Steering question

Steering question.

When my steering wheel is straight I go straight, but lately something odd has been happening. If go at a set speed or accelerate slowly the car is fine and same for braking.

But when I push the clutch to shift or when I accelerate hard the car pulls to one side. Instead of TDC of my wheel being 12 o'clock it goes to about 2 when I accelerate hard.

And when I push in my clutch to shift the wheel TDC moves to around 10-11 area.

It's pretty sketchy and I'm not certain what could have caused it to do this.

Any help? It's a odd question so I haven't found anything searching yet.

Car is FWD.

Maybe my sway bar links?

wat kar

2000 Focus.

Yea, I think that It's going to be my Sway bar links. After reading a good bit of shit this seems to be the most likely culprit.

Bumping for opinions.

Torque steering?

Sure maybe a little pull. But when I let off the throttle and the car pulls the other direction doesn't make sense.

And since it happens any time I either let off the throttle or push the clutch in that doesn't make sense.

I'm thinking sway bar links or tie rod ends after reading a good bit about the problems.

>it doesn't make sense
The engine braking is enought to move sometimes

>engine braking is enough
Engine braking doesn't do anything when you have the clutch pushed in. At most the engine would move if the mounts were bad.

It's fucking torque steer . There's a reason you have an intermittent shaft and longer axle then one side it's to help prevent that. Congratulations you have found a normal operation of a car.

Its normal for a car to sway when your fat ass puts their leg on the clutch.

This is not normal anons.

Normally there is a bit of torque steer sure. But this shit isn't torque steer, it pulls one way and then suddenly without warning pulls the other way. Which should not be happening.

And its the same thing when I let off the throttle. Shit feels super lose and scary as fuck, And nothing like how the car has felt the last year and a half I owned it.

have you checked your tire pressures?
sounds stupid but trust me it happens.

I read about how low pressure could cause that last night. Went and filled them up because they were low.

did not make any difference. If anything it actually made the sudden steering pulls more frequent and fucking more sudden.

Allighnment!!!!

Alignment doesn't cause this.

It causes the car to pull in one direction at any time.

If the alignment is off and you try and go straight with the wheel straight you won't go straight.

This is fucking different, I can have the wheel at dead 12 oclock and go straight under normal throttle and braking. It's only once I let off the clutch or go wot that the steering gets lose.

That means somehow when there is excessive force on the suspension that the toe is getting fucked.

Meaning a broken or worn part... If it was alignment the shit would happen in all situations, not just one.

Bumping before going to bed.

>But when I push the clutch to shift or when I accelerate hard the car pulls to one side.

Ha, maybe time for more people with manuals to try this with their cars as a test of their own sway bars? Would they get similar results or only in a few cases? I guess I think too simply since I had always thought camber and caster were correcting forces in setting how the steering wheel likes to stay in the center position.

Sway bar links are actually part of what I believe the problem is.

The one thing that bugs me about Veeky Forumss competence Is the following.

>Car pulls sporadically to both sides
>someone says get an alignment

It's silly as an alignment problem doesn't cause this. A worn part that changes alignment (toe/caster/camber) could cause this. but it would most likely be toe related as slight changes in caster and camber aren't as noticeable as slight changes in toe.

If one of my tie rods ends is going bad and it's even small play that could be a few degrees of changing happening under force. Making the car randomly change toe while I drive causing it to do this sporadic pulling to both sides.

As I described here.

Anyways I'll be checking my car in about an hour or so once the sun comes up.

>Anyways I'll be checking my car in about an hour or so once the sun comes up.

B..but today is date of a 24hr solar eclipse!

Check sway bar bushings and links. Check your tie rods. Check your motor mounts. Check for body damage and rust. Your description to me sounds like your car is jerking as the engine moves in response to throttle changes.

>Anyways I'll be checking my car in about an hour or so once the sun comes up.

So, what did you find out?