hey guys, i have been driving for just over 3 years now and i'm sick of driving automatic. it makes me lazy and ive found myself texting while driving and dozing off more often, so a little challenge i think would help me. i recently had my friend teach me the basics of stick on his truck and it was really refreshing! anyways, i also want it to be a little sporty and fun to drive, but a daily driver to get me to work and school. i'd also like to learn more about cars so i want something i can work on myself and get to know cars better, because my dad didn't teach me shit. i really love how hatchback 240SX look, and i am a snowboarder so i like the extra storage for our boards. i know most tend to be unreliable because drifters and racers have fucked them up, but i was wondering if any of these looked like a good starting point. I will probably be able to sell my car for around $1000 - $1500 and i'm willing to put about $5k of my own money into this as well.

here's what i've found in my area:
ventura.craigslist.org/cto/5802688014.html
bakersfield.craigslist.org/cto/5789045010.html
bakersfield.craigslist.org/cto/5785464012.html

just wanted to get Veeky Forums's thoughts and opinions because you guys helped me with my first car purchase and helped me stray from my 16y/o idea of getting a 70's camaro and i'm glad i didn't lol.

You have a good mind for what you want and desire. I'd check out the first one op. Welcome to manual bro. Just so you know truck manuals are a bit different than car manuals. Almost identical but different. You will see.

same. my first thought was the first post as well, because mister military man seems to have quite the technological know how. The other two are very sparse on info, could be diamonds or turds, more likely to be turds, knowing the 240's reputation as a duriftu missile.
/not OP

appreciate the support guys. would it be worth asking some questions to the other two? mileage, additions to the car, how many previous owners maybe? i do agree the first one seems like the safest bet so far though. definitely going to message that guy

on the second one, my guess is the guy ran it into one too many things sliding it around and now it doesn't work right, you can see a series of scratches all over the right side on it.
I'd probably pass on that one.

Third one, plastidip is a red flag. Means the paint underneath is massively fucked, or he's covering up rust, or he's got supreme shit taste. No matter what the reasoning, he's probably not been too kind with his car. Not even bothering to get the covers for his wheels.

Military man methinks is your best option, just beware that the bumper at least will need to be repainted eventually.

Enjoy a super shitty car scumbag

didn't think of that, thank you.

i'm cool with getting the bumper repainted, my whole point of getting a car i liked was that i would care enough to make it look nice instead of resenting it and just doing the bare minimum needed to get me from A to B.

anyways, i'll definitely make arrangements tomorrow to see that car, its only about an hour away.

also i'd love to hear any more tips or tricks or info i can get about owning 240s or finding them for sale (besides craigslist) from anyone.

thanks!

Don't buy a 240 unless you are a masochist. You've been warned OP.

Seriously this.
Super shit cars

Not shit cars just shit owners. Any 240 you find is 100% guaranteed to have been beaten to shit it's entire life

No they really are shit cars

Not gonna lie I've had mine towed almost 10 times this year alone. I wish I was exaggerating. Thank god for free towing through insurance

The one I'm looking at has been owned by 3 people and has only minor modifications. I think you guys are exaggerating a bit. If not, I'd love to hear some alternatives because I really like the look and utility of the 240.

if you're not interested in drifting and all that, get an integra DC4. Its hatch, and probably easy to find a manual of it.

>bmw e30

Well Im kinda interested in drifting, but since it'd be a daily driver I'd probably only do it once in a blue moon for fun. I've heard some good things about acura integras though, in my town most are heavily riced by Mexicans unfortunately.

Don't these cost a ton to repair? That's the only thing I've heard about bmws.

>aren't BMWs unreliable
the engine and trans are pretty reliable, however since it's and older luxury car there are a lot of small things that go wrong. Interior bits, electronics, etc. That's what I've heard at least.

Also the parts generally cost as much as your average shitbox

electronics being the big ones, which have to be repaired by certified BMW technicians who are far and few between

>texting while driving
You should have your license taken away.

not often, definitely not in traffic, but i know, i dont like it, its just convenient. that's one of the reasons i want to drive manual. i want to focus on driving instead of getting distracted.

I have a s13.

I can confirm cracked dash, moisture seeping in through the doors (not enough to be wet, just enough for mold to live) and for some reason injector's foul the fuck up and die.

The S14 is so much better it's not even funny.

there are more than one choice for rwd manual coupe shitboxes you know

For ~$6500, I would recommend looking for the following:
>is300
Manual is rare but usually higher miles so it's not too pricey. 2jz is reliable af. More space than most coupes because sedan.
>sc300 (similar story)
>Mustang
>Camaro
(probably only a v6 at this price point)
Less practical:
>mr2
>miata
>350z
Aside from these, you mainly have fwd vehicles. Although there are a lot of good ones, you've said you may wanna go hektik. If you're looking for a fun daily, consider a hatch like an ms3 or gti

A lot of these apply to my 200sx as well. Very suffering.

but we're talking unmaintained teenage drifter cars here, the one i'm looking at was used as a daily driver and not much more. if it hasn't been abused, and he said his wife had used it as a daily for months with no breakdowns, it should be safe to assume i could take good care of it as well right?

i'm aware, but the S13 is my favorite of the bunch.

For lots of technical information and write ups check out Zilvia.net

They probably have a buyers guide too.