/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

N.E.R.V. labs edition
previous ded: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.

WebM for retards:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of Ded Earf
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena 2
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>StarMade

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named. The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>Hearthstone, found in the hearthstone general, /hsg/, not in this general.

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Warbros Spengies Server Pasta
pastebin.com/uPudaAyJ

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8s4ayOi1MgM&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=y4BGV7-1lhs
youtube.com/watch?v=Wfdd8pNqLq8
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=530693136
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=611420971
youtube.com/watch?v=UM18HdOBNjM
youtube.com/watch?v=N4cZq97orLg
ship.shapewright.com/
steamcommunity.com/games/383120/announcements/detail/723219357327299856
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

New jej?

Reminder that we /kspg/ bros are always here

Spaced out watching a FTD tourny show, sorry. Something like this?

Textures look neat, but is kinda ruined by the squares and corners. Having those textures with smoother edges and pillars and capillaries and shit would be mad though.

I imagine it like you're 2 different nanobots fighting for control of someones body.

Can't do much about the corners, without y'know, actually putting significant effort into it. Hows this?

I actually really like the idea of two nanobots killing each other for control as well, but the tron aesthetic that was meant to be placeholder until we did a kickstarter to get money to pay professional artists to do the art/ environmental models has really grown on me.

Much better, now it's giving it an organic hellscape kind of feel.

Don't get too locked in to the Tron thing. I think it looks pretty neat but you should still consider other art styles. You've worked with it for so long you might be more committed to it because it's familiar than because it's better than others.

>Don't get too locked in to the Tron thing. I think it looks pretty neat but you should still consider other art styles. You've worked with it for so long you might be more committed to it because it's familiar than because it's better than others.

The problem with unity is the lighting is ass. Its chunky and awful without litterally months of work on really nice textures and custom shaders. See besiege for the best looking unity game. Unfortunately, the other available engines are ass in different ways that would make REM impossible. What we need to do to change REM's aesthetic to something more pleasing than it is, is to halt ALL progress and work on nothing but prettying the game up. We were considering this seriously, specifically after multiplayer was added.

The three Robocraft knockoffs that have all imploded taught us otherwise.

on of the devs actually told me with a totally serious tone that we needed to work on the look of REM before anything else, a week before his entire project died because of mismanagement. We might be the longest running team of our kind to date.

We're really trying to focus on gameplay over the look of the game, while maintaining a minimalist-esc look to prevent FTD levels of uglyness.

Rendering out a quick video of me getting stomped by the AI. Its actually kind of horrifying to be totally outplayed by our own creation.

Kek
Yeah, I'd take gameplay over graphics any day. I play Algodoo and DF, so of course I would.

Does any of the AI take into account teamwork stuff, if there's more than one?

Simple, to the point graphics>Parallaxed 4k textured SIK GRAPHIX
Since the game will be PvP, maybe the idea of colour coding things wouldn't be too bad? Basically what is already present, but pushed a bit further.

Here's the video. I didn't speed it up in any way at all, its all raw footage.

youtube.com/watch?v=8s4ayOi1MgM&feature=youtu.be

>Does any of the AI take into account teamwork stuff, if there's more than one?

Not yet, but when we get custom structual physics in, somewhere around 10000 individual parts would be no problem, over the current 450-ish.

It wouldn't be a very difficult task to code in teamwork to the AI, even if its as simple as targeting a different vessel than the other team-ships. Some more work would be required to invoke wolf-pack esc work, but entirely possible. Swarm AI is also a possibility, where drones fly in formation to common points.

A multiplayer mode that I was thinking up would be similar to Armored Warfare's PVE, where you and some buds fight waves of AI to defend/assault objectives.

I can't play without DFhack. DF's default management system is moonrunes to my fragile brain.

>Yeah, I'd take gameplay over graphics any day.

This is true for all players, even if they don't know it. A good GUI with great gameplay will age incredibly well, even if the graphics are ass.

Shading the panels are an option, but I think custom decals (War thunder customization) and simple WoT style indicators over enemy vessels will suffice.

A simulation mode would remove these indicators, so something a bit more evocative will be required. Differently colored outlines, instead of white, perhaps?

In any case, yes, complex and detailed graphics at insane resolutions simply reduces the amount of players that can play the game while adding nothing to the game itself other than market appeal. Hopefully this will be in our favor.

Time for some space science!
youtube.com/watch?v=y4BGV7-1lhs

very fast ship maneuvering at incredibly hihg speed

ganbatte

don't die

Is it cannibalism to eat egg for breakfast?

It's not, unless you eat CLANGED eggs

bamp

>adding battery and mass block to a dumb bomb
Good job, you tripled the price of a rather shitty munition - at no benefit.

Serb News Bulletin:
The Zero Point Station has received a small upgrade in the shape of some shields and few solar panels.
Clang is overtaking everything and anything that dares to more.
MORE PEOPLE SHOULD PLAY ON THE SERB JUST FOLLOW THE PASTEBIN COME ON
Purple is still the best colour.

More news at never.

youtube.com/watch?v=Wfdd8pNqLq8

This is still not dead

anyone got a torrent for factorio 0.14.18? :^)

search for it :^)

small games.
or wait for igg games.
or maybe it'll get posted in rin.ru

what does .14.18 even add?
and why are leading zeros even used?
it's such a waste of everything.
Can't people just learn to take it easy?

wake up /egg/, it's morning
time to autism

Shhh, engies need to sleep after a hard night of engineering.

>Have our engineers devised a method of getting rid of minefields that isn't sending in Vietnamese children yet?
>yes
>just roll over the mines
>it will definitely work

It gets better

Worked perfectly fine.

>Purple is still the best color
Yes

daily reminder
gas the nukeen

Hello Engineers! This week’s update contains a good amount of bugfixes. We fixed numerous crashes related to parallelization and other bugs fixed this week include ships with hydrogen thrusters slowly losing altitude, gatling turrets being unable to target anything directly above them and respawn ships spawning outside world limits.
We are happy announce that we will be adding Arindel’s corner lights and corner lcds to the vanilla game. These blocks are very nice indeed and should be releasing in the next couple of weeks. Check them out now via the Steam Workshop:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=530693136
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=611420971

We also give you a small sneak-peak into our improved drone AI which is being worked on at the moment - for example, drones can now strafe, use static weaponry and ship tools and target different grids/blocks/players. For now, this behaviour can only be activated and configured using visual scripting. In the future, we plan to have all drones, cargo ships and pirates in the game using this behaviour. You will also be able to mod your own behaviours. Using the visual scripting tool, you can have drones perform different tasks and follow waypoints when needed allowing them to navigate tight spaces. These are just some of the many possibilities that scenario creators will have at their disposal, so check out the update video!

1/2

youtube.com/watch?v=UM18HdOBNjM

Fixes

- fixed issue with ship pasted into voxels not turning into station
- fixed issue with procedural asteroids not rendering correctly
- fixed issue where you are unable to pick up objects in between doors
- fixed not being able to place text panel on the tip of the armor slope
- fixed issue where you were unable to place voxels over projections
- fixed issue which caused the local area grid bound to disappear
- fixed issue where pillar could be attached to armor slope block from the side
- fixed issue with ship Grinder/Welder blocks range
- fixed issue with Hydrogen Thrusters being added to ships and making them lose altitude in gravity
- fixed issue with warping sounds with large number of ship Grinders/Welders
- fixed issue with respawn ships appearing outside of world size limits
- fixed issue with ships spawning without a physical presence in worlds
- fixed issue with wheels not behaving properly when used in the Visual Scripting tool
- fixed issue where tools continued running even when entering into the menu (Sorry but we are going implement a shortcut in the future for this :D )
- fixed issue where blocks with "+" reverting to default block when changing grid size
- fixed issues where asteroids were not present in "Asteroid" scenario or spawned too far away
- fixed issue with projections casting shadows
- fixed issue with crosshair appearing when going into spectator mode while still in the cockpit
- fixed issue with thrusters acting dead (turned off) when locked to a grid with a landing gear
- fixed issue where players could change in to a space wolf while on survival using the med bay
- fixed crash at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowInvalidOperationException
- fixed 3D export function (ctrl+alt+e shortcut)
- fixed space ball air tightness issue (no longer airtight)
- fixed issue with cargo ships not despawning

the lights thing is bretty cool but otherwise I hope they haven't ruined anything

>AI
About time. Now we just have to wait for some shitter to turn out drones at a base on klenadthu and ruin everything.

DUDE WEED

[DISTANT SIRENS]

youtube.com/watch?v=N4cZq97orLg

what game would I have the most fun with on the engineering game list if I'm bad at engineering and just want something comfy? preferably something with other elements than the engineering itself.

Factorio maybe, you engineer logistics and mow down ayys for the emperor.

>now with crowd dispersing functionality

will I enjoy space engineers if I'm a dum dum?

if you dont mind that keen sim speed fampai :^)

How many years ago did they post that high res gravity generator model?

Must be a few.

Roughly the same timeframe as the argie raid

REManon, start linking these here please.

In space, no one can hear police brutality

So space engineers is supposed to be slow?

The bigger you go the slower it goes. This is the price we have to pay.

>SHRB1PD's first cruiser
space weed farmers beware

Heh, I'll just have to put my weed in orbit. Your move officer.

>spess police atmo-to-orbit trebuchet soon

Thats what im talking about.
Even doing some retextures in the ship itself would add some.
If you take it serious, you dont really need something as complex.
Actually, the hardest part, is to put round tubes and hubs with tron graphics and avoid hurting your eyes.
Spirals will fuck up everyone up, but if you put a gif as a texture doing some sort of wave-pulse going like a flow following the blood strain, and then, if you want to put some kind of help to not crash into the walls, make them brighter as you aproach it.
That way you will keep it as simple as possible, textured and somehow keeping the artstyle
Going deeper would be redoing the meshes of all components to be more like biological parts of the cell, replace guns with protein ejectors, recolor thrusters and i think you are pretty much done.
There is not that much into it, you can copy any cave system from any game as a map example.
Even a single dungeon in daggerfall would make an awesome (and maybe too big) map.

>rotors still fucked

>implying keen will ever completely unfix anything
remember when there were ladders, in vanilla?

>subscribe to warbros mod list
>start up spengies dev
>black screen

vanilla server when

bretty sure the serb is on stable currently, no?

It's not on dev anymore.
It's on stable.

god fukken damnit

pastebin said dev

CEEEEEEED

Finally finished this bitch. 8Y, 213 power.
gen p1 0 1 does actually generate zero pulse. Wasted so much time not knowing this.

ced, i sent you a friend request

Hey, that's the level I burnt out on. I was trying a setup like that. Kept getting bogged down in small timing errors.

it's on the group, it's clearly written that it is temporarely STABLE.
Dev will be back when it doesn't kill serb, hopefully soon.

How do wheels work on serb?
racetrack when?

why shouldn't it work against dumb mines?

ded

What was the address of that site that generated ships based on string input?
shipwright-something it was, that's as far as my memory gets me.
I also remember that entering CLANG caused it to greatly stress one's computer and resulting in a particularly messy mass of ship section crammed together.

Can't remember, but it'll probably show up in a search for 'ship generator'.

Oh hey look, 7th result.
ship.shapewright.com/

>Tested with silly bullshit
>Got horsecock

i don't even know where you see horsecocks in there

I'd post an example, but I'd prefer just to get you to search for horsecocks on google

danke

Right ... underneath.

It seems that you got EXACTLY what you were asking for...

what are you? a faggot?

there are dicks fucking everywhere

the sharp turn makes no sense on a dick and the flare is way to wide
i know what they look like user
with enough dedication you can say everything is a dick. pic related

>the sharp turn makes no sense on a dick and the flare is way to wide
Welcome to horsecocks

Ooh looks like we got a horsecock expert in here

pic related, it should turn as above, not below

steamcommunity.com/games/383120/announcements/detail/723219357327299856

eggpyrion update

/egg/ - Shipwright and Horsecocks general

I think that's how this general stays not ded. It just goes off on long tangents about unrelated bullshit with the same fervor we go about engineering.

Not sure, some testan is still in order
soon if it turns out well/hilariously bad
although a great race around the blaned on a set course would be bretty cool too

This comic seems like it could be interesting if not for the artstyle. It's very chaotic.

>go down on planet
>park ship
>start building a connection to it
>rotors don't spawn head
>but they spawn a ghost head because I can't place blocks there anymore
Fuck this shit honestly, dev version was fucking more stable than stable. Except that it killed the serb.

Last time I tried the race around planet thing it didn't end well, kept running out of ram but it was before the memleak unfix.

>spiders spawn
>turrets start shooting
>turrets don't stop shooting
>spiders take no damage
>base gets shot to fug
why does keen even try?

>ffmpeg.exe exited with exit code 1. That's usually bad
>usually

>If you have no idea what went wrong, open an issue on GitGud

I'm done here, good night /egg/

o fug i think i found the problem

nevermind

>successfully exited the station
well that's something

The lack of contrast between characters and background is something I've always found kind of annoying, yes. That and the sometimes odd speech bubble layout are the two main issues I have with it, but I put up with them for the bullshit ENGINEERING stuff that happens throughout the story.
It's called Girl Genius if you didn't already know. Personally I recommend it fairly highly.