Winter car prep

Well Veeky Forums winters coming fast up here in the great white north. I wake to frost covered cars. So what's your winter prep
> winter tires
> studded tires
> thinner oil to help with cold starts

>rustoleum on fuel line
>rustoleum on fuel pump
>rustoleum on suspension
>rustoleum on brakes
>rustoleum on dick

absolutely nothing, has Nokian Vatiiva tires on it yearround and i still run 15w-40 oil in it even in -40c because of good ol GM oil burning

things driven me through 4ft of snow in -40, this winter wont be any different

1. 0W20 full synthetic mobil1 oil

2. Rain-X antifog on interior front windshield

3. Windshield wiper fluid is the -20 degrees brand name high VOC stuff because cheap low VOC stuff uses salts to make it not freeze. This is a big deal because my state prohibits high VOC fluid, so whenever I go to the neighboring state (which is not often), I buy a LOT of the the high-VOC stuff there and bring it back.

4. Make sure windshield frost scraper is in trunk

5. Remove all freezable liquids out of trunk.

6. Check battery status & charge (not hard with my digital battery charger). Cold weather decreases battery performance, so if the battery is already close to being "worn out" then it is time for a new one. Being stranded sucks because stranded cars get looted by melanin gentlemen.

7. Switch from A/S to winter tires on cheap rims just before the worst part of the season, otherwise A/S. Switching is free at the local tire shop since I bought the winter tires from them and they have the lifetime free swap deal which includes a free inspection and balancing of the tire if needed. Just show my purchase receipt and all is fine.

8. Put a few small plastic bags in the trunk. I put my arm in one and use that to shove snow off the car. The bag keeps my arm nice and dry. Shake it clean and dry after use and put it back in trunk. I don't need to use some scratchy snow bristle brush.

Do you live out of that?

I just have all seasons for tires on my civic so it doesn't really matter

I make sure that my fuel is always topped off to stop freezing

Nice Mondeo, bro

that mondeo is sexy as fuck.

right now there's nothing I need to do.
when temperatures drop below 0 then I just need to get that "Special" winter diesel.

>plug into block heater when I get home
>remote start before I take my morning shit

Put a big sheet of cardboard over your windshield at night so if it snows during the night it's easier to clean off

Place bottle of de-icer and two ice scrapers in easy reach of the driver's door.
Sub-zero screen wash when it gets that cold.

Everything else stays the same. Roads are gritted to make them safe, both windscreens have electrothermal heating elements, and my car's reliable enough to work no matter what the weather.

> YOU NEED WINTER TIRES
No I fucking don't. I live in the south of England. If there IS snow, it doesn't stick. If it does, it's usually scraped off before I have to drive on it. The only tricky bit is reversing out of the driveway and starting off, and that can be made simple with half an hour's work with a snow shovel. If it DOES snow, and stick, and not get scraped up, then I'll be limited to the speed of a panicky dimwit in front anyway.

>scratchy snow bristle brush.
I just use a soft broom to push the worst of the snow off. It's usually sat on top of a layer of ice anyway, so I can't damage the paint.

My general 'frozen car' routine is to start the car, set both windscreens heating, then walk around knocking frost off lights, mirrors, and side windows, before pushing melted ice off the windscreens. Then get back in and drive off.

I have to put on my thicker jacket to ride?

>My general 'frozen car' routine is to start the car, set both windscreens heating, then walk around knocking frost off lights, mirrors, and side windows, before pushing melted ice off the windscreens. Then get back in and drive off.

I am somewhat similar, but a few things in different order. I start the car to defrost both windshields and warm up the insides. Then I immediately brush the snow off the front windshield first followed by the rear windshield next. That's so the melt doesn't soak into the snow making a thick heavy mess that is harder to get off. Then I knock the snow off the top of the roof and sides before checking all the lights to make sure they're cleared. If any ice remains on the windshield, I take out one of those free ice scrapers Comcast sends in the mail. You know, those fake plastic credit card-like promotional items. They are great for scraping ice off the windshield and they are free.

Cool car bro check it I got the SVT model

Hmm i wasn't expecting people to compliment my old contour (North American name for the mondeo).
Nice I'm lucky enough to have the 2.5l v6 I might one day grab the screen intake and exhaust.

>bring out the cable for the engine heater
>winter tires

Thats pretty much it. Might make some concrete-slabs to put in the back of the truck depending on how it'll do once I get the new tires

This is now a ford thread

>start using actual windshield washer fluid instead of tap water.

I can't think of anything else I should be doing

I don't get a lot of snow, so I use one of the proper 3-in-1 ice scrapers to push the top layers of ice off once the underside has melted. The hard plastic blade is good for chipping it off side windows enough to see out of.

I only need to clear enough space to get down the road. By the time the heater kicks in enough to warm me up, the windows are ice-free.

New Maine resident, was curious if anyone in a similar clime could give some insight into what I should look into so I don't go too ham and spend too much money. My co-worker told me removable stud tires could be a decent option, but I'm thinking it might be a bit overkill, as I'm no stranger to snow driving, just not necessarily the quantity they may get up here. I have an '04 AWD CR-V if that helps provide recommendations.

I work from home/remote a lot so if it snows outside i don't really have to go to the office, work from home for the snow season and car just sits outside covered in snow for a day or two

it'll do fine with 4wd. just dont get overconfident at speed.

>Might make some concrete-slabs to put in the back of the truck
Much less dangerous would be sand bags if you have an accident.

You don't want hard concrete flung forward and spearing something with a huge dent. Not that the back end flips up into the cab window after the front edge hits the front of the bed. Those dents can be big enough to make the bed touch the back of the cab. It'll give you an annoying rubbing noise.

i dont do much
>switch to winter washer fluid
>set heated seats/mirrors/thermostat when parking for the night
>give it 2 mins of warmup time
>pack tire chains
>carry bugout bag if i'm gonna be going anywhere without cell service.

just got a brand new taco and it hasnt been through a winter yet, i dont imagine i'll have to do anything different though. the bugout bag just has supplies and signal flares in case i get stuck somewhere off the beaten path.

>winter tires
>5w-40
>silicone on door seals
>oil locks
>find my cable
>proper windshield washer liquid
>scraper brush thingy in car
That should do it

Ofcourse it will, but I'd like to set it up so I could fully utilize the rear wheels and only engage 4WD when it gets really steep, really tough or when I am towing

I've gotten around fine in an older HiLux on unmoddified BFG A/T's, so I guess mine will do just fine on brand new Hakkapeliitaas

Dat dere fluid film

besides camping partially i do in my driveway, i work nights and my girlfriend is like a fucking bull in a china shop at 9am and getting woken up daily after 3 hours of sleep is miserable. bed in that camper is fucking comfy and its insulated, i just turn on my little heater and sleep for 9 hours undisturbed

>Much less dangerous would be sand bags if you have an accident.
Use bags of kitty litter, so you can use it to provide a grippy surface on ice and snow.

Just put the sandbags over the rear axle. While some people put the weight aft of the rear axle in order to use less weight, the farther back the weight is after the rear friction point to the road, the more likely it is to fishtail if grip is broken due to that levered weight. Snow tires are best of course, but sand bags are cheap and don't rot and fester if they get damp.

With AWD you'll probably be able to get by just fine in southern or coastal Maine. Your #1 enemy is road ice anyway. If we're talking northern Maine tho don't even *think* about not putting on snow tires. Winter is war up there.

Other than that a lot of the stuff in this thread is spot on. Windshield scraper is a must, get one that's extendable and has a brush end. We have one per car and another in the house.

I like to build little fires next to the car's wheels to keep it warm.

Do people still wrap chains around their tires? Haven't seen anyone do it in ages.

I dd a 79 trans am and the Heater doesn't work. I can survive with a coat but I'm worried about not having a defroster, what do?

Post pics.

as you can see the entire heater core has been removed

>he fell for the winter tire meme

>tfw sold my car before winter

>Do people still wrap chains around their tires? Haven't seen anyone do it in ages.

Because many decades ago, tire technology was a lot less. Thus chains. Then everyone switched to cables cuz the clearance between the tire and body disappeared due to changing car designs. As winter tires improved and stopped dropping their studs, even cables stopped being sold except at specialty auto shops.

Cables are still popular and used around here for the packed hard snow. Peeps still use cables for mountain passes here because the DOT requires them.. They put them on, cross the pass, then take them off.

I have a small bucket in my trunk to hold the cables before/after use. Don't want the salty snow ice in the cables wetting my trunk liner.

>winter tire meme
Muhv6 is still as retarded of a drunk driver as ever

Keep that Rain-X antifog on your front windshield. Don't use it on tinted windows.

Various stores and even harbor freight sell windshield defrosters (heater plus fan) that plug into the aux power socket. Obviously that's not efficient, but that's how it goes. Be sure not to draw too much power from the aux socket. Different cars have different wiring sizes for them.

To reduce the amount of moisture in the cabin, shake the excess sticking on your shoes before you put your feet inside the car. I sit on the seat and bang my feet together to get the snow off before putting them inside.

best thing you can do is install a working heater
its not like the parts arent available

I just swap out winter tires.

I keep a shovel, and snow brush year round. I also have tow straps in the trunk.

Nothing else I need to do.

when they took the heater core out they also removed a lot of the wiring for the fans and stuff too. If I can at least ghetto rig some defrost I'll be good.

none

just luvvin dat Gulf Stream West of Scotland winter time.

OP here Winter tires Might be a meme in some places but in an area like where i live with an average where average temp (wind chill inc) is about -30C (-22F) and average yearly snowfall of 168 inches which is what 14 feet (monthly about 20ish inches) winter tires make quite the difference quite different. Compacted snow on the roads is quite slick and winter tires are a softer compound then summer or A/S tires, which gives better grip, how do i know, by being broke. couldnt afford winter tires for a while when i first got that car, slid alot, got money bought winter tires 10 times better

average winter temp not where

i bought a 81 Toyota Hilux off a farmer that bypassed the heatercore because it was dicked, he installed one of these inside. i drive a 3/4 ton Chevy in winter with heated seats full and heater full because fuck no heat in -40c

honestly though that things gonna fog up like a sauna in the morning unless you can rig up a defroster

i was a mechanic for years, they make a difference. i remember doing tire swaps some cars wouldnt make it up the incline to the garage in the snow on summer tires, after winter tires they took it fine

My driveway is a 30ish degree incline so...
Winter tires
Cat litter/shovel

Chains are totally a thing. It's a last resort for sure but you can slap those things on baldass tires and go through anything. If chains don't give you traction you're fucked. I plow snow with an F550 in the winter. 4x4 with 4 chains on and I'll be making mountains 10 feet tall with no trouble.

Literally nothing. I live on southern California