Driving a Manual in multifloor parking garage

I park in a parking garage that has 15 levels. I've never driven manual, but I'm thinking about getting one. I'm just worried that driving up the garage and down the spiral descending loop will be a pain in the ass, as well as parking in tight spaces. Can anyone tell me their experience with this?

I don't understand why every person that has never driven manual transmission thinks it's some sort of high difficult ritual to operate an extra pedal of the transmission god's. Dude chill out. There's nothing difficult about it. Think of it as driving normally just in a smaller space.

I was afraid of this too when I first started to drive manual.

It's not a big deal unless you have to do an uphill start and the car behind you is literally less than a foot away from your bumper and you're really slow but you can fix that by using the parking brake technique

dont listen to them you WILL end up rolling backwards and fendering somebody

it will happen

What makes you say that? That's like saying all new drivers crash their cars.

Maybe you just suck at driving.
I drive manual and my job requires me to drive manual I have driven thousands of manual cars on steep inclines with or without brake assist. And have never rolled back and hit someone.

this

i've only had a problem with rolling like the first two weeks with a manual. I can get off steep hills with cars riding my bumper like it was NYC.
I still can't do the parking brake technique, at least not in any way that feels smooth.

Yes, you will have to switch between 1st and 2nd gear a lot, especially when the garage is narrow or busy

you just wait until you feel the car pull a little then you let off the parking break... i do valet on a steep hill and i have to do this like 10 times a day because the spots are tiny

Don't get a manual OP. I run marathons for a living and operating the clutch in a parking garage is so physically tiring that I usually end up collapsing and waking up in the hospital. Parking in tight spots usually leaves me hyperventilating too, from both the mental and physical exertion.

>this is why women shouldn't be allowed to drive

>not having a V8 where you can lump along

>Murrcan parking spaces
>tight

No.

>implying I live in America

hahahahahahahahaha

It's just like driving a manual everwhere else. People allll over the workd manage it daily. I'm sure you can man up and learn, user.

I'm sick of all these 'how do I drive a manual if X' threads. YOU JUST FUCKING DRIVE IT, LIKE HALF THE FUCKING WORLD DOES. Once you know how to drive it, hills, hill starts, bends, all no problem at all.

Modern EFI cars have anti stall programmed into the ECU so it accelerates for you no less. You can still stall it if you dump the clutch hard but its a bit easier for noobs.

> Hurr durr how I manual
> I'M NOT AMERICAN

Any other country, you'd either have learned and tested on a manual with a professional instructor, or would have an automatic-only license.

>muh elitism

i still get anxiety if im on any sort of uphill incline and the car behind me is less than 6 ft away. what if i stall and don't hit the brake fast enough? i use parking brake on almost every red light now because of this.

You're assuming everyone who isn't American is from eastern Europe, most countries mainly use automatics as far as I know

Your knowledge is weak, young padawan.

Just stay in first gear you autistic loser. You are parking a car, not racing the strip.

Wouldn't you want to stay in second?

Manuals are still the most popular choice of transmission in Europe, however I've noticed that most new cars we sell at our dealership, and I assume that goes for everyone else as well, are automatic. Give it a decade or three and Europe will be mostly automatic as well.

But the problem is with an auto you simply will the car into its position with the brake and on a manual you throw it in a direction with the clutch. Autos give way, way more fine position control at 0-4mph.

Depends on the car and the transmission exchange ratio. Usually it would be fine, but sometimes you gotta go down to 1st again.

You'll get the feel for it after a week or two. Manual cars are all about feel.

You don't throw anything you moron. You carefully release the clutch until it bites, and then you ride it where you want it, with precision. You don't have to slamdunk the fucking clutch and hope you don't jump into someone.

You know the clutch, you can slip it, right? It's not like a light switch? It has full travel just like the brakes and throttle?

But you can't go nearly as slow. It'll stall. I've never seen a manual car move less than six inches at a time.

It's not an issue. Just leave it in gear and crawl forward, you don't even have to give it gas.

Shut the fuck up.

You can go as slow as you want, just get the clutch to bite and then apply gaspedal as needed. If whoever you saw was incapable of moving less than six inches at a time, they're shitty drivers or new to the car.

lmao

Won't it move the instant the clutch bites?

Let it bite less.

Want to know how I know you're a city boy?

The "sweet spot" where it connects to the flywheel, but only transfers a little bit of the power is the place you want. By regulating the pressure of the clutch on the flywheel, you can regulate how much you want the wheels to move.

>what is a hand brake?

For faggots who don't know how the clutch works.

But yeah, comes in handy sometimes.