/ORG/ - Off Road General

A thread to discuss about our off-road beasts and our adventures with it.

>Post your off-roader.
>What accessories do you have in it?
>What do you plan on adding in it?

>Where are you going next leaving the humanity behind?
>Post your past adventures.
>Post your experiences.

>Q & A

>Post anything Off Road.

I'm thinking about getting a 2016 toyota trd pro 4runner or a trail pro and upgrading the suspension to icon 7s. Is this retarded?

How much lift for my second gen taco?

Looking for moderate, excellent ride, no major alterations beyond larger tires

Do it, you'll feel like a God

Any yurobros who know if these are actually worth something offroad or if the "indestructible siberiamobile" thing is just a meme?

I can buy a 1997 dodge ram 1500 for 750usd

should i? or is it a piece of unreliable shit?

Not him but is the 4 runner TRD pro available with 7 seats?

next "mod" is to put the TuRD pro skid plate on it, then i'm putting a light bar in the little empty space under the grill.

it's gonna stay pretty stock other than that. the back has storage and a bed. it's my poor man's camper

I have second hand experience with them. If something inside them breaks, you can cannibalize that very vehicle to come up with parts to keep it functioning, and no functionality is lost from the donor components. It is literally magic.

Will I?

Sure but the auto transmissions are pretty junk. Can't really go wrong for $750

What engine?

Independent suspensions - how necessary are they?
Ford Rangers have shocks in the front and leaf springs in the back. Each operate on their own system which feels weird when hitting a pothole at 100 on the freeway but seems necessary for offroading.

Is it worth upgrading the springs in the back for an extra $2000 if i'm already spending $500 to lift kit it in the near future?

Also shoutout to the guy in cali with his 2000 ranger are you still here?

How to offroad on the beach in winter - anyone done it? any different from regular sanding?

I'd imagine you'd need winter tyres and not offroad tyres for winter beaching?

Off road tires work great in the winter

Holy shit; who's selling leaf springs for $2k?!
You can get some springs off a 4-door Explorer for way less!

Yes

Change the leafspring TO coils.
The incompatible system would need to be fixed entirely.

Where are you in Washingt/o/n?

i'm from kazakhstan.
they are mostly driven by old people and poor people nowadays.
Unreliable, gutless, open diff piece, dangerous piece of shit.
if you want a cheap offroader/used offroader go japanese.

I was planning on slapping an eaton m62 supercharger under the hood of my np pajero. Just want to squeeze a couple more horses out of the old 24v 6g72. With parasitic loss acounted for I calculated that I could make about 225-230hp at the wheels at 5-6psi and change the torque curve a bit.
Cons are: price of installation, more complicated set up=less reliable, no more 89ron, weight.
Pros: torque

you'll need that skidplate with that wheelbase holy shit

get another truck for offroading

>225-230hp at the wheels
I don't think so. At the flywheel would be a more realistic prediction, and with the Pajero's heavy duty drive train the reading at the wheels can be any from 20-30% less.
Honeslty, if you're contemplating forced induction on your V6, you may as well start with a 6G74 or 75 instead of cramming a minimal amount of boost into the smaller motor. Unless of course you can buy everything and fit it cheap, and it would make a fantastic dune basher even with just the boosted 3.0.

One day I'll work on getting less stale pictures.

I don't understand; you're converting the rear to coil-over? I guess that could run two grand, i suppose it depends on what you're going to make it do.

i was planning on doing the whole job for about $600-700.
Ripping an eaton m62 from a wreckers at about $100 and I'll do most of the work myself.

Yes and no. Winter tires are for snow. Off-road tires are for...mud and sand.

I hate my 4x4 project.

Posted on clist several times but nobody wants it.

Waht do?

snohomish county

i got the offroad trim more so that i have the extra equipment available if i need it. i'm not a hardcore wheeler by any means, but i do often find myself up on the side of a mountain when the rain/snow shows up. also, out of the 3 suspension packages available on the new tacos, the offroad has the best ride.

>driving Engineer Pass after a heavy rain

My X. Headed out to cut some firewood right now. I really need a trailer for this type of mission.

Partially. I just want to change the leafsprings out and have a syncronised back transmission and leave the independent front transmission

Just picked up a 97 Pathfinder with 193k mi for $600 yesterday. Failed CA smog due to PCV valve and evap system, as well as the MIL due to knock sensor and the resultant cyl 3 miss. Already did the PCV, knock sensor, and gas cap.

Ignition, air, and fuel tune ups are all in the works. Modded XJ winch bumper and a cheap led light bar hopefully eventually too.

Hey, a Utah bro. Nice Xterra. Those mountains look familiar, Sanpete County?

What's your project

Are ATV's welcome here?

My dad used to do a lot of offroading orienteering in baltics with an heavily modified volvo lapländer. Now he stopped and moved onto ATV's and offroading which manage to be more expensive ironically.

I've never heard of a synchronised axle, unless you mean locking or limited slip... you can get an old explorer axle and springs from a junk yard and mod the axle. It's more than a ranger will ever need.

How do you like your 3rd gen.

I am looking at a 2017 TRD off road

I have a 2016 Chevy Colorado z71 with a 2 inch level. What's the biggest tire size I can go without tire rub?
Currently looking at bfg mud terrain km2

Holy shit I typed "transmission" but I meant to say suspension. Sorry, I'm delirious from this 6-day flu and I can't hear or see.

Anyway, I meant a dependent suspension so it's easier on the bumps when on road (as opposed to off road). See: I essentially want to get rid of these leaf spring independents so that I can 1. plow my driveway in the winter and 2. have it less moveable and tippy when drifting on road. It's nice to have independent leaf springs off road but still most of my driving is done innacity

Its been a great little truck so far, no real issues except for an initial interior vibration that ive since fixed.
It keeps getting beat to hell out on the highway though. Ive already had the hood repainted once, and i had to replace the windshield on thursday. Gravel trucks are brutal man.

My only piece of advice is to drive one around a bit before you buy. Lots of people dont like the seating position, and it doesn't adjust very much

Would I be able to offroad prep a Corolla for forest service roads?

hey

what's a cheap, RELIABLE offroad vehicle that i can daily?

>are XJ's reliable?

i know they're a gud platform, but thats about it

Their 4.0L inline six is pretty much unbreakable unless you abuse it like a Catholic priest

Uhh... I'm honestly still not clear on what you want. Rangers are independent front suspension and solid rear axle across all configurations. Some people swap the front end with a solid axle like a jeep for better off- road capability. While anything is possible, I've never heard of anyone changing out the rear axle to be independent as well. I would think you'd lose a lot of capability off- road unless you went with something really extreme, which would be terrible on- road.

u wot?

That's fair enough, and should still yield a solid 30-40% increase and bring it closer what the factory 3.8 V6 achieves in other markets. Just keep in mind a standard 3.0L Paj only managed a little over 100-110hp@wheels.

damn. i never knew the loss was that much. one of the mechanics told me it was about 15-20%.
I'm gonna try to get the supercharger right before winter so I can run around with 4-5psi and no intercooler for awhile.
Then I was hoping to find 8.5:1 compression pistons that could also slightly add some displacement, and get money for a new fuel pump and injector. And then try to squeeze a bit more boost out of the old 6g72, maybe 7psi.

Just the byproduct if heavier 4x4 drivetrain. Nissan Patrols and Toyota Landcruisers experience similar losses. Hell, most 1HZ Landcruisers rated at 130hp from the factory usually see about 80-90hp at the wheels.

Honestly, I you were contemplating opening the motor up to drop the compression, at that stage I reckon you're wasting your time persisting with the 6G72. May a well find at least a G74 24 valve as a base.

the 6g74gdi would make a lot of things easier with the direct injectors, but changing the engine mounts is quite a hassle.
the 6g72 to 74/75 swap is a lot more trouble than people give credit.
i could as well find a 1uz, which I heard is a direct bolt on to the mitsu tranny, in addition to being much lighter, and slapping a 4runner/tacoma supercharger onto one is a 6hour job.

>the 6g72 to 74/75 swap is a lot more trouble than people give credit.
It really isn't. When everything literally bolts in and drive belts, hoses and couplings remain off the shelf items. I've helped convert a G75 into an NL that previously housed a tired SOHC G74. While I didn't help with the wiring, the guy who owned it had the motor started and running within the fortnight (just after hours tinkering) and the vehicle assemble ready for inspection the week after that. Hell, I helped with an MK Triton that originally had a 24V G72 ( I imagine it'd be identical to the one in your NM). We simply adapted the original heads and manifold to a G74 bottom end with a decent result without touching fueling. Standard sensors on the new block were simply used in the existing wiring loom.
>i could as well find a 1uz, which I heard is a direct bolt on to the mitsu tranny, in addition to being much lighter
That'd be awesome, but it's anything but a bolt up affair. Adapters are required for everything even if you're keeping your gearbox. Apparently it's easier to go with a Pathfinder or Terrano box, but this still required adapters. And I have my doubts as to whether the 1UZ is much lighter, if at all than a G series V6.
Honestly, slapping a charger on your current motor as is would be worth while, I just recommend you don't over capitalist.

tl,dr; the option of simply adapting a larger capacity bottom end to your existing heads and manifold would be a worthwhile upgrade before you wen look at lowering the compression of your motor.
And I forgot to ask, how are you going to adapt the M62 to the 6G72? Aftermarket manifold?

Did a bit of digging. Turns out both 6G74 and G75 block and crank weigh in under 50kg (48kg for the 3.5 and 46kg for the 3.8). Where as the source I've found has the 1UZ bare block at 52kg and the crankshaft at 25kg. Then you have to factor in ~25% more in terms of rotational assembly...
Not sure who told you 1UZs were lighter than the Mitsubishi V6, but I think they were either uninformed or lying to you...

I'm adapting an oem manifold to the supercharger, so yes it will be a custom piece.
The blower will be running from a separate belt and won't be mounted above the engine. It will be sitting on brackets on the right side of the engine.
The brackets will be made by a local blacksmith that made my skid plates, and also makes bullbars and side steps.
And an additional reflash after the installation to guarantee that the blower works as intended and without detonation.
Those are the only 3 things that I won't be doing myself.

Fair enough, sounds as though it'll be mounted in similar fashion to a Toyota SW14.
So long as the fabrication labour is cheap enough, it should be an interesting and worthwhile project.

I was given that info on russian forums where the 1uz is swapped into everything from rusty volgas to BMWs.
I was told that becauss the block is made of aluminum vs the iron 6g72. The 72 weighing around 200kg, while the uz weighs aboit 170.

i was considering the sc14 but it seems it's just too small for a 3litre engine. The m90 or a tvs would be a better choice, but those are hard to come by here, whereas the m62 can be bought from old c class mercs or xterras.

GDIs are garbage, stay away from them

Again, I think they were lying to you. The 1UZ might be alloy, but it's still not only longer and made to house 25% extra piston assemblies, but cast incredibly thick in prime stress areas. So it's a good option for big power.
Yep, if you can get the little Eaton as cheap as you think you could, it'd e a much better option for the 3L.

i just got a phone call from a guy who had an m62 bolted to a 12v 6g72 gen 2 pajero!
The only thing is the blower was modded to fit the manifold of the 12v. I've got a 24v and i'm not sure where the similarities in these engines end.

there is an swb nj and an nl in my city with 1uz. Both are members of the local mitsu club. The guy with the nl also has a turbocharger and straight side exhausts. It seems the engine fit just fine under their hood but the amount of work they put into it is only for the most devoted pajero fans.

I'm pretty damn certain that even if the lower manifold that bolts to either cylinder head is different between either 12 or 24 valve, or SOHC or DOHC, the surface that the upper manifold bolts to is identical regardless of V6 variant. Don't take that as gospel, but it'd be worth looking into if you have access to that guy's manifold.
lol, there's a kiwi guy with a 1UZ NL who has a little interaction with on one of the Aus Pajero forums. He's the guy I got a little info on the conversion from.

superchargers are for men!

do it, m8

pic very related

Anyone had experience with these things? I'm currently scratching my head on how to make this bloody thing fit on the front of my Pajero...

Climbed to the peak of a 1320m mountain in the span of 12 kilometers. Didn't skip a beat. I am absolutely in love with this thing.

The Mountain Goat

>tfw no subercharger for a fifth gen 4runner

>Warn
I was eyeing the Harbor Freight winches; available in burgerland for a fraction of the Name-brand and well-reviewed in magazines.
Anyone know if it's another case of get-what-you-pay-for?

trd literally makes complete supercharger kits for the 4runner.

Of you want it to last get setting that's rated to way higher than you actually need, but then you'll be close in price to a name brand winch that's already rated at the correct weight

not anymore they dont.. damn shame, i'd love to put one in my taco

The Warn I had off my last truck. Main reason I bought it was because of the built in compressor that's rated to 8cfm free air delivery, and still pushed 5cfm@90psi. The other advantage of the Warn is replacement parts are simply a part number order away.

Honestly though, if I didn't already have it, I would not hesitate to buy a cheap Chinese made winch these days. Although I'd probably pull the gearbox apart and re grease it.

but the ones they make are direct bolt ons to the uz, ur and 3.4l v6 engines.
or whats stopping you from just getting an eaton? basically the same thing.

I hate to ask this because I feel it may induce a storm of shitposting but.... Which new 2016 truck will be more capable off road, a stock Silverado 1500 or F150? No FX4 package, no chevy equivalent, just a stock, basic as fuck truck with 4x4. I dont give a shit about steel vs aluminum I just want to know capability and so far I have to yet to find any examples of either being drive off road stock

You'd be splitting hairs. Anyone who claims either one is better is either full of shit, or an armchair off-roader looking at angles and numbers on paper.
Appropriate tyre pattern, tyre pressure and the operator at the wheel will make the biggest difference.
I'd pick which ever one has the engine/drivetrain combination you want.

Holy Fuck what the fuck is this thing Jesus why do the Toyfags always start the generals and use the opportunity to push their hideous bullshit?

Alrighty cool. I'd toss the Tacoma TRD into the mix but dealers here in LA will sell you a Z71 1500 4x4 for $32k while an SR5 Taco is $36k so fuck that

because the gen3 taco has a completely new engine that i dont even think would take boost well

Toyota is god machine. All knees shall bow down to your superior Toytota.
WELCOME TO
OUR
R
L
D

ITS AN ALTERNATE UNIVERSE OF DELISION

Yes. Toyota marketing is like crack cocaine, you fucking bloody well know you're a deluded drug addict but as long as you're high, you're the greatest nigger in the universe

Stfu poorfag

Are you blind fucking fuck of fuckistan look at that fuckign crap no wonder it requires an entire team of marketing professionals dedicated specifically to online forums to unsolicitedly push this shit 24/7 because jesus goddington cripes have you LOOKED AT IT?

2011 Toyota HiLux SR, 120000kmish
2inch suspension lift, extra heavy duty leaf springs in rear with greasable shackles, 9000lb winch, bullbar/side rails, LED bar/spotties, UHF, 3 inch exhaust from turbo back, HKS ecu module, oil catch-can, secondary fuel filter, 31x10r15AT's (used to be 33x12.5r15) dual battery system, 12v air compressor mounted in rear footwell, multiple external 12v plugs, anderson plugs front and rear for my solar panel setup.
No more additions planned, does the job as an offroad tourer perfectly as it is, maybe a long range fuel tank later.
Got a trip up to cape york in the works for early december. Can't go past some trailbashing and pig hunting!
I've done too many trips over the years to pick any one out, I've been bush bashing since I was 10.
Anyone here have any experience with the newer 200 series cruisers? Can they be made into proper offroad tourers or are they just too soft?

I'm so proud of you. Wow, I am so impressed. That's amazing, I'm jealous.

Yeah I know it's a standard modified hilux mate, no need to be prick. Installed everything myself too

I don't mind spending $45k one time on a car that will last forever with nothing but oil changes

Do you americans have the nissan patrol in your country? Did you ever have the mighty TD42 GU Patrols? Were they ever popular? If not, then why did you deprive yourselves of such a bulletproof and modifiable platform?

Pls respond

Not for the 5th gen and nobody has software for tuning the engine if you do put a supercharger on one

well thats some toyota cuckery.
you can always reflash the ecu with a custom flash.

Ignore the Falcunt tier shitposter m8.
They didn't, and they jelly.
Absolutely. Hard to justify the Tacoma with a Z71 half ton so cheap. What's your aim out of curiosity? An offroadable work hack? I'd buy the shit out of that for $32k

here's the supercharger I'm planning on purchasing.
in the photo it's sitting in the bay of a gen 2.

i mean, i could be wrong. i admittedly dont know much about boost, but i dont imagine it would get along well with the wacky atkinson cycle thing toyota has going in the taco

i'm from kazakhstan. I'll install supercharger to any lawnmower for $50 and a meal

hell yeah, i'll finally have something that can kill those nasty ass blackberry bushes. sign me up

your all small dick compensating faggots

Stop thinking about dick and work on your grammar buddy. It's a far more profitable pursuit.

>blackberry bushes
>nasty

Kill yourself pls.

Redpill me on old (pre 70) jeeps for general desert wash / trail bullshitting. Wont be a DD so im not worried about creature comforts. I really like agricultural 4x4s.

I think I now see what you're saying. It's a custom upper manifold bolted to the factory lower. I'm willing to bet that upper will bolt successfully to your lower, regardless if you're is a 24 valve.

And drive your 230-240hp truck on 98ron fuel?
98ron is what g55 and g63 run on.
You can just flash it and get 190-200hp for much cheaper and the vehicle will still be stock and run on good old 92-95ron, and there will be zero chance of detonation.
The horsepower from the stock 6g72 should be more than enough tbqh.
Think about this before you spend a shit ton of money ruining a perfectly good truck.
If you want horsepower better spend those $700 on saving up for a g-klasse or range rover.