What's the most reliable shitbox that you can pick up for 3000-5000 dollars?

What's the most reliable shitbox that you can pick up for 3000-5000 dollars?
Doesn't need to be nice but just be reliable and take you places where you want and not leave you stuck somewhere you don't want to be.

read the fucking sticky.

and then buy a civic and stfu.

V O L V O
O
L
V
O

Not that Cross Country bullshit, I'm talking pre-1994

Toyota camry or Corolla. Better build quality and reliability than the civic, but parts might be more expensive.

If you can grab an early to mid 2000s Corolla, I would go that route. A bunch of friends have had those things for years and they drive almost the same at 120k as they did at 20k with minimal maintenance. Late 90s and early 00s Civics and Accords are straight too, I'm just always suprised with how tight those Corollas feel at 150k without a brand new suspension.

Toyota Camry
Toyota Corolla
Toyota 4Runner
Honda Accord

Jeep Cherokee

Just picked one up for my niece, will be sub 2k even after doing everything and it's fucking pristine. Beware there are 9 beat shit boxes for every screaming deal, but around 3k they start to be nice

Buy a civic for 3k and shut up.

Pre 1995 vulva
Lexus ls400
Any gen of Avalon/Camry
W124/123

Mazda 323f/protégé
Corolla
Civic
W201, w124 w126
Passat B3, B4, B5
Old Volvos
That said most of these are old shitboxes
On that budget look for something new with high mileage and service history

>American engineering
Wake me up inside
>Jeep
Can't wake up

He said RELIABLE user

The AMC 4.0 is well known as an unkillable engine. It wouldn't be my first choice to recommend but it's not a terrible option.

Mercedes 240d or 300d

Volvo 240

Just about anything that runs good if you aren't an incapable retard and aren't afraid to get your hands dirty.

>get a 90s foreign shitbox
>spend twice as much on replacement parts
good plan

Jesus christ, every time we have this thread 90%+ of the answers will be something along the lines of

- get a late 90s Toyota product

There's a strong reason why Camry reliability is a persistent meme everywhere online

/thread

Yup. Meanwhile if something breaks on your jeep (like anything) you can literally go buy a whole other shit jeep, actually drive it home and use its part for like $500. Then refresh whatever else you feel like refreshing and still getting at least $100 from somebody you can call anytime to haul off the remains.

Fuck, if you can do even basic car maintenance almost any car can be a reliable shitbox.

Change your oil? You engine won't blow up.
Don't drive like an idiot? You transmission won't die.
Look at your temperature gauge and for any lights on your dash? You won't have an overheat or your engine get oil starved.

The *ONLY* thing that can leave you stranded that you cannot see 1000 miles beforehand and fix for 40 bucks at O'reilly's (typically) is an alternator dying, and that is easy on basically every vehicle.

aw11

>The *ONLY* thing that can leave you stranded

>what are relays

there's plenty of things that would leave you stranded

>spend twice as much on replacement parts

>drive old civic
>parts are dirt cheap

>Relay
>Ever goes out on a car without a fucked up alternator or an 18 year old's shorted out sub.

I have *never* come across a car with a blown relay. They are low voltage and typically encased from corrosion. You'd much sooner blow a fuse.

>I have *never* come across a car with a blown relay

>i have never owned a classic car

my old jeep would burn up ignition switches and leave you stranded

also the main relay on my ef civic was not functioning properly (no-start intermittent) and i had to reflow the solder joints

>low voltage
>constant 12v

Should have said low amperage.

But aside from that
>Classic cars
>Pre-1990 probably

I'm sorry, I didn't think someone would consider anything pre-OBDII as a reliable shitbox. That just goes without saying.

>classic honda
>not reliable

it is not currently running

Well you prove your own point.