Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/lemmyrodul/ed3/s-yKgx4
poal.me/33ujzy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

> Models/art/textures/sprites
>opengameart.org
>blender-models.com
>mayang.com/textures

Add turbosquid, blendswap and cgtextures to the fucking list.

How do you clear your mind when deving depresses you

>it's an argue over what does and what does not constitute pixel art episode

W H O

C
A
R
E
S

It's textures.com now user

>I've heard this argument before so you're wrong

Tell me, user, what are you doing instead of working on your game?

Watching youtube videos and crying

Doing homework and shitposting.

Play some vidya on the console, or take a hot bath wile listening to the Hotline Miami OST.

Does anybody else feel like a hack?

I got into game making to make games I would enjoy playing, or making things to imitate my favorite style or evens series of games.

Then I see these actual successful and famous game developers talk about the systematic themes and elements they add into their games to make everything redress the central point they are going for.

I feel like a hack- imitation without understand. I don't know how to create high concept original ideas, and I feel ashamed.

watching a vidya stream while thinking how to redesign one of the systems in my game to avoid spaghettification

Those big game devs talking about shit generally didn't come up with those things alone instantly.

They likely had a team coming up with a bunch of ideas and they iterated on them until they got what they wanted. There's a shitload of stuff that didn't work they often don't talk about, don't just assume they hit the jackpot on the first thing they tried.

Think about it this way. If you're feeling like a hack you're probably past Mount Stupid. That's a good thing.

Input manager is the perfect place to use a manager-like structure though. In the manager you check for each input once per update and scripts that need to do shit with input subscribe to the relevant events.

It encapsulates the checking of input into one place making it much easier to modify input related code and alter it to support different kinds of input for example.

bullying VN "devs" in the discord

We have VN devs? Post

trying to convince myself to continue enginedev

Hi

I made a pumpkin for kids and this soundcloud.com/lemmyrodul/ed3/s-yKgx4

Isn't that a point and click?

the next themed game jam had better be dinosaurs

Your art is bretty gud btw

If it's mostly puzzle and dialogue and less a collect-a-thon mix-and-combine - isn't it more a VN than an Adventure game?

Fuck me that's rad user

I guess

Very good! Try to make the synth louder and turn up the bass on that, it should sound even cooler.

Don't forget to vote for the next game jam.

poal.me/33ujzy

Hey anons please help me out with some math/logic.

In GM, 60 steps are 1 second.

If every step I do irandom(59) (chooses random number from 0 to 59), I will have 1 in 60 chance each step for that to return 1. What is that in % chance? So every second what is the chance of returning 1? By that logic the chances are very high, like almost 100%. (I'm a stupid fuck who didn't pay attention in school)

How can I control this more? Say I want every step (or second) to have N% chance of something happening, how can I do that most simply without me having to calculate the chance every time? (which I don't even know how)

While AI is casting a spell over say 20-120 steps, it checks every step if conditions for that spell are still met, like whether the target is still in line of sight. That's why I'm checking this every step. I could potentially check it every 5 steps or so, but I still need to understand what irandom(N) need I put to get the desired percentage. I could say make a function that intakes % of something happening in that 1 step or over 1 second, but I don't know how.

When are showing the Killing Floor track you shared on the Discord?

It's actually only a 64% chance.
I don't know why you'd do something so convoluted or what its for but its not 100% at all.

>VN
Why

if you're making sprites that get flipped during the game (rather than drawing separate left and right facing sprites), how do you decide to put the sprite's light source? do you just put it in a neutral spot like above or pillow shade or something?

>I will have 1 in 60 chance each step for that to return 1. What is that in % chance?
For every frame the % chance is the same. What you're looking for is probability. The probability to get 1 goes up the more frames you go through but it will never reach a 100% chance to get 1.

most successful devs can't replicate their success

I actually had an idea for a kinetic novel. My idea was a black comedy/mystery about a rookie detective investigating a murder. I jotted a few ideas down, but then I realized it was just another Ace Attorney case, except without the puzzles. Also I have 0 art skill.
I dunno, would anyone actually want to play it if I made it?

If you want it to happen once every second, you could instead just roll for a random number between one and sixty and have whatever you want to happen happen that many steps since the start of a second.

followed Shaun Spauldings platformer tutorial.
I know its babies first game, but Im gonna try to make the enemy animate.

I'll sure do user!

It's finished but I'm not super satisfied with it. I'll post it one time to not spam. I'm making a youtube account with all my music, but it'll be on my soundcloud too. It's cool you remember it man!

Will I get caught using pirated software?

no

Story can be as equally appealing as actual game play.

However I probably wouldn't play it if were a long title and I'd appreciate some eye-candy while I'm clicking/mashing through the dialog.

I guess it's about presentation.

I just want to have arbitrary N% chance of something happening, but because I'm checking this every step I don't know what numbers to input to get desired percentage overall.

Say AI has a spell that takes 120 steps to cast. Each step it checks whether its target is still in line of sight and if it isn't it stops casting the spell. But it also has a chance to cast it anyway, even if target isn't in line of sight. So every step I have to do a check like "if irandom(N) { }", but since it is in steps and since in this case this check will be made 120 times over 120 steps (2 secs) I'm not at all sure what N should be to get the arbitrary desired percentage/chance. I could do this check say every 5-10 steps instead, but then the N needs to be different.

Only if you actually make money.

Like one of those user said, why do you need to do it every step?
Why not just roll once at your desired odds, as and when you need it?

In your example you're constantly rolling for whether the spell is cast after the target is lost, without even knowing if that will happen. Seems silly.

How do they catch you if you do make money?

>yfw the programming switch finally turns on and you start having fun

why not do a single line-of-sight check at the halfway point with a 50% chance of failure, or something

>can't decide on a dev name
>never able to show progress on other boards than Veeky Forums/agdg

I feel like a complete retard. I can produce the finest progress but no name with a ring to it.

h-helb

you are now called froggey blue

"[name of thing/word you like]dev"

You like frogs eh? Why not Keroppi?

Or rather Keroppepe. It's Keroppi + Pepe. Double the frogs.

>MasturbateToChineseCartoonGirlsdev

that's too complicated user.

im not sure if i should ditch the chaps.
this is my protagonist and his concept art as well. ive learned its very difficult to translate a full drawing to 32x16 pixels.
im not very good at art, but like programming and music im sure ill grow better as i do more of it

don't post your game, keep blogposting tho

>tfw to intelligent to collab with anyone

By auditing your ass

Ok, how about OnanimeDev
オナニ + アニメ + Dev

>but like programming and music im sure ill grow better as i do more of it

i'm sorry m8

Any ideaguy can help me for the plot of my game?
An A-RPG...

Take advantage of stylization to better represent the important elements of the design. For instance I would make his head big so it can read better as a skull.

i think i made it worst
im already falling down the rabbit hole. send help

>A-RPG

what's the point if you're never going to finish it?

That's pretty fun that most of the time when you ask for help here, instead of answering, people say "whatever you're not going to finish it. It's useless to help you..."

you picked one of the hardest genres to nodev, i hope you have a team of nodevs to help you otherwise you won't finish it.

What is the likelihood of that happening?

Woke up and modeled on blender for about 2 hours on a new character
Then my friend woke up and we bought some chicken to make curry, we cooked and woke up second friend to eat
Now I'm hanging with second friend and about to start modeling again

dont mind the resident shitposter, please

How do I make a Morrowind clone?

Depends how much you make. If you make fuck all you won't be worth the effort.

>new character

well where is it? all talk no show like a true nodev

The difference is that I'm a dev. I've already finished a project, and I'm not only determined but I've also worked my project to make it doable and not overly complex. The only thing I lack is a story...

I do know that, but I'm sad that a full year later, shitposter are still the first to answer...

a story? do you already have characters as a basis or are you starting from scratch here? story wise not gameplay wise.

>you starving to death
>person gives you whole turkey
>you cant eat it all because youre not joey
>starve to death because there is no point in start eating since not gonna finish

i really like bunnydev and want to be his friend

1px outline at that resolution isn't a very good idea

There is a bad guy, doing something bad. Perhaps he is installing smoke detectors without wiring them up correctly.

You, the good guy, have to stop him.

It's not finished yet
It's missing both are and legs and has no textures
I'm kind of modeling and designing it at the same time too so I'm not sure what to do with the face either
It usually takes me at least 6 hours

Your anger is not welcome here.

the sprite will blend in if it doesn't have an outline at that resolution

i used to like him but after the third autism fit i stopped

Story wise, basically I have the main character being half scorpion half human...
That's it.
And the world is sort of a fantasy world, but not a tolkien fantasy world.

>tfw google used you game idea

fug

You take a first person camera, add some wonky physics and basic controls and then proceed to add dozens of work years worth of 3d models and writing and systems to it.

Not if you don't suck at colors.

RoR for example.

did you just assume my gender???

>gamedev is life

i don't see what your gender has to do with being friends

>youre not joey
what did he mean by this?

Dude what the fuck you ate your second friend in a curry?

I'm going to go a bit more in depth as to how my AI spell casting and selecting system works. It is very possible I am doing it completely wrong.

When AI is not casting and if it has a target, it is checking every step for every spell it has whether it can cast that spell. So for every spell it goes through a list of conditions, like is the target in line of sight, is no ally affront of me, is ally near me, does that ally have low life, etc. Then it adds all the applicable spells to a list and then randomly selects one to cast (with some bias too but that's irrelevant). After it casts a spell it takes a short break before going through every spell again to see if they're castable, choosing one of them and casting it. This is just the spell selection part, but while it seems like there's way too much computing going on, especially with many AI instances holding many different spells, I don't know how else I can do this? For example one way I could think of is selecting a spell at random first, then afterwards checking its casting conditions and if they're not met selecting a different spell again. But what if AI has a healing spell that needs to check whether ally is low life? Then that approach doesn't work as what if AI chooses a different spell than a healing spell. There need to be casting conditions and priorities for all sorts of different spells and situations.
Continued in next post

After the AI has selected its spell it begins casting it over 20-200 steps, or however long the casting time of the spell is. Then a step before it is finished casting the spell, it checks all the casting conditions of the spell again, because things could have changed, like an ally walking affront or the target hiding behind a wall. Here I want to have say 20% chance that the AI casts the spell regardless if it meets the casting conditions. Here I can do that by simply doing "irandom(4)", which equals 20% chance. The problem is that the AI is running the same casting conditions checks code every step while not casting for spell selection. This means that that "irandom(4)" is now 20% chance per step, so the chance of AI casting this spell regardless of the conditions is no longer 20% chance but much higher, practically 100% chance over the time it takes him to cast the spell. Instead of having 2 different conditions checks that take this into account, I perhaps stupidly decided to go with irandom() suitable for being run every step and change the conditions check to not only happen just before finishing casting a spell but also every step during casting. Now using this system, how can I correctly use irandom() to get the desired arbitrary percentage/chance? Or should I just have 2 separate conditions scripts, but that sounds impractical. I should probably just handle casting condition checking better, but I don't know how. Any ideas?

RoR has a very simple artstyle that cannot afford an outline or even detail at all (at least on the main player)

its not about my gender its about you assuming things you uncultured cis nigger *unsheates 1000 katanas*

I've been wathing same KotH YTPs everyday for 2 months now.

*teleports behind you*

could have at least eaten him in his sleep, waking him up first is just too cruel

why not
>when aggro is gained
>choose between cast/wait
>when cast/wait time is up, repeat