Manual

Is it possible to teach yourself how to drive a manual? I literally don't know anyone who can show me and I want to be able to drive 90s weab-machines.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/waeOibnmuJk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yes but it'll be trickier and probably take longer

play racing sims with manual if u can.

It's easy.

Step 1. Know your pattern
Step 2. Don't forget the god damned clutch
Step 3. Don't be afraid of the gas when shifting into first
Step 4. Clutch, shift, gas
Step 5. When not going hectic, keep in mind that brakes are cheaper than transmission when approaching lights

I literally taught myself when i bought my car and drove it home, its not that hard other than stalling it which after 4 times you'll never do it again

i taught myself

basically just learn the bite point by getting the car moving without any throttle

then you just try adding throttle and make it faster and smoother

upshifting once you're moving is easy
downshifting is a little harder but not that bad

No, it'll be easier and faster.
Understand what a clutch it doing and driving manual just works.
When people teach it they just say
>roll off the clutch and onto the gas
Which is stupid

The best tip I can tell you is to look up animations of how a clutch works where you can actually see the lever pushing the clutch plate away and the fingers moving and everything. That way you actually know what's happening when you push the clutch down. That made it far easier for me to find the bite point and how wide it was, and how I needed to manipulate the clutch to make it to what I wanted.

>Step 4. Clutch, shift, gas
Dom would be disappointed

>brakes are cheaper than transmission
Just engine brake already. It's not going to break anything.

The thing where people are saying to practice getting into 1st without using any throttle have it spot on.

But I'll explain what the transmission does.

They're something called synchromesh. Know how you CAN'T go into Reverse without stopping? That's because it's not synchromesh. Remember in those B&W movies where people suddenly stopped in their century old cars and got out and got mad? That's because their 1st gear wasn't synchromesh, so if they were slow enough that they HAD TO get back into 1st, they were screwed and had to stop.

Synchromesh is where the gears are always engaged, but the shafts are not. There's synchronizers that bring the shaft and gears into speed with each other, then they lock with teeth. So, that's catching the wheels and internals up with the internals and the clutch.

Now the wheels and all of the transmission are caught up. Now it's YOUR job, with the gas and clutch pedal, to synchronize the engine and the rest of the driveline.

Do you have a basic idea of lower gear gives you better acceleration, but you gotta upshift to get to some sorta speed?

Yes it's not hard at all
Just watch a few techinque/instructional videos before you do and as long as you're not retarded it's easy, and seriously do it barefoot the first time you do, much better pedal control

Best tip - first thing you do, put it in first, let off the clutch verrrrryyy slowly, there will be a point the car will grab and start rolling forward, that's your bite point

Next time with that point in mind, give it a bit of gas, if you stall give it a bit more gas

My first time driving manual was when I went to buy my first car- a 90s weeb machine, wasn't even expecting to drive it, didn't have a license

Dude tosses me the keys and says "don't break it"

Did the no gas start, was golden on the rest of the test drive through downtown Denver, really not that hard if you know the technique, translating it into movement is just a matter of adjusting to what the car likes

I didn't even think about that with no synchros. The trucks don't have synchros, but the low gears are so low that you can always pop it into a gear from N even going 2mph.

But if the car has a longer 1st gear and you end up in N with at a speed lower than idle in 1st gear, you just gotta stop.

>step 4. Clutch, neutral, clutch, shift, gas.
>2017
> not double clutching like you should

>not floating the gears
Git gud

>Baiting this hard

The clutch is what connects the engine to the wheels. If the wheels are stopped but the engine is moving (i.e. on), you can't connect them (meaning you have to have the clutch pedal pressed down). pretty simple once you understand what the clutch actually does, as others have said

I literally learned on my grandpa's racing sim.

However he's a typical grandpa who, instead of model trains, builds flight simulators and race ones. He has these insanely accurate hydraulic pedals so they feel like real ones.

But honestly it isn't too hard to learn. YouTube has taught me everything.

Yeah I did it a week ago. Watch youtube vids. It should take you a week to git gud.

If your place has driving instructors just fork out a bit of money so they can go through the basics with you

I was taught by my dad who didnt explain it well, then one lesson the guy explained biting points and there you go, i was mildly adequate at manual

i didnt do that when i taught people

no him, but i did that when my clutch pedal died

still double clutched those downshifts though
helped a lot to get it into gear

Matt Farah actually put up a video on the basics of driving today. I don't mean to shill, but it's relevant.

youtu.be/waeOibnmuJk

Assuming you already know why you'd need to shift, why you'd need to be in a certain gear in a certain situation, etc:

The biggest thing for me that gave me an "epiphany" in learning stick was this: right when you start learning, push the clutch in, put the car in first and gradually let off. Don't touch the gas. Keep letting off the clutch until you feel the car start to move or shake. That's the grab point. That's right where you should start adding gas. Then keep adding gas and letting the clutch off until you're fully in first.

This is provided you have a car with a synchromesh, but basically any car you'll be learning manual on will have one. Only really old ones don't.

Getting started in first is the hardest part. Other shifts are easy.

Of course this advice is meaningless if you don't know what a clutch is for, why you'd need a transmission, etc. It really helps to understand what's actually happening when you shift. If you don't get that, say so and I can explain those too.

Yes. It's not too hard to get the basics. I did it myself.

Just watch some youtube tutorials or some shit

>Is it possible to teach yourself how to drive a manual
Yes.

Watch a video or something first and just practice. Gearing, shift patterns, and bite point are little different in each model vehicle but once you've got the movements down you'll adapt quick.

Think of it like riding a bike.

It's impossible to "teach yourself" since you have already been exposed to the concept behind using a manual transmition and it's not that complicated to figure out on your own from there.

How I learned how to drive a stick

>dad has a manual tiberon
>ask to drive it one day, says ok
>"press clutch down, put in gear, let clutch up" are his instructions
>lets me go alone, he goes back to mowing lawn
>do as he says, stall
>try different variations of letting the clutch up, stall stall stall stall stall
>finally get it to go, drive about a mile down a road and back
>go to put car in park
>....its is in park....
>get out, smoke coming from under car, stinks to holy hell

thats what dad gets for the ol' "figure it out yourself" technique

how I learned to operate a motorcycle:
>decide one day to buy a bike
>find one, cant test ride it because i dunno how
>guy seems decent, bike runs ok, he rides it around, nothing seems super bad
>its a 1976 (74 maybe?) cb360 so its nothing that looks great, paid like 600 or maybe 8, was like a decade ago
>guy delivers it on trailer to my house.
>leave it in the street
>go in to computer, literally google how to work a motorcycle
>read it, try it out
>buzz around town

if so many people can do it, you know its gotta be damn near retard-easy

wow that is so fucking over-complicating things

>how you CAN'T go into Reverse without stopping?

lol, yes you can. you even evasive maneuvers bro?

my dad showed me twice, then left me to my own devices. forced me to use it as my daily
biggest part to me learning was practicing in reverse before using forward gears. since reverse had a larger ratio than first gear

took me ~1 week to not stall at lights.
took a few more days to not ride the clutch from lights.
6 months total to get comfortable and not need to focus on shifting.

its easy until you fuck up at a light, then the rest of the drive becomes a struggle

Lift the clutch until the revs start to drop and the car pulls forward, now add a little acceleration

Congratulations you can drive manua

There was a vid posted just today. I watched it for toys on how to teach my niece.
Too bad my YouTube app doesn't have history

>tfw stalling at a light with people behind you

been driving automatic for 9 years
had to change my x-trail to something cheaper
bought a lada niva
taught myself in like 4 weeks
then synchronisers died
re-taught myself to do tricks with double clutching
everything is fine now

>mfw
It helps to not give a shit about other people.

>be burger

All of this

It's not our fault that fucking boomers were to fucking lazy to drive stick and that there none of them left I our country.

I tried driving manual for the first time and it was terrible.
It was almost impossible to shift gears whithout lots of grinding, and it kept popping out back into neutral.
It would also make a high pitched squeeling noise and stop moving whenever I went over 25mph.

The hell is double clutching

it's where you let off the clutch in neutral between gears when you're shifting

Literally this board was the worst thing to happen to me when I was learning stick.

Stop reading now. You're just going to over think things, start panicking, and freeze up. It's not nearly as complicated as these autists make it out to be.

There are literally 2 words you need to remember. Forget everything you've read on this thread except for these two words.

>Bite point.
>Bite. Point.
>BITE POINT

you got that?

>B I T E P O I N T.

Now go out and wrangle that stick, kiddo!

What the fuck? Did you use the clutch?

Look here Mr.Lizard fucker, just because you drive trucks too doesnt mean its better on an econo box

>Bite point
and we're the retards.... Right.

This worked for me because i'm a scifag but might not work for a lot of people. Honestly, knowing what rev matching was is the most help you'll get in manual driving.

Then knowing each vehicle's specific biting point and hill starts would be the only hurdle to daily-ing vehicles. I still stall here and there when eating my diet-coke soaked burgers and forgetting the clutch.

You can also put it in first gear without the need of the clutch if you know how to maintain / rev it in neutral well enough.

doesn't engine braking waste gas?

Just this

How is this bait in the least bit, you fucking dunce?

If you're driving a car built before Reagan took office, yes. Otherwise even carbureted cars figured out that when coasting via momentum you can keep the engine turning smoothly without much gas yielding lower fuel consumption.

You autistic cuck if you don't know what a bite point is you better run along and catch your bus

Yes I did. But then again my fiesta st has the lightest, most forgiving clutch I've ever used.

>Mfw Yaris shuts off the injectors when off the throttle and above 1krpm

Hoons all week, still 30+mpg