Electric Power Steering

why? it has the worst feedback ever. it sucks to drive

cheaper and lighter

more MPGs
no, seriously, that's the only reason it exists

thanks, I recently drove a car with it and it was the worst driving experience I've had. what would the benefit be? 1-2 mpg?

electric steering pumps can adjust on the fly. sport modes tightens up the steering, better response.

yup
CAFE standards are a pox

except it just adds weight with no additional feedback, it's basically the same as those force feedback steering wheel game controllers

How does it add weight?

you still get no road feel through the steering, it feels like driving in some game

>being against parasitic loss because of muh feels

>but guise muh mpg!
why are you here?

Where did I say anything about MPG? I'm saying that the engine isn't burdened by the power steering, which can be significant in some cars, and it can be just as much used for power as for MPG, cockslurping tripfag.

While most electric power steering systems have very little road feel right now, it is slowly improving as automakers are coming out with 2nd and 3rd generation systems.

Early hydraulic power steering systems were very numb, as well. If you've ever driven something from the 60's or 70's with power steering, you know what I mean. But in time, the systems improved, allowing more feedback, and now everyone loves it.

Personally, I think manual steering is the way to go, but no automaker agrees with me.

i haven't tried any higher end models, so I can't say for certain they're not improving. i hope so though, seems like most companies might pick it up for their econoboxes

> electric steering
> electric throttle
> computer controlled traction control and abs
What could possibly go wrong!

this, this and this EPS might be more efficient, but it will never provide the same feedback (car wheels to road feel) as a Hydraulic/Manual rack.

Electric motors produce an awful lot of torque, and from 0 rpm. Hydraulic fluid, on the other hand, can be compressed and squished around. When even a pebble gets in the way of the sidewall, a hydraulic system is more likely to transfer the twitch into the steering rack, up the steering shaft, and into the steering wheel. The greater and more consistent torque of an EPS, on the other hand, is more likely to fight that twitch and mask the pebble.
EPAS 'cleans' out anything above 15Hz. The 'acceptable' range for feedback is apparently 11-15Hz. An HPAS system would feed back as much as double that, possibly that intuitive nth degree of 'feel' we all harp on about. To put this into context inputs at the wheel end are typically 0.5Hz, 1.0Hz for a high-speed correction.

Spoken like someone who's never tried to drive a car without power steering.

> Tripfag
Thread saged and hidden.

Manufacturers roll out the technology for self-driving cars a piece at a time. Self-driving cars obviously need to have a drive by wire ability. So this is an excellent way to test and evolve the various drive/throttle/brake by wire systems (while having customers pay for them).

What would be great is in the future, all freeways near cities would be equipped with transponders broadcasting to all cars "Max speed limit is 60MPH" and the car computers would obey. There are advantages to throttle by wire systems and not just for police aiming their throttle stick at your car to command it to slow down prior to pulling you over. Blue Lives Matter.

60 is slow for a self driving car, the computers could probably safely handle 70 or higher easily.

Also:
>Police patrolling a self driving highway.
I'm betting you're one of those twits that think the police are going to bust down your door and confiscate your computer for watching anime.

>Personally, I think manual steering is the way to go, but no automaker agrees with me.
ALFA
L
F
A

yeah that extra 1lbft is totally worth losing steering feel for

Space might be an issue as well.
Camaro ZL1's have EPS while the others have HPS.