AGDG - Amateur Game Development General

Nice posting edition

Previous Thread: > Halloween Jam 2016 (1 day left)
itch.io/jam/agdg-halloween-jam-2016

> Play Latest Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

> Next Demo Day (DD11)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-11

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

> AGDG Chats
discordapp.com/invite/0g6DnnHCw7KH2NzH
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
Haxe: haxeflixel.com
LÖVE: love2d.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com
mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E
steamcommunity.com/id/xxzoltanxx/
youtu.be/yvGXCisAaR4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theoremhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypotenuse
vimeo.com/115104048
forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/how-to-normalize-diagonal-movement-without-vector.1039/
youtube.com/watch?v=pdn3mcQ_fZg&list=PL4A53F74B3A8647A7
youtube.com/watch?v=1q0t683xaWI
youtube.com/watch?v=Isic2Z2e2xs
youtube.com/watch?v=gHZHy2B6MCc
youtube.com/watch?v=yDqCIcsUtPI
youtube.com/watch?v=BNjCCEiCdzc
youtube.com/watch?v=F0sgKCetlb8
youtube.com/watch?v=NpOtkhBcc8k
youtube.com/watch?v=8wLwxmjrZj8
youtube.com/watch?v=fMfGXHIM5vM
youtube.com/watch?v=9wZrPluKkJA
youtube.com/watch?v=KPa1_7AF1lM&list=RD85bkCmaOh4o&index=2
gamejolt.com/games/ouroboros-the-sacrifice/53869
arikado.itch.io/clarent-demo
youtube.com/watch?v=LG1CtlFRmpU
soundcloud.com/krisena/nana-kitade-kibou-no-kakera-snes
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'll never make it

>not posting a picture with aggydaggy logo in it
Nice.

mrw

Realtalk though, what is it you're working on and how much you have done?

not with that attitude

Finally finished all the stuff I had to do for work, now I can go back to making progress full time during this week. Sadly I missed halloween jam.

Which of your skills are you going to improve today, /agdg/?

Got a lot done this last few days.

Bullshitting people. If NMS taught me anything, bullshitting people is the most important skill in game dev.

+500 xp in sulking

Drawing.

That pizza looks tasty af

>Since i know you can contact companies with ideas sometimes and they will give you some profit for giving the original idea.

is this real life

UV Map your stuff so that the distinct segments of the models have their own islands on the UV map. Right now colors are bleeding from the blade to the grip and stuff like that.

Enjoy this unrelated design document picture.

>I have an idea that is generic but I know it would do well
>contact companies with ideas sometimes and they will give you some profit for giving the original idea
>patent my idea

How did they make two-shaded hair? Was that made by using normals too? I can't get anything even remotely close to that.

made some progress tonight, have a scale model. each coord is 1 meter

I guess I'll work on learning to texture tomorrow. Still procrastinating on modeling a body, I know the math on animation and rigging will be very difficult and probably take a week to work out

Also going to have to split up this enormous model soon, which will complicate things

But that's the A E S T H E T I C

How do I into isometric perspective games with sfml?
I'm going to make a WWI trench warfare isometric 2D game and I'm contemplating the possibilities of making it with SFML, since it's actually 2D I figure it makes absolutely no difference and should be possible, but I need your advice.

low poly 3d with that "unpolished work-in-progress debugger-interface" vibe gets my dick fucking hard

toon shader with 2-color ramp, though Guilty Gear does a lot of other shit to make their models look good with that shader

How good are you with SFML? I'm just starting to learn it. Be my senpai PLEASE. Or just worst case scenario we'll learn together

>sfml
Simply fuck my life

Did PS1 graphics user posted any updates?

What algorithm are you using for generating the terrain? I'm using Midpoint Displacement here.

May I ask what is your plan on applying the texture? I was thinking about having multiple layers of textures, and based on the height of the vertex, I would make one more dominant than the other to achieve smooth transition between them.

Also: may I ask why do you use normals per face instead of per vertex? It would be much smoother, imho.

Give me ideas I will pay you in (you)s

I know about that part. What I'm interested in is marked in red - hair mesh doesn't seem to be as complex as the shading and looks very flat.

They folded the shader a thousand times.

But no really they put a shitton of work to get that look in 3D, in both shaders and models. (And hell even in the game code)

youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E

Infinite runner game or a very interesting background technique? Both?

p2w RTS

i mean how come we haven't seen one of those yet

I've watched that video at least twice by now. But thanks anyway. I guess the answer really lies in correctly placing normals.

>RTS
too complicated for niga like me. I was thinking about something simple mobile shit.

>you're a detective
>small-ass open-world (1sqkm) neighborhood
>you gotta solva a crime by going around and asking people

>I was thinking about something simple mobile shit.
KYS-simulator.

I'm not using the midpoint displacement algorithm, this is intended to be a replica of everest so the coords are just put in manually
I may use that for doing the heavy lifting on slopes though, because actually modeling by hand would be way too much time. I think there is a better way of doing it than midpoint displacement, I would like to influence trends and create rifts naturally

I don't exactly know how I will be doing the texture. I'm a bit of a perfectionist though so I think I would make some rough approximation of where wind and snow are coming from and cover the mountain with a layer rather than painting it on by hand. I don't know anything about texturing though so I can't really be much help there. I don't have much gamedev experience so it's been fun reinventing all the wheels

last I did the vertex thing because I prefer triangles to sqares when modeling slopes. Subdividing a square would make it into smaller squares. I think triangles look more natural

game where you parasail with real-world physics
thank you and I'll be awaiting payment

Have you guys played Google's Halloween game today? It's pretty cute.
How do shape recognition to make rune drawing game?

How am I supposed to store data for say units in GM:S without being able to make our own data structures?

Like say I have 15 units which aren't on screen right now but I'll need them later on, and they all have Attack, Defense, Health, Magic, Magic Defense, Speed, etc. stats. They can't possibly expect me to make a list to store Attack, a list to store Defense, a list to store Magic and so on, right? How are you guys doing it?

Sure, add me on steam, we can learn together
steamcommunity.com/id/xxzoltanxx/
Why tho?

>Spend months doing design and programming
>Feel very little satisfaction
>Draw shitty placeholder UI in MS paint
>Suddenly super excited and energized because my game now looks like a game
help

>Spend a day modeling a mesh, barely sleep
>Postpone rigging that could take an hour tops for a week

lighting is everything boys

My game is text only.

Why is GameMaker Studio so expensive? Is there any discount code or something? I remember buying rpgmaker from humble bundle or other charity store for cheap, but can't see this one

You can't see the text if there is no light.

youtu.be/yvGXCisAaR4
Legends sit on a throne made of bullshit

Sandwich stealing simulator 2016 pedwiepie approved

There was a humble bundle for game maker a while back. That's how I got all of it. Might be able to see about a reseller, failing that just keeping an eye out.

There has been 2 GM:S humble bundles already.

Damn, I'll have to make humble bundle my homepage so I won't miss it, thanks

You should lurk more here. The bundles lasted week or so and the deal was posted here many times.

2's coming next month m8.

I remember that huge campaign against fallout 4 about todd's lies

the game is actually really good though so I don't see what all the complaining was about

was a pretty bad port out of the gate though

Todd is a dork, but he worked on Morrowind so I respect him for that.

How to become EDITORS CHOICE on google play?
Do I have to pay jews?

Are there any good video tutorials on how to stop diagonal movement from being faster than regular movement in a top down game? I retain information poorly through text.

I'm using game maker but I'm not really fussy about what the video uses, I just want to understand the theory of it so I can execute it myself.

Prugress! (keep in mind that the project is born yesterday)

I've added:
-a shooting system (I'm gonna change it into a script system though)
-dialog system using script so it's pretty easy to use
-I'VE KILLED THE CAT!
-the dash now bounce of the wall instead of going through it. Gonna have to change the sprite xscale though.

Basically started to write the story. It's not gonna be complex at all, and basically the kind of game that you can either go through without minding the story or talk to pnj and learn a lot.

The main plot state in two lines:
>You want to find a mermaid
>The mermaid is in that direction.
And if you want to know anything more, then talk to pnjs and visit the map.

For the music, I'll search later.

Damn it feels great to be working on something you like...

(oh and I'm not deppressed anymore. Went to a psychiatrist, had a treatment, feels good to be able to be happy again. So guess I'm not "deppressed trap dev" anymore, just "trap dev".)

turns out I didn't need to get a cros sproduct of the intersecting vectors because the raycasthit.normal is the vector I can apply to the character to make it move int he direction I want...

On the plus side I now understand what a cross product is actually for.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theoremhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypotenuse

difficult to explain something like that, I can't really wrap my brain around it either

here's my code though, and it doesn't go any faster when you press a and w concurrently

if (keyState.IsKeyDown(Keys.A))
{
DX += sideSlope * (float)Math.Sin(rotation.Y + Math.PI / 2);
DZ += sideSlope * (float)Math.Cos(rotation.Y + Math.PI / 2);
}
if (keyState.IsKeyDown(Keys.D))
{
DX += sideSlope * (float)Math.Sin(rotation.Y - Math.PI / 2);
DZ += sideSlope * (float)Math.Cos(rotation.Y - Math.PI / 2);
}

if (keyState.IsKeyDown(Keys.W))
{

DX += frontSlope * (float)Math.Sin(rotation.Y);
DZ += frontSlope * (float)Math.Cos(rotation.Y);
}
if (keyState.IsKeyDown(Keys.S))
{
DX += -frontSlope * (float)Math.Sin(rotation.Y);
DZ += -frontSlope * (float)Math.Cos(rotation.Y);
}

I think I remember the guy mention something about using softimage to manipulate the direction of the normals.

Also something about how gator will save your ass.

It seems the main thing the shader was coded to do was tell the normals to be lit or unlit at specific angles.

They also used a color channel mask to darken certain parts on the model, or something like that.

BUT it's mainly softimage, you don't need the shader unless you're really gunning and overachieving.

Here, our friendly japanese 3d modeler will teach you about softimage and user normals.

vimeo.com/115104048

The whole video is great, but I guess you could skip to 4:20ish to see it in action on kawaii uguu waifu.

-------- AGDG WEEKLY RECAP

Do you have a game? Have you made progress this last week? If so, submit your game to the recap and be a part of AGDG history. Be sure to respect the format and pay attention to any customization options available.
Submissions will be accepted for roughly the next 36 hours.

-------- FORMAT

----[ Recap ]----
Game:
Dev:
Tools:
Web:
Halloween:
Progress:
+ ...
+ ...

* I've added four more options to the Halloween field. Your choices are now zombie, cat, devil, witch hat, bat, pumpkin, spider, skeleton, or ghost. Not case-sensitive.
* Images are scaled and cropped to fit 16:9.
* You do not have to reply to this post for the scraper to catch your entry.

-------- SCORES

1 .... Arborgore
1 .... Skylarks
1 .... Unnamed Pixel Platformer
1 .... Ancient Saga
1 .... Shiphack
1 .... PHANTOMa
1 .... Throbot
1 .... FPSpooky
1 .... Devil girl game
1 .... Dosh Jobs
1 .... Project Piktroid
1 .... Clarent
1 .... RPG Town Builder
1 .... Gogum's crazy adventure
1 .... Ctesiphon
1 .... Crystal Chrysalis
1 .... Monolith
1 .... Vampire's Bit
1 .... Catgirl Pool Party
1 .... Whimp the Bold
1 .... [Placeholder Title]
1 .... Project Retro (Working Title)

>I retain information poorly through text
Dyslexia bro. I've been reading actual code examples. I've never actually had to apply trig before, which is funny because I did rather well with it in high school test-wise.

Yeah it's a bit tricky. Surgeon_ seems to explain it pretty well if you get get your head around stuff like this, even I understood it a bit

forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/how-to-normalize-diagonal-movement-without-vector.1039/

Might just go grab somebody to read it out to me.

Is there much effort to work on the website? It would be great to get some tutorials up there.

>-I'VE KILLED THE CAT!
WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!
I'm really happy to hear the news on your depression. Glad you could get rid of it.

happy spook day, /agdg/

>copying the HJ banner
shaking my head famalamalong

Throwing around some ideas for music direction.

What do you think about this for a space opera/space setting?

Classical

Crest/Banner of the Stars
youtube.com/watch?v=pdn3mcQ_fZg&list=PL4A53F74B3A8647A7

Rachmaninoff - Symphony No.1
youtube.com/watch?v=1q0t683xaWI

Gustav Holst - The Planets
youtube.com/watch?v=Isic2Z2e2xs
(Star Wars composer John Williams used this as inspiration for the music in Star Wars)

Chopin - Sonata No.2
youtube.com/watch?v=gHZHy2B6MCc

Tchaikovsky Symphony No.6
youtube.com/watch?v=yDqCIcsUtPI

Beethoven Symphony No. 3
youtube.com/watch?v=BNjCCEiCdzc

Tchaikovsky Slavonic March Op.31
youtube.com/watch?v=F0sgKCetlb8

Techno

Epicuros - Interstellar
youtube.com/watch?v=NpOtkhBcc8k

Generic Ambient Space Music
youtube.com/watch?v=8wLwxmjrZj8

Jazz (might be interesting)

Jazz Noir
youtube.com/watch?v=fMfGXHIM5vM

Space Jazz (This is the stuff Ron. L Hubbard came up with)
youtube.com/watch?v=9wZrPluKkJA

Synth

Synthwave (Retro 80s style music)
youtube.com/watch?v=KPa1_7AF1lM&list=RD85bkCmaOh4o&index=2

Or maybe some fusion of different genres? Tell me your thoughts?

What makes great ambiance for space?

Because that cat was COMMUNIST!
That's why the sprite name is spr_communist_cat!

Happiness is something that's better shared!

They wrote a lighting shader identical to the one they used in the actual game (UE3) to streamline development process and get instant visual feedback. Shading uses a very simple model - take light vector and use custom normals and 90 degrees as threshold for activation function. Softimage is not necessary for all that.

Also, two textures are used - one for the actual color and the one for tint.

Thanks for the video though, should help me out.

this is spooky as fuck

I'll try to sick around, thanks m8's

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Ouroboros: The Ascension
Dev: Firgof
Tools: AGS, Manga Studio, AESprite, FLStudio, Goldwave, Paul's Extreme Sound Stretch
Web: gamejolt.com/games/ouroboros-the-sacrifice/53869
Halloween: ghost
Progress:
+ First five minutes is about ready to begin production, thanks to various art assets having been completed
+ Produced temporary ambient music for the game
+ Recruited some outside help for the game's soundtrack
+ Created a VOX filter to make it easier to voice act for Voshim
- Due to time constraints, I'm switching back to first person perspective gameplay to decrease development time required for art assets

Got the zombies back. I really need to redo the sprites though and make their attack slower. I still have sprites for bats, knights that use spinning attack, blight knights (polearm guys), decapitated undeads, spiders, skeletons, druid guys and some others.

Most of them are designed to be low level enemies. I also have some enemy designs and sprites from my old artbro. Not sure how many of them I can put in the demo, since I don't have plans to expand the demo are much more since it's completely placeholder and just designed the way that I can have as many different areas for camera.

I'll try to get the redesigned red knight in the demo, but it will be animation hell since it came out pretty detailed. I'm going to use script I wrote years ago for GM7 to generate lightning effects so no one will be triggered.

I'm kind of looking for artist to do enemy sprites and background assets, so if anyone is interested, you can contact me on my twitter @ArikadoDev. I'll response only if you post piece of pixel art you've done. Obliviously art should be fitting to the game. I'm NOT looking for person who cannot do pixel art.

If the demo day build's gameplay feels good, we'll start to work more on story and areas, so tiles, backgrounds and enemy sprites are needed.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: RPG Town Builder
Dev: Shen
Tools: Game Maker, aseprite
Web: shengamedeveloper.tumblr.com, twitter.com/ShenDeveloper
Halloween: pumpkin
Progress:
+able to name yourself and town
+basic quest system is almost finish
-no other progress because busy preparing for interview
-game is terribly low on juice

Game: Saigo no Shinwa
Dev: Trap Dev
Tools: Game Maker
Web: Nope
Halloween: Witch hat
Progress:

+ Project started
+ Plot also started
+ Movement and dialog engine made

- Still a lot to do
- Gonna rework the "bullet" collision because I don't like it right now

= The cat is COMMUNIST! (I have nothing toward communist, just a pun)
= That's the story of two dyslexic that enter a bra.

tfw I want to try and make a basic ray cast shooter akin to wolf3d or a term based roguelike but I lack all motivation to actually try

looking for a job while slowly dropping out of this master's gig is not helping, slowly losing all interest in programming since it's not like it's helping me find a job anyway

:removeskeleton:

I loved sliding like that in SM64

While all that ideas are pretty good (I have a preference for the Jazz), I think that basically if you're doing a game in space, the "music" will shine more during the moment of silence than during the moment with music playing. And the music needs to be clear a not complex.

That's what's the space: silence. And the sound you're gonna add needs to give a feeling of silence.
No music, or music that is just flying over the sound effect.

Well, that's my point of view. I don't know what you want your game to feel like.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Clarent
Dev: Arikado, PHI
Tools: GM:S, Paint.net
Web: arikado.itch.io/clarent-demo
Halloween: pumpkin
Progress:
+ grappling hook is no longer shit
+ expanded map system
+ added back old enemies
+ spell system got removed, replaced with weapon switching and weapon specials
+ new ice effects
+ new fire effects
+ hitting frozen enemies doesn't oneshot them
+ new chest sprites
+ new portraits
+ new sound effects
+ added graphics settings
+ added toggle fullscreen
+ added armors
+ removed relics

>suddenly halloween theme
>cant read or see shit
t-thanks Veeky Forums

Game: Saigo no Shinwa
Dev: Trap Dev
Tools: Game Maker
Web: Nope
Halloween: Witch hat
Progress:

+ Project started
+ Plot also started
+ Movement and dialog engine made

- Still a lot to do
- Gonna rework the "bullet" collision because I don't like it right now

= The cat is COMMUNIST! (I have nothing toward communist, just a pun)
= That's the story of two dyslexic that enter a bra.

(forgot pic on last post)

>all this fucking progress
I envy you, Clarentdev. Wish I had 1/10 of your drive.

youtube.com/watch?v=LG1CtlFRmpU
>tfw I want to make a vehicle game now

I spent 60-70 hours last week alone on deving. Longest time I dev'd straight was 15 hours.

Things are finally starting to look good so I'm motivated as hell.

Damn that looks juicy as fuck and fun

how do you do some actual game design? i feel like i read way too much stuff about this without doing anything practical.

>mfw I actually like it, but the quick reply box is still white and burns my eyes.

>Spook 2: Lords of Spook
Did I just download and run a 107 mb virus

Game design is basically trying to think like the player so that you can foresee their actions and plan your game accordingly.

How to do it? Make someone else playtest your game and take their feedback.

:startmusic:

>current year
>how many years now since lostboy
>people still not running noname games from the internet in a sandbox
Jesus

I made a sort of a SNES-tune cover of some song. If any of you guys need this kind of music, let me know - I write original tunes too.

soundcloud.com/krisena/nana-kitade-kibou-no-kakera-snes

What the fuck is up with all these moonrunes wapanese games?

Here's the progress I made last night. Changed the whole style since it was wayyy to busy. What do you guys think Do you think the ship is out of place?

Don't dare to shit on Nurikabe, user. He's a based yesdev.