old thread

>Miata Questions & Answers
>Miata Adventures & Blog Posts
>Miata Pictures & Fun Webms

>Miata buying guide
wiki.miata.net/tiki-index.php?page=Checking Out a Used Miata

Other urls found in this thread:

philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5795952125.html
ebay.com/itm/FITS-MAZDA-MIATA-MX5-MK1-MK2-LEATHER-BOOTS-SILVER-STITHING-/231161356794?hash=item35d24a61fa:m:msgWd1A44d1tYCegoyPWsxQ
mossmiata.com/Browse/PlateMenuProducts.aspx?WebCatalogID=39&PlateTypeID=1&SubcomponentID=289&ComponentID=35
mossmiata.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=126719
moddiction.com/store/product/search.aspx?searchterm=anvil,
ebay.com/itm/311325617747?euid=e71576bc1ef1496db6a432018a75588e&bu=43510692461&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu
youtube.com/watch?v=dAqAqODmcj4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for what shift knob should I buy, need a boot for it as well, my stock ones are in shit condition

What's wrong with the stock knob? I do have a gen-you-ine JDM raceboi knob that came with the JDM import transmission I bought I'd be willing to send you for cost of shipping.

Just get stock

It's got gashes in it and the finish is all fucked, looks shit compared to the rest of the interior which is in pretty decent shape. Also, the boot is torn like a mofo and looks shite also.

Cute. The most sensible thing is just to stick with proven Toyota, Ford and Hyundai/Kia and avoid undependable GM, Honda, Subaru for sure.

Thats not stock lol

I've got a voodoo aluminum knob that I like. It makes the shifter even shorter. As for the boot, idk. Use the Google.

Are you talking the leather boot? Or the lower ones that are made of rubber?

>$80 eBay coil pack
>$260 OEM coil pack from Go Miata
>$300 for a coil on plug kit with harness from Fab9

Wat do? I need to pass emissions this December and I'm getting random misfire codes which I'm 95% sure the coil is causing.

My car's engine is stock for now but I plan on going FI eventually. The Fab9 kit yields a stronger spark (good for around 19 psi of boost) and if one coil goes out down the road I don't have to replace the whole coil pack, just one denso pencil coil. It also looks cool, and is much easier to install compared to the stock coil.

Leather, going to get a shifter rebuild kit while i'm at it, any suggestions?

sounds unreliable

and the MR-S is uggo

>GoMiata
>Ever

MiataMecca probably has coil packs on his eBae store - I'd buy from him before anyone else on there. Can't find a relatively fresh Miata in your local junkyard or a place that strips and stores parts in a warehouse?

5X racing shifter rebuild kit with the brass bushing is the best kit out there imo. I love mine

>CEL comes on
>MAF sensor
>replace air filter, clean MAF with MAF cleaner
>1 week later, CEL is on again
>MAF again
>clean again
>1 week later, CEL is back
>still MAF
>replace whole fucking sensor housing
>this week, CEL comes on
>M
>A
>F
What the heck, Mazda?

philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5795952125.html

If I got this for $4500 would it be a fair deal?

buy one of these shift and hand brake boots

ebay.com/itm/FITS-MAZDA-MIATA-MX5-MK1-MK2-LEATHER-BOOTS-SILVER-STITHING-/231161356794?hash=item35d24a61fa:m:msgWd1A44d1tYCegoyPWsxQ

any of these brake handles (im personally eying that leather and satin one)

mossmiata.com/Browse/PlateMenuProducts.aspx?WebCatalogID=39&PlateTypeID=1&SubcomponentID=289&ComponentID=35

any of these voodoo shift knobs
mossmiata.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=126719

the moddiction anvil 2 knobs are also very good and extremely heavy
moddiction.com/store/product/search.aspx?searchterm=anvil,

also
WHOSE DICK DO I HAVE TO SUCK FOR
>decent condition black leather NB2 seat, or just a decent cloth black pair for less than $400
>undented NB2 trunk lid
>undented NB2 fender
>undented NB2 passenger door

i didn't realize black NBs are rare as fuck before i bought mine

My NA has a leaky stock exhaust, what's a good budget cat-back exhaust?

daily reminder the s2000 is better in everyway

too soon junior

Can someone ID this engine swap? I was looking at this 2002 Miata but I can't seem identify what engine this is, the seller said something about Virginia Tech but what does that have to do with engines

Looks like a VTEC

Thats definitely a w16 out of a veyron in what looks to be a mid 80's lincoln towncar.

Where are you at Googlefag? Some guy here in California has a pair of black leather NB2 seats for $125 that might still be available.

Mexican exhaust shop $50 special

Honda f20c?

yeah, it's still in the s2000

Just because it says it's the maf doesn't mean it actually is

$4500 would be good. 5500 is too much. You get pennies on the dollar back for mods, he should know that.

Y tho

Yonaka and ISR (formerly ISIS) catbacks are good

Or just have a shop build you one for cheap like the other user suggested

everything's in california innit?
i'm in massachusetts

pssh, that's unfortunate. I'll keep an eye out in the classifieds for you.

thanks bby
that said, i just found this down in alabama
ebay.com/itm/311325617747?euid=e71576bc1ef1496db6a432018a75588e&bu=43510692461&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu
probably overpriced considering the spoiler's fucked and i'll be removing that, but it is rust and dent free and the paint's in good shape. apparently if you ship to a business address it's free?

Bump

Hey post your interiors/pics of miata interiors that you've saved

Im thinking about making a headliner for my hardtop out of some patterned fabric

You're a dumbass. All a computer can tell you is what part appears to be out of normal contention, it could be a variety of other issues causing said problem. Always check electrics, always check other parts of the system, never just buy something.

Speaking of shift knobs I cut my extra one open.

I have a '98 miata with 82k km on the clock, but the serpentine belt squeals when it's cold.
Should I tighten it or replace it?
It appears to be in good condition.

monster

Go to a junkyard and buy a coil pack from there. Probably be like $30. Hell, check your local facebook miata group. People part out full cars all the time. Pick up a cheap coil from there.

You want one with a warrenty? Buy new. Thats what most of the cost is for anyways.

The coil on plug kit wont really make much difference until after your FI. You wont notice on a NA setup.

Id stick with stock for now, always gives you a working spare in case of future issues.

I have bad news for you. Thats not a miats.

>the seller said something about Virginia Tech
Does it kick in? yo

>Always check electrics, always check other parts of the system
Oh dang you mean I should check stuff? Gosh what a smart answer I can't believe I didn't think of that. Are you a professional mechanic?

Wew lads.

NB master race
Want to swap the final gear on mine to 4.3 or higher, saw a video on Youtube how to build a differential.
youtube.com/watch?v=dAqAqODmcj4
NOPE

Where at?

how much dosh can i expect to pay for a turbo conversion plus how is it gonna affect my insurance?

>LED bar headlights instead of projectors
i hate it but i like it?

I tried driving a NB yesterday and I couldn't fit ;_;

My legs were literally rubbing on the steering wheel and my feet were too big for the footwell.

Am I too tall to drive a NB? ;_;

depends on if you had the seat far enough back
it should be set up that with your shoulders flat against the back of the seat, with your arms fully extended, your wrists should be able to sit on top of the steering wheel.

are there any types of services which are designed to accept packages as a commercial address then hold that stuff for you to pick up for a fee?

there's a great condition black NB trunk being sold down in atlanta which needs to be freighted, its free shipping to a commercial address but like $150 for a residential address...

Can I have your steering wheel?

neither of the miats i've had have cruise :(

PO box or freight forwarding I guess

>tfw live near atlanta

>Spend all day fixing the AC on my NA6 at parent's place
>Blows at 40 F now
>Start to drive home
>Stop to get gas
>Car won't start back up

Spent an hour trying to figure it out. Battery was charged, jumped the clutch switch, still got nothing. No sound from the starter when I turn the key over. Dash lights up fine. Had to tow it the two miles back and take the family truck home. Any ideas, miatabros? Planning to check fuses tomorrow and put a multimeter on the starter.

>hype about buying a steering wheel
>notice that visible lump of plastic around the steering column

What an eyesore.

I had the seat all the way back and I sit completely straight. I literally had it in my knees and I couldn't even use the clutch it was so small.

I'm 6'5 so I'm pretty tall ;_;

lower aftermarketseats
taller wheel hubs
smaller steering wheel

My friend is 6'5 and races an NB, with a helmet on, hardtop, and a cage. Might need a different seat.

Mid Ohio, it was the SCCA Spec Miata finals today.

sounds like what happened to my old 1.8 swapped 1990 a while ago, it was the battery had somehow burned the connection to the starter so it wasn't getting any juice. Check the starter connections

user, I...

I think the hardtop miata don't look so bad but oh man saw my first one up-close and personal today and it was TINY.

Just looking at it looked like a death trap.

Thanks bae, I'll take a look.

Hey /mg/, quick question. My 91 Miata's passenger side headlight sits over the hood while closed, as seen in the attached pic. It's a salvage title, but I got it for $400 completely running so obviously it didn't really matter what condition it was in (pretty good condition for what I expected for $400). Question: Where would I start in taking things apart in order to fix the alignment issues? The hood on the driver's side also doesn't sit right, and it looks straight but idk.

guys help i'm so tempted to put eyelids on my NB

I scored a hardtop for 900 yesterday. Old boomer with neat garage had one that had been sitting for years. Already ordered side brackets from jass performance in fucking bulgaria of all places. Can't wait for hella stiffness.

What coilovers do you guys recommend? Which ones do you use?

Don't you fucking dare you bingus.

>black hardtop
fuck you i want it ;_;

I'm so happy that I was able to get one that matches my car. I want a two tone miata.

white's one of the few colors that two-tones well. black miatas just don't two tone well, they look wrong

but with a matching hardtop, black miatas objectively look the best. Just keep vigilant on your local miata facebook pages and craigslist. You'll find what you're looking for very quickly, they come on and off the market at a very fast rate.

I got the Jass Performance mounts on mine, makes the car a lot stiffer and solid than the stock mounts.

I also use Meister R coilovers on mine and I'm very happy with them. One of the few coilovers that lets you adjust height without adjusting the spring pre-load, the springs are softer than most others and the rebound is adjustable in a wide range so you can go from a very soft comfy setup to one that feels very stiff. When I ordered mine one could get 10% off by being a member on the mx5nuts forum.

Do you use the top mounts as well as the side mounts?

do the jass mounts squeak/rattle/creak a lot less as well?

Yes.
Super yes
Makes it feel like a solid roof, no rattles or squeaks.

fucking hell yeah that was my only reticence to getting a hard top

How did you get your top latches off? I've heard that they were red loctited

i recommend selling your car because it's white

Also have a friend to push the hardtop when tighten it, that way you will get less wind noise.
It was very easy for me. I used a pretty long wrench so I got a lot of momentum(maybe 12"), tried using a small tool and that was impossible.

Took my Miata to my first big city car meet. It was a Mazda cruise, and we went down a bunch of twisty backroads.
Seriously the most fun I've ever had, but my car can't grip for shit. It was oversteering around pretty much every turn. Gotta get me some new tires and some handling upgrades before next months meet.

and some coils :)

how do i tell if my manual trans is low on fluid?

it seems to have weeped somewhat over time but i don't know how much

Take out the fill hole and stick your finger in it. The fluid level should be up to the bottom of the fill hole.

when cold? when warm? with the engine on or off?

cold with the engine off. And you should do it on level ground.

>Celica drivetrain
wut no
I think he meant to swap the 2ZZ in, which is a bulletproof engine and well documented, cheap, and easy swap. The Elise used a version of the 2ZZ as well so putting it in a small midengine roadster like the MR-S makes sense. Also MR-S is pretty neat when riced up (imo).

I've driven both Mr-s and Nb/Na miatas in stock form and personally the mr-s feels a lot more capable, just curious as to how you guys would compare the two
>inb4 MIATA IS THE BEST THE BEST THE ONLY ANSWER IS MIATA

I have yet to drive one but they seem like fun cars. I use my miata as a daily driver though and the ZZW30 has even less storage space than my NA.

I've read that the ZZW30 was designed to basically "one up" the NB in every way. It's slightly lighter, slightly more powerful etc. So I guess its fairly capable.

If I owned one though I'd constantly be annoyed by the engine and how it should've been a 2ZZ.

>so shit at wrenching I stripped the 8mm bolt on the slave cylinder bleed valve
at least it's stuck closed

and this is why torque specs are a thing

i cant unbolt the cat any advice

Just take your car to a mechanic. You're shit at maintenance and it will be cheaper than fixing things you will fuck up.

can't get the nut off? rusted on?

see about renting or borrowing an impact driver, those really help with rusted bolts

how do i make my shitty NB look good?

get that fastback hardtop googlecarfag keeps posting

Spray with kroll oil, figure out a way to get pipe onto ratchet or find a better position to push your ratchet so you can either shred or break the fag loose.

Its worked for everything on my miat including suspension ironically, but I also might just be stronger than I was when I owned my eclipse.

Barring that he could just saw it off or use a torch.

Thoughts on a 2004 NB with 170k miles and hardtop for 5k?

Depends on what you have to work with

Foglights, wings, exhausts, and front bumpers are the easiest major aesthetic changers there are.