SR20

>SR20
>RB25
>EJ
>4G63
>1-2JZ

Why does Toyota's 4 cylinder turbo 3SGTE never get any praise or recognition? Does o just not care about the MR2 GT-S and Celica GT-Four?
There's even a Caldina Wagon/hatchback.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wwueTgYcS-Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I mean, look at this beauty

Toyota doesn't care about anything that isn't a fuel efficient mass consumption econobox anymore.

I mean, I get that

But why is this engine/platform always so overlooked compared to it's counterparts at the time?

overshadowed at the time with the MKIV Supra vs Skyline

the MK IV Supra didn't get released till 1993

This engine in the Celica and MR2 had been going at the time since 1986 and 1990

that engine sucks

>SR20
Hunk of shit
>RB25
Meh
>EJ
Subarus best was really bad
>4G63
Lol shit
>1-2JZ
Best of the bunch you listed
>3sgte
Wasnt bad except the ones that had cracks between cylinders. Plus was not offered in a RWD car so its hard to mate transmissions that can handle power

>Plus was not offered in a RWD

The MR2 is RWD

I mean FR. Sorry.

What's wrong with the stock tranny? It handled a shit load of power and won numerous racing series- even more than the supra?

why doe

it's reliable as fuck and makes power

I'd assume it's not that well know in the US due to the newer GT-4 not making it there.

You dont seem to understand

but we got the MR2 Turbo

and at the time it was cheaper than both the Rx-7 FC and 300ZX

it was a lightweight reliable bargain that handled amazingly

It does. People love the shit out of the naturally aspirated 3S-GE BEAMS, too.

>Lol shit
You take that back right now, motherfucker.

Seriously though. Its terrible

To be fair

It's a pretty unreliable engine user. I don't think it's shit, but you'll be paying out the ass for it if not kept up to spec daily . .

800+ HP

youtube.com/watch?v=wwueTgYcS-Y

Why is it though, on paper it ticks all the boxes.

It already earned all the recognition it needs.

>"Some early versions can be used with conventional oil but later versions require the use of synthetic oil. Because it has a interference engine design, the timing belt must be kept in top condition at all times in order to avoid very expensive repairs, inconveniences and for the obvious safety reasons (breaking or snapping during high engine speeds, such as on a highway or freeway, leading to an accident, serious injury or death). It is not unusual or uncommon to pay about USD$2000 dollars or more in order to repair or rebuild the cylinder head along with any other damage to the aforementioned parts if it is bad enough. Oil leaks from old or defective gaskets will eventually degrade and deteriorate the belt overtime, potentially causing even more catastrophic engine damage since it is in close proximity to the harmonic balancer which also has rubber in it, as well as having the accessory and drive belts tensioned onto it. Likewise, owners and potential future consumers should purchase genuine OEM parts only, as lower cost, aftermarket parts are well documented to fail prematurely for this engine, sometimes after installation or even after just several miles of being used.[4][5] Nowadays, replacement engines are becoming more rare and harder to find. Lower mileage examples normally have high asking prices so it would be quite sensible to simply regularly maintain the one already in an individual's possession."

what a qt3.14

would swap

That explains very little as to why so many people have issues.
I've heard more then a few accounts of seemingly well running and maintained engines grenading, with no obvious reason.

Then there's the whole crank walking thing

>That explains very little as to why so many people have issues.

I pulled that from wiki user. I just want an MR2.

>It's shit because it's an interference engine (like 90% of engines since the 80s) and rubber doesn't last forever
Stop the fucking presses, this just in: every engine made in the last 40 years is unreliable garbage.

Crank walk is an issue due to an interaction between clogged oil squirter check valves and heavy clutch pressure plates on vehicles equipped with 7-bolt 4G63T engines. It doesn't affect any of the dozens of other vehicles equipped with Sirius engines, and it doesn't even affect most of the vehicles supposedly at risk.

Um what are you talking about?
Not sure where you're getting 90% from...but the 3sgte isnt.
And if you think the sloppy v8s from 40 years ago are "reliable" your delusional.
>rope main seals
>rope
>2bolt mains
>15 cunt hair clearances

Simple yes, reliable...maybe with the help of modern technology.
> add 25+ psi boost and see how reliable they are.