/sthg/ - Sonic The Hedgehog General

Welcome to Sonic the Hedgehog General. Let's talk about Sonic games, old and new, and the entire franchise including animation and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more!

/sthg/ #604 - Gone Fishing Edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsNews/DevelopmentsRecent and Upcoming Releases

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ibKf66tVoFw
rafaknight-rk.tumblr.com/post/142911252275/hmmi-found-an-old-thing-what-could-be-that
manyakisart.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

ribbit

Wouldn't adding more humans instead give you the same results? Besides, "fapbait" isn't detrimental to any game as long as you're able to ignore it.

If I had a nickel every time one of you says SEGA's decisions are black or white, I'd be richer than Richie Rich.

In this case it should be black-and-white: either add new everything or don't add anything. This is for the reason I gave, which is that Sonic and the other animals would eventually become less and less special as the animal cast was crowded out while Eggman became more and more special (and more stagnant and boring) by comparison. This conversation chain is in response to people who replace humans with animals and the statement that doing so should appeal to classicfags, which is false and logically suspect.

why did sega have a random fascination to give sonic waifu bait after 06 til black knight anyway?

I like Sonic games!

Because Japan likes cute waifus. Probably literally the only reason.

Alright I had enough of you little shit

BLAST BURN

Be honest: what (besides Mania obviously) DOES appeal to classicfags, anyways? All I've ever heard of those self-proclaimed knights of the animal mascot 2D platformer is vicious pleading to destroy pretty much everything redeeming about 3D Sonic besides the ability to run and jump.

A Mario Universe comic that gave the sub-series their own adventures would be great if handled right.

>Wario Land and Warioware
>Donkey Kong Country
>Yoshi

And then there's all the times Mario and Sonic have crossed over for the Olympic games.

K.

>All I've ever heard of those self-proclaimed knights of the animal mascot 2D platformer is vicious pleading to destroy pretty much everything redeeming about 3D Sonic besides the ability to run and jump.
What redeeming aspects are there

>DK Universe
Now I want Cranky to tear apart 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog in an Archie Comic

What about a Kirby comic? Ian's a huge continuityfag, so Kirby would basically be nirvana for him, since it's got the most DEEPEST LORE of any Nintendo franchise not named Pokemon

The stereotypical classicfag wants the games to be exactly like the 2D games while hypocritically ignoring that the 2D games innovated with every installment. But said classicfags would oppose the existence of new characters period, especially a hedgehog princess brought in as a love interest, not just new humans.

The world of WarioWare is so surreal when you realize it must take place on the same planet as the Mushroom Kingdom.

After Mania I think we should get a hand drawn game like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=ibKf66tVoFw

Get Tyson to do the art and release a smooth game like this and maybe make it a paper sonic game? And then we can go back to pixels if everyone agrees. I'd rather we not do a mega man 9 and 10 with mania and mania 2 right after each other to avoid people getting sick of pixels.

But mostly I want to see a tyson arted game like the new wonder boy remake.

>>Yoshi
Don't get me wrong, I like Yoshi and would love a comic starring him, but can he even handle a comic without Babies being the focus? I kind of disliked the baby characters besides the Baby Bros. themselves.

>The ability to control the camera so you can see more than half a screen in front of you
>More than four directions for you to explore levels in
>Music that isn't limited to (or emulating) 32-bit sound chips
>Larger array of special abilities and control schemes as opposed to three/four buttons

That would've been great, but wouldn't it make a lot more sense for Cranky to tear apart whatever is considered bad in the Mario series and the related ones?

I already storytimed Mega Drive on /v/ so I don't feel like doing it again, but if no one else will I might.

3D movement in general and an expanded control scheme are big improvements to the Sonic formula, regardless of how well they've been implemented. Higher fidelity graphics have given us some gorgeous landscapes to romp around in for the boost trilogy, and CD-quality audio has given unlimited possibilities when it comes to great music. Incorporation of parkour elements can greatly improve the classic mentality of continually-flowing movement across obstacle courses.

Absolutely the 3D games have been flawed in their execution, even the good ones, but that doesn't mean they haven't added anything that can't be improved upon in future installments.

Focus on the inherent racism of the Yoshi species

>can't be improved upon in future installments.
It's been two decades, when are they going to actually improve?

Never. They should do what HAL did with Kirby and stick to 2D and just keep working on that since HAL at least knows they won't make 3D Kirby work

The easiest thing SEGA could accomplish in improving the 3D games is firing Pontaff and changing the narrative to something a little less Fischer-Price.

The entire idea behind Cranky's character is calling out ALL modern games for their bullshit

When the franchise isn't hampered by needing to be a cash cow to bail its owners out from self-induced financial retardation, or helmed by an idiot who has no idea what made the games popular to begin with. Those two issues have encompassed Sonic's entire modern run save for maybe Unleashed, if even that.

>The easiest thing SEGA could accomplish in improving the 3D games is firing Pontaff and changing the narrative to something a little less Fischer-Price.
Or how about just having it be Sonic vs Eggman with no dialogue or cutscenes? Just play it really safe for a while if they want to continue going 3D. That's what Sonic needs to do: take things back to their roots, play it safe, and then gradually work it back up to things like a story and other characters. OR Stick to 2D for now with Mania and such, and try 3D again in a few years

And then it's even more surreal when they constantly cross-over into the real world to compete in the Olympics with denizens of the Sonic universe.

This, S3&K had the best story of any Sonic game and it was told without a single piece of dialogue or text box.

Hey, it's "play it safe" user! Have you hit a milestone for how many times you've uttered that phrase yet, 'cause I feel like you have and we should celebrate your mental broken record.

when the fuck will they kill Rosalina?
She ruined the Mario series

Because every modern game worth a game, even colorful "rated E for Everyone" platformers have a story these days, or they're niche titles that are lucky to sell a hundred thousand copies. Mania will be an exception, and it will be well-deserved, but unless Sonic Team follows up with solid 3D games with at least decent stories then subsequent Mania-esque games will sell progressively less until nobody cares anymore.

Listen, I know you've had a great time spewing out the same tired opinion almost every thread, but me and the rest of these actual posters were having a real, honest discussion before you showed up, so could you perhaps tone down the autism until we finish? Or just, stop entirely?

i disagree

Just link it to us

/co/ thread
/v/ thread

>The Sonic general was the last place to storytime a Sonic comic based off of the classic games
Where am I, fucking Bizarro Veeky Forums

Im still waitin for my sonic new fighting game

was story timed last thread

You know, these would sound like something a classicfag shitposter would say with the whole "back when Sonic was good, he doesn't need shitty friends"

No it wasn't. 288 was done 2 threads ago, but nobody did Mega Drive

Cubs win

Cranky would know the core gameplay is what ruined modern Sonic, not his friends

>Sports

Veeky Forums has garbage posting times

im slighty scared to ask.....
link?

Whoa. What is this from?

Rafa Knight
the lady who made the 3d renders for Archie

heres a link to her tumblr

rafaknight-rk.tumblr.com/post/142911252275/hmmi-found-an-old-thing-what-could-be-that

Damn, she has a good eye for detail. I want this fake game to be a real game, despite the nagging feeling that the touchscreen is a little useless.

Dude. Its Manyakis Tumblr.

hey on the bright side this time next year dual screens problebly wont be a thing anymore

About time.

Oh what the hell

Nah. There's plenty of storytimes up and people checked them out, no need to waste the thread images.

Stop making threads early

Go for it if ya want.

This thread was early?

>Last thread was at 749 posts when this one was made
>early

Shut the fuck up.

>2 minute wait times between posts

what the fuck is this bullshit

just noticed Amy is holding her skirt down

manyakisart.tumblr.com/
Its from the same dude that did the Clean what if the "Amazing world of Gumball was an anime" and the dirty. Mike Inel

I wished people would stop posting the comics images in over 1 MB. Its too much to wait on my throttled 17.9 kbps internet

Why wouldn't she?

why the fuck would you were a skirt if you're going on an adventure

If Taxman gets to do a Mania sequel or follow up, I hope they use high-res hand drawn sprites like in Mega Drive instead of more sprites.

Nothing against sprites, I just REALLY want to see a game in Hesses art style now.

Tails, I never thought you'd stoop that low.

the fucking robot is looking up her skirt!

I really love these shots of everyone going through the levels.
All things considered, I'd have loved for mania to be able to mix and match partners like Advance 3. That'd have been neat.

"I'm supposed to be the fastest thing alive. But I wasn't fast enough to defeat that robot."

dude....everyone has if youve ever played as Amy

"bright idea" knux

Someone need to make an edit of Cranky complaining or calling out the bullshits in the Sonic series

Wouldn't be the first pervbot Eggman made.

Does anyone else vividly hear the "piko" sound when they read it?

Well when your weapon is basically modeled like a squeaky toy hammer it's kinda hard NOT to hear it.

Lonely Zone Act 1.

So is Amy as strong as Knuckles?

>Parkour
So long as you don't sacrifice your ability to go fast and all pretense of momentum.

I love how Eruption Ruin "reuses" the graphics and mini-boss of Cascade Temple. Really makes it feel like the Hill Top of Mega Drive.

Maybe, but probably lesser than him I imagined