Toyota debate

Highlander vs rav4 vs 4runner
All from 2001 to 2005
Which one would you choose?
>inb4 hurr durr 4runner
I want a vehicle for light offroad, occasional camping, and winter driving. I already own a truck.
So weight, mpg, comfort are a factor, but i also dont want slow as fuck because i do a lot of freeway driving.

Other urls found in this thread:

toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/184296-03-limited-xreas-ras-need-advice-replacement-options.html
seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/5790676779.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why do you need a second vehicle?

My truck is terrible in the snow and gets terrible mpg and is old as fug.
I want to retire it to a work vehicle

Just get snow tires for the truck.

Get the 4Runner with the 5vz.
Mpgs are meh but itll tow 5klbs, its fairly comfy.

I own a Tacoma with a Campershell, same fucking thing

highlander will do everything get mid-low 20s on the highway.

This. The V6 is a good engine, and gets almost the same mpg as the 4cyl since it doesn't have to work as hard

Shut up
Ok i see they changed in 02? So 3rd gen then?
The rav4 gets close to 30mpg tho

96-02
-----

not meaning to jihack but is there anyuthing wrong with these 4runners?

i really like the looks and how spacceous they are.

Fuck yeah, Toyota thread

Can confirm. Unless the 3RZ is geared to match the tires, it'll get 15mpg like mine, and I drive like a grandpa. It gets 21 mpg in Kansas on flat highway with no headwind, however.

Fuck iono, but any early 2000s Tacomas/4Runners is good.

v8 4runner without xreas.

>without xreas
Why

Screw you yanks with all your v8 utes. That being said, 4runner You can't go wrong if you don't try and chuck ridiculously sized muddies on it

3L D-4D aussie pleb here

It will break and it's expensive.

The v8 is the way to go. The headers tend to crack but that's minor.

Gotcha.
But the mpgs are terrible

Marginal difference.
Worth it to me, but that's a personal choice.

I'll narrow it down to gen 1 Highlander vs 3rd gen 4Runner for you:

Highlander will be a lot smoother going over bumps and such, will be less fatiguing to drive and more comfortable on road trips, will get slightly better MPG while having better acceleration (assuming V6 vs V6), and will do better in typical paved road winter driving thanks to a FWD bias and lower center of gravity.

4Runner comes into its own offroad, it isn't even close in terms of capability. Also roll down window is GOAT-tier. More pleasant to look at, and easier to work on in terms of being BOF and longitudinal layout.

So depending on what "light" offroad means, I think a Highlander would actually be the better fit.

I say this as a dyed in the wool 3rd gen 4Runner owner.

Thanks.
Any reason not to consider the Rav4 though?

let me make an addendum: 4th gen 4Runner will be much closer to the Highlander in terms of on-road comfort and ease of driving, and would do better in light snow situations thanks to a full-time 4wd system with a torsen center diff. Lower center of gravity on 4th gen 4Runners also helps with handling and by extension winter driving characteristics (ie keeping it on the road with slick conditions).

I personally think they're a pretty big step down in terms of comfort. Seat cushions are way too short for taller folks. if this is just a runabout then sure, but if you intend to take some longer trips, I'd vastly prefer either of the other two options.

BTW what sort of budget are you working with?

Sadly both Highlanders and 4Runners are insanely priced. My fiance's parents got close to $8k on trade for their '05 Limited with 170k miles back in 2013, I shudder to think what someone bought it for on a used car lot.

nothing wrong with xreas. you can actually negotiate a cheaper price if xreas is fucked up. point it out at time of sale, and tell the fucker that it cost $4000 replace.

Then buy it for the low and replace the xreas with bilsteins 5100 all around and FJC Springs for under $1000.

t. 4runner v8 limited owner who doing the above next week.

Yea, or do that. iirc there's some minor fab work involved to get it to work.

Damn.
Im looking between 5k and 7k.
The best $/miles is the rav4 around $5k with 100k miles.
The highlanders and 4runners are $7kish around 150k miles

no fab required. you can rip out xreas and install the shocks/springs with no fabbing.

If you have RAS (Rear Air Suspension) you can get a the rear coil conversion from Metal Tech, cost about 250 bucks

If you want to keep RAS, then you need to run Bilstein 4600 HD in the rear because they are stock height.

I actually plan to run the 4600 HD in the rear because I have RAS and plan to keep it, and 5100 Bilstein in the front with a .85 inch lift on stock springs.

When RAS blows up, I will swap the Bilstein 4600 for 5100 in the rear, FJC springs all around and get a nice budget lift out of it.

For more info:

toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/184296-03-limited-xreas-ras-need-advice-replacement-options.html

holy fuck I love it when I run into someone who knows how 5100's solve everything

>I want a vehicle for light offroad, occasional camping, and winter driving.

What you want is a Subaru.

be prepared to look for a looooong fucking time for a decent price/decent shape 4runner.

Took me a year to before I found mine, 3000km away. Paid 11k Maplebucks for a 2004 4runner limited with RAS with 190,000 km.

I had buyers remorse for all of 5 seconds....now I am in love.

I am still waiting for mine to come in the mail. I ordered from Essex Distro in BC, CANADA.

There is a 14 Day national back order on the Bilstein 4600 HD for my 4runner.

I hope its worth the wait, or else I just fell for the Bilstein meme.

what if he isn't lesbian though?

>What you want is a Subaru
Sorry i like power, reliability, and ground clearance.

FWIW I paid $6350 for my minty-mint '96 Limited with 99k miles back in 2013. The flip side of the Toyota Tax is that depreciation on clean 3rd gens is basically nil at this point assuming you keep it in good condition. No regrets, when I think about the use and enjoyment I've gotten out of the truck what I paid for it strikes me like a very good deal indeed.

>My truck is terrible in the snow

4 Runner

Yeah I was saying screw you becuase I'm jealous. Here in Australia we've only ever had 2.7, 2.8 and 3L turbodiesel 4runner/HiLux.

I went to the USA for a holiday recently and almost cried at all the all sweet trucks getting around

what percent tint? did you just match the front windows to the factory tint?

Sorry man couldn't tell you, bought it that way off the PO.

That looks like about 35% to me.

My favorite color

I would just get Subaru especially if you already own 4wd truck.

Fuck off nigger. Subarus (slowbaru) are absolute shit

3rd gen 4runner comes offroad ready stock, and is bulletproof front to back. Only reoccuring major issue is "pink milkshake" look it up, just replace the radiator after like 100k and youre good to go forever. I did the radiator and timing belt on mine in one go, then upgraded the brakes to '05 tundra bolt ons. I really regret selling the car, it was perfect size, power, reliability, and looks. 02 Sport

Some suspension problems, mild issues. the V8 apparently pulls nicely, but they arent built as solid front to back as the 3rd gens

oh, and fantastic aftermarket, especially since much of it is shared with the tacoma

seconded. I looked at 25 overpriced rusted ones before I found mine, the first I found under 90k miles, and grabbed it for 9k USD
Steal at that price nowadays

>hurry durr 4runner

>get the 3rd gen 4runner with a high trim package (power everything, sunroof, 4x4) and it will last you forever if you love her

>not getting a Land Cruiser

seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/5790676779.html

I put 5100's on the front of my Tacoma, very satisfied. I leveled mine with the stock springs, so when I'm ready to go 2.5-3" lift all around it'll ride even better with Eibach springs.

You made a good choice

thanks br/o/ther....I feel good about the billies now.