Always hear about Honda and Toyota when people talk about reliability

>always hear about Honda and Toyota when people talk about reliability
>a lot of people think American cars have bad reliability, and for the most part they're right
However, today I just learned that apparently there are a lot of cases of Crown Victorias making it over

fug. Forgot to finish typing.
I've heard that there are a lot of cases of Crown Vics making it over 700k

Why does nobody talk about this? Is it because that's false?

I have no experience with crown vic's other than the fact that they have a ridiculously amount of cheap and plentiful parts, offered at any parts store, anywhere possible in the US.

You also gotta figure that the average owner was 1st a police department, and 2nd, a retired cop. Imagine ole Rusty pulling into the county building with his Vic, and half the mechanics remember him. There you have it: cheap service maintenance with cheap parts.

A car will live forever if you just maintain it. Cars with cheap service usually last longer.

The opposite is true. You'll see plenty of $100k V12 German cars being sold for $5k because no one wants to deal with the ridiculous service costs.

Agree. Agree with all of this.

>>a lot of people think American cars have bad reliability
I dunno, I think American are usually rated higher than euro in terms of reliability (USDM cars are vanishingly rare in my country though. But I see occasional an Dodge Ram or some huge SUV from time to time). A lot of older American cars are simplistic, they use hydraulic automatics rather than unreliable systems like robotized transmission (my dad really digs the transmittion mode selector mounted behind the driving wheel).
I think Crown Vic has a lot of charm, it somehow reminds me of the Lexus ls400, another landbarge I have a soft spot for.

Highly depends on the car.

Dodge is Dodge so tons of their cars have big problems. But Ferds and Chebbies are actually reliable for the most part. Chevy and GM products normally have great drivetrains that will go 200k mi easily, but little stuff like switches and buttons like to break. Ford has always been good with their larger cars and trucks. Anything that came with a V6 ir V8 from Ford should last a long time.

Yuros always bitch about older American cars gretting 200HP from a 4L+ engine, but the good thing about that is you can totally neglect them and they run great at 150k miles.

*of course there are exceptions to everything here

>entire brands
>literally just one model

nice comparison. a truly compelling argument.

I have an 04 explorer and it's been bulletproof for 120k miles so far, only issue being a strut replacement because the thing is so fucking heavy

My 97 was like that. Owned it from like 80k to 170k. All I did in that time was wheel bearings because heavy, alternator, and an o2 sensor. Engine purred like a kitten the day I sold it but it was time for some new shocks and struts.

I had a 2000 mountaineer that made it to 160k miles with no serious mechanical issues before I sold it. Most expensive repair was $500.

Change oil and transmission fluid (if auto) on a schedule and you only have electrics to really worry about for 200k+ for almost any modern car.

Apparently one of these fuckers has over 3,000,000 miles on it as of 2013

On its like 10th engine and transmission or so. I remeber reading it.

its common knowledge that Taxis and cops still use them, but nobody wants to buy a used taxi or cop car generally, and people tend to shy away from high mileage cars.

tldr the layman dont know shit and only knows that taxis and cops still use them, but knows the toyota truck meme and will use it to buy a NEW truck.

generally speaking Ford as far as I know used to be known for reliability.

>Dodge is Dodge so tons of their cars have big problems.

I guess you could say they have-
Dodgy quality

well I dont know but Ive been seeing a lot of GM's and Town Cars lately. More than usual. seems to me that with gas guzzlers slowly coming back into popularity because of the oil collapse, people looking for a large V8 sedan are finding out that Panthers are very reliable used cars for that specific niche.

(I suppose it helps that with Ford having killed the Vic not too long ago theres lots of articles and shit about how Taxis and Cops are not willing to just toss them in favor of the shiny brand new offerings, and are in fact trying to get their hands on as many as they can. Which tends to boil down to reliability and easy maintenance

My 98 recently passed 198k although I did have to replace the radiator bc the plastic degraded and the electric locks don't always work on all the doors

Any vehicle on the panther platform is my dream car, don't get me wrong my Honda Accord is fine, but I think I'll like a land barge more

Until you realize that it took the American about 20 years to match W124 reliability in the Panther Platform.

You do realize a lot of parts from ford were discontinued right?

I think the point is more that extreme reliability is kind of an anomaly that applies to specific vehicle models, not entire brands.

I mean, I can think of legendary long-running vehicles from Honda, Toyota, Ford, Mercedes, Volvo, Volkswagen... and there are probably more that I'm not thinking of. But none of those manufacturers are consistently that reliable.

honda or toyota shitbox that makes it to 300k, "wow so reliable" = 35mph
Crown vic that makes it to 700k = 18mpg

mystery solved

On the other hand, supposedly reliable corollas and jap bikes are piss easy to work on and usually just need normal things like new hoses, fluids, and clean parts, but people dump them after a few years and straight up kill them with neglect

I worked at a hand car wash all summer. Guy came in with a Lincoln town car. Was cleaning the dash when i noticed it had 770 000 kms, Canada fag, which makes it that much more impressive from all the salt and shit weather. Asked him about it and he said he was a limo driver and he gets the oil changed once a week.

dodge = daily overhauls do get expensive

None are newer or cheap in some cases though.

lost so fucking hard

using this one as often as I can

They do big miles because they are commonly in commercial vehicle fleets like taxis. Your Nissan would probably do huge miles if it was making you money with every mile driven

02-05 explorers are some of the most unreliable vehicles Ford has ever made

Well I have a Ford Taurus that would always have a power draw leak when turned off.
It would be found dead every morning if it was not driven that day.
One the door upholstery was about to be torn right off just by closing the door, I just did not want it anymore.

Reliability is subjective. It could be a number of issues or problems reported, but not necessarily engine bay related problems. Ford has had an overdrive transmissions for a while that really keeps the RPM's real low.

>Toyota reliability
>worse then Korean shit
Run user run