Ok Veeky Forums, Being a gear head and an American I've come to an impasse. I know American cars are typically awful...

Ok Veeky Forums, Being a gear head and an American I've come to an impasse. I know American cars are typically awful. I'm trying to figure out the Best American car ever made. Which do you think it is?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zl7jk85D2sE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

not the corvette

panther

THIRD GEN F BODY

Tesla.

1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1

>American cars are typically awful
poor baiting. 1/10 got me to respond

Viper ACR. Literally beats hypercars on track at a fraction of the cost. Chris Harris himself even called it a fantastic car that is "in another league" compared to a Porsche GT3 RS

The all new EcoBoostâ„¢ Ford GT.

Dodge Viper.

1964 Mercury Comet/Ford Falcon
>still holds 14 production car endurance records all the way up to 100k miles averaging 124mph
>finished the East African Safari rally
>drove from the tip of Patagonia to Alaska
>fastest car at the Monte Carlo Rally and held a stage record until the mid 80s when it was beaten by a Group B Quattro
>raced successfully in Trans Am, British Touring Car Championship, Australian Touring Car Championship, and WRC
>fastest car and season winner in NHRA factory drags for both the small block and big block divisions running 11.30s and 10.50s respectively
There's been lots of American cars that have done more impressive things in one area but doing all that in one year in factory built cars was pretty nuts, imagine a car built these days that's being sold at a dealership running for 100k miles straight at all, driving across Africa, running a 10 sec quarter, and winning a circuit race

Buick fag here
70 Buick GSX

The only thing American cars are good for is going fast in a straight line, hence why the viper is dead

The only correct answer is the Hennesy Venom

1989 Trans AM 3.8 turbo

I got to drive one of these in stock form. it's about the same as a 454 chevelle albeit slower, with a fuckton of body roll to boot. pretty standard

It's funny. I was a complete chevy fan boy my whole life until I was trying to by a chevelle to fix up and then I stumbled upon the buicks and they were so mich cheaper to buy that I started looking into them and now I'm pretty appreciative of them. I have a 70 skylark now. I don't really think the GSX is the greatest american car of all time, I just think they are overlooked in the muscle car world.

i have the 5.7 tpi. there's something special about those cars.

1970 AMX. Also Chrysler E Bodies

>that hood
Haha, oh wow.

Fuck thats nice. My boss has a 85 ta. I use to have a 92 rs but sold it years ago. In the market again to buy one as a project. Found a decent 86 z28 near me. Something about 3rd gens. i fucking love em.

They are. Stereotypes exist for a reason. the U.S. market is largely isolated, that's why they sell so many there. There are pretty ordinary sales if any outside of the Americas.

>Doesn't know Mustang is the most popular sports coupe in Germany

I think its the most popular sports car abroad period, is it not?

panoz and roush make some good stuff
also some versions of the Pontiac Firebird can be made to handle pretty well

as for muscle cars they need a different kind of driving to get the best out of them
its a relaxed method that most people can not get into you pritty much have to chill out while still paying attention

they are slow to respond and cant be rushed
steer them like a boat you have to ease into corners and wait for the car to roll and settle

same goes for the throttle
treat it like a sponge and only go above 80% when you are sure the car is at the right attitude

many of them have too much power to use all at once
so its more productive to go a little slower than necessary at times then make up the difference elsewhere

its sketchy as fuck on bumpy surfaces

>panoz

Panoz means diarrhea in Russian. I kek every time.

The 3800 is the best american car ever,

Is there anything more beautiful?

well they do look a odd

>Not a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T.

oops, it's a 69 in pic.

I know these are widely popular, but the front end, big rear wing and notchback top are kind of ugly.

That's what makes it popular

>not the Olds 442
70% of the same bodywork with a Rocket that'll blow its doors off.

youtube.com/watch?v=zl7jk85D2sE
I do wonder how well it works
my current understanding is that most of the older style is just to avoid lift
and with some things like the gurney flap to help desert air around hollows in the over all shape

Euro here, what does such a god machine cost?

this man knows his stuff

66 and 67 Nova are my favorites.

$5-15k for a normal one, $400k for an A/FX (the factory drag cars). The actual cars that raced in Monte Carlo, Africa, and the speed record holders have all sold at auction for $100k-$150k recently. Here's one of the East African Safari finishers at Monterey last year

Best bet is to build a clone from a cheap base model. A, it will be a shit ton cheaper. B, you can actually afford to beat on it. C, it will probably be better and faster in every way.

another yuro here, you can find them for a good price in europe(falcons), I think they were even sold here for a short period of time, great little cars but be preper to pay 10000-20000 for a good one

There's actually more active Comets and Falcons vintage racing in Europe and Australia than in the US. Most of the Falcons from BTCC and rally never made it back to the states. They were built by a British team (Alan Mann racing).

>superbird popular
They were sales kryptonite when they were new and thought hideous for more than a decade after. It wasn't until the mid eighties that people began to think "Holy shit, that they did that is outrageous! I want one!"

Yeah, naw. Olds got nothin' on a Stage 1 Buick.

The 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer

2016 viper acr

kek

The 1967 Gurney Eagle MkI.