Anyone on Veeky Forums buy premium gas?

Anyone on Veeky Forums buy premium gas?

Yea because the price difference is negligible.

If the vehicle requires it, sure

Still, the only vehicle I deposit that "needs" it is the two-stroke snowmobile my local Red Cross uses, and even then I think I could get away just fine with regular

Yea bro I run 100 octane in my stock civic. Definitely gives it more get up and go.

yes, both my cars are turbocharged and on one the boost control valve has failed in a unrestricted boost state.

I do, the German auto jew recommends it. Price difference is insignificant.

yep. My 1981 ford f100 calls for 87 but i always fill her up with 93 octane and a bottle of octane booster for more horsepower and cleaning abilities. Been doing so for the last 15 years. Never needed a rebuild.

either the car needs it or it's pointless
why would anyone even ask if it's "worth it"

My Type R requires it.

i bought premium on accident once, felt like my car got more zip from it.

> i always fill her up with 93 octane and a bottle of octane booster for more horsepower

it almost definitely does nothing of the sort.

also, more octane isn't gonna provide more fucking cleaning

do you even know what octane fucking is

I drive a Ford Contour SVT that needs it. Even says "Premium Fuel Only" on the gas gauge. I put 93 in it, I could probably get away with 89 but fuck it as another user mentioned the price is negligible unless your car is very fuel inefficient or you are very poor.

For a normal beater though, I don't think there is any real difference. If its designed to run at 87 it will do fine, 93 isnt gonna do much for it aside from make it run "better".

The MR/2 has a variable timing button for high or low octane, though not many cars are specifically designed like that.

nah higher octane isn't gonna make anything run better unless it's designed for it

also it's MR2, without a slash

It's a meme. I've been putting the cheapest costco fuel in my mk3 supra for over a year and there's no issues at all.

My H22 demands it.
Ugh...

Lol that was supposed to be a parody of the typical idiot who buys premium gas for a car that doesnt need it. We all know those people. Next time you go to a gas station look at what button people press. I got people filling up escalades and v8 benzes with 87 and people putting 93 in their '93 shitbox.

t. Gas station attendant

I only put 93 V Power in my cars because they have high compression ratio engines and state to use premium fuel only. Also V Power has more detergents than any other road gas

that shitbox probably doesnt even have the compression that requires 93 anymore lmao

I've been putting 93 in my G35 ever since I got it. I've often wondered if I really need to, even though it says so on the inside of the fill port cover.

I drive a Lexus that says premium only, and fill with regular 87. The later model years were changed to regular instead of requiring premium, the HP was rated at 4hp less, so I guess the difference is 4hp.

Same engina as Toyo Camroid V6

I only buy premium. Why buy a sporty car if you don't treat it well?

If I had some old American V8 I'd put regular in though. Not every engine needs premium.

Car demands it, so yes.

Doesn't the altima use the same exact engine? Because mine says premium fuel recommended for maximum power, not that it's required. It even gets worse mileage on premium so I never use it

>need to fill my tires
>what does the mfg recommend
>check door jamb
>nothing
>under center armrest cover
>nothing
>glovebox door
>nothing
>check manual
>refer to the fuel filler door for tire inflation recommendations

>nissan z33
>advanced timing 1.6 miata

>Skuterdriften
fixed that for ya.

Is octane nesured differently in burgerland?, regular for me is 95 octane with premium being 100

10 cents a gallon is not negligible

Yes, Because 10.2:1

My mustang is detuned so all really I need is 858789. No advantage from 91+ as it isn't tuned for that..

Thoughts fellas??

they have a method for which they calculate the octane, might wanna look into that

95 octane in your area might not be 95 octane elsewhere

Yes because the tune I'm running is for 93 only.

13.5:1 so yes

Poorfag

Nope, it makes pretty much zero difference for cars that dont call for it.

I spend my money on 100LL instead

When putting the nozzle in the tank to refill recently. The hose hit the 93. Lost 2 gallons of gas I could've used this week.

i'm running 20.1:1
i vaporize sand and add it to my ethanol/120 rocket fuel mix.
once the VTEC kicks in, I have to switch an oxygen/iron burn.

Why not just use Hydrogen?

>octane
>130+

where the fuck do you live? 87 vs 93 is like 50 cents difference here.

yeah

because you have low compression engine??

Yes, just put $60 worth of 100oct (260 GTX) in the fuel cell and turned up the boost controller to 2 bar.

I normally run VP streetblaze but its not available at the pump.

Boosted?

N/A, factory tune is 91, and I know going lower can causing pinging in hotter weather and I'm not interested in that life.

>260 GTX
I have a Sunoco near my house, but no reason to go higher in octane.

Ah, Im at 10.5:1 CR and running s bit of boost (GTX2867R), that was doable on 91 oct when N/A

In my winter beater, yes. Pic related

I'd like to boost mine, nothing crazy but I want it to be running well all around before I start investing in something like that.

I'd also like to know enough to at least do some of my own basic tuning for it.

>pre-paying

>winter beater
>rotary
wut

Bruh that's a supercharger on a 3800

>GM
>rotary

Wat

That's than 2.5% more. I don't spend much on gas to begin with so that's really negligible.

Depends which Altima. I have an '05 G35 which holds the VQ35DE, and while some Altima's also have it, the standard models before '12 have either a KA24DE or QR25DE, depending on the year.

The funny thing is, the Altima 3.5's past '12 still use the VQ35DE even though it's a 15 year old engine and was replaced by the VQ35HR for G35's in '07 (the G35 was discontinued after '08).

It's 20 cents different in co. 91 is the highest you can get and 85 is the lowest for some reason.

>drive a diesel
>don't have to worry about fuel quality
>car would probably run on brake fluid if I wanted it to

Don't run premium gas on cars it's not recommended for. The extra additives can be harmful to the engine and fuel system

>what would happen if you run premium?

I use regular 87 octane Top Tier gasoline in my new car. Works fine.

85 is okay at high altitude for basically any car that can run on 87 at normal altitude.

>people don't know what octane rating is
>more expensive=better

The public is retarded and it pains me to know they are able to vote on issues that will effect my children.

>11.2:1 compression ratio.
>7 pounds boost.

my god, i at least hope it's direct injection.

The ECU is tuned for 91 or 93 octane on my car. I'm not going to drive around in some degraded state to save 50 cents a gallon.

Equivalent to approx 80 cents/gallon in Ontario stfu

Good thing i run 87 even in my premium shitbox with out a knock sensor (jk its not a shitbox i love it desu)

The need for 89, 91, or 93 DEPENDS ON THE ENGINE YOU HAVE DIPSHIT.

I wouldn't dare put 89 in a european engine with a turbo.

I wouldn't dare put 93 in a simple jap naturally aspirated 4 banger.

It has to do with detonation and burn time. Economy engines aren't advanced timed enough to require 93. The burn time would only end up wasting fuel in an economy engine.

Likewise, putting 89 in an advanced timed european engine with a high air intake from the turbo would GUARANTEE detonation, which would destroy the engine.

This overly simplified "you don't need premium fuel" shit tells me one simple thing : your understanding of octane ratings is severely lacking and you seriously need to stop reading magazines written by people who haven't fueled anything more than a Prius.

it's 50 cents more a gallon, but with gas being under 2 bucks a gal for regular, I don't give a fuck. plus I have a turbo.

Yep, always buy premium for my '14 Mustang GT and Harley Sportster. Cracks me up to hear old people whine about 'muh 20 cents per gallon more'. Woop-de-fucking-doo. Couple bucks more on a tank is nothing for the well-being and performance of the engine.

Maybe since they are old they spent the time to understand what compression ratio means and actually know what an octane rating is

Yes.

There is a big sticker on my gas cap that tells me it requires it as per kraut specs.

No

There is no sticker because merican truck and why would I throw money away for literally nothing?

>Maybe since they are old
No, they are like many old people and don't like spending money for anything. They always vote no on any tax increase, vote no on all schools, vote no anything that doesn't benefit them. The only community spirit these old coots have left is the desire to suck whatever free stuff they can get out of the community.

>Mfw I had a full H23 on hand
>took the H23 5spd tranny, built a F22 instead and supercharged it
>torque peak at 2.5k and holds steady till 5.2k
>H series btfo

A few things that people are leaving out. Look at any P/V diagram to better understand what the octane rating reflected to compression ratios actually does. In essence, a higher compression engine requires a higher octane rating such that when the intake valves open and A/F is introduced into the ignition chamber- as the piston moves up in its stroke reducing the overall volume, higher octane keeps the A/F from pre-igniting before the spark is introduced.

Some engines feature knock sensors which will retard the timing of the spark in conjunction with the position of the crank (thus the upstroke of a piston). There is much more involved in this system, but that is the gist of it.

Another thing to account for, which people forget, is the ignition system. High compression engines generally require cooler plugs. Cooler plugs are needed due to the additional heat created during the piston up stroke to also keep the A/F mixture from pre-igniting. Pre-ignition can also improperly wear or pit the piston head surface over time.

Econo-box engines that need nothing more than 87 octane, who fill up on 92/93 tend to not change their plugs to a hotter rating. If the owner does not use hotter plugs, any residual fuel left in the combustion chamber after ignition will wash the cylinder walls of oil or load up the valves and piston heads with carbon/oil sludge over time. Additionally, any sludge will reduce performance in the actual combustion of the A/F mixture and reduce spark.

>vote no on everything that doesnt benefit them

Vote no on everything. Fuck everybody that thinks they deserve it.

Volvo?

blended 50% 91 octance and 50% 110 octane once (with an appropriate tune). Car backfired like a motherfucker and destroyed the charge pipe.

I run 89 octane because I advanced my base timing a little bit. I've never had it ping

Premium gas is REQUIRED on my 180hp 4 cylinder econobox engine. Because would you get THIS AWESOME POWER.

High compression and good flowing head for a monstrous sum of 130 ft/lbs. I wanna kill myself everyday.

High compression engine, I buy premium. I never get why this topic seems to be controversial or get people debating. It's a pretty simple concept and a "you need it or you don't" situation.

>vote no anything that doesn't benefit them.
Wow it's just like literally everyone else

I pretty much have to get the 91 octane non-oxygenated stuff for my bike. Kinda negates the cash savings on gas but it's still fun so IDGAF

Yes I do, because my stupid ass decided it would be fun to build a high compression EJ22/EJ25 hybrid engine and toss it in a 97 Legacy.

It was fun, but also massively stupid.

I do for my racing motorcycles.....
they need it... normal cars do not...

Mine needs at least 89 or it runs like crap.

yes, but my vehicle manual specifies it (turbo) and if I'm bombing the highway i just use 87 anyway and the ECU will adjust for predetonation.
>it's the difference between 7 second and 10 second 0-60s

Yes. The higher octane makes the engine not run like dog ass

Not him but
Faggots don't pay the bill because they were too busy yucking it up over the phone so when they hear the click of the sensor saying the car is full they go "uh oh, my hummer was nearly empty and inknly wanted 2 gallons of gas in it, I'll just pretend to pay and slip away because there's no way I'm gonna be able to pay this bill off without missing my monthly rent.
T. A different gas station attendant who used to use the pay after system.

Most of the time I do, If I'm feeling like a kike I'll get 87 though. Not like it matters.

Yes, my car needs it to run at its standard power output. If I use normal fuel, it reduces power so I don't get det.

Most gas stations around here require pre-pay or card. I just use my card, set it and forget it

Corolla XRS?

I run premium in my '13 Si. I does piss me off when people just read or listen to whatever new outlets tell them without an understanding of compression ratios or what the owners manual says. Oh yeah, let me spend all this money on a BMW that requires premium but im going to save 3 bucks a tank by running regular.

>drive stock LS1
>10.5:1 comp
>89 min 93 if available

just the other day i seen some boomer in a 50s chevy that had huge DOT radials on the back and he was filling it with 87. pump didn't even offer anything more than 89

>wannabe drag car

yes because its better for my cx9

Depends on the car, but if needed, sure.

The exception is my 4th gen SHO. It doesn't require premium, but it gets it anyway.

It's a bit snappier and considering a tank of gas lasts two weeks, it's not much more of an expense.

Yes because tarbo

The price difference really doesn't matter much. I'm just happy to be paying less than 2.50 a gallon still. It's like people don't even remember how bad things were a year or two ago.

you drive an FR-S or BRZ. I know this because i do too.

I always buy 95 octane, it's like 30 cents a tank anyways