec'd out and built when the average truck looked like this

You'd think that every bit of highway would've been renovated at least once in the last fifty years, but I suspect you guys would rather start driving down dirt interstates than raise your taxes a little.

ha, most states can barely keep ahead of maintenance

>bobtail waiting on load last night
>"let us know when you have an empty"
>o...k...
>sit around drop yard for 16 hours.
>finally an empty comes in
>wait two more hours for load
>load offer: pick up loaded trailer from drop lot

Honest question - how do you guys let it get so bad?
If any del/pickup takes more than 2 hours, you better believe my dispatch is gonna hear about and get that waiting time pay clock started. And if it's a trailer drop etc, dispatch has until my break to find me a trailer or we're discussing me coming back via bobtail.

I'm not trying to be a dick or give my dispatch a hard time - in civil with them and I'm friends with a few outside work. But when he comes to work, if you don't take your time srsly, no one else will.

Out here in Ontario, the maximum I've seen is a double 53'.

Based tf always dropping knowledge (re: answering the o/o questions in previous thread)
Btw - I got a lvl 3 inspection and on my logs, I hadn't changed back to drive from a break. Inspection page said that. But no ticket. That's normal.... Right? This happened in MI.

I've seen coop do that one time i believe between Saskatoon and regina, but i believe he was probably empty. most megas pull 2 53' trailers down the #1 highway, but only ab, sk, mb and Ontario i believe allow it. iirc part of bc you can pull 2 53' trailers but I could be wrong. Quite often though I see a 53' and pup, 2 pups, or even 3 pups, but i believe most of those are restricted to certain highways. However many companies pull the Super b configuration, including the company I drive for.
pic related of course

B-dubs best dubs, dat stability.

We do 53ft doubles on the new york thruway

So is $1.15 average? Or is that for van/reefers? Hard to believe the slammed stretched stainless steel reefer pulling long nose petes I see are only making $.25/mi

You'd think that, but you'd be wrong. There's 50,000 miles of highway in the US (just in the Eisenhower Interstate system, not including the other federal and state highways), and the vast majority of it is long, rural, low-traffic sections through the BFE that only truckers ever see. It's huge. Adjusted for inflation, the original Eisenhower interstate system is literally the most expensive public works project ever completed in the history of the world - roughly 70 times the cost of various proposals for manned space missions to Mars. The only reason we're able to keep such an expansive system in operation is because of those cheap 1950's-era construction standards. Rebuilding the whole interstate system to a higher level, coast-to-coast, would likely bankrupt the country. To increase the weight bearing capacity of a road, you have to dig up the entire roadbed and build a new one, starting deeper and wider, to serve as a foundation.

While most urban/suburban highways have been rebuilt as part of various expansion projects, rural sections are mostly still just a thin layer of resurfacing on top of the original roadbed.

Whenever there's extra tax money for roads, our politicians always prioritize highway expansion over maintenance. They like having those new roads & lanes in the suburbs to point at when they're running for re-election - filling potholes is not sexy at all. That's how we end up with new shiny bypass highways and full-stack interchanges, while lowest-bidder bridges from the 1950's are left to rot until they collapse.

>paying Americans to do work in America will bankrupt the country
Can't be any worse than the billions of dollars you fucks flush to China every year in exchange for various cheaply made crap.

>implying us burgers want to work

They do those on the state toll roads here in FL too. Mainly the Turnpike but then they can hit the Sawgrass and some other ones too. There are a couple random lots where they drop em right off the highway. Lots of McLane, McD's, Sysco too I think. Food placed with bug distros further north.

>take picture while loading
>it didn't focus properly
well fuck

Bankrupt the government, not the people, but yeah, our politicians believe that infrastructure work is basically the same as flushing money down the toilet. But even if they didn't, good luck selling them on
>redistribution of wealth
especially if it's directed towards the working class.

>>You will get fat.
I lost a lot of weight after becoming a trucker. But I do see a lot of people eating constantly, especially them night drivers trying to stay awake.

>>The only clothing you'll own are pajamas.
I prefer sweat pants and basketball shorts.

>>The only reason you get paid well is because you work 70 hours per week.
I drive maybe 2,000 miles a week and spend 1/4 to 1/2 of days being lazy. Hardly ever run my max hours unless it's my week for home time and I want to make up for 2 days.

>>The longest relationship you'll get is 15 minutes with a lizard.
I rented my house out to a woman in the Military because I was gone every 2-3 weeks. We eventually started going out and got married. Feels good.

>>Eating nothing is better than roller dogs.
Always keep back up food. Tuna, spaghetti and meatballs, etc.

>>You have the most dangerous job in the nation.
Statistically, not even close.

>>The D.O.T., Police, and Le'dash-uh in receiving hate you, and will harass you every chance they get.
You must be an asshole to them. I get free shit all the time running reefer.

>>Door swinging is for children.
And Mexicans

>>Professionals don't wear flipflops and shorts.
You've never seen a rich guy then.

>>Other drivers hate you.
They can kiss my ass. I try my best to be respectful on the road.

>>Your job will be obsolete once self-driving trucks become available.
Autonomous != self driving. Autonomous vehicles require an operator, and are already on the road in Nevada. No jobs lost.

>>Your loved ones miss you.
I miss them too.

>>If you don't change careers you will forever be considered a cuck and a homo. Especially if you cuckbox with another fag driver.
Never heard this meme before, but 2/10 for effort.

>The jokes
>Your head
Hello newfriend.

You would be correct. I think it's between Chilliwack, up to Merrit and Kelowna.

How do I get over the anxiety of NYC? Been with a mega company since I started and they never made us go out of our comfort zone. I just got hired to a smaller company because my pay will increase by 60% and they say drivers go to NYC 1-2 times a month.

Yeah, I thought it was strictly over the coq but I wasn't positive

short answer? you tighten that anus and go.
semi long answer. you keep the knowledge that you can only go a mile from any highway in nyc and try very VERY hard to prove that every stop in NYC is in-fact a mile and a half from any highway.
whenever i got that id wait 5 minutes and say no empties available,then id get out and check for empties usually by the time ive either found an empty or confirmed there are none they have something setup.

>tfw we have enough thread culture to bewilder our new friends

/tf/ board when?

Anybody heard of the Online Transport Training in Indiana?

driveforonline.com/jobs/training/

any tips/video references i can use for all types(alley/offset/etc.) of docking?

Videos won't teach you a damn thing. Gotta get out there behind a wheel.

ty bby didnt have this one

U_L_T_R_A
d.a.n.k.

pls delete old

i fixed ;)

Fuck, i've been getting a feel for it albeit slowly so i guess i'll keep at it then

Know the truck routes before you go in.

>JFK airport will be providing 44 parking spots for tractor trailer
>44 parking spots
>fourty_four

g-gee t-thanks mister de blasio

What's the highest paying division for O/O's looking for percentage pay rather than mileage? I have experience in van and reefer. Could get a job for tanker or flatbed a year to get experience if they pay more before going O/O. Thinking of buying a cheap used truck so I have no truck payment. How much could I expect to make if I went home every other weekend for 2-3 days? Aren't Truckerfag and PepsiFag O/Os? Any tips? Prefer to live on the east coast near the beach. Virginia, North Carolina, or Florida.

TF, EF, and a couple others whose names escape me. Pepsi is a company driver.

Don't expect to get richer by becoming an O/O. I became an O/O and stayed at the same company. Only made $300-400 more a week after expenses than I made company driver. Experiences may vary, but that's my $0.02. I'd love to find a good company to work for getting paid by percentage. That way I can set my own schedule and do what I want.

44 more than most city governments provide.

At these rates, there shouldn't be any trouble finding a space.

just

>what are you doing to be more safe?

Started driving in jeans instead of gym shorts because they made it too easy to fap on long stretches of highway

Doesn't look bad. What's so hard about NYC?

Could anyone provide tips and/or insight into backing for me? Failed my road test solely because I couldn't back within the 10 minutes. Was told set up is everything, but had a hard time visualizing with just pylons. Thanks

Some rule of thumb.

Apply to companies that hire ONLY owner operators. You don't want to be competing against company drivers.

Apply to a company where you are your own dispatcher. You will have to look at a "load board" yourself and choose what loads you want and how often. You are paid a percentage of the mileage. This is what makes or breaks a O/O and can be successful if you run efficiently. I know guys that will drive for 2-3 weeks and then take off a week, making six figures.

I know Mercer is a good company if you don't mind doing heavy haul and flat bed. Know of some people averaging more than $2.00/mile GROSS after Mercer takes their cut.

Get a better trainer. If they can't teach somebody how to back, then they shouldn't be a trainer. It's not hard at all. Just take it slow. Straight backing is easy. Just look at your mirrors. If you see the trailer turning in your left side mirror, turn the wheel left to 9-10 o clock than straighten back out, and vice versa.

Ask whiney

Whiney is ded

wired.com/2016/09/feds-just-got-real-self-driving-cars-time/

>SOON

Why do Americans put their headache racks on the truck instead of the trailer?

Straight backing I'm ok with, but for the test it was pic related

Ah yeah that one's a bitch. I got lucky, at the school I went to, the lot was concrete slabs, and we figured out if our tires crossed a certain line in the pavement a certain way, we'd nail it every time.

Just waitin' for dispatch

Who's a good boy, over

Hauling my first coils today boys. Picking up at 4PM. I hope I don't kill anyone.

American truckers may work for 5 different contractors in a month's time. You never know what kind of trailers you'll be towing. It's nice to have one on the truck in case you're towing pic related.

forgot pic
>inb4 moron

Post pics when loaded

Go away

Probably more secure to bolt them right into the frame, plus it puts the weight ahead of the drives as well. Then you can hang your own chains and shit off it as well.

Can you make a living hauling coils? Can you make a living hauling overweight, but not oversize things?

Try driving around Chicago too. You will learn to love trains.

My friend used to live near some 12' clearance train tracks off North Ave or something and almost everyday he was taking pics of a truck that got stuck.

Mostly so we can hoist our fat burger guts onto the trailer via the catwalk instead of doing any real climbing

Are the dash cams sold at loves worth a shit?

It's good money if you're hauling heavies. I don't accept any coil loads under $2.25/mile. My costs are around $0.75/mile but it's just a pain in the ass.

Holy shit. And that front axle slid all the way up should be helping it too.

It would be sweet to have a little 25' flatbed and just haul coils and other heavy loads all day.

I drive in NYC daily bridges are marked 1foot under so 12'6 can fit a 13'6 truck

Hourly master race here, about to buy a truck for 10k. How do I go about getting loads? What sites?

Fukken saved
Now that is some grade A quality trolling.

Tell that to trucks in Michigan.

Making a living off hauling coils? Must have bigger balls than oil riggers. I've seen one probably 40K lbs turn a F 150 into a pancake. My gut sinks every time I see some noobie Maverick/Melton driver chaining up coils. Know to stay off their route.

I know my company makes us stop every 150 miles to check them, but I think that's a law for any flatbed load. I've never had one come loose because I know how to secure them properly. But now 90% of drivers are coming out of these 3 week meme company training programs having no clue what they are doing, and dispatch sends them to haul a 30,000 steel coil through Chicago.

Do they really get loose and fall off that often?

Can you see the fear in his eyes?

>TF in the passenger seat
Damn you weren't kidding when you said the money was making you lazy. Kek

Thanks asshat

I've posted enough stuff with truck numbers on it anyway

as an American, I can confirm that our highway system is as/more retarded than it sounds

>get email from recruiter for small company

"And when we say "home weekends," we don't mean two days per week. We mean an actual weekend, SATURDAY and SUNDAY."

When will rednecks ever learn math?

Just waking up and did a dab about to shower and go see about fixing my ps4

Cleary you have never been to new york, they mark the bridges 1 foot low for "snow pack"

I like my loads like my sex partners.

>be me first time in nyc
>i95s
>late night, pretty easy going, following a couple other trucks, starting to relax
>see bridge, other trucks go under
>see clearance
>13ft...wait !#FT!?!
>are those trucks shorter than me? are the signs wrong? this is an interstate right?
>decide fuckit no way all those trucks wereless than 13ft
>aaaahhhhhhhhhh
You'd think someone would have mentioned that NYC trolls new truckers to me at some point

My impression of that is that some companies will have you work 5 days a week with 2 consecutive days off as a "weekend," but they may be on Tues/Wed or something. Having Sat/Sun off is likely the most attractive 2 days of a week to have off.