Mustang vs. Compact Daily Driver

I've determined that a Mustang is probably going to be my next car. What practical reasons make it a better DD than an average compact car? What makes it worse?

>difficult to see over the hood
>shallow turning base
>if its an 8 fuel mileage
>lack of storage space

There's your negatives.

There really isn't much bad, is there?

Most vehicles aren't bad if you know how to work on them.

I own a little 4 banger, so I don't know routine maintenance and shit with Mustangs. I've only driven and ridden in my brothers and I'm not a fan of how low you sit to what you can see over the hood.

I've personally only ever owned cars with short hoods or very sweeping down hoods for great visibility.

>coming from the guy who's never owned a Mustang

Buying a coupe is not about practicality. You get worse MPG, less storage space than a FWD sedan and build quality can be suspect.

What you gain with the V8 is performance and status, which is the only reason why you should buy a Mustang.

Do you want to enjoy your daily driver? If so, go for it. Otherwise get a shitbox as DD.

Practicality to me is:
Can I get to work? Yes or no.
Will it be expensive to maintain?
Will it be expensive to repair?

I don't need back doors because I don't have kids. I don't need trunk space because I don't buy a lot of stuff. I don't need a tiny car because I don't live down town.

Turbo manlet detected

>shallow turning base

??? Not any worse than other cars I've driven and certaintly not noticeably bad

>if it's an 8 fuel mileage

What did he mean by this?

>lack of storage space

It's got a pretty big trunk but it's almost irrelevant for any coupe.

sorry you're such a manlet

2008 GT owner here
These answers apply to both V6's and V8's
yes
no
no
Mustangs are common, so parts or ridiculously easy to come by. Ford sells original OEM parts online, and just about anything you could possibly want is available aftermarket for cheap

Dude do whatever you want man I daily drive a carbureted 5.7L v8 camaro 50 miles a day. I'm planning on getting a bronco XLT too as a possible DD. If u like the look and feel of a car than by all means drive it

It's not going to be a better DD but Mustangs are very liveable.

>solid rear axle
>heavy as fuck
>solid rear axle

stay away unless all you drive smooth highway pavement

>I have never driven a car or truck with an axle, the post

I'm not going to lie and tell you it's better for comfort but it's really not noticeably worse.

>Work in a mine
>Work 13 hours a day and Saturdays
>Only bright spot of the day is the drive home

The s197 was an alright daily but the s550 has been an excellent one. I'd probably neck myself if I had to go back to something boring.

Solid rear axles are completely inferior to an independent suspension for pavement driving in every way- period

If you have smooth straight roads buy it, but prepare to die if you push it on an unkempt windy road

>i have never driven a car or truck with a axle, the second post
Do you think solid rear axle means it has a spool or something? Like I said it's really not noticeably worse apart from feeling potholes a bit more. Yes, it is inferior, but not in a significant way.

>it's really not noticeably worse apart from feeling potholes a bit more

Did you read the second part of my post? If you push a heavy as fuck solid rear axle on a bumpy windy road, you're fucked

I personally have a problem with that since I like driving backroads and op might too

Yes, I did, and like I said, it's not all that noticeably worse. Brakes, tires, and suspension setup matter far more than suspension design.

It makes no difference unless your going 90 you fucking clod

I own a mustang and live in ghetto chicago with potholes and cracks in pretty much all the pavement.

It's a good daily driver. Youll feel bumps more than usual. Not bad as anons who drive the bus point out to be. Only negative is gas. Mine is tuned and has bolt ons, i get 11ish MPG. I dont go on highways. I hoon it alot. Not expensive to fix, lots of parts in US.

>it's not all that noticeably worse

It is, unless you're too dumb to notice
>"The drawbacks are that it does not allow each wheel to move independently in response to bumps, and the mass of the beam is part of the unsprung weight of the vehicle, which can further reduce ride quality. Also the cornering ability is typically worse than other suspension designs because the wheels have zero camber angle gain during body roll. Front beam axle suspension is also unusually sensitive to any lack of concentricity in the hub and wheel assembly which can cause a side-to-side oscillation ("shimmy") of the steering at certain speeds (typically 40-50mph)."
>typically 40-50 mph

It's trash

forgot to mention the front beam shimmy also applies to the rear beam as well

Small back seat... don't get a v6... I got an 07 gt really fun

>unless your going 90
>your
Sure thing Cleetus. Buy the cuckstang it was made for idiots like you

It makes no difference for what he is going to use it for. Why bring it up? Didn't you read the OP post?
Aww shiet I really gotta use dem grammrs on an image board? Fuck off no argument dolt

>Why bring it up?

Now he can't complain that he wasn't *warned*.

When you see that Corolla pass you on a fun curvy road, don't chase it- period.

Op, you better get the GT if you'll be getting one.
I have an 07 gt and I love it.

Yeah, that's about exactly what I said, it gets slightly more unsettled over bumps and the lack of camber gain hurts you a little but not really. Try actually driving cars and not watching Top Gear.

I daily drove an SN95 for 14 years, and my biggest complaint was suspension. I don't know about the S197s, but if you plan on daily driving the older ones, they ride rough. As for both generations, interior is going to have that cheap feel to them. Winter weather driving requires a loooot of patience and precision, but if I could do it over 14 years in a SN95 with no ABS or traction control, anyone can. I can't really think of any advantages outside of power if you are getting a V8.

Ultimately if you are a car guy, it's about something beyond measurements. It's about how the car makes you feel. I daily drive a 2015 Mustang GT now, and I have no complaints. I knew fuel economy was going to be in the 22-25 range well in advance before I bought it and I just think of it as the "cool car tax". I could have got something way cheaper and more practical and loaded with way more options, but everytime I start that car I feed my soul. If you can, drive what you desire and look a little past some inconveniences that might sprout up.

Not OP but sorta related question: How's the forward visibility in your S550 compared to your SN95?

I've driven both flavors of SN95 and sat in an early S197, and the hood profile bugged me in all of them. It wasn't the length, but rather the height of the hood "bump" relative to the seat position in the car. The S550 seems to have smoothed that out (and it looks damn sexy), is the forward view any better?

How short are you?

I hope you see this, but forward visibility in the S550 isn't bad. I drove a 2001 Mustang for 14 years, so getting a new car in 2015 was a bit startling at first. The long, high hood took a bit to get used to, and the damn A pillars were annoying at first, I've been DDing it since May 2016 and I still have cars magically popping up from on ramps because of the pillar blocking them. Once I learned how to "look past" them everything is fine. Rear visibility is good except for driver's side blind spot checking: I can't check it by turning my head, at all. I have to trust the little bubble on the corner of my mirror.

5'10". My torso length is such that I can sit in most compacts without reclining the seat, but my head is usually about an inch from the headliner.

Wow, the A-pillars are a lot wider than they look from the outside. I know what you mean about learning to look, oddly enough my current shitbox sometimes hides cars behind its rear-view mirror.

I figure rear visibility would be a loss compared to what I drive now (from 1989), but I've dealt with "challenging" cars before, no big deal.

97 gt owner here. DD it to work for a while, even through snow and shit. Now i just have it out when its dry. It's not the best car to drive when there's water on the ground but it can be fun if you want to play. My other car is a 2010 taurus sho, and honestly I think I still enjoy driving the mustang more. Suspension ain't exactly the best for comfort on either, but fuck comfort, you're driving a mustang because it's a mustang, it's not supposed to be comfy, you're supposed to feel the road. Sadly these cars don't attract attention like they used to, so if you're going for that just back away now. If you want a simplistic pony car that is always a blast to get in and beat on you can't get any better than a mustang.

>difficult to see over hood

Hobbits shouldn't drive cars

>shallow turning base

Compared to what. Turning base on my 07 GT wasn't any worse than my 240z

>8 fuel mileage

What?

> lacks storage space

Trunk is larger than your average compact car trunk and just about as large as any full size car trunk

>

Stickshift GTI or Focus RS

I live in the nation of potholes and I see Mustangs being driven everywhere. I don't think this is an issue