Auto Insurance Lapse

So I let my insurance lapse a couple of months due to unexpected life expenses and needed the extra $300 a month in my pocket. Just my luck that an animal jumped out in front of me and I got in a car wreck with no one else involved and no one hurt, I drove the car home just fine but damage is extensive.

My question is if I buy insurance now with a new company (because my old one obviously knows how long I haven't been insured) can they see the months that I had no insurance on some record? How long should I wait before making a claim, obviously not the same day but would 1, 2 or 3 weeks be long enough? People do actually buy new cars and crash them right off the lot after insuring them so it's not completely unbelievable I could get in a wreck so soon after getting coverage, right? I have NEVER made a claim before on any insurance or been in any wreck before so maybe this will help me and be less suspicious?

Thank you for any help I really put myself in a fucked position where the car might have $5000-10000 worth of damage and while that's not close to the %80 rule of thumb to total the car it's not by any means pennies so I doubt it will go very easy.

depends on the state maybe but here in nevada the DMV keeps record of when you're insured and I'm sure they've got no issue giving that information to insurance companies

This is insurance fraud, a crime.

If you insurance was $300 a month you're probably a basketball American as that's 4x what it should cost to carry liability above minimum limits with comp and collision.

Insurance agent here

There are people whose full time jobs are investigating suspected fraud and they tend to be quite good at what they do. Think carefully because it could land you in jail.

Depends on where OP is and how old they are. $75 a month is a reasonable rate if he's middle aged, married, and has a good driving record. Also helps to live in NC or somewhere the rates are cheap. If he's young and has a brand new car and lives in Maryland, he'd be lucky to get under 2k a month.

>$2000 a month
Bullshit

I'm single, 27, have a 2016 that I paid about $30,000 for after tax, I carry a $100 comp deductible, $250 collision, loss of use, $300k liabilty per person and incident, $100k properry, and an OEM endorsement. My monthly rate is $71. I can definitely see him paying more but $300 a month is absurd and indicates he's got a horrible record, probably why he stopped paying.

The car isn't fully paid for and no I actually have zero accidents and no claims on record. I have one speeding ticket that is all. I had every last option my insurance offered me and it was right under $300 a month. If I bought insurance and let the car sit for 2 months before making a claim would it not be that suspicious of a claim?

What state user?
I drive an 07 worth ~5k with one claim from four years ago(not sure how long they last before they clear) with comprehensive and I'm paying about 85$/mo in WI.

Does having a car on a loan increase insurance rates?

Yer fucked...insurance companies maintain a central database that will show lapsed insurance...

The insurance adjuster sent out to see your wreck will notice the damage isn't 'fresh'...

You will definitely get caught.

Your rate blows my mind. You driving a Bugatti you can't afford to insure or some shit?

>300m
I pay 175, and I have two DUI, 3 speeding tickets and a bankruptcy.

You dun fucked up.

Ohio, maybe I'm lucky but his rates sound too high.
No, my car is 100% financed, didn't even do a down payment due to no interest. (manufacturer finance arm)

This.

> Uninsured
> Crash car
> Insure car
> THIS WAS TOTALLY A NEW THING

They'll see the lapse. They talk to each other. Maybe you should have raised the money some other way.

For sure they know.

When I switched insurances, the finance company knew almost immediately and sent a letter stating I better tell them/prove I have new insurance with NO lapse or they would buy their own insurance to insure their asset but that insurance would not cover me and it would be added on to the loan.

What you are proposing OP is serious crime that these companies dont take lightly. At best you will be dropped immediately and blacklisted. At worst, jail time if they want to build a case and take you to court.

Not paying your insurance is a really stupid move and should be a last resort one at that. Just imagine if you hurt some one. You open up yourself to huge amounts of liability when you go uninsured.

Suck it up.

>no down payment
Kill yourself. If you've only been making the minimum payment you're underwater and should stop giving advice.

That is odd because I haven't had any calls nor letters from my finance company pertaining to my insurance. There is also no police report or anything like that to determine the exact day it was in a wreck. Will damage really look that "old" after a month or 2? If I cover the car the damage shouldn't really increase or look too old right? The person who said they had a bankruptcy I have thought about doing that because I have around $15,000 in medical bills from an unwanted ambulance ride about 3 years ago, this could also be why my payment was so high. I didn't have good credit to start with.

You are essentially out of luck, the insurance adjuster that shows up will automatically be cautious since its a red flag to make a claim a few weeks after getting a new policy.

By that time, you might have some rust or some such. It wont be "fresh" so to speak.

If you wait too long, it will obviously be an old wreck. If you instantly file a claim, well, lets just say they will go over it with a fine toothed comb. They WILL want a police report with the date of the accident. They WILL contact your old insurance company.

I meant to say 200 a month, my bad

I guess my best bet then is to buy a cheap $1-2k car for work and back and cover the wrecked car, make the payment and save money to pay for the repairs. I guess letting the car sit and me learning a lesson for the next 6 months is better than hundreds of hours of community service, 30-40k in charges and possible jail time even though I have no priors, maybe they will make an example of me.

>That is odd because I haven't had any calls nor letters from my finance company pertaining to my insurance.

Depends on many factors, YMMV on the finance company obtaining this info from the DMV and then contacting you.

But here is the thing, you might not have paid your old insurance company but you still had a policy so thats probably why you were not contacted about a lapse in coverage. If you outright cancel your insurance they report to the DMV.

>There is also no police report or anything like that to determine the exact day it was in a wreck.

This just hurts your case more. The new insurance company has to take your word for it that it happened after you got the new policy. Normal people get an accident report....

>Will damage really look that "old" after a month or 2?

For sure, the metal edges that are bent and exposed will oxidize and rust. Im not professional but there are probably other ways of knowing. At best it will look suspect.

>bankruptcy

You can try to declare bankruptcy but that has to be approved by a court. Some debts may not go away depending on the outcome. Its not an easy process to declare bankruptcy and it will FUCK your credit for the next 7 years. Probably a worse option overall. Medical debts weigh less recently on your credit score so I would not worry about those as much.

I should of been more clear I said my insurance lapsed by that I meant I cancelled it I didn't just ignoring the bill. Which makes it that much more odd I haven't been contacted.

Depends on how often your finance company checks on these things.

Anyway, you just need to save up or get a 0% APR credit card and throw the repair on that.

Generally body shops will give you the best/lowest rate when they know you are paying out of pocket.

I have no interest on my loan and never will, why make a down payment? Do you understand the time value of money?

The main problem is you went without coverage on a very expensive car.

On a $1500 beater? Sure I could understand forgoing for a few months if you really needed the money.

But man.... not on an expensive car and ESPECIALLY not on a financed car.

In fact, if the finance company gets wind that their collateral is badly damaged they may take action to secure their property.

>So I let my insurance lapse a couple of months due to unexpected life expenses

In the local area, a car got broken into and extensive interior damage from thieves prying or cutting. The car apparently only had the minimal insurance. The owner covered up the broken window and wait a month and a half. Then voila, had it repaired under insurance.

Now, the only way the above happens is that insurance fraud occurred but there is no way to prove it unless someone like me with datestamped email to my google account from cellphone got involved. I debated about trying to find out which insurance company, but in the end didn't bother. Getting involved might get me into trouble due to revenge. Criminals hate being caught and cause problems for witnesses.

You're a retard and relying to the wrong person. I am not op, I carry everything possible on my policy including OEM.

If you needed more money a month maybe you should have moved down to a car you could afford. Instead you gambled and fucked up something that doesn't even belong to you with no way of fixing it. You're fucked.

>When I switched insurances, the finance company knew almost immediately
That actually depends on the state. Some states have a mandatory requirement that insurance companies report if insurance is turned off. Not that it is turned on. My state has neither requirement due to privacy laws being upheld to stop companies from pyring into our affairs and tracking wherever we go.

>Generally body shops will give you the best/lowest rate when they know you are paying out of pocket.

Not OP, but body shops around here give discounted rates to the insurance plans due to negotiations to being listed as one of the preferred choices. Walk-ins get the normal rates (which are higher than what they charge the insurance company).

As soon as you signed the title, you were underwater on the loan because of devaluation.

Should I just set the car on fire and claim it under my homeowners policy? I have a detached garage so there's no risk of it spreading to the house.

Who gives a fuck? I carry great insurance and have 0% apr for the life of the loan. I'm not selling it anytime soon, all new cars depreciate dumbass.

Lmao this is not the OP.

Op you fucked up, accept your fuck up. Don't try to shift it on someone else

Ok OP your not completely screwed. I'm a long time insurance agent. 16 years in the biz. Get a new policy with full coverage and low deductibles and shop it around. By this I mean call like 10 companies for the best rate. NOT ALL COMPANIES CAN SEE PROOF OF PRIOR INSURANCE. Than wait about 45 days and take car out to a rural area and light the fucker on fire!!! Report it stolen and await that fat check!!!!!!

Who cares? The bank, when you default. Your credit rating also cares; you're now penalised with 'underwater on a loan' and 'holy fuck is this guy stupid'.
And your '0% interest' was factored into the list price, fuckwit.

And isn't the OP that you DON'T carry insurance? And wrecked your shit?
A shame you're even further underwater, making payments on an uninsured wreck.

I'm so glad that UK laws allow the police to sieze cars from dumbasses like you.

>Should I just set the car on fire and claim it under my homeowners policy?
They will check to see where the fire began. No fire simply begins on a blank wall or rooftop unless it was arson. Insurance laws have been modified in my state with regards to arson. Now, they don't need to find who did the arson. They only need to determine that an arson is the probable cause of the fire. Your insurance company is then able to legally withhold payout if it files some sort of paperwork requesting further determination.

They aren't denying you insurance. They are just "delaying" payout until there is a determination. Of course a delay can go on for decades as a cold case and if the police and courts are friendly to the insurance corporations, they'll never close the case.

Your homeowners policy wouldn't cover damage to your vehicle which was the whole joke. I was trying to make OP look like an even bigger retard than he already is.

Anyone know what body kit this is? Or at least the fender flares and side skirt

>Now, the only way the above happens is that insurance fraud occurred but there is no way to prove it unless someone like me with datestamped email to my google account from cellphone got involved. I debated about trying to find out which insurance company, but in the end didn't bother.

What the fuck has it got to do with you in the first place, faggot? Snitches get stitches.

>What the fuck has it got to do with you in the first place, faggot? Snitches get stitches.
Retards like OP raise the price of insurance for everyone.

Said like a criminal.

Bootlickers get the fuck out please.

just goes to show how much power insurance companies have in this country. you could shoot someone in cold blood and be in less trouble

buy a beater, insure the beater for a year? while keeping the old car in storage while insured for a few months??
claim in a few months? not weeks? i dont know

Nigger

Scammer. Stop making everyone else pay.

this is why new york requires visual inspections + documentation on cars that are switching insurers/getting new policies unless
>the car is being sold brand new and you're insuring it to complete the sale
>the car is older than 7 years old

you're fucked OP, even without that people in this thread are right, auto insurers aren't stupid, and there are databases that they share with one another to help spot gaps in insurance.

Takes one to know one! Sad!

>be me
>pay USAA for insurance
>1996 Honda Accord
>first car, but no accidents
>pay 500 bucks every six months
>ok grades (Cs and Bs)
>live in Commiefornia
>20 years old
How'd I do, Veeky Forums? Pic related.

Oh, I should add that's it's basic liability, not full coverage.

This, as soon as your insurance lapsed it was reported to the state, you're not unknown. Damage ages as well. Don't get a felony op because then you wont be able to afford a car at all. Nobody will hire someone for defrauding insurance.

>tfw $300/mo payments for a 10 year old corolla

>auto insurers aren't stupid, and there are databases that they share with one another to help spot gaps in insurance.

If his car has any of the "phone home" services that manufacturers install, then faking it is difficult. That data has been sent back to the database. And if he insures it and lets it sit in a protected garage with all surfaces sealed with saran wrap and some silicate moisture absorbers and oxygen scavengers, that is not enough. The data phoned home will show the car was sitting in one spot all that time and no miles were added to the odometer.

However, he could find a risky spot and have the car stolen? As long as the thieves do the moving of the car, the GPS and other data sent back would support OP's story that it was stolen. If recovered, perhaps the damage would be blamed on the thieves.