Problems in a 2001 Lexus RX?

So I think I'm going to "inherit" my folks old lexus

anything i should look out for in terms of maintenance?
I know the stereo sounds kind of subdued...
anything under the hood or underbody?

Thanks! Will bump with girls&cars

F

My dad drove his for over 200k mile till he got into an accident. For some reason the service people couldn't align it properly nor figure out what caused the car to shake so much when going past 40 mph.

He replaced it with a 2007 model and the same problems exist...

I had one. Only issue was a trans solenoid at like 150k, but I advised the fuck out of that transmission so idk. Awesome car, 9/10 would own another in a heartbeat.

really? awesome, my folks car has 125,000-130,000 miles on it
i've been going pretty hard on the transmission myself when ive gotten the opportunity to drive it, i love the sound of a v6
should i maybe not floor/rev it so much if transmissions are an issue?

you mean that you bought a new car that wobbled when you hit 40 mph? that sucks

>dad got into an accident
>service people couldn't align it
>couldn't figure out why it shook so much
You are a retard/10

TIMING BELT
If it's free just drive it until it snaps.
Oil filter is in a stupid fucking location but that's it.

Keep an eye on the transmission, just keep the fluid in good shape and hope for the best. Awesome comfy cruisers aside from that. Honestly the newest Lexus crossovers (and cars) aren't quite as good from an interior quality perspective as these older ones.

t. '96 ES300 owner

Main problem is that you'll look like a cunt driving it.

Sell it to some ghettard brandwhore for stupid money and buy something less embarrassing.

You'll be fine, just make sure to drain and fill, not flush, the tranny every 70k or so miles. Seriously, this thing was the perfect highschool car. Smashed many an ass in the back of that thing.

Don't shift it like a manual, just let the auto do it's thing and don't select the gears with the stick unless you genuinely need to gear down.

Almost forgot, check when the t-belt/waterpump service was last completed. Non-interference engine so no real risk of catastrophic damage, but if it is due then budget for that.

lol i wonder about that, i drive a black 2010 civic coupe ex-l now

thoughts?

The newer ones definitely smell of female real estate agent/trophy wife, but I'd say the older ones are old enough to not really catch anyone's eye. These older RXs look the best IMO, it's been all downhill from there.

disregard whatever stigma you think it may have, and enjoy the comfy turn of the century toyota engineering. It will be a massively more sedate vehicle to drive compared to your Civic, that alone makes it worth it IMO. Toyota knows how to make a buttery smooth V6 and nice shifting automatic transmission.

130k is nothing for a lexus/toyota, like other people said just make the timing belt is changed
Those cars can last a solid 250k miles easy

This

Honestly, even if it is older, there's a lot to be said about a week taken care of luxury product verse a slightly older economy car. Game changer in the comfy level.

aha that's good advice, i'll keep that in mind.
yeah i asked about belts and pumps, they said they get it serviced at the dealer. they check that right?

>sedate
yeah, that seems to be the driving style of it, like it's not about flooring it and zooming by but about being comfy and relaxed. im actually pretty stoked about it now

I realize the spoiled housewives aren't driving 2001 models anymore, but the "Lexus Bitch Wagon" mental association is still there.

I would seriously try listing it on CL for 50% over blue book value just to see if any idiots bite, especially if it's in good shape.

so you'd take the civic coupe over the lexus?

I would, just as a matter of personal preference.

If you like the comfy ride of the RX, you could always look at a Lexus sedan of similar vintage. Same comfy, better handling, less stigma.

Probably? Go outside and look and smell it. Look up guides on line about: is my automatic transmission fluid healthy.