How necessary is it to have 4x4 for off road...

How necessary is it to have 4x4 for off road? I don't mind the price difference so much it's just availability that's killing me! That being said, if I opt for a 2wd version of the Tacoma TRD will I still be able to off road a bit and not get stuck?

I understand a lot of pre runner race trucks are RWD only but then again, they also make ridiculous power. So yeah, is 4x4 that much more superior to 2wd with a locking diff or is it just hype?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yMLHtApOCwc
youtube.com/watch?v=FLbVrdKGyU0.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

RWD will get you a surprising amount of places if you have some ground clearance to spare, and a locking diff will help even more.

4x4 is superior, but you can get away with a fair bit without it. when in doubt, go with a buddy, and bring a tow strap

It makes a big difference, also the 2wd trucks rarely have a rear locker so they are actually 1wd, they also don't have a low gear ratio transfer case. Just depends what you are going to do with it and how much recovery gear and what tires you have. I have a Taco Prerunner and I've been stuck in a few places where it would have been no problem if I had a 4wd.

lurking here for updates. thinking about buying a 2wd 4runner

Gotcha, so better keep looking for the 4x4. On the subject, how close is the f150/1500 in off road ability compared to a Tacoma trd?

So
Much
This.
It may get you the surprising amount of places, but unless you're driving on a hard packed gravel or dirt road, you have to drive like a complete and utter fuckwit to manage what a 4x4 would otherwise doddle up. It's not the increased wear and tear on your 2WD I care about, but the track you're ripping up that everyone else has to drive on. Need to stop and manage a low speed manuvure and turn around on a track? With drive to the front helping pull the front of your vehicle around, it's a non issue. With only drive going to rear wheels, the front acts as a chock and you go nowhere fast.
Keep the 2WDs as prerunners tearing up shifting sand dunes with a bit of speed.

get a 2wd with a locker and a winch. but 4x4 will have better resale value. or just drive until you find a 4x4.

nah, we got a RWD for courier down a muddy dirt trail, through a stream, and onto a river sandbar. if you know what you're doing, 2WD will go a lot of places

that said, i have not, and will not ever buy a vehicle that doesnt have 4x4. we need all the help we can get in alaska

ford courier*

Just don't get the Entune system. They're overpriced and have way too many issues. Aftermarket is cheaper and more reliable.

Source: a Toyota Entune tech

As somebody who doesn't own a Toyota, what is Entune and why is it bad?

I'm not a fan of Toyota, but I must admit that's a very nice looking truck. The proportions and lines are spot on. How much would something like that cost with 4WD?

Have Hilux and even with MT tires while in 2wd it can barely start moving on wet grass.

If you're considering 4x4/thinking about whether or not you'll need it, then you should get it. You'd know if you don't need it. 2wd w/ diff lock is not bad and will get you farther than you might think, but frankly does not do nearly as well as 4x4. Especially if you get stuck.

This is showcasing 1st gens, but it's the same thing. Obviously he would perform much better with more appropriate tires, but you get the point.

youtube.com/watch?v=yMLHtApOCwc

As a 1st gen owner, I can attest to the difference between 2wd w/ locker and 4x4 even without a locker (though I do have the locker as well).

IIRC, it's their infotainment system. So in other words, something I would avoid if possible. It's one shit near-unavoiable crap I will probably have to deal with if I ever buy a vehicle new enough to have one.

lol

More than you can afford pal.

The one pictured is a TRD Pro model. That's the most expensive one. Starts at $40K. I would personally go with the TRD Off-Road package, which starts at $34K I believe.

2WD gets you 90% of places off road. Especially if you're in the desert. When I worked in Moab, UT we drove a F350 all over creation and rarely needed 4WD, even when doing light rock crawling. Usually on crap roads the issue is clearance as opposed to traction.

If you live somewhere with actual weather or where you will encounter some mud then 4WD will save your bacon all the time.

Not at all
youtube.com/watch?v=FLbVrdKGyU0.

I've got the 2016 TRD Off-Road. Went with the Inferno too. Good truck. Had taco's for 9 years now.
Do they sell the TRD with only RWD?

Also, you can drive off of the road with a RWD, but if you want to go "Off-roading" then yeah you're gonna want 4x4.

Aren't those just normal roads in eastern Europe?

No.
Actual roads are more dangerous because there are people on them, and they are full of hard potholes and gravel. At least mud won't break your bumpers.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, what's the point of 4x4 if you DON'T go off-road?

I see people telling me to only get 4x4, but I'm using it as a daily driver. What's the point when RWD hauls just fine? I know gas mileage isn't really that good either way, but seeing 2-3 MPH loss just for 4x4 I'll never use seems dumb.

Just in case you need it. I have a 4x4 as my daily, I just leave it in RWD mode 99% of the time and only use 4x4 if I get stuck in snow or whatever.

Well, I just feel like that might help me only a couple times when owning the truck, when I can save thousands of dolars upfront and general gas mileage.

RWD only models are cheaper because they use the lower teir engine most of the time. Find one with the same engine and it's only a couple hundred, not thousands. And there's not a large mpg difference, especially if you don't turn on 4x4 mode often.

My truck is 2wd. For something that I will never take off road, it was pointless. A 4wd will net you better resale if you don't plan on keeping it long. I got a much better deal on my truck as opposed to the same truck in a 4x4. My FJ, on the other hand, is a 4x4 because I actually do take it off road. Taking a full size truck through trails meant for jeeps would completely ruin the exterior.

The models I'm looking at have the 5.0 Coyote V8 and one is offered with the 3.5 Ecoboost IIRC.

Dude if you're going fullsize, V8 or nothing. V6s only work in midsize trucks.

4x4 is for plebs.

You can't get 4x4 on the non mall crawler models. Dealers only put it on the chromed out leather seat shit as a value add.

Find me an SR5 access cab with 4x4. You can't.

>dealers now build trucks

>I understand a lot of pre runner race trucks are RWD only but then again, they also make ridiculous power.

It's not so much the ridiculous power as the type of racing they are doing.

See this shit? It's extremely rough on suspensions as is. But, try to do this with CV axles, and the CV axles are kill.

So, most trucks with IFS just remove the front diff altogether if they're going to be racing over fucking gigantic whoops like that.

That's why they are RWD, mainly just because a 4x4 system would immediately fucking explode into a million pieces of shattered axle and grease (and tears).

Also it's usually hard-packed desert roads, not squishy bogs.

4x4 and 4x2 have their own advantages and disadvantages. For the average road user and even a little bit of an off-road adventurer, 4x2 is plenty. For a hardcore overlander, 4x4 is pretty necessary.

In my experience 4x4 is only really a requirement if you're planning to go mud riding or through comparable terrain. Camping on the weekends or whatnot, rwd should be fine for you.

The kind of driving you need 4wd for is the kind of driving that eats your power train alive.

If you want to go mud riding or hardcore offroading, buy a cheap mud toy