/rlg/ - Roguelike General

>DCSS 0.19 Tournament runs 4/11 to 20/11
dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.19/

Remember that anyone can captain a team!

>DCSS 0.19 Released
crawl.develz.org/wordpress/crawl-0-19-dancing-through-memory

>Nethack annual DevNull tournament is running until the end of November
nethack.devnull.net/

>IA 19.0 beta (2cc315d)
www118.zippyshare.com/v/o0zLRgk9/file.html

>Shared DCSS online account.
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on CXC).
Remember, it's not fun if you didn't splat hard!

FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Cv6tuzHUuuk
z3.invisionfree.com/UrW_forum/index.php?s=2f072137bd84fa093144610dadcef5b3&showtopic=8073
dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.19/clans/nikheizen.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>dance god lets you instantly kill anything
how is this balanced

if it was usable at any time as a point-and-click "REMOVE" button it would be OP but you have to get enough piety in a fight before you can use it

it's not like you can walk around a corner into an alich and instantly destroy it before it can do anything to you

Works well if you know how to speedrun while pretty shit if you don't a.k.a another God that takes a lot of skill to be useful besides Chei.

>dance god
huh

Whats the max damage of the dance stomp?

1/6th of current hp + 2d(2+invo/2)

so at 27 invo it'll either do 2d16 or 2d15 damage

(that's 1/6th of the victim's hp, not the player's)

Looking for a team please. Why is it so hard to find one? Name is Hanibal.

So basically putting points in invo isnt worth it?

well info does a shitload of other stuff for tummygod as well, such as increasing the duration of the paralysis effect

So the only way to heal your broken limbs in cata is to use splints right?

Or go to a hospital computer terminal with high computer skill, iirc

You need Invo 18 for a 4% grand finale

Isnt grand finale entirely piety based

No.

POUND

Behead those who insult the mummy monk.
youtube.com/watch?v=Cv6tuzHUuuk

Crawl has a strong anti-scumming philosophy? I don't get it. I see a lot of scum features in Crawl that is outright ignored everyday.

And subscribe

Abyss and Pan for one
Vampire/Mummy of Xom
etc

Abundance of consumables most especially recharge scrolls, cBlink, Shatter, Felid multiple lives, Regeneration, Deflect Missiles. Transmutations being too overpowered in general, Sif's literally unlimited mana pool at 15 or so Invo. There's a whole lot more that I forgot but I'm pretty sure there's only a few who actively voices out these very problematic features.

The philosophy is only used as an excuse by the devs to power trip while the players keep sucking their dicks. It's a bunch of meaningless garbage to trick people into thinking the game isn't being "developed" by retarded faggots and numale goons.

yes, if you want, you can go to a place harder than the final dungeon to... overprepare for the final dungeon...?

>vampire of Xom

enjoy boredom mutations and banishing

>mummy of Xom

semi workable I guess

>tfw it's basically a passive Zin recite but even stronger

Literally none of that has anything to do with scumming.

Scumming is engaging in super repetitive behavior to separate good random stuff from bad, like scumming it off the top.

The only elements in which you can do that are waiting for huge amounts of time (producing OoD monsters) and going to places harder than Zot... none of which is relevant, necessary, or even helpful to beating the game.

Man, do Centaur Warriors just instantly kill cheifags or am I just shit.

Depends on your background, but usually yeah

Cj, with just the starting book. Had a chance to get off One (1) Dazzling spray before he shot 8 arrows into my soft and silken flesh.

Scummy game features are IMPURITIES that should be purged immediately for variety of reasons which could be summed up to "it contributes to bad game design". What you're saying is included of course.

There's a solution:
z3.invisionfree.com/UrW_forum/index.php?s=2f072137bd84fa093144610dadcef5b3&showtopic=8073

Sami is going to fix it in the future releases, but this should work for now.

Player Gargoyle always uses Spell A (that is intentionally ignored by devs in charge of balance) regardless of what he's playing as since it has no drawbacks at practically no cost. This is scumming

Player Elven Wrist OP always uses Spell B (that is intentionally ignored by devs in charge of balance) regardless of exp cost because it trivializes almost the entire early game and even works decently in lategame/extended and is coincidentally in the same branch with the most powerful (but balanced) single target spell in the game. This is scumming.

MummyPro always press 5 and call himself a "looool no armor amirite" challenge race. This is scumming.

Offline tileshitter always has a backup save so he will always win. It has no visible drawbacks, very overpowered and can never be balanced. This is scumming.

It's good for invisible/high ev shit or just if you don't have cleave. Higher invo for better paralysis is great.

since your piety gain is basically 20%-max every fight whatever

The first three examples are not scumming of any kind.

Is you have wander spawns enabled, would it still be a good idea to make the shelter your home if there are no hordes around?

If*

>its scumming because its free and i dont like it
?=???????
I do agree with offline stuf tho, theres only one or two exceptions to play offline

Sure why not? Set the occasional fire to break your scent trail.

The game is really not what you would expect after reading the design philosophy doc

The idea that people usually play offline so they can savescum, rather than play offline so they don't have to deal with a brutally slow game experience, is misguided.

I don't see what the problem is there.

Note: Not defending BLOATCRIME = DOUBLEPLUSBAD in any way.

They're even getting better at deobfuscating mechanics.

Anything that encourages repetitive behavior is scumming. Habit A is practically free and overpowered anyway even if it's not free so Player Gargoyle will have a tendency to always use/do it. Anything that causes this anomalous and impure behavior should be purged and removed.

>Anything that encourages repetitive behavior is scumming.

No. That's not at all what scumming means.

wtf tho

you can move twice in the same direction, therefore we must remove movement

Just make all the keybinds switch randomly after one is pressed, then you're never doing the same thing twice

It adds a decimal, not specified what exactly obviously.

>brutally slow game experience
You gotta pick a server on the same continent as you.

My pet gave me this in the morning after sleeping
What did he mean by this

For some insane and bizarre reason, attribute bonuses are not bijective mappings from the internal, stored value to the actual value,

I fucked around with EloSnack a while back and like, having a +attribute effect with value 5 maps an in-game effect of attribute+1. 10 maps to +1, 100 maps to +3, 250 maps to +5, 255 and 256 both map to +6, 1000 maps to +11, 10000 maps to (IIRC) +21.

I assume this was an effort on Noa (or Ano)'s part to force a distribution of some sort (e.g. you don't have an equal chance of getting +1 and, say, +10), but they never forced a minimum bonus value.

tl;dr it rolled such a low effect magnitude that it ultimately gives +0.

Still too slow to be worth bothering, all for the sake of my E-peen

that is one of tyhe dumbest thinkg si 've ere hread in my inetier lrief f.

Try console.

We have two spare slots on Mummies With Aptitudes - M.W.A.
dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.19/clans/nikheizen.html

If you want to join, add the following line
# TEAMCAPTAIN nikheizen
to your 0.19 rcfile on your preferred server, then respond to this post with your ign and let me know you want to join.

Also if I missed you last thread, let me know.

Let me know if you want to join.

Not really, at least in concept. Like, not wanting an even distribution is pretty sensible for certain mechanics - 3d6 and 1d16+2 both get you a range of [3,18], but 3d6 is significantly more likely to result in a 10 or 11 roll than 1d16+2 (twice as likely, if I remember right), which has an even distribution of probabilities for all rolls.

So Noa/Ano/whoever probably didn't want an equal chance of an item rolling +1 and +INT_MAX (fun fact, pretty much all of Elona's math is done with integers, yes even the fractional stuff is actually an integer, your fucking attribute, atteibute exp, and potential are all actually just a single integer), because that would have an insane average value (basically (INT_MAX+1)/2, or around 1.05 billion) and did some math fuckery to ensure an unbalanced distribution (no idea what the actual distribution is, though.)

The actual execution of the math is bad though, of course, since it can result in a +0.

how drunk are you mein friendo

Just saw you. Added.
1 space now.

Also

Heh. Age, height, and weight have literally no mechanical effect in Elona, IIRC. (Gender, also.)

Yes I want to join.

I added you.
Should update the clan list within 4 hours.

I think I figured out how to play hand of the dead.
I went through three different soul armors.

I mean you can just pick any old ability. Hand of the Dead is only good for Terrifying though.

On that note, you can make quick bank off of recycle if you kill an enemy summoner and recruit their more-leveled demons, like say a modified level eight raicho from Ludoc.

Invite me please.

Username is Lemonizer

I HARDLY KNOW HER

Do you think DDA players would cum in their pants at a 'brand loyal' negative trait?

>ever since you were young, you were in love with XXXX brand guns. Using weapons produced by inferior manufacturers is unthinkable to you. Take a morale hit everytime you fire a weapon not produced by the manufacturer of the first gun you fire.

I'd do it with cars/engines, but the game doesn't really have Ford vs Dodge. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, there's people that get into fist fights over who has the best trucks. Could even call it Skyb enthusiast.

Cool. We're full now.

I just do it so I won't get laughed at

>They're even getting better at deobfuscating mechanics.
Some RLs are best played with minimal spoilers, I wouldn't put DCSS on that list

I haven't touched it in a couple versions tho

DDA has no brands though. Do not try to force realism in a work of fiction.

so do we have more than one team or what

>remington
>kel-tec
>antique
>etc
user, are you even trying? DDA community is full of gun nuts.

>Some RLs are best played with minimal spoilers, I wouldn't put DCSS on that list
>I haven't touched it in a couple versions tho

You used to have to look up mindelay, monster spells, monster AC, monster ev, monster HP, and dex/str weights online to find out such things.

I've joined one, but IIRC I'm the only member to visit this thread,

You can make another at any time, user.

This might be shocking in this day and age but some people don't have 100% internet connectivity, as well. I play offline because sometimes that's all I have.

So can I queue up a game before the start of the tournament, and have it count towards my score if I end it after the tournament starts?

I see no brand on cars, clothing brands, home tools in there where the bloat is concentrated. If one or two of your features have brands while the others don't, it is clearly an indication of bad game design. That's why it is better to not force realism and other unnecessary things like brands in a work of fiction.

muh bloat

No.

user, what the fuck are you talking about?

Guns are branded in DDA. Literal fucking make, make, and year. That's what the bad trait pertains to.

>Mummy of Xom
>scum feature

Guns are branded.

So how is nethack? I never played it because the idea of having to know specific spoilers has always put me off.

Very spoiler heavy. Spoilers tend to make it trivial.

Guns are branded
Other things aren't branded
Guns are branded
Guns are branded

Okay, I just covered the last 4 posts and innumerable ones to follow. You don't have to follow through with it any more.

Seems like it wouldn't matter too much because of how morale works (unless using a gun you dislike makes you more upset than murdering someone, which would be kind of funny).

Actually maybe it could work as a profession trait, on one that starts with a gun and can't use (at all) other brands.

You're not getting my point. Bias on which feature/s gets brands is a clear indication of bad game design you might as well have nothing at all.

Guns are branded. I didn't say it's good or bad. They're branded and the trait has to deal with that. The fact that other things aren't isn't relevant. Guns are, and the trait involves guns. Be dense all you want.

I was just leaving it open ended so it didn't require any special spawn gifts. I tend to think professions should determine more than they do currently.

You can stay in the temple until you have full randart gear and 10k gold

so is it actually any fun to play then? Sounds like my options are either playing unspoiled and just losing for retarded and arbitrary reasons I couldn't possibly have prepared for, or spoiling it for myself and then it's no fun anyways.

Community maybe, but the devs (or at least mugling) are hardcore against any sort of realism in their gameplay (literally one of the more argumentative issues on the github rn is whether or not the M4A1 should be allowed to fit STANAG-compatible drum magazines. Everyone sane is saying "yes", mugling says "no, because the gun loses any sort of unique properties if it can use STANAG magazines like all the other STANAG-compatible guns already in CDDA". He even bitched about how he went out of his way to make 7.62 NATO magazines hold 30rds (and thus oversized so they couldn't fit in standard magazine pouches) but then some autist went and committed a change resizing the mags to real-world fit (that is, 20 rounds)

Like, the devs are very biased in favor of "muh gameplay" when it comes to how guns work (and combat in general), but then they want "muh simulationist realism" when it comes to other shit (e.g. nutrition, gun names/variety, bullets, magazines, clipz, even ammo belts, etc.), and it leaves the balancing all over the damn place, and they think this is okay because "muh fun"

You'll die to dumb shit you didn't know or didn't prepare for.