Are you supposed to ride the clutch or not?

Are you supposed to ride the clutch or not?

Live in US and researched about clutch in manual transmission cars
Reddit even cannot make their fucking minds up about this

"Coasting" is frowned upon various countries and apparently dangerous if you need to react to accidents
and yet riding the clutch if you're not going to make any changes seems to wear it out

Which one is a meme

Leave it in gear if you are just coasting or slowing down, then clutch in when the revs get down to idle.

Don't rest your foot in the clutch. Generally always leave it in gear when moving.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: No, that wears on the clutch.

Keep it in gear while going downhill. If you decide not to for some reason, you can put it in neutral and coast that way

I ride the clutch on my not level driveway and when pulling into/out of a parking space.

It's something to be avoided when possible. Never our on the road.

I'm coasting in neutral 50% of the time I'm driving, I don't really care what anybody says.

I drop the clutch every time including when leaving parking spaces. I figure all that rubber I leave and all the reckless operation tickets I get are a small price to pay to avoid shaving precious nanometers off my oh-so-important clutch!

What a surprise, the furfag is retarded.

You should be in gear always.

The only time you should be out of gear is when you're changing to a different gear.

"riding the clutch" is when the clutch is half-engaged, like when you take off. Being in gear with the clutch pedal all the way out is not "riding the clutch".

t. a motorcyclist

How so?
There's nothing wrong with coasting in neutral.

>motorcyclist
>can't ever be in neutral because of sequential gearbox
>you should be in gear always
Holy stockholm syndrome, somebody get this guy a car.
>IF I CAN'T COAST IN NEUTRAL YOU CAN'T EITHER
lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Here's your (You).

Coasting in neutral in a car is stupid. Why would you not just let it roll in 6th.

Related question: when you guys are revving high, do you mostly drop the clutch when upshifting? I figure trying to be smooth and slowly declutching at 5k RPM just burns out your clutch.

Why let it roll in 5th/6th?
If the whole point of leaving it in gear is to allow you to power out of a bad situation, why would you leave it in a gear so high that you have no chance of accelerating at all.
Do you drive a 500hp NA V8?
Because if you don't, good luck going anywhere with the car in 6th.

>go WOT in my 4banger in 5th gear at 25mph
>brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

You can rev match it so dropping doesn't jerk the car.

If it's not perfect you can give it some gas and let it out slow.

the whole point of leaving it in gear is that your car doesnt use any fuel while coasting in gear.

when costing in N its using fuel to remain idle rpm

No I mean when you're upshifting. Going from 2nd gear to 3rd etc.

So rev really high in 2nd gear

>There's nothing wrong with coasting in neutral.

That is before you have to bring it back into gear. Usually it is not in the correct gear for the actual speed.

2nd to 3rd would be going from high revs to low revs.

So you can drop the clutch and it should be rev-matched.

how does it not use fuel while in gear

Coasting in gear causes you to slow down from the engine dragging though, if I coast in gear the car slows down three times as fast as coasting in neutral.
Also do you have any source to back up that the fuel injectors are cut off when in gear?
The car doesn't know when you're into neutral or in gear so why would it cut of injectors?

I know but when you want to shift really smooth you kind of let the clutch out a little slowly while giving it just a little bit of gas and then fully declutching. But when revs are high that probably wears much more than when revs are low. I'm asking if you would probably jus drop the clutch at a high rev upshift to preserve it and leave the smooth shifting to low rpms.

No

mrcummy

what do you drive again?

some suzuki thing right?

He has a Volvo 240 on cut springs iirc

Ford festiva
Volvo 240
NA Miata
Toyota pickup

Wow you're fucking retarded.

Define riding the clutch for a non american.

Does it mean holding down the clutch pedal to disconnect the drive and making the car in neutral?

Means resting your foot on the clutch when in gear driving on the road

Keeping it in gear all the time is fine. The only time you touch the clutch is going, stopping, or changing gears. The only time you ever "ride" the clutch is reverse.

People will always argue riding the clutch ruins it, the clutch is a wear item. If you're not constantly revving and letting the clutch in and out at the same time youre fine

Lol youre an idiot.
You realize rpms mean you're using fuel right? Your car idiling uses fuel. If your rpms are close to what they are when youre iding youre not using more fuel just because your moving at speed numbnuts.
The only time I coast is going downhill and yeah it is potentially dsngerous if there were to be an accident but I trust my reaction times to slam it in gear or stop.

Hold on, by "riding the clutch", you mean coasting in neutral?
Don't ever do that. Motorcyclist is right, you should be in gear. You have a degree less control in neutral.

As for actually riding the clutch ie having the clutch half-engaged, you'll burn the clutch out if you do it too much, but it's useful if you need fine control. Use with caution, and only for a few seconds at a time, otherwise you'll learn what your clutch plates smell like.

What the fuck are you faggots talking about.

It's perfectly fine to keep the clutch in when braking, or going downhill, as long as you match gearing to speed.

I commute through a mountain pass everyday and I keep my foot on the clutch and just let the mountain take me down.

>the clutch is a wear item
I'm a manual transmission noob - are there perhaps driving habits that save wear on the transmission at the expense of the clutch?

Also based on my understanding it seems to me like it should be fine to keep the clutch all the way in for a while if needed, just not halfway. Is that correct?

Yeah, you won't do the clutch any damage by keeping it all the way in. It's how its designed to work.

>rip throwout bearings

But keep knowing everything about everything

>Are you supposed to ride the clutch or not?
Fucking never, riding clutch kills your clutch

negative. most modern vehicles completely cut fuel when coasting in gear. the momentum of the car is what turns the motor, no combustion is necessary.

Apparently nobody but
Knows what fuel cut on decel is. Holy fucking shit and you people call yourselves "enthusiasts". And if you don't know how a fuel injected vehicle is able to perform this feature, then you're too goddamn ignorant to know how to drive a manual properly anyways.

People are fucking retards when it comes to this. My background is in motorcycles and it took me a solid weeks worth of research to figure out what the fuck people mean when they say "ride the clutch". At first I thought they were referring to perhaps feathering the clutch, which is retarded since that is basically what you have to do when you are stopping/going or even just simply moving around in a low speed environment.

My only conclusion is that I guess there is this thing where retards rest their foot on the clutch pedal which leaves it partially engaged when they are driving and this can burn it out. Must be genetic

fuck Veeky Forums

Apparently you're a humongous faggot that didn't even bother to read the fucking thread

How do you drive without riding the clutch?
When I started driving I was terrified of riding the clutch, but eventually I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't be able to drive without doing so. So now I ride the clutch all the time.

Yeah... You're a fucking idiot.
Maybe most modern more expensive cars MAYBE.

All the way in and all the way out is when the clutch is not engaged.
Just dont drag the pedal mang, dont rest your foot, dont take a fucklong time releasing the clutch and dont floor it and let the clutch out slow at the same time.

Or well all the way out. All the way in is just engaged

never
all ways be in a gear
never coast its illegal for a good reason
let clutch out fast but don't cherp the tiers.
its a power to wait thing you will feel it with practice.

By only putting your foot on the clutch when you need to (changing gears, getting in movement...) ?

I wouldn't go as far as saying that no fuel is used when coasting, but it does signifcantly reduce consumption.

When in gear, your engine is directly connected to the wheels via the gearbox. Most of the time, the power comes from the engine and is transmitted to the wheels in order to propel the car.

When coasting, a typical exemple being going downhill at about 90kph in 5th or 6th gear, the slope is enough to keep you at speed without any power input from the engine (ie your foot is off the gas). The power trasnmission dynamic then is momentarily reversed : your wheels transmit power (that it gets from the downhill momentum) to your engine, to which they are directly connected via the gear box, which means that said engine will have to use significantly less fuel to keep "idling".

Essentially, coasting downhill gets your engine a complimentary mechanical power source, so it need less thermal (fuel) power to idle smoothly.

I will add that this is pretty basic info that I got from my instructors when I was going through my french driving licence. I only ever drove manuals, from corsas to 3-tons ambulances.

Why can't you ride in N on bike? Hold the clutch handle, drop gear, drop gear again into the N. You're coastin, but why?

I don't care about stupid bearing I let mountain to tride me dow and provide everything I need.

No.

This. Anyone who says it uses no fuel is retarded, your cars engine would cut out. It's not constantly trying to push start itself.
Its only illegal if they can prove it.

We should sticky threads like this to demonstrate how no one on Veeky Forums really knows what the fuck they're talking about, and even on the off chance that someone DOES know what they're talking about, it'll still get drowned in a monsoon of retarded shitposts

Yeah this doesnt make sense and I've coasted in Neutral on my bike so idk wtf hes on about. Maybe some sport bikes dont let you or hes a no bike or never drove manual.
Tbh guys I am pretty tired on driving manual, Ive only had my slowbalt for about 5ish years but also all the vehicles I drive at work are manuals, I've even been thinking about swapping an auto trans when I do my 302 swap for my Fairmont and get a newer GT (05+)

Or people start coming up with retarded super specific shit that doesnt apply to 80% of cars or anything.

If you're doing 70mph and downshift into 1st, how fast do you think the gears in your gearbox are going to be spinning?
Clutch in or not it doesn't matter, there's enough drag on the wet clutch to spin your gear box to insane speeds and fuck your shit up.
Try shifting into neutral at 70mph some day and tell me how that goes, I have 2 bikes btw.

I thought summer was over, but these threads on this topic continue to multiply.

Answer is no, you're not supposed to ride the clutch.

>I ride the clutch on my not level driveway and when pulling into/out of a parking space.
I don't think there's any other way without looking like a complete psychopath.

I've always wanted to personally verify that fuel stops being injected while coasting in gear. Would this be possible with Torque?

Are you kidding me? If you roll your car downhill in gear you don't think you're transferring force back to the crank? How do you think "push-starting" works?