Buying car from dealership

Need help, I'm going to a dealer to buy a car friday (never have bought from a dealer before) and I need to talk him down from 7500 to 5000 or I'll be in debt.

The kbb for the car (5th gen lude) tops out at 3800 for a private party and 5500 from a dealer with 4400 being fair from a dealer. The problem is that the car is fucking immaculate 1 owner and has 80k only with all maintenance records everything done on time so if I dont get this it'll be a heck of a lot of waiting for another good one to show up.

I found a salvage one with 69k on it for 5500 on my local craigslist so maybe I can use that to try to help talk him down, but I'm pretty clueless. Any tips?

mint ludes are hard to find. you might get him to 6k. but definitely not 5 unless you suck his dick.

Well shit.

Also I forgot to mention, they've had it in stock for quite a long time. I first saw it a month and a little ago but the history report shows it first was sold to a dealer back in January. So hopefully he's tired of it sitting or something, though I dunno if it's shifted dealers and stuff.

>dealer

U better lude that ass up, boy

Depends on your market. Around here an unmolested, documented under 100k prelude carries a heavy rice tax. 7500 would be a good deal. KBB doesn't mean shit, you have to look at what they're going for where you are. Craigslist, cars.com, etc are more useful indicators. And you can't compare a prime example to a salvage title. Those are completely different animals.

I say go in and give it a try, especially if it's been sitting on the lot for awhile. If 5k is your limit, then stick to it and don't let the fuckers talk you higher. Don't be afraid to get up and walk away. There are lots of other 5k cars out there, arguably better than a prelude. At your price point, patience pays off considerably.

Yeah, I get that the salvage title car is shit but I was thinking of mentioning the price on the one with lower miles than the dealer's already low mileage one as a way to try to knock some of the price off. I dunno, I've never negotiated with a dealer so I don't know what to expect. I think I've read they go off bluebook shit a lot but I guess dealers would actually have an idea of what shit goes for like you said. Of the shit I've test driven so far the lewd is my favorite so I'm inclined to try to get it even if it's not the best on paper, although I'm hitting up some places a couple hr away tomorrow to test drive some other shit before I actually buy the lube. But I'm definitely going to be walking out of the dealer if he doesn't get down low enough at least to scare him, even if I end up calling a few hr later again heh. Unfortunately I fear they'll be able to smell my interest.

Just walk in and express interest in the car. Shoot the shit with the salesman for a few minutes while you inspect the car. To into his office and wait for him to give you an offer. Make sure its a bottom line or out the door offer. That will include all the tax title and doc fees. Ask if it does include all listed fees, if not tell him to give you the final price with those listed fees. After having the offer, look at for a minute or so and pretend you are thinking about it. Then counter offer.
You can either counter with your actual offer, 5k, or go lower and come up when the salesman laughs at you. If he flat out refuses the offer them just stand up, tell him thanks for your time and shake his hand. Then leave. If you want, you can give him your number to call back of he decides to sell it after watching you walk out.

If the car has been there for 8 months already, chances are pretty good they'll call you back the next day or after a couple hours when the sales manager hears the story of the kid who wanted to buy that prelude that's been sitting there for over half a year.

The dealer is not going to go down over 2500$ period.

Thanks for the advice. Would it be a good idea to plan on seeing another prelude at another dealer right after seeing that one to try to get the dealer to give me a good price before looking at his competition or would he just give up? The other dealers I've been to when test driving shit with no intention of buying just fucked off and gave me their business cards when I said I was gonna go look at other cars and call them back later but maybe if I tell him at the start I have to be out of here by 5 or whenever to look at another prelude and then start bargaining for price instead of just walking out it would work? And tell him at the start that I'm gonna be buying a prelude at some point that day. Also the car although it has maintenance records for everything needs the current 30k maintenance stuff done still so maybe I could give him a quote for that? Will definitely be pretending I want an auto too and mentioning how terrible the color is.

Well fuk, I guess I can go into a lil debt, I just don't want to go into enough debt I have to start selling lewds and 'ludes to buy ludes.

Give us some details on the lude.
Is it the base model? S? SH?
Join the Honda Prelude Facebook group. There's dudes on there selling 5th gens for really cheap all the time, and posting part outs regularly. So you could get a cheap lude and then fix what's wrong with it fairly easily.

I've DD'd a 4th gen lude for a few years now and like the other user said, mint life's go for a lot of cash because the aftermarket is huge and they are relatively fast for FWD 90's cars.

Mint ludes*
Fuck you autocorrect, piece of shit phone.

Base unfortunately.

I've never used facebook in my life, haha. Yeah I'm wanting to get one mint even if it's a bit more extra cash because I've already got a project car so I'd like one that's not going to need anything for quite a while. Shame that seems to mean extra cash required up to the selling lewds level.

Are you going to keep it stock?
Is it a manual?
I mean you could be doing way worse for what theyre asking. if you got it for $6,000 out the door you'd be doing ok.
The only thing that really makes preludes great though is the VTEC.
You might just want to hold out for a VTEC model, depending on your wants and needs.
If it is an automatic though, and you buy it, you're a moron.

>selling lewds and 'ludes to buy ludes.
kek'd

Manual thankfully, I was just gonna slap some new wheels and paint on it but keep it stock other than that except with the price it looks like I'll be keeping it stock for quite a long time. Yeah it's just gonna be a dd so I ain't too picky about the lack of vtec

wait what am I saying the US spec base has vtec. you got me to bullshit and pretend I knew you were right to look like i knew what I was talking about but you weren't actually right and i did know what i was talking about. and ATTS is what I'm missing but not too picky about.

this is legit the only way a sales man will come down. You gotta play hard to get what you want. If you really want him to come down that much you have to be willing to lose the car all together.

Don't over pay for something like a car because you will regret it.

>7k for a non vtec prelude

What is this lmfao

yeah I dunno, not many in my area at all and the ones that are here all seem to be pretty beat. Also a couple of the beat ones are listed a bit over 5k too even. and yeah american base has a h22a4 even though it's a base.

could get a type s for that money.

all usdm 5th gen preludes have vtec tho