>IA 19.0 beta (2cc315d)
www118.zippyshare.com/v/o0zLRgk9/file.html

>DCSS Trunk Updates
crawl.develz.org/wordpress/trunk-updates-17-october-2016

Tournament soon!

>Shared DCSS online account.
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on CXC).
Remember, it's not fun if you didn't splat hard!

FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

Previous thread:

First for the forgotten crawler.

2nd for Morgoth is best dad

turdak is dancing on my screen wtf

why can't NIS make a good roguelike

What's better for a MiBe? An antimagic eveningstar or a demon whip of electrocution? I have them both at +9

Too busy sucking the money out of the Disgaea franchise...

An axe

It'd be shallow with a HUGE grind for HUGE numbers, with a lewd loli skin. Fuck that noise.

Sounds exactly like the game I would play

don't judge me

Whip since it's got less of a delay than the eveningstar.

Eveningstar.

whip is better for general purpose, antimagic is good for bullying mages obviously

I'm not, but it definitely isn't my cup of tea. I'd honestly like those games more if they cut out the loli shit though. I can't judge anyone. I play FFXIV even though I loathe catgirls and potatos.

NO BULLY

Axes.
Whips are for dominatrix and eveningstars are for literal faggots.

>eveningstars are for literal faggots.

I do not play Felids because I only play real roguelikes but seriously how do I streak like 5 (five) 0 death Felids to D:10 at all? This is literally making me crazy

t. literal faggot

How would you make exploring in roguelikes fun and not boring or repetitious? It seems it's all combat and grind.

Actual choices on whether or not to go X place instead of being a dungeon clearing simulator.

diving pacifist Edains in Sil
mumo
tons of premade (i.e. non-procedurally generated) vaults, which makes it not a roguelike

>the local minotaur despises games with huge numbers since he cannot count

I don't get it.

Could you elaborate user? Sounds interesting but I don't quite get what you mean/too obscure to me.
As for the third; yeah. Handmade content seems like the answer (good approach would be mixing handmade with generated I guess?), but I wonder if there's a way to make random generated dungeon exploration intriguing.

Vaults in Crawl are handmade

Never played Crawl, but are its vaults unique in a way or just standard loot/mob rooms?

>level 3600' unique on 1800'
ok

Play however you want. DCSS's popularization of comparing l33t scores to see who has the most severe case of autism is absolute poison to the genre. What you do in your roguelike is your business.

Brogue is almost entirely random and atill interesting. Certain puzzles are the only remotely hand-made things and still come with a good degree of randomization.

>unique

If you don't think that Map Shape X personally handcrafted by Person A that contains random/fixed loot and mob is different to Map Shape Y personally handcrafted by Person B that contains random/fixed loot and mob then congratulations, it simply means you've already grown up on roguelikes.

>using feet instead of dlvls
for what purpose

Trip up retards who can't swiftly do basic baby division in their skulls.

Both are very, very good. The eveningstar is more useful for mages and certain higher level demons, as antimagic affects even things which wouldn't be usually considered casting like a demon's innate abilities

I see I can read books to npcs so they level up skills now.

Is there any use for teaching my buddy first aid?

i think there's some feature where you can somehow get npc buddies to help you with installing bionics and shit, and first aid skill helps with that

i'm not sure if they add a bonus to you or they completely replace you though so idk how valuable it really is

>is absolute poison to the genre.
Is a statement that has literally never been true, especially not in this context. People maligned savescumming before crawl, and people savescum after crawl. The important this is to have fun, which means that people think their way of having fun is most important. That is the cause of anti-savescum, not entirely optional and wildly ignored high scores.

Is there any roguelike where I can play as a literal faggot?

slash'em extended

in your case, all of them

Who knows? I can't do that either. Just be yourself lol

Figuring out the game is part of the fun.

So let's say I have a sword and shield character, like a fighter. I can train longswords and boost my damage output with them. And train shields and get what I assume is some defensive bonuses. And if I then choose not to use magic, I'll have no active abilities and just rely on bump attacking things forever?

I come from playing Tome4 and DoD, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything since DCSS seems really elaborate and popular.

What are the good sources of gold/silver in Cata ? I know about jewler shops and armored trucks. But it's like 100/200 units a time. My hoarder fetish is not sustained that way. Also I'm burning through such amounts very fast when I produce large quantities of ammo.

>The Haste spell has been removed (in Trunk)

You wot

Banks.

Bloatcrime.

>I'll have no active abilities and just rely on bump attacking things forever?

most of your damage will just involve bumping things, yeah

you can still use inventory items like wands or potions of course, and the god you worship will generally give you some active abilities of varying usefulness/spammability

I'm glad vampires overall got a buff, despite vampiric weapons no longer giving them a special boost -- I find myself healing nearly to full with every stab, and bats being able to read scrolls/drink potions is great too.

Anyone have experience with Discord? How does it stack up as, essentially, a nuke?

You'll wanna switch training modes, ie disable automatic training, and focus on sords til you hit mininum delay with that weapon, then shields.

>>>>>>>>discord
dont post bait

You can use evocables and god abilities. Both are limited and can't be used for every engagement. DCSS is more about enemy variety at its core than it is about player variety, although player variety is still fairly high. In Tome4, 95% of enemies are trash, 4% are dangerous rares, and 1% are uniques/dungeon bosses. In DCSS, 60% of enemies are trash, 25% are somewhat dangerous, and 15% will probably wreck you unless you know what you're doing.

Hmmm... So does DCSS have a lot of depth then? part of why I always liked Tome4 was due to the huge amount of skills and passives you could use. Really changed the experience for me at the end of the day.

More like 80% can be tabbed, 15% need to be led into a corridor to be tabbed, and 5% are excluded and walked away from.

Sounds exciting, right?

lmao good bait you'll get someone

Okay thanks. Time for a z-heist

Let me guess, you exclusively play MiFis?

Oh wait, no. DsFi, MiBe, CeFi too. You tried a SpEn once, but that was too complicated.

no seriously what's the problem?

ToME definitely has a lot more devastating enemies than DCrawl -- you are constantly getting random-assed stunned by enemies the moment you see them, nothing really compares to that in Crawl.

So that 15% are all the worm that walks? Sorry if this is asking a lot, but what kind of big differences can you have between characters?

like in Tome4's case you your initial class affects your skills and skill ratios. So I can start as a Berserker and eventually get a lot of per turn heals, have an active that'll prevent death for X turns, and some sweeping AoEs.

Or I could be an arcane warrior and cast spells on melee hits and have access to teleports.

Or I could be a rogue with a focus on stuns and attacks from stealth.

The closest thing to tome that I read about in the tutorial is that you can get some pretty potent stealth openers. But do tell me if there's any more.

just play the game retard

why dont you go ask (((kate)))

Tome is shit anyway, so better play some real roguelikes or leave my fucking general.

The Strength meme lives on! Orb of Power has no need for foul, impure Magicks!

In Crawl, the main differences are:
1. Species. This is your main "difficulty setting."
2. Background. This affects starting stat distribution (meaning that non wizards will always be a little gimped in terms of magic due to a lower int) and starting skills and items.

Other than that, you can go wherever you want to with a char.

You hilarious retard.

>Or I could be a rogue with a focus on stuns and attacks from stealth.
>The closest thing to tome that I read about in the tutorial is that you can get some pretty potent stealth openers. But do tell me if there's any more

Vampire enchanter of Dithmenos. You can run around one shotting most foes.

No one really argues that ToME is more complex than Crawl. Crawl is better designed, but ToME's combat and loot systems allow for levels of autism that are unheard of in Crawl

Crawl is on the clock - food clock, out of depth clock. So while in Tome4 you could conceivably kill a worm that walks by attacking, healing, teleporting, attacking, healing, teleporting, attacking, in crawl your escape options are limited. If you can't kill something on the first try, you're not going to be able to kill it on the second try with identical skills. And you wouldn't want to, because you'd just be wasting time and resources. Healing to full can take a hundred turns or more.

Tome4 has unlimited escape options through infusions. Crawl doesn't have that, so it takes a little more thought in picking battles. Most of the time you'll be able to tab through a bunch of enemies, but there are far more times when a crawl character will be in imminent peril compared to tome, because in tome you can just teleport away or heal up. An engagement in tome4 against a single dangerous enemy can last 50 turns, depending on how much damage and healing takes place. That would never happen in crawl. Either you'd kill it in a few turns, or it would kill you in a few turns.

>No one really argues that ToME is more complex than Crawl
tome is more complex than crawl

>If you can't kill something on the first try, you're not going to be able to kill it on the second try with identical skills
the shit i read in this general nowadays...

I thought Orcrist would be a more powerful artifact

>rolls die
>get a 2
>energy scums
>rests
>comes down other stair
>rolls die
>get a 17

Yeah, no. Don't overhype Dungeon Crawl, dude. There is plenty of shit in ToME that rapidly kills you, early game or no, up to and including a very common encounter with 8 thieves decloaking all around you and attacking at once.

The food and OOD clock is not remotely serious -- unless you have a very very VERY scummy playstyle, or play the incredible Firestorming Spriggan, you will probably never run afoul of either.

>but there are far more times when a crawl character will be in imminent peril compared to tome

This is fucking stupid and indicates you have little experience with ToME.

And before you ask, I find ToME unbearably bad to play (the amount of attention span and micromanaging that a necromancer has to have to take care of his minions killed the game for me).

This is why Elona+ is the greatest roguelike. An epic battle against a True God lasts for 3 or 5 real life hours depending on what you use and that's already using a monstrous character that you've played for 500 hours

But Elona+ isn't a roguelike

*band weapon artifacts are yucky until DL40+.

It's hilarious that you can obliterate the game as a spider or a dragon or a monk, but as soon as you play a weapon-user you have to sell your soul to Satan just to get half-decent damage.

And if you're a spellcaster you'll never get decent damage!

the level of grinding is offputting

それです。

>disgusting interface
>grinding is like playing PCB but a hundred times slower
>bloated as fuck
>weeb
>snails aren't really snails
Elona+ is probably the worst (((((roguelike))))) discussed on this general.

>それ
これ*

Personally I think the *bands are worse, just because both are hugely grindy messes but grinding in Elona has bigger rewards and more open ended gameplay than just another ultra bigass healing potion.

Well I guess it would be better for a priest, since it's blessed

My dagger of rilia and main gauchw of azaghal can kill pretty much everything, aside from OOD uniques

I guess it could still be useful if I'm fighting something evil that's not an orc, troll, or dragon and it's resistant to poison

Yeah the joke in tome4 is that everything is harmless or annoying, and it's only when you encounter an elite mob that's already done half your health while you're autoexploring that you realize you might be fucked. Then it's just a matter of picking through your tools to see if you can live somehow.

It's intriguing that fights last less time though, even against stronger enemies.

How to prevent imminent death in Tome
>teleport, heal, use one of the many abilities available to most classes to reduce the enemy's damage or increase your defense, inflict status effects, don't get in the situation in the first place

How to prevent imminent death in Crawl
>blinking scroll, don't get in the situation in the first place

Bad play in Tome has no consequences. None. Bad play in Crawl is punished.

I don't know if I agree with his perspective but probably the most important skill in Crawl is peeling off enemies one at a time and figuring out what will be too difficult in advance.

This is the run I want to read about the most.

How to prevent imminent death in Crawl: Use an escape button.

How to prevent imminent death in ToME: Shouldn't have gotten stunned, too late now.

It doesn't help that autoexplore is broken in tome4.

How often do you need to eat during Rogue?

There is not a single type of action that stunning prevents in tome4.

There's a reason every guide ever written for tome4 tells you to keep your starting wild infusion, user

if you really want to post some bullshit, mention fearscape

What does blessed even do as a modifier? Anything for nonpriests?

Seems like it's just something for priests. I used blessed weapons against undead and demons in PCB and I did not notice a difference...

For nonpriests it doesn't do anything

But priests can only wield blunt weapons and blessed weapons, if a weapon isn't blunt or blessed they will suffer penalties

i mean that's the whole point of pillardancing ogres

they bash you, you reset the fight and try again to kill them before they get a big enough hit in

i played a centaur bard and fully half of my damage was just from the centaur's intrinsic kick attack, which was as good as/better than my weapon up until i found an art with +1.5 blows

for most classes it's just less likely to get cursed

for a hex high-mage trying to use your "curse weapon" spell on an artifact or a blessed item has a chance to fail and permanently disenchant it

stunning puts random abilities on cooldown and prevents cooldowns from ticking down until it ends

if you are dependent on just one or two emergency abilities, stunning can randomly make them unavailable

you know what else makes every ability unavailable? paralysis
do you know which game has paralysis?
not tome

Question

In Angband, which uniques should I always avoid?

slay all uniques