Toyota Supra

After the failiure of the new Honda NSX, will the new Supra be a disappointment?
Was the JZA80 Supra even that enjoyable to drive to begin with? I always heard it was a bit of a fatass compared to its competition.

Here it is testing at the Nordschlieffe youtu.be/K_1Dj0OrxYE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pkbD0rP5ISY
youtube.com/watch?v=baFh6DiuVqo
youtube.com/watch?v=fTsTyxg5eJQ
fastestlaps.com/tracks/thermal-club-raceway
youtu.be/2N17mfwVwgk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I can almost guarantee it will be an over priced piece of shit with too much technology, like the nsx.

would people really mind that much if they just restarted the production of the previous one

>will the new Supra be a disappointment?
Yes. Just look at what Honda did to the new NSX, they fucked EVERY SINGLE THING up.

Old NSX
Reasonably light sports car with good performance

New NSX
Pig fat hybrid "super" car that is slower than every other hybrid supercar and slower than every similarly priced supercar

Old NSX
Simple, elegant, timeless styling

New NSX
Busy, edgy styling, not impressive

Old NSX
Honda reliability and durability

New NSX
Everything is complicated, will be a nightmare to keep on the road past a decade

Old NSX
A true drivers car from paper to production

New NSX
A 2-ton MUH LAP TIMES supercar that is barely competitive

Old NSX
Took the world by storm

New NSX
People waited for it for so long that when it finally came out even the magazines went "meh"

It wouldn't sell. The styling is dated jellybean bullshit and the engine would not impress anyone.

I own a supra, it's extremely enjoyable.

The mk4 does not feel pigfat whatsoever.

It feels like a longer and wider 240z, to be honest.

You will hear tons of idiots who won't ever own one spewing memes about MUH STRAIGHT LINE but the supra actually is extremely capable in corners.

Search up "orido's supra" and see some of the videos of it going around a track. The jap tuners worked their magic and made a ton of carbon fibre parts, including full bodykits for it.

It's possible to get 1250kg easy as pie if you splash a bit of cash. Without removing anything, just replacing parts with lighter versions.

Even without any sort of weight reduction, mine turns in as light as a 240z, in fact the weight over the rear tires actually helps quite a lot in powering out of corners.
tl:dr not just a straight line car

>a car can go around a track well with tons of mods
>a car can be made lighter by spending thousands on carbon fiber parts
wow I didn't know that how amazing

He's got a point. Name a car with out of the box carbon fibre parts sitting around for it?

Very few cars have that much aftermarket, you need the parts to be custom made.

So you are saying that, as a stock car, it's a pigfat turd that cant turn

>a aftermarket mod looks better than the official model

Exactly my point, these tuners are mass selling CF parts to make it actually achievable.

If you're going to shitpost, go join alphonse, i think he's on suicide watch after the latest radical press release.

It's actually the absolute opposite. It's kerb weight is very well balanced and pushes weight back onto the rear wheels to have MASSIVE traction. It's hips also provide shit tons of downforce.

Until you've swung one out of a corner at triple the advised speed and felt like you were 100% safe, you won't understand what i mean.

Looks like shit.

If you want a Bentley Continental GT, just buy one. They depreciate faster than an Audi.

anyone telling you it's a fatass is some shitposting faggot who has never driven one and is only looking at the kerb weight.

it's basic Veeky Forums shitposting.

now i'm not saying it's the BEST handling car, but it's a trillion times better handling than many new cars.

the car just has a fuck stupid amount of downforce, if you've ever seen one in person you'll see just how low the roof actually is, the defined hips that force the rear wheels into the ground.

>I-It's a good car because if you do 300kg of weight reduction and £10k in mods it can be capable!

I hear a lot of dumb shit but this was the dumbest I've heard in a while.

Almost any car will be 'fast' with such mods.

the kerb weight is actually lighter than a skyline GTR.

One has stupid downforce, one has AWD.

You missed the fucking point he was making. The japanese tuners are mass producing these CF parts, making them more affordable and accessible.

Try getting custom REAL CF parts made, it won't be fucking 10 grand to get an entire car's worth.

He was making a statement on the aftermarket support the car has.

That's fucking hideous though

So you did not read what i wrote and just glossed over for the answer you wanted to see?
Read what i wrote again, it's fantastic at handling STOCK.

And yes, i was making a statement about how it has an amazing aftermarket, which makes it very easy for it to get a lot better.

Correct about the downforce.

Are you just fucking dumb or actually suggesting the supra is not a capable car stock?

judging by how they castrated the GT86, it'll be an another under powered meme machine riding the coat tails of toyota's former glories.

It's around 7 grand for all the major CF parts for my car but whatever

Most 90's Jap cars with at least a semi-decent following have easily as good aftermarket as the Supra. The Supra's main calling is that it can make large power decently reliably.

The Supra really isn't that great at handling, a crazy modded one with 600bhp went around the ring 6 seconds faster than a pigfat 2011 sti sedan amazing.

This. The supra was absolutely legendary and not just because of it's engine. All around solid fucking performance.

But if they give it the 86 treatment...

>kerb
>kerb

no.

The new Supra will be based on the next gen BMW Z4.

When has the Z4 ever been considered a competitive sportscar?

The Supra RZ-R was taking on the Honda NSX Type-R and Nissan Skyline GT-R V specs of the early 2000s.

You fuckers won't buy it anyway
>>GT86 comes out
>>basically what all you fuckers asked for
>>excuses about engine power, lap times around a track in a country you will never go to, ect.
>>"I'll buy one when it gets to roughly the price of a used 90's Kia"

If I was a car manufacturer I would waste my money on you neckbeards

Same thing is currently happening with the Focus ST/RS

Got a link to how modified this car actually was? Or was it just power and stock handling. For a RWD car to come ahead of a AWD car that's still quite impressive.

Provide source pls

What this guy said. To anyone calling the supra pigfat, or saying it can't compete...ask yourself why it went toe to toe on a regular basis with the NSX and GTR time after time on video option.

There is countless proof that put in the hands of a good driver, it will destroy.

youtube.com/watch?v=pkbD0rP5ISY

Tsuchiya, a man who regularly drifts 1000kg cars singing it's praises as a quality starting point for mods is all you need to know.

He's brutally honest if a car has any shortcomings. Of course it's not the ultimate car like some of these retarded JAYYYYDM fanbois say, but it's still in the upper tier of cars for a reason.

amerifat detected

The Supra is a meme car. There's nothing that good about it besides the engine.

youtube.com/watch?v=baFh6DiuVqo

3 minutes in

>The heaviest of the 3 cars appears to have the most amount of traction

t. person who's never owned, driven one

But hey, i guess you know better than the japanese heavyweights.

I guess we're all just imagining it's performance, despite the fact the above video shows it has a clear traction advantage on the lighter rx-7

No shit there are faggots who meme and overstate it's potential, but it's not an american car.

It can fucking turn and turn in HARD.

Seen that one before, it's a good video to highlight why you don't run race tires in the rain kek

It also shows that weight can HELP a car, something people here just don't understand.

Weight over the wheels assists in traction. There is a difference between a car like a pigfat sedan having tons of weight all over the place and orido's supra, or a porsche 911 having weight right over the rear wheels, or suspension pushing that weight back.

As the video shows, it actually helps quite a lot. There's solid engineering behind it.

But engineering principles are too hard for this board so they just spew MUH PIGFAT meme because shifting weight is too hard a concept to understand for them.

They do it to the GTR too, without taking into account the nissan engineers intentionally made it that heavy (there's a interview where they explain why).

Here's another video of a supra coming in third against a fucking ferrari f40 and the old nsx, destroying 2 built 911's, including a RUF built one, a rx-7

youtube.com/watch?v=fTsTyxg5eJQ

Pretty damn impressive for something that's pigfat and "can't turn"

CAN ANYONE NAME anyone on the current Supra's development team? What were they involved in previously?

The engine isn't even good. It's heavy as hell.
>hur dur 800hp on stock internals
yeah sure that's nice enjoy your single turbo lag monster dyno queen

Current supra will most likely be shit, if it's given the 86 treatment.

Old supra will forever remain legendary for shit like this
Holy fuck, actually going toe to toe with a NSX-R that's modded off it's tits and a f40 (literal race car that's street legal) is very impressive.

Thanks for the videos guys, this has changed my mind. I guess it can handle.

I am

Yeah, me too.
AMA

battles like that are the worst way to compare car vs car though, you know this. Too many variables
Hint: whichever car tsuchiya gets has an advantage

>supra

only for ricers and children who cant actually afford them

I think it will be shit because of the hybrid systems. What is worse, if it came out like the new NSX or like the 86? Hybrid "sports" car or underpowered driver's car?

lel toyota cucks excited for a rebadged BMW Z5, get ready for internet shitposts about your dream car.

Holy fuck that looks so fucking ugly, and the suspension looks soft and floaty

it's a hybrid lol

This is what they should have done, with minor visual updates for normies to enjoy (swirly lines stretched lights and more curves), and a new powertrain. Why not implement the UZ blocks they use in Lexus cars? A twin turbo V8.
If not that then a re-fresh of the 2JZ but with a lighter aluminium block. Put a few extra airbags here and there and sell it for 40-50k.

Not fucking difficult to be honest my friends.

Ugly? Really? Reminds me of the RX-7.

>suspension looks soft and floaty
Wat

Be honest bro. Do you really think the nsx was ever going to compete with the supercars at a reasonable price? The bar was so much lower when the first nsx came out than now.

I'm pretty sure Tada San who was in charge of the 86 is working on the supra.

I have faith in Toyota, more than Nissan/Mitsubishi/Honda

86 is good though

Nothing wrong with ZCoupes mate.

>Nothing wrong with ZCoupes mate.
Nothing inspiring about them either. No one reminisces about a BMW Z3/Z4/Z8.

>No one reminisces about a BMW Z3/Z4/Z8.

The Z3/Z4 M coupes are very desirable.

I would love to own one.

how come tsuchiya lost to the supra then when he was driving the rx-7 (which is lighter) in a cornering battle?

the video above that showed what a huge role downforce can play, which the supra has loads of.

anyone calling it pigfat is instantly a moron in my eyes, as they're too stupid to understand it's weight gives it an advantage in a similar way to how a 911 uses it's weight to it's advantage.

>le rose colored goggles
Just end your life senpai

Integra
Civic
Accord
S2000
WRX/STI
Evo
BRZ/FRS
3 series

and basically every high end sports car/supercar out there if you don't mind spending an insane amount of money

daily reminder that Mazda will save us

Because they weren't featured in an iconic movie and didn't cease production without a successor.

I'm gonna laugh so hard when this turns about to be another $150,000 hybrid

Last I heard he was not brought on the project. But this was well before any of the spy shots given (just after the unavailing of the FT-1 concept), so he could have been involved as of recently.

Would the new NSX have done better if they didn't call it an NSX? I think Honda just wanted a supercar and needed the NSX name to get people excited.

Hopefully they don't fuck up the new S2K and just keep it simple

Why does it look so stupid?

Modern Japanese car design.

Guaranteed a new rotary coupe will start under $50k. Mazda knows they don't have the brand positioning to get away with something ridiculously expensive.

>Hopefully they don't fuck up the new S2K and just keep it simple

Have you been under a rock? It already came out.
>10/10 would mid-engined kei car

Failure of the nsx? It's faster than everything short of the three euro hyper cars and the barely stteet legal viper acr track car

>this poster is a full on retard
Only cars that are faster are either almost a million dollars or a soon to be discontinued viper

>would people really mind that much if they just restarted the production of the previous one

To be honest, i don't think they would. There is a real high demand for 90's japanese tuner cars. I would say sell them as kit/replicas like Factory Five or Superlite does under a different name.

Superlite Type 32 (Skyline R32)
Superlite Type 33 (Skyline R33)
Superlite Type 34 (Skyline R34)
Superlite MK4 (Toyoyta Supra MK4)
Superlite Type 7 (Mazda FD RX7)

etc,etc,etc.

>Would the new NSX have done better if they didn't call it an NSX?
No. It would've done better if they didn't call it an NSX and hype it for 5 years before releasing a totally unimpressive product. It would've been impressive if they had released it a couple of years before the trio of hybrid supercars, but now everyone's just
>meh, another hybrid supercar, except this time it's slow

Nigger you had best be joking, the S series has been around for a long ass time, well before the S2000, how the FUCK is the new S660 a new S2000 when there was an S600 before the S2000?

It's slower than non-hybrid McLarens and Ferraris

>hurr durr muh japanese car wins on japanese show

kek

>Nigger you had best be joking, the S series has been around for a long ass time, well before the S2000, how the FUCK is the new S660 a new S2000 when there was an S600 before the S2000?

>hurr durr it's not bigger so it's not better
'muircah

fastestlaps.com/tracks/thermal-club-raceway

>It's faster than everything short of the three euro hyper cars and the barely stteet legal viper acr track car
>Only cars that are faster are either almost a million dollars or a soon to be discontinued viper

lol wut
It was slower than the Viper ACR, R8 V10, McLaren 570S, AMG GT S and GT350R in motor trend's latest test you delusional hondafags

>cherrypicked track
>no controls

See >motor trend
Lol

>n-n-no! those results are invalid because I SAID SO
>check my totally concrete results on this cherrypicked dataset!

There is control, your damage control

>more damage control

>this thread
Wow I'm honestly surprised there are this many honda fanboys left after how unapologetically shit honda has been for the last decade

Daily reminder gm or dodge or ford us have never ever won f1 while Honda has :^)

More importantly:
Toyota in F1: 140 races entered
0 races won

At least they dominate wec

>they fucked EVERY SINGLE THING up
This is what happens when you hire a woman to design your cars

It wasn't on stock handling it was on 18kg springs which is pretty much dedicated track stiffness for anything in Europe

tripped out with Blitz-Konig RS-2000 carbon/kevlar buckets, Sabelt harnesses, Heigo 4 point rollcage with side bars, TRD steering wheel, additional boost, oil and water temperature gauges (all Blitz).

Front - Blitz Z-1 9x18" split-rims with 245/40 ZR Dunlop W-10 tyres
Rear - Blitz Z-1 10x18" split-rims with 265/35 ZR Dunlop W-10 tyres

Front - Brembo Ferrari F0 setup consisting of ventilated 332mm discs (35mm thick)
Rear - Toyota standard 320mm discs (28mm thick)
PFC carbon metric pads all round.

ront - double wishbone with Sachs two-way damper and Eibach co-axial spring (rated - 18kg)
Rear - double wishbone with Sachs two-way damper and Eibach co-axial spring (rated - 12kg)
Toyota original anti-roll bar, TRD rear subframe bushes, Blitz prototype top mounts.

>the honda fanboy immediately throws a sperg-fit over american cars despite nobody else having mentioned them in the entire thread
Incredible how predictable hondaboys are

Ford is superinfluential in F1 via Cosworth DFV

>Active spoiler
Im all in for tech and stuff but leave SOMETHING for show instead of making it fully flat
Really hope the final thing wont look like this

Truth.

Accord

please link me to full carbon fibre kits for an accord

he was not talking about a few bits, he's talking about structural replacement.

against other japanese cars

my god nigger are you stupid?

we've got 2 videos of the supra outperforming the LIGHTER rx-7, with the rx-7 being driven by tsuchiya.

i'm not one to defend jap cars, but it's performance is fucking undeniable here. the videos speak for themselves.

Most likely.

It'll probably be fun to drive, but the thanks to it being hyped by FATF and the resulting meme status given to the car over the past 15 years or so, the new Supra will never live up to the hype.

What do a 500hp Supra and a 1000hp Supra have in common?

I believe it

Doesn't help most people haven't driven the either the NSX or MKIV tend to call the NSX a godhandlingmasheen while the MKIV a fat pig in the same vein.

www.m3forum.com/articles/Car_and_Driver_Sept_1997.pdf

Idiots itt

youtu.be/2N17mfwVwgk

?

...seriously nobody take the bate?

am i missing something here?

i don't even know if its a supra..

front bumper and tail lights are hideous.

everything else looks grown up gt86.

If it's less than 70K, I'll get one, otherwise I'm better off with a lotus evora.

>It's literally a BMW now
what the fuck Toyota.

A 60 thousand dollars mustang is beating it around a track.

Man cars look like pure dogshit now. The future was a mistake

English isn't your first language, is it?