/domg/ - Dominions General

Letting the thread die edition.

Previous thread

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm (embed)

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Jump into MP feet first
>Never create shitty threads with political images
>Work on your blogs, videos, and the wiki

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=CastInTheNameOfBobYeNotGuilty
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=Steel_Domg_Run
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for DRN

So where are those ScrubWarrior graphs?

Serpent Dancers.

Your favourite one is the shittiest.

Fifth for shilling

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=CastInTheNameOfBobYeNotGuilty

I forgot I even signed up for that.

Probably not gonna start for a week or two yet, I figure. Although maybe Bizarre ending will get some more players?

Mostly started as a reaction to Malakal Malakalling AllMAGames and my suddenly having time for another game.

In other news it looks like about 15 people signed up for the disciple game.

Didn't the guy posting them get banned for posting Democrats?

Yep. It's moggers, I think.

Dalkrin Thred.

Remember to join games llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=Steel_Domg_Run

Fishy don't be shy. Make your goddamn turn.

Ugh this map. Nothing like 6 province cluster of swamps eh

It's not really a cluster when it's a straight line surrounded by good provinces.

Add 2 or 3 province start

>being a bitch that cant expand
But I'm just shilling anyway so I cant change it.

I just don't like having to deal with completely ass retarded starts next to only thrones, heavy cav, and amazons

Thats all part of the game famalam.

Nah, I just consider it better than having to wait half a dozen turns because the map design is shit and the game said fuck u

>expecting fairness
>in dominions

Multi-province starts don't make shit maps un-shit, but they at least make playing on them more bearable.

Or you could suck it up and not be a bitch. Expansion is one of the more important parts of the game.

Yeah, suck it up next time when you start in a mountains with 2 connections one of which is gonna be the 3-point throne, and the other a heavy cav province.

Fag.

SALT
A
L
T

Maybe you should have started with an awake pretender huh?

Would be an idiotic choice for Vanheim.

>playing elves
This explains everything.

>unable to deal with a level 3 throne and heavy cav
>as fucking vanheim
I was with you for a bit, but in this case it's just you being bad.

It was MA. And MA Vanheim even with double bless can't reliably deal with heavy cav for like 2 turns anyway because starting troops are mediocre and 4 vans won't change much. Just try it on a random map, you'll see what I mean.

And the passage about level 3 throne is fucking ridiculous. What are you gonna do on turn 2 against a RoS spammer, suicide your army?

>What are you gonna do on turn 2 against a RoS spammer, suicide your army?
Use Living Pillars :^)

>And MA Vanheim even with double bless can't reliably deal with heavy cav for like 2 turns
So you lose one turn of expansion. Big deal. You can split the parties up after you take it.

>What are you gonna do on turn 2 against a RoS spammer, suicide your army?
Walk over it. Unless you're doing innovative scales vanheim your expansion parties are all stealthy.

How important is skill in this game? Are there any factions that are just beyond all help?

That's what I did. The thing is, you need innovative resources in your cap to make innovative vans/einheres. Without provinces in cap circle, it's almost impossible to produce sacreds at a usually innovative rate.

Arguably there are, but unskilled player with a top-tier nation will still lose to an experienced one with a low-tier nation.

t. unskilled player with a top-tier nation

Pretty important. The gap between the weakest and strongest nations is pretty big, but a good player can definitely win with any faction. Unless you're MA Oceania, apparently.

Oceania is supposedly just useless, so is Vanilla Theo.

I haven't seen any Machaka wins either.

>Unless you're MA Oceania, apparently
EA* Oceania

MA Oceania at least has one trick. EA Oceania has only a little more than vanilla thed

I have been summoned. What is your wish?

Go north, dead man, and finish what Robbledoth started.

Death gems!

I'm sorry dear friends, you are mistaken. I'm not currently playing Dalkrin in a game. I'm the creator. My mistake.

Einhere are available everywhere.

Vans cost 16 resources each - your capital alone can produce 5 a turn without production. That's as much as you have gold for anyway.

I'm not saying that it doesn't hurt at all, but you had basically the ideal nation to get stuck in that location. Anyone else would have been really screwed, vanheim should be just somewhat inconvenienced.

What tier would you place your nation? Top, middle, bottom? It probably has the highest number of territories in our custom nation game and it leads on the gem/research chart.

I was trying to get it balanced in line with the rest of the vanilla nations in the late age. I believe its considered middle or so on the main mod forums.

u wot m8

I can probably give some feedback once this game is over.

That's down to a good startposition and a lot of free space. I did not expand quickly for having an awake pretender, but I was allowed to expand well past turn 20. That coast cut off from the rest of the continent by a mountain range was just the ideal starting spot, and the RNGesus made it so I was the only one starting in notEurope. Gem income is a byproduct of that combined with the death capsite which is standard for undead nations.

Honestly I can't even use my territory properly anyway, had I been a living nation, I'd be leading those graphs by much more, since all this extra territory for me is almost useless, apart from a few nifty sites.

good evening gentlemen, Reminder that this map has very minor terrain clustering, and the man crying over multe-province starts should know that not a single Lvl 3 throne exists in this game.

I also hope we see many of the same players that were involved in the first Jojo games

In mixed skill games capable players can maintain 50%+ win rates playing a wide variety of nations (when average winrate would around 10% or less since most games have participants somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10 and only one can win). Some nations are very impotent compared to others and some capable nations have horrible matchups but if we're thinking of an expert player against a newbie or a scrub, the expert would win in all matchups.

There are numerous factors from tactics to diplomacy (when in game larger than a duel) that give a cumulative advantage, but one of the pronounced differences independent of played nations is bad players often being incapable of winning in a raiding game or making a determined assault. By dodging pitched battles the expert can conquer most of enemy territory without having to fight the enemy head on, and then win simply through virtue of having far more stuff: Many a time I've seen scrubs simply manoeuvering their deathball seemingly by random while I or some other assailant conquered their territory in blitzkrieg fashion with token forces without the enemy being able to predict where those forces would move next and catch them in the act.

Bogarus, you're not accomplishing anything but helping Pangaea win while losing most of your mages and soldiers. I told you more than an ingame year ago to stop attacking midgard.

Is it Kami?

If that's the game I think it is, i'm in it actually. I'm the LA Atlantis. Took down LA R'lyeh after a long and incredibly annoying war because seriously fuck his dominion.

Bogarus went AI (this turn I think), presumably after getting the bulk of their mage force feebleminded by Strands of Arcane Power. Oops!

But yeah, their behaviour was truly bizarre. I stand by my original analysis from around turn 20 (in my view Bogarus doesn't have a great matchup against Midgård so if I had been at helm, I would have sided with Pan against Midgård and dealt with that threat when it was more manageable and they were fighting nations other than just Pan) but they sat around doing nothing until the tables had most definitely turned and Midgård was neutralized, and then they effectively committed suicide by feebleminding their mages.

If Bogarus is around, I'd be really fascinated to hear their perspective and why they made the diplomatic choices they did (both in the initial neutrality and then turning against elves).

Don't all the sea recruits for LA Atlantis come with void sanity?

Oceanian Thred.

Shouldn't their stealth stuff make them pretty good at raiding and elfing stuff?

Just the expensive ones. And they arent as good as your regular stuff.

Can anyone upload a copy of that one "What I expected, what I got" image for Dom 4? Trying to persuade a friend to buy a copy.

They do, but the rest don't. Plus his dominion also has popkill, so towards the very end I was fighting in provinces with fuckall supply. End result is a huge pile of diseased guys that, whilst easily replaceable, is still a giant pain in the ass to deal with.

It boils down to skill vs knowledge, and at what point you consider knowledge to be skill. You need a shitload of knowledge for this game. On how the mechanics work, and how units interact with each other on the battlefield, what kind of spells are available to you as any given nation, and what sort of strategy you can use them for. What strategies are available for your opponent and what you can do to counter it.

The real strategic skill in my mind boils down to using these knowledge to get the upper hand on your opponent. Mind-games and predictions are a big part as well, since turns are simultaneous. Wars can be won by baiting enemy armies out of position or successfully dividing and conquering your enemy.

[SPOOKY INTENSIFIES]

Midgard here. Bogarus was fighting me for most of that period. Essentially as soon as I turned back jomon. It was a constant drain on my resources and attention. There was no point when I was fighting you 1v1.

I'll be playing Gath soon, how does an F4B9 bless sound, when the plan is to mass Se'ir as early as possible?

Dormant or imprisoned? Dormant would be available for soul contracts sooner, but it'll probably take more than half a year to get my blood economy in order.

Any tips for expansion? I'm thinking just go with levites, maybe with some archers.

I must confess I didn't keep scouts on the Eastern border between the two of you because Bogarus had rather garrisons in their forts and was constantly shuffling forces in their core territory and my border (sizeable forces complete with mages and in positions that didn't make a lick of sense if they were actually moved against you) so I never even guessed they could possibly be fighting a war elsewhere and didn't bother scouting provinces that I thought didn't have anything that could possibly interest me.

Goes to show how indecisive the player was and depending on if they actually committed with any kind of seriousness, makes your resistance more commendable than I thought (as it turns out, I still haven't finished the job because it seems costly).

I love ichtyids

Ermor begone!

What the fuck is this flag supposed to be???

It's obviously a derpy horse with fabulous hair

Ichtyid only nationgen when?

Battle has been met with the foul ghost scum. I believe someone promised me a rather large sum of money.

That actually sounds like a cool idea.

And of course I forgot the image.

I"ll take my reward as well

Fish am I forgiven? :(

Sorry, Yomi, but I'm taking that water province. It says you don't have anything there, so I'm doing it this turn. Nothing personal, I've just been choked out of sea provinces and kicked out of the land.

Yeah we're cool. I won't make any more attempts at the land until I've liberated the seas, and I'm not mad at you anymore.

i see your army fomoria you cheeky cunt

Yay! Now I can get back to ??? because I think I underestimated how, uh, 'tricky' Hinnom is. Which is stupid because I literally asked people for a really bad nation to play so it's not like I shouldn't have seen it coming.

Whut? I am going to go fight indies.

okay, im keeping an army nearby just in case

Which is why a multi province start is actually preferable.

My army is tiny dont worry.

I would say that for most games, maybe a 2 province start is good. It's not really a big difference and it prevents insane worst case scenarios where RNG just ruins your game from literally turn 0.
Well, mostly. It's still dominions RNG so it could just fill the world with invisible air mages probably if it felt like it.

yomi........

Looks like there are 2,000 ghosts in this thread.

Nah, you just need non-shit maps.

Any decent map should have any 2 province areas labelled with nostart, and maybe even 3 province areas too.

>In the meantime one of our players was killed by a government death squad (I wish I was joking) but we'll find a sub. I hope to get better news soon!
God damn, the Chinese Illuminati are way more hardcore than ours

All maps should have at least 4 connections, or 3 connections with throne placements pre-placed.

And when I say connection, if it has a temp requirement - it doesn't fucking count. Neither do water provinces. Any amount of connections fewer than 4 (or 3 if thrones a pre-set) leads to a strong chance of fucking for tons of nations.

Though Vanheim is not one of them.

Don't listen to the baddies asking for multi-province starts.

They just sound sloppy. The only way you find out when our illuminati has done anything, is when players mysteriously triple stale. They even go to the length of bringing in a decoy to keep taking the player's turns after!

Is this the new >stabbed by a methhead?

>methhead
>not understanding all the cover identities that the illuminati use.

Joining in on the anti-spook effort.
I believe there was supposed to be some money involved.

This. Like Arco in FattestMeme was literally in the strongest position in the game and then all of sudden he was no more, didn't say anything , didn't even go AI.

Lemurian Thred.

Does liquid body reduce trample damage?

Rather than delay the turn again, hosting interval was changed to 48 hours. It's late enough that this kinda makes sense anyways.

It should since trample is AP damage last time I checked