MR2

Been a while since we've had a good "midship" thread.
When will Toyota come to their senses and bring the MR2 line back?

Other urls found in this thread:

chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/5790700660.html
lakeland.craigslist.org/cto/5778660778.html
youtube.com/watch?v=bHtgnZIxNHc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Never, nobody aside the niche community of enthusiasts will ever want one

Never, it's a shit meme car

Enjoy your oversteer

>snap oversteer
>a fault
wew lad

The problem is that safety regulations and the lie of car safety will prevent the mr2 from ever being as good as it was even if it comes back.

Porsche is still a thing

Also MR2s are a complete meme I agree.

>MR2s are a meme.
MR2s are not the end all be all best car, but it provides young people today to the best price to performance rear-mid engined car, and one they can actually afford. I own a 2003 zzw30 and I love it to death, but it isn't the best car in existence.

If only California and safety regulations never existed so that the MR2 could exist again, and unmolested.

Toyota dont care about making good cars anymore.

They make soccer mom and cuck mobiles now.

fuck meme cars like the MR2.

Also fuck Meme cars like the AE86. Anything popular with a fanbase is usually fucking trash anyways kek.

>Veeky Forums shitting on popular things
"I am surprised" said no one anywhere.

>I SHIT ON POPULAR THINGS BECAUSE IT MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I HAVE GOOD TASTE

>it's bad because meme
>it's bad because popular
>only edgy underground snowflake cars are good, simply because lack of exposure

Nice.

anyways glad to see midship and Toyota generals taking off again ever since I recently acquired my own meme dream

Things that are popular are usually popular for a reason. I know we're on Veeky Forums and this is Contrarian Central but please don't be a faggot

>companies trying to appeal to as many consumers as possible
>most consumers are probably wymyn
They'll never come to their senses unless there's a demand for it.

Also, if you compare cars to motorcycles (I bet men mostly buy them too, kek), motorcycles have pretty much had the same looks produced for over half a century.

The MR2 line was great but there is 0 reason for Toyota to release a fourth gen MR2. They've shifted completely away from sports cars and solely focus on economy class vehicles.

They will if there is a market for it

toyotas current market is soccer moms and hybrid cuckolds

>"The FT-1 concept is a symbol that captures elements of the emotion and energy we can expect to see in future Toyota vehicles designs. Its design is heavily influenced by Toyota's long sports car tradition that includes vehicles such as 2000GT, Celica, Supra and most recently, FT-86 (Scion F-RS)."
>Toyota doesn't even want to mention the name of their best budget performance car they treat like a red headed step-child

Fuck Toyota. At least Lexus is making semi-decent performance car . . right?

chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/5790700660.html

so... is this an ok price?

>title says "don't miss this rare beauty!"

yeah give him an offer for like $3k less

MR2s aren't popular

> crazy about mr2s

> riding 15" tires

are there common parts that are usually broken for a car this old?

I've barely got 7k in my savings. I hope I survive this winter.

How much space is there in a ZZW30 if you keep the spare tire? I can't find any good pictures of the behind-seats compartment to get an idea of how much shit I can get in. Also was AC an option or did all cars come with it?

>breaks
Run for your life.

I'm sorry user I am not knowledgeable about the subject of MR2's, I was just shitposting because I hate the tone of most Craigslist ads

I have failed you

does the offer for 3k less work though?

I like the car, but I don't have 8.5k.

>chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/5790700660.html
This, it's not a meme car unless it's publicly known, the MR2 is hardly known compared to say an AE86.

I want an mr2 as my next car, but I can't decide on which generation to buy. 1st gen is the cheapest, but also probably the most work. 2nd gen looks the best but weights the most of all 3. 3rd gen looks the worst, but performs the best.

Thanks for making me search up MR2 GTC cars.

Unnfff

>2nd gen looks the best but weights the most

Dude, they weigh less than a 180sx/Silvia. The GT-S model is like 2700 lbs
user, you're not helping with the pain of Toyota turning it's back on the MR2

I don't use it for storage advantage. It can store a duffel in a storage compartment behind the seats. It's fantastic for driving if you don't have to haul stuff around. I have an ecobox I still keep around for winters that hauls my crap.

Photo I just took of the compartment behind the seat. There is almost no extra space in the front after you put the spare tire in.

The thing is my current car weighs 2700, and I'd like to get something lighter for my next car.

Just my '91 this week. I was under the impression that the NA was slow, but I guess coming from a 95 Neon it would have to feel faster.

Not any issues with 3rd gen parts, they are used in other toyos. I haven't seen too much of an availability issue for these cars, but sometimes you might have to order them from California or something.

Get a 3rd gen. It's just about 2100 lbs

Auto, N/A, $8k...... what.

what's it really worth? I don't get this madman's pricing.

Maybe $3k... If that.

Heres mine, BEAMS swap, Megan suspension, aftermarket clutch and staggered 18s

Yeah, I was leaning towards getting a 3rd gen. Even though I don't like the fact that it's a convertible, but a 2zz swap would be pretty sweet.

At most $5k. The black BEAMS swap one is mine. 40k miles on engine, I payed 5k all together for car and swap

I think there are hard tops you can buy that are pretty easy to attach. I didn't like the idea of a convertible too, but I have found that the open air is really nice when driving.

Look up MR2 Guru, he did my swap and will build you a MR2 how you want it for $5k. Hes in NC but he builds for people all over

lakeland.craigslist.org/cto/5778660778.html
Changing engine mounts can't be that hard, right? Can a mechanicaly ignorant person do this in less than 2 hours?

Its easy. I got a floor jack, put some wood planks on it, jacked it up to the oil pan and used that to hold the motor in place while I changed the mounts. Worked like a charm

Should I trade my AE86 for an MR-S?

The ZZW30 is lighter than the AE86 stock and it's 1ZZ engine cranks out about the same horses as a blacktop 4age, give or take a few digits, newer than an aging '86. Another problem is the contents of it precats had a tendency to crumble and get sucked back into the engine if not removed and it's 1ZZ burned oil but a 2ZZ is a direct drop in.

The 86 is 30 years old and shit will break down down the line but it's easy to work on but it's the rust that will lead to its ultimate doom, I could get a welder and patch up some rust though.

I put in alot of time and money into this car and I might regret it if I sell it.

Street cred, memes and all that bullshit aside, convince me why I shouldn't trade my '86 for an MRS?

What I don't like about the MRS is the fact that it looks like a hairdresser's car but I love it's low curbweight and the 1ZZ is pretty zippy, a 2ZZ is a straight drop in.

With my 86, I could catch up to the MRS in terms of horsepower with a standalone ECU tune and cams though.

2ZZ MR-S. Its basically a Lotus Elise with a Toyota badge.

Enjoy beating 300hp+ turbo cars.

youtube.com/watch?v=bHtgnZIxNHc

holy shit. thanks man.

>talking with guy on Craigslist, he's got a cherry mr2 he is trying to sell, listing is 25 days old
>he wants it off his insurance, he'll take 800 less than the asking price of 2600
>we emailed back and forth a bit, told him I'd originally planned to buy something at 1200, one more check and I'd buy his car though
>he agreed and I told him he doesn't have to stop selling on my account
>check today and listing has expired, it hasn't been relisted
FUCK

do the Craigslist emails work after the listing expires? What are the chances it just got sold?

He said he was having trouble moving out to begin with, my heart hurts

That Spirits 2ZZ MRS is sweet. Tsuchiya can't stop raving about how fast they are when he tests the 2ZZ swapped ones, they must be super fun.

My plan may or may not be to sell my 86 and import a low mileage MR-S as a clean slate for me to enjoy but I put a ton of money and work into my '86 and something tells me I'll regret it if I were to sell it.

Do a follow up RE: Cherry MR2 ad and see if he replies.

Right but I replied to the weird looking email that Craigslist uses to forward mail to his regular account.

The weird Craigslist email still works if the post expired?

Where the hell can I find an AW11 in Australia, literally nothing compared to Americans since we have fuck all on craigslist and it's all second gens and third gens in Australia.

I wonder what it could do with a supercharger.

No idea.

But post a "RE:" ad and put a ton of tags like "MR2", "Supra", "RX7", "Dragon dildos", ect and the next time the owner browses CL, he'll find your ad and reply.

For people who don't like the style of the 3rd gen, go have a look at one in person. A guy a street up from me sold his 1st gen MR2 a few months ago, presumably missed the fun of it and bought a 3rd gen last week; going past it everyday, the look has actually grown on me. Maybe it's just down to perspective or angle of photos, but the front end doesn't look nearly as ugly in-person as it does in images, personally.

What kind of bread you running there m8

Would it make a difference at all to have the engine on the jack for a few days up to a week?

My engine mounts are rusty so I want to sand down the rust, paint them, and then install new mounts by filling polyurethane over the old ones.

Just buy new ones

It's fucking ugly. They look better with the celica headlight conversion. A hardtop helps immensely with the looks department too.

>less than 20 bucks each

Well all right

>always thought t-tops slide backwards
>you have to manually remove them every time
Well, that's underwhelming.

What are these mythical safety regs everyone always spouts but never quotes

Any pics of the conversion?

I actually asked them a while ago.

They have no plans, as of yet, to do so.

>Been wanting a MR2 (1st or 3rd gen)
>looked through bay area craigslist
Why are 1st gen MR2s so expensive comparatively?
A lot of them are asking more than 2nd gens and up there with some 3rd gen.

I agree. I've raced a few and they look much better in motion.