Can I trust these?

I need to do an oil change, and I've had bad experiences with jiffy lube and such other $20 oil change places. I know how to do it myself, I just need a way to get under a 3500 lbs 2005 Honda Accord without crushing my skull. Has anyone used these RhinoGear ramps and can vouch for them?

Other urls found in this thread:

bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467120
youtube.com/watch?v=_VMktceKvQI
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15886392/
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15803474/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Suggestion:

Buy some lumber from Blows or Home Despot and turn it into stepped version.

It being stepped works better, and the wood is CERTAINLY strong enough.

I use them for my suburban. Don't be a pussy.

bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467120

I mean, like, it's really a thing.

I just changed my oil under some a few hours ago. They are really convenient for oil changes and jobs that don't involve taking a wheel off.

I used them on my civic and sister's Mazda 3.

They're great. Plus you can't drive off of them by accident because they catch and scoot forward.

Awful idea.

mine are 6 feet long so i can drive pretty much any lowered car on it.

>unqualified dismissal

Good job!

It's a great idea.

>not home deport
Are you even trying?

Yeah they're fine, but depending on where your drain plug is it may not drain all of the oil.

Don't pretend like you had a funny one for Lowes.

Nigger just go to harbor freight
> buy four safety stands
> use hand jack that came with the car
Slower than a hydraulic floor jack but it'll get the job done in less than an hour possibly

>> buy four safety stands
Wut? You lift all four corners for an oil change?

You're buying four because you got them at harbor freight
>here lies user. He was working on shitbox when his $10 jack stands warped and failed.

To do an oil change with ramps don't you have to put all 4 wheels on them?

I don't see how harbor freight jack stands could fail, you're only putting like 800lbs max on each of them unless you drive a truck and and they're made out of stamped 3/16" steel just like the rest of them. Even shitty stamped 3/16" steel is going to be strong enough to hold 800lbs no problem

Just do the apartmentfag special.
>drive one tire up on the curb
>chock the rear wheel and set the parking brake
Done

Used them a week ago for my 2,650 lb car.

Was breddy gud, even with one tire a bit off center (hungover)

Just go easy when you come down.

Just use some 2x4s.

DIY...good for you. Just be extra careful. Never trust any one soln 100%. It is your life after all. Use the ramps as others have suggested but for good measure place jackstands at the jack support points on the raised end of your car in case the ramps bearing the weight fail. Also, keep your time under the car to a minimum. Do not dawdle or daydream. Get the work done and get out.

I use the same exact ones for my car, and heavier family vehicles 5000+ LBS.

Works great for oil and transmission fluid changes.

Don't trust it to support the car, use jack stands if you're doing serious work.

ALWAYS use wheel chocks or blocks of wood to prevent the vehicle from rolling.

No... The oil pan is in the front of the car, as is the filter.

If I must explain why that's dumb:

1. Advising autists to build things
2. The cost of lumber required to build a proper set of ramps would be fairly significant
3. If you intend to stack planks to the same height as a set of rhino ramps then your going to have a ton of planks laying around.
4. the wooden ramps can't be stacked to make them smaller
5. The wooden ramps shouldn't be left in the rain.
6. You can drive off the end of the wooden

That sum it up for you y'a new trip scumbag?

>hakuna
>new trip
It's been a long fucking summer.

Get 4 jack stands from harbor freight. You should rotate your tires at the same time. Make sure you check your air filter as well.

Been posting on Veeky Forums for years and I've never seen em.

Sure you have.

Lumber is stronger than rhino ramps. You can move houses with wood you can't do that with plastic.

OP the rhino ramps are good for only so many uses, get yourself either stepped lumber or a paid of steel ones. Jack and jackstands also cheap.

> having your engine slightly tilted to one side when draining oil
Ishiggy, also you might as well pick up four.
It's just steel, and they will hold up fine considering you have four for a small car.

This, just get it all done in two hours bro.

i put a 5000lb truck, where the engine alone weighs about 1100 on a set of these exact ones.

IF they can hold up a ford with a 7.3 diesel, i dont know what will, or be a faggot and get the solid steel ones that are rated for 10 tons, used em on 18 wheelers before, shits are rad.

When done, you move one wood ramp to the wall. Stack the other ramp upside down on it. That makes a nice sturdy rectangle. You could even sit on it. It certainly is stable enough to put things on top of it.

If using jack stands, you can put wooden blocks at the side rails as back up for the stands. Their massive sturdiness is good reassurance for skittish people afraid of a car falling down.

>tfw they didn't catch for me
>tfw cracked sideskirts

You COULD always use the scissor jack supplied with the vehicle and pick up some jack stands. Jack stands are dirt cheap and reliable.

Jack stands do collapse from time to time. One popular automotive forum site had a moderator partially crushed due to failure. What saved his life was his backup placed under the axle. Thus the falling car couldn't totally fall all the way down.

>partially crushed

Sure, someone can be partially crushed because the car comes down but is stopped by another object in the way. That's why people put jacks, tire rims, or wooden blocks under the car in case of jack stand failure.

In that case, part of his skull in the jaw area was crushed and some teeth were lost. Of course he had a broken nose. He had some ribs and shoulder too. Importantly, his braincase was not crushed or cracked.

He made the comment that after recovery he would continue working on cars, but now he would get the best jack stands money could buy and be extra strong such as those 20ton ones. And he would use more and bigger back ups in case of jack stand failure.

youtube.com/watch?v=_VMktceKvQI

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15886392/

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15803474/

>video

That's not how you use jacks.

that stand wouldn't have snapped if the ground was solid and even. this is why you put a board under it if you have to lift your car in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.
I never had a jack fail, even when I overloaded them.

Also sideways movement from lowering the hydraulic jack. Really bad combination.

I made my own side skirts out of aluminum mobile home siding. All you gotta do is just bend it back into shape if they are dropped on and its good as new. Doesn't look bad and cheap as shit.

The only arguments on that list that are remotely valid are 1. and 5.

Really you wanna get your front end on jack stands so you can check your front suspension. The old grab the wheel and shake thing. Can't really do that on ramps. I use ramps when I do clutch or something like that where I'm gonna be moving a lot of weight around under the car. Make sure you block your rear wheels if your only jacking up the front end. I normally put all 4 corners on jack stands just so I can check the rear suspension as well.

>This is what happens if you dont chock the wheels when jacking up a car, here i was jacking up the back of this old 406 but the front wheels were not chocked, the handbrake was on but couldnt do its job as the back of the car was in the air, the car rolled back and fell off the jack.

>I expected the handbrake to work in the air and for soil to not move
Fucking hell, his head should have been under the car so the world could be a better place.

Shittiest Jenga set ever

it's pointless to argue with eurocucks, they essentially only use garbage they find lying around their shitty backyards, hence why so many people here recommend it.
yurop was a mistake.

can't wait till that wood turns into a soggy mess from yurop rain/mis and crushes you while changing your oil, faggots.

> having your engine slightly tilted to one side when draining oil

I honestly wouldn't be that OCD about it.

In response to OP, I've had mixed luck with these things. I've had happen to me, thankfully with no/minimal damage. Switched to jack stands and haven't looked back. With a hydraulic low profile jack (oh so worth the money) for many modern cars, there is a front jack point on the subframe so you can lift the whole front end with one easy motion, then set your jack stands on the pinch weld jack points and you're all set. i'll typically use something as a backup catch to prevent me from getting crushed.

Regardless, massive wooden monoliths as backups give a lot of psychological comfort in resisting fear of the car falling down.

Wtf does an accord weigh 400 pounds more than my fox body mustang....

>have garage
>install professional car lift
>rent time on it to DIY mechanics
>???
>profit

The amount of paperwork they would have to sign would cost all the money in copy paper that you would make. Not to mention the additional (albeit literally unnoticeable) wear.

Are you saying that in a wow how does a mid sized sedan weight slightly more than my old coupe kind of way, or the wtf I hate pigfat now way

>jacking car on mud

dude wtf if theyre so old you cant see the brand name or sticker anymore its time to replace then