Is it even possible to find a 96-01 Jeep Cherokee XJ that isn't a piece of shit...

Is it even possible to find a 96-01 Jeep Cherokee XJ that isn't a piece of shit? I have constantly been searching CL and found one decent one that wasn't way over priced. It had 100,000 miles, one owner, excellent condition and it sold hours after the ad posted. Guy was asking $4000. That one slipped through my fingers and now I'm sifting through clunkers for the same price.

Pic related, the car I missed out on.

All cherokees are shit m8
Dont bother

They rolled out of the factory like a turd down a hill.

I don't get it. Garbage on wheels with 300k miles and these people have the nerve to ask $4500. Fuck

Not OP but why?
Legitimately curious.

Steering column falls out. Common problem.
Poorly built everything except the block. So expect everything to break often.
If you park on a bump you cant open the door because the unibody is such shit that it flexes several inches
Diffs like to explode at random (on the freeway doing 55mph)
They can barely do 55mph
Enjoy 8mpg with no power too
Just poorly thought out all around

I've owned a 92 cherokee for over five years and the only one of those problems I've experienced is the shit mpg

Oh look, it's this shill again. He's talking out of his ass user. Move along.

Really a simple google search shows that he is correct

JEEP A SHIT
JEEP A SHIT
SUCK MY DICK
JEEP A SHIIIIIIIIIIT

>Steering column falls out. Common problem.
Never heard of this.
>Poorly built everything except the block. So expect everything to break often.
Somewhat true but somewhat overstated.
>If you park on a bump you cant open the door because the unibody is such shit that it flexes several inches
No.
>Diffs like to explode at random (on the freeway doing 55mph)
No.
>They can barely do 55mph
lol fuck no, I've been up to 110 in mine with plenty of power left.
>Enjoy 8mpg with no power too
Also wrong as fuck. They have good power and Cherokee's are light as fuck if it's an early model. Mine was Just poorly thought out all around
Subjective.

>someone who has actually driven one in good condition that was stock for 4+ years

>>Enjoy 8mpg with no power too
>Also wrong as fuck. They have good power and Cherokee's are light as fuck if it's an early model. Mine was

you can find examples of literally ANY vehicle structurally failing, sometimes it happens when millions of vehicles are made

Find one with the least rust possible (you won't find one without rust) and then rebuild the entire running gear. It's not even that expensive on an old car like that. You can RockAuto almost all of it. Most of the 4.0s won't even need to consider a full rebuild until 250-300k miles.

this, and it applies to just about any older vehicle. I'd prioritize a clean rust free shell, and in general an original non-molested vehicle. I'd rather swap a transmission or do some engine work than undo some janky ass wiring from some vaping monster-sticker previous owner, or dealing with a bunch of awful rust. On something this old, especially an SUV, I just assume I'll be swapping all the shocks/springs/brakes/etc anyways.

Just bought a 95 ZJ with a 5.2 for $750 AMA

How much are lot fees in your trailer park?

I wouldn't be able to park all these cars at a trailer park lol

I feel the exact same as you OP except with the 93-99 Subaru Legacy.

9/10 have a ton of rust
9/10 have 250k+ miles
9/10 are automatic

I have been searching for months and the only one I found I can't get because I have 0 credit and a shitty bank. Despite being able to pay a down payment over 50% of the cars worth they won't work with me because I live an hour away instead of 5 minutes.

I'm just messin man, the setup was there.

Post pics! A friend got a '98 Laredo (4.0L, Selec trac) back in highschool as a senior for $5k with like 115k in excellent condition. Real nice comfy truck.

Just get a high mileage one with the least amount of rust you can find for 2k and less bought two Cherokees first one with 250k on the clock and the second with 308k when I bought it (325k now)

I own three XJs

You are full of shit lol

Have a 92 4 door with 3.5inch Rubicon Express lift on 33s with over 300000km
A 98 2 door 5 speed manual with 250000km
And a 98 4 door with 160000km

The only one that struggled with getting up to speed on the freeway is the 92 with the big tires, because it was never regeared to compensate.

Your post sounds like you are retarded and bought a seriously fucked up cherokee and then instead of taking responsibility like an adult for your mistake you decided to cry about how all cherokees suck on the internet.

My steering column has failed on 0 of the cherokees.

Only thing that has broken on any of them is a driveshaft u joint, due to the no axle shims or SYE on the lifted XJ.

The Unibody does not flex, I don't know who created this meme but people crawl these XJs with the best of them and there's pretty much no actual documented cases of this happening ever. There's still frame rails, it's not literally a sheet metal box.

The diffs do not explode. Even my beat ass 92 with a Dana 35 rear and tires way too big for it with the wrong gearing didn't explode.

None of them get that bad of gas mileage. Normally I don't reply to much on here but I don't want someone to miss out on owning an XJ because some autist on the internet made them reconsider buying one by spouting a bunch of bullshit

>google everything this guy said
>its all true and common issues
Fuck off

Nowadays.....Very unlikely. There's still a few out there OP but most of them have been eaten up by people who dogged the shit out of them offroad after an el chealpo lift.

If you do find one in good shape, dont modify the hell out of it and dont put it through hell. These were never meant to be rock crawling machines. Just a simple dependable small 4x4 SUV.

Just bought a 93 for 1700

Thing is fucking spotless, not a fleck of rust. But no. You can't. I looked for months and they're either rotten chopped up shit or they're a mint. Nice starts at 7k around here, my budget was 5k after repairs and except for the rare Bird that was right at 5k...

Where are you? You know to check the foot wells for rust right? Under the carpet, that shit is thick and hides cancerous missing floors.

Saw flat ~1 min
Drill out~3 min
Replace with grade 8~30 seconds

tfw wheeled an XJ hard for 5 years and never had unibody problems

Stay mad bro

>who dogged the shit out of them offroad after an el chealpo lift.

Sawzalled fenders make me rage

>yfw matte black jeep in the rain at night
will post a pic from the craigslisting

It's dipped from the belt line down including the snowflakes

was that picture taken at the campsite near fischer towers outside of moab?

My friend bought one $800 with 200k miles, ran and drove fine. had to put about $500 into repairs but he drove it for a year before selling it to a family friend which is still using it

Jeeps are pretty shit though idk why you would want one probably just the awd meme

I'm of the same mentality with my 4Runner. It's engineered from the factory to be plenty capable for most trails outside of purpose-driven rock bashing, I enjoy it for what it is and it's been awesome. Relatively serene highway ride aside from sensitivity to crosswinds and some skittishness over expansion joints and big potholes (normal for this class of vehicle). Solid 20 mpg in mixed highway/back road driving with some fire roads mixed in.

Have you ever actually driven any jeep ever made? You know you can take it out of 4wd yes? 8 mpg there is something seriously fucking wrong with your jeep

>hasn't driven any jeep you can't take out of 4wd

>awd
>4wd

Does any other board have so many misinformed millennial no cars who only spout memes and don't actually drive out understand the basic difference of anything being manual v auto?

In the general area. The BLM campground near Deadhorse Point

Yup, Not everything has to be lifted 8 inches and ruined. I like my little XJ for camping, get about 21 mpg interstate with the AC off and it can get me pretty much anywhere I want to make a base camp out of. There's no point into trying to turn it into something its not or never will be.

I guess this would be a fitting thread to ask, so why not. We have had my Grandpa's 91 Cherokee Limited for forever now and we aren't really sure what to do with it. We really only use it once or twice a year for the snow because it's 4wd is God tier. The rest of the year it sits outside and I feel bad because it's actually a halfway decent car by Chrysler standards. Anyone have any idea what these would go for? My grandpa bought it brand new from the showroom and it has a fuckheug folder of service records. Also I have never seen a Cherokee like this before which is why I'm asking. It also has 140k miles on it too in pretty good condition

I do understand the difference between 4wd and AWD but 90% of the people buying jeeps don't hence why I stated the AWD meme

noice

Catch it up on any maintenance it may need (fluid, filters, belts, suspension, brakes), undercoat the shit out of it, and drive it more often! Nothing worse than prolonged sitting for a car IMO.

Since we're discussing the 4wd - is the full-time 4wd "Quadra-Track" supposed to feel like 4wd in tight turning like in parking lots? I was under the impression that at low speeds with minimal difference it was supposed to be unlocked.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Jix
Et
Egain
Pony

Daily drove an XJ in the UK for a year, 4.0 Limited. Great car. Comfy, nice and high, bags of power, 4WD was handy, and the engine needed 0 maintenance and just refused to die.

Jamaal
Easily
Evaded
Police

how much are you selling it for? might be interested

>shilling against an old car

doubt.jpg