www26.zippyshare.com/v/8RYHWKUe/file.html
braeunig.us/space/orbmech.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

1st for Dinosaur jam.

poal.me/33ujzy

Rust!

Reposting link to Uplink source code that a generous user uploaded:
www26.zippyshare.com/v/8RYHWKUe/file.html

I really recommend you check out the \other folder, it contains pictures of project books with the vision for the game and so on.

I made a title screen, sort of
>tfw all the core programming is done and all that is left is (((((content)))))
I didn't realize how much making a text adventure would make me resent writing

>Everyone collab on the same game jam
how the fuck would that work

it wouldn't

You can do it user

if even i managed to do it you sure can do it

Trying to see if cubes would do it for the distant mountains. Looks like garbage. Moreso without grass or rocks in the scene.

Made some solid progress on the terrain today, but god know I'm not an 3d artist.

I love that indie games now have several styles that I can instantly see to skip over.

I think it looks okay? What type of game? infinite runner?

I don't know I think it work, even more so if you get more stuff in there.

I put Newton's laws into Unity and got these objects going in elliptical orbits around their barycentre, I think.

The orbit certainly looks right but the only way I'd know for certain is to place an ellipse in the scene that is exactly on the path where the planet should be and look to see if the planet does follow that ellipse.
I know enough maths to know how to describe the ellipse given the starting parameters of the planet but I have no idea how I would place said ellipse into the game without tailor making it in blender and then importing it in for those specific starting conditions. Obviously if I change the starting conditions I'd have to make a new ellipse so I'd rather not do it that way.

Anyone have ideas about how I could plot the ellipse into the scene given the starting parameters?

p.s.
No I'm not making a KSP clone, I have an idea for something MUCH worse

Just use pyramids?

>> AGDG Chats
>steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
>webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev
Delete these

Look into editor Gizmos, maybe it will help you

Yes. I'll make some simple cone shapes with fake shadows, that should look nice

for(int i = length; i > 0; i--)
{
// How do I calculate a value from i that will start from 0 and increase by one each for-cycle?
// No creating a variable outside the loop
}

What do you guys think of GameMaker Studio 2?

I hope it won't be too expensive.

>was about to give up fixing a bug today
>last attempt finally worked
>going to bed with relief

No greater feeling on earth.

Thanks user
Terminaldevs have to stick together in this cold place

How does this look? I'm mimicing Nexus the Jupiter Incident here.

Also, I asked this in the old thread but no one responded so I'll try again:

I'm thinking of extending my game to an entire solar system instead of a single planet-moon combination -- but I think it might be a bit of a usability nightmare.

To move ships from one planet to another, you'd have to:
>select the ships in the current sector you want to move
>zoom out from the sector to the planet view
>zoom out from the planet view to the solar system view
>zoom in on the planet you want to move to
>click the sector you want to move the ships to

Moving between different sectors around the same planet would just be one click -- so only moving across the solar system would really be "annoying". I think it might be okay because it's more 4X than RTS but what do you guys think?

bet it felt greater when i was fucking you're mum LOL

Having had a harder think I could probably just import a slightly thick annulus from Blender, use the component x,y,z scales to make it the right shape and then move it to where it should be

Looks good. Can you make it more realistic?

>Girls who code
What am I looking at?

length - i - 1

the oposite of this.

Gamebryo's source code

HAH

Is it meant to be an insult or is it one of those things where it's unintentionally proving the point they're arguing?

>tfw that webm made me have a vision of a space-travel simulator
>first-person "metagame" where you spend time in the ship, chatting with other players through the monitors, playing minigames, etc.
>occasional stop at a distant planet, after hours of traveling
>maybe take a friend with you, and fuck around in 0-gravity with the objects that you have in your spaceship
;_;

Never mind, it's actually just length - i.

is just a nice gif i found and needed a excuse to post

Eccentric orbits rather than circles? Definitely on the todo.

When it comes to it, this website is the Holy Bible

braeunig.us/space/orbmech.htm

>born too early to explore space

I feel you user

Is it me or the ranges and sizes aren't really realistic? Also the smaller bodies should influence each-other, no?

What kind of food would a nuke eat?

how does this make me so sad

Oh yeah, the scale is absurd. Just working on drawing the paths.

People with real life experience, I need advice.

College student, eventually want to dev for my own studio full time, enjoying the life.

I have a couple internship offeres for next year.

Main one is Google, I'll make about 8k a month as an intern, and more as a full time employee. This is prestigious and will make me some decent money.

Second I have couple from game dev companies (think Epic, 2k, etc).

None of them make my favorite genera (GS) but still make great games and would provide experience.

Which path would lead to me having the easiest time making my own studio? Professional experience? Prestige and moeny?

the evaporated souls of the japanese

>GameMaker Studio 2
>expensive
unless they wanna kill themselves,
they won't require people to pay to use.
there will be at the very least a free version that have mostly everything with some limits.

Sounds good. Keep it up.

Uranium?

Nigger don't be a retard. Go work at google, I don't give a fuck what you want to do with your life.

Google intern, working in a AAA game studio will end up with you being overworked and underpaid.

I hope so. I've heard some rumors about a paid subscription.

I knew they'd do something like this after the humble bundle.

Make money.

It will look so good on your resume when you say you quit your job at Google to work on your passion.

Yeah I figured, but maybe funding would be easier if you were a dev? Or a host of other things I had not considered, but thanks

>Also the smaller bodies should influence each-other, no?

They should but making systems of more than 2 planets would become an absolute nightmare since most of them behave chaotically, it took nature eons to form our solar system where everything isn't crashing into each other all the time. Much much much easier to have the smaller bodies ignore each other.

>Google intern
>underpaid
What?
You make like 6k+ a month.

Read that post again.

Working in an AAA studio is going to make you at minimum 6k+ a month. definitely not underpaid

Check out Children of a Dead Earth for N-body physics. Great for autism, not so great for gameplay.

yea that makes sense

One solution could be to handle the planetary and sector travel separately e.g.

>One click zoom out to the solar map (e.g. a solar system map button or something).
>Click the planet you want to go to.
>Your ship takes off and slingshots around the planet and heads for the target.
>On arriving it begins a high orbit of the planet, still in the solar map.
>From that orbit the player can either degrade into a sector (a 'land' button could work well) or slingshot again to a different planet.

You could also allow clicking through to the sector map from the solar map via a clickbox around the planet.

Aspiring 2d dev here.

Left unity. Just downloaded, properly linked and tested sfml is properly running.

Mistake, or best decision for make games?

For the amount of work you might end up doing, it very well could be. AAA studios are still largely soul destroying crunch machines where its employees are just entities to be consumed, spat out and replaced.

Mistake or best decision depending on how much effort you're willing to put.

SFML isn't a framework or engine.
You'll have to handle everything from your main loop to things like animation, tile maps or whatever else you need.

That said if you put in the time to do that work your self, it's much better than using a bloated engine and you don't have to deal with the retarded GCs of managed languages.
Don't be dumb and allocate things on the heap constantly during gameplay though.

College student, finished all levels of foobar (full clear, including the after where you redo all old problems)

Would kill for an intern position at Google. You literally would have time and money for dev if you had a job there. Great company.

Do it and don't look back. Make dev your hobby. If it becomes profitable from your own work someday, then consider making it your job. Not before then.

Love2d would be easier.

>For the amount of work you might end up doing
They have the money to fund huge teams. I doubt it's anything comparable to being a 1ma and handling an entire game on your own.

Most 1mas here spend 10hours+ a day on their games.

>AAA studios are still largely soul destroying crunch machines where its employees are just entities to be consumed, spat out and replaced.
How would working at Google be any different? And that's not the experience my friend who worked at an AAA studio said. In fact it was the polar opposite.

PROGRESS!!!!
Oh lord what a day. Sometimes the simplest things are the worst. I spent 3 hours trying to get a background to school, then change position. anyway I redesigned the enemies, added transparencies, and Lots of sounds and music. Too bad Veeky Forums has silent webms.

Working on that multiplier feature! feedback welcome.

In honest enough to say that I don't know what you mean by allocating on the heap while typing this post, and that I'm looking it up now. Thanks for the advice.

I know it's a learning process, but it's like learning math to me. I would rather learn how my identities are derived, and leave with a better understanding of them (and more likely to remember them.) I know I have a lot to learn about things I take for granted (display, collision, audio, etc) and am ready to pretty much start from scratch.

You have a lot to learn but if it's just 2D then it's not hard, learn how memory works properly before starting your engine.
Use modern c++ with smart pointers, it will make your life easier.

What he's saying is that a 1MA can make a game within their scope and spend 5 hours a week on it. Working for a triple A as a programmer will often lock you in for 60+ hours a week during crunch time and you could end up sleeping at work.

However, the most important thing is that 1MA and small indies have full creative control; at AAA's you're just a worker drone building pieces of a product that you have no meaningful input into.

even i'm gonna try and do a low poly model of whatever is first to reply to this

odds i'm gonna make a video compilation of particular scenes in movies i like masturbating to.

Appreciate it. I never thought about it like that. Even if you don't make an "engine" you still are pretty much going to. Might as well keep up with what you learn, and eventually you keep reusing a lot of similar functions and classes.

Teapot

Huh. Zero is of even parity by the way

Monkey head

done

Now make it a cube

what a waste

They look better than the cubes you had before.

Looks good to me.

background is a lot easier to see stuff on now

I'd recommend a mix between what you had before and what you've got now, because I actually live in the desert and I thought the plateaus looked fine.

casset recorder

Quick UI buttons is definitely a solution but I'm not sure it's perfect.

For gameplay reasons, ships can't maintain orbits outside of "control" sectors around the planet, which is honestly the core of the issue but it'd be like if you could float ships outside of gravity wells in Sins of a Solar Empire -- pretty silly.

love your pallette user

Yeah sure. If it takes more than 30 minutes I'll consider it a failure and stop.

Yeah... I had this before I made the mountains. I like the plateaus quite a bit.
Thank you. It's gonna look very rich with actual traffic as well as more environmental assets.

shit, this looks fun

Where have you placed the mountains?
Are they giant things far out on the horizon?

Progress. Party management screen done!

>Those ugly dark-skinned characters and names

Dead on arrival.

I like this.
They will render far out. They will pop up on either side of the road in front of the player, travel around the player depending on the player speed and then disappear down just as they appeared.

nah that guy's game was pretty cool last demo day

Thanks! that was actually a completely wrong webm. this is the right one

>all this progress
Good lord dude

Yeah well I lost my job and a lot of other stuff so I am filling a hole with learning how to dev.

Keep it up

Apologies to anyone who had a heart attack upon seeing their score reset. I forgot to add the old ones in. I will do that next week.

Isn't the ball a little overpowered? It can shoot enemies and destroy them on contact... maybe adding a little penalty when you destroy an enemy on contact or maybe having limited ammunition. I don't know...

So if I wanted to create 3d game with different outfits and character heads, I'm guessing you should model the head and outfits separately or?