What does Veeky Forums use to lift their car to work on it...

What does Veeky Forums use to lift their car to work on it? Need to lift my half ton truck up about 6 - 12 inches to safely work under it.

Are decent (Craftsman) jackstands to be trusted? What about pic related(ramps)?

What do?

Race ramps.

If you are really fancy, get the ones that have the ability to remove the ramp part, leaving your car on just blocks.

for suspension or brake work, you will still need a jack and jack stands.

Just make ramps out of wood. All you need is a drill and some screws.

They're less expensive and safer than those chinese plastic/steel ramps they sell in stores.

I use cheap jackstands but always threw few pieces of wood for security.

been using harbor freight for years, even put a diesel super duty on them to do front bearings.

I use a forklift

Ooh i got a horror story about this
>was doing work at local used car lot
>we didn't have an inspection license so my boss made an agreement with a shop to get cars stickered after we did the work
>Go take this heap we just got running barely enough to sell with a big ol warranty attached so we could take the car back fix it and send the bill to the warranty company
>park it, throw keys to desk guy, go wait outside because the inspections are usually fast anyway
>watch tweedle dee and tweedle dumb trying to pull a motor out of a ford f150 with a forkift
>picking the entire car up because they forgot to unbolt the fucking manifolds and they were hanging up and bending the whole exhaust
>sit there drinking my coffee watching these jokers try to figure out why this damn engine isn't coming out

I'm still not dumb enough to do that haha (I took it out myself, friends have no idea how a car even runs)

A real floor Jack and stands. some of those ramps are for shit boxes and will fold like wet tissue under a truck.

I just use ramps easy and if the car don't run u can jack it up and slide them in

50 year old GDR lift, works perfectly fine up to 2 tons and I feel much safer under this than under modern lifts. Pic related isn't mine though.

Yeah I use a pair of old ramps like that, works well at home, little scary with heavier cars and trucks, but I forget about that once I start working.

>Are decent (Craftsman) jackstands to be trusted? What about pic related(ramps)?

I don't trust my chinese-sourced jack stands, so I made two wooden blocks to slide under the side rails as insurance against jack stand failure. Mine are NOT as high as the one in the picture which someone else posted in a thread before. When making mine, I drilled small diameter pilot holes for the nails. This keeps the wood from splitting like you see in the picture.

Once I slide the wooden blocks under there, I feel a lot of relief and peace of mind. After that, I can work under the car without fear.

Curb?

i built some, used 2x10 and made 6' bottom layer, then 4.5', then 3', then 1.5'. works great

A 6x10 is more like 9 inches wide than 10 inches. It won't fall sideways if someone leans on the car?

> Working on it
I do oil changes with the car on ramps. Any other maintenance I can do doesn't require underside access.

Have you considered getting a reliable car you don't need to 'work on' every weekend?

2x10 is actually 1.5 inches x 9 and a quarter inches so in reality it's 9 and a quarter inches wide and 6 inches tall. the wheels I have on my car currently are only like 7 inches wide so i have no issue with stability, it's extremely sturdy considering it's only the front wheels off the ground. i dont know how wide your tires are, but you could always go for 2x12 which is 11 and a quarter inches wide for added stability if you're concerned. i just wouldn't go higher than 3-4 levels of wood. the ones i built only required 30ft of lumber and i already had 9 feet laying around so i just picked up some 2x10x12s and had them cut them in half at lowes to fit them in my car. worked out nicely. but if you have massive tires on your truck that are wider than the plank, i wouldn't suggest it.

>He doesn't mod his car

to clear things up i built it in layers out of the 2x10. the bottom being 6 feet long, 4.5 feet and so on. i re read your reply and i think i confused you there.

Jacking points are non existent from rust so I use a scissor jack on a part the control arms mount to at the front, if I'm at a friends house we use a hydraulic jack and sometimes even jack stands. One of these day's I'll have ramps and hack some sub frame connectors in.

>having a pit

Floor Jack and two jack stands.

The jack was probably one of my favorite purchases as it makes all sorts of shit easy. And I wouldn't have been able to finish my control arm/balljoint without it.

2 ton lo pro jack, vatozone ac delco 2 ton jackstands, walmart wheel chocks, and finally a willingness to accept youre literally crawling under a 1-2 ton deathtrap being held up by only the best of chinese engineered and produced tools

Jackstand and 2x4s

I usually jack a vehicle up, then stick my other jack or four to six cinderblocks or both under it and some bricks if i don't need it two cinderblocks high.

Sometimes I jack it up and dig a trench to where I need to slide under if I can't find any blocks and im in dirt or gravel

I have a semi related question.
How do I change my clutch without a transmission lift?
I dont like the idea of wrassling with a 150 pound cast iron turd while laying on my back.

You can tie rope around the car top to bottom to hold the transmission in place, and then use a regular jack or two to slowly lower it after its unbolted and on the rope

Its the shitty but free method.

>Cinderblocks

Those can crumble and crack under stress.

Wear dirty clothes, you'll have to do some rasslin no matter what

It'd have to be a pretty catastrophic failure for four to six of them to break tho, and its not like you are slamming the car onto them you kinda just ease it on and then shake and push the fag a bit and listen for noise, for that many cinderblocks and my jacks to fail would mean I was just destined to die at that moment.

Just buy one, don't cheap out on shit like this.

Though not as heavy, I had to balance a 30 pound fuel tank on 2x4s and DVD cases while bolting the straps and it was a PITA, unbolting a 150 pound trans will be hell.

i like the good old two friends and a jack method. both tugging on the tranny one front, one back both yelling at the other telling what needs to happen while good ole jackson holds the weight of the tranny. use clothes you're prepared to throw away, dont wash clothes if they have gear oil on them, it only contaminates the rest of the load, i learned the hard way.

Do you really want to end up like those Liveleak victims, specially with an LSD or tranny support inches from your forehead.

i did that not too long ago, instead i just bolted up the rear of the straps and used my knees to push the tank where it needed to go. worked gr8 m8, didn't even have to jack the car up.

Sometimes you just eat shit man, I figured you would have come to terms with the fact you can die pushing various shitboxes and shitbikes to their limits on public roads.

So I don't really care If I end up dead from something like that.

No, it means you're a fucking idiot who gambled his life over a 30 dollar set of jack stands from Autozone

I tried with my knees, even with the rear jacked up, it wasn't high enough, it was a serious pain in the ass, I had to balance it on Jackie Chan DVDs with one hand while bolting it with the other.

Watch a few 3rd world factory gore videos and you will change your tune.

also just remembered i rolled the tranny off my jack when putting it in my s13. hit me in the jaw and hurt like a bitch for 2 weeks, turned my head instinctively i guess im glad though since it didn't hit me in the teeth. also smashed the shit out of my right arm, but hey its in there

OP here. The only consensus I see ITT is that you should not cheap out.

Are the ~$700 20 ton ramps worth it?

What should I get if my budget is $100. I already have a good floor jack and some 3.5 ton stands, I just want more.

>$700
Might as well just save up a little more and get a used hydrolic lift at that point.

Did you shit your pants? I would have

Check your area for hourly rent a shops, my city has a couple called U Fix It that lets you rent a fully equipped garage or a simple one with a lift.

This, and the additional thousands to install it.

can i just get the walmart rhino ramps? will i die?

>seconding

I use a 2-post bendpak lift

Cheap shit is okay aslong as you make sure to over compensate. What i mean by this is if you have jackstands rated at 3 tons, only ever put a vehicle that is 2tons. And so on and so fourth.

i use this

I see you already thought about the stability by not building it too high. The taller the ramp, the wider it has to be to prevent the car from falling over from a lateral force. The size of tires doesn't matter if the car's front end acts like it's on stilts from the ramp being too tall for its width.

10/10 would bro out with

you guys seriously look like a pair of faggots.