Do YOU trust them?

>Went to get an oil change for my 2012 Honda Civic LX this morning, which would be around $65 but I ended spending $230 for shit that I don't need regarding my "transmission" fluid and pressure. He made me feel like if I didn't fix it today my car would blow up or some shit. FUCK!!

Why are car mechanics are so shady?

I trust a piece of dat ass.

+1 brother, id watch it go to work all day

Where i live they charge you for what you want, if they do something you didn't ask for they cannot charge you for it either.

jesus christ op grow some balls and learn to tell people no

>BRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPP

"Sorry, farts are extra. Gonna have to charge ya. "

>not changing your own oil

A friend of mine was quoted $340 by Meinike just to have her front rotors turned and new pads put on

because you are a fucking sucker who went to a mechanic to have something done that takes like 5 minutes to do and takes virtually no effort.

I would rim the fuck out that ass

Welcome to Fucksville OP.
Dat ass tho...

Just say no to everything they say.

When I was a teenager, I went with my Great-Grandma to get her oil changed. Standard $29.99 procedure. They ended up trying to tell her that her spark plugs were bad and it would cost $330 to change, and also said she needed new cabin filters. which was another $80. After we got home I looked up the prices of those parts and they ripped her off big time. I told her to never go back there again. That's when I started researching about car maintenance and stuff. I'm a truck driver now and do my own maintenance. If there isn't anything on YouTube or Google, I always got my service manual.

Wow!! Mechanics are heartless user...

Upsell

Back when I was 16, I took my truck to get the tires rotated. While it was up on the lift, they said that I needed 4 new tires because my current ones were unsafe. I told him I'd "take it into consideration" but they refused to take my truck down until I bought new tires. They changed their tone when I started climbing up the lift.

>say no, just get an oil change
>I'll think about it
>go google the thing they said needs doing
>find out if you can do it yourself for cheap
>if not pucker up and lube it

Gosh user, sorry those meany mechanics hurt your feelings! Why would they try to upsell your poor grammy with services her car actually needed? It's not like they have kids to feed and don't give a fuck about you and see 30 customers just like you every single day. Those cold blooded bastards! They don't deserve your business! You sure showed them! You're one of the SMART customers.

>Went to get an oil change for my 2012 Honda Civic LX this morning, which would be around $65

Alternatives mentioned in those archived oil change threads. Sears often has online coupons which drives the price down for an oil/filter change to $50 for full synthetic valvoline. The wal-mart tire/oil service centers charge $50 here for a full synthetic oil and filter change too. In comparison, JiffyLube here charges $104 for a full synethic oil & filter change. What a rip off.

Its your own fault. Do it yourself you lazy fuck

You just gotta stop looking like a sucker if you are taking your car into lube places.
>I just came here for ______ , maybe next time
>Don't be afraid to call them on their shit
>like "31.00 for a fucking airfilter? Are those trump brand filter made of gold? You know I can get one of those at ____ for ___and it takes me a second to put it in."
>or just say thanks for letting me know I will take care of that.
Any time I take my mothers car in for service they know what's up and leave me alone.

That's not unreasonable for two hours of labor and parts + markup.

Fo real my nigga

>Any time I take my mothers car in for service they know what's up and leave me alone.
Yeah because you sound like an absolute asshole. Just change the oil yourself you fucking princess

GTFO!! Mechanics are the worst. I don't trust them at all, they out there to exploit people's ignorance.

I'd do it myself but my hoa is a bunch of dicks. I'm not an asshole about it.
>The car is a sub 2k shitbox driven to shit places
>I just want a fucking oil change not to be up sold into a bunch overpriced services

It takes about an hour for a noob to change oil. I doubt they'd notice or care. They just don't want junk cars sitting around in yards.

You can still go in and request a straight oil change. After a few visits looking at the computer's records they'll see that clearly you never buy anything so they won't waste their time. But it's also part of their job to give you recommendations, don't assume it's always a sales pitch

$65 just to get your fucking oil changed?

triggered wrenchcuck

How much do u pay?

$12

>why are mechanics so shady

the real question is why dont you know anything about your expensive piece of equipment?

I'm genuinely curious here.
If I change my own oil it comes to about $16-18 and my time.
If I take my car to a garage for an oil change I get my oil chabged, fluids re-upped, seats vacuumed, doors greased, and window cleaned but it costs $20, but I drop it off, to shopping for groceries and it's done by the time I'm out.
Is this not normal?

>Hurr I tighten drain plugs with an air wrench

if you're getting shitty bulk oil that doesn't even meet spec

yes

it's normal

The motivation of changing your own oil to save money is sort of a farce. Basically your time to get under your car and drain it, etc. and materials handling evens out with the cost of getting someone else to do it.

Now, I like saving the time to wait around at the oil change place but there's something nice about pouring oil into your own car.

that shit is a scam with the civics at least
the service manual says to just drain/fill the fluid every 30k, it's literally easier than changing the oil since there's no filter. they charge you like they hooked up a flush machine to it though, which if they did, would fuck it up anyway.

Just tell them you're broke and only have enough cash for the maintenance you want.

youtube.com/watch?v=-avpx8UTakI

I don't trust shops at all

>all shops have commercial accounts with Autozone/O'Reillys etc...
>commercial customers get discounts over DIY customers and always request even lower prices for bullshit price matches
>they always mark up the prices of the parts they buy to fix your car 175%-300% plus labor

Seriously. If you get your repairs done at Firestone, Meineke, Jiffy Lube, Tire Works or any other repair chain, I guarantee it's a 66 percent chance you just paid through the nose for Valu-crap parts. They all have national accounts with Autozone. Ask the shop manager where he gets his parts from, then confront him and watch him fidget and bluster when you confront him with this knowledge

>How much do u pay?
Locally, $29.95 is the typical price by multiple different shops here. That is the final pre-tax fee which includes all hazardous waste disposal fees. So it's not some $29 fee plus shop materials fee plus waste disposal fee that a rip-off place will pad your bill with.

You can go to sears.com and look up your closest sears auto service center. It probably has online coupon that can be applied to reduce the cost of oil/filter service if you buy their higher priced synthetic oil change.

You can go to walmart.com and use their advanced search option to click on the box for locations that have an oil/tire service center. Then you can search for the closest one to your zipcode. I've used walmart's for many years without problem. They've never stripped my oil drain plug or did the infamous "double gasket" oil filter.

After every oil change, I do discreetly park close by to inspect the car for oil level and leaks. My garage floor is clean, so I always look there for leaks too. Prudence is good.

If you have a selfie stick, you can use that with your smartphone to inspect the bottom of your car. If you never did that, you should. Both the movie mode and the high-res snapshot modes are useful inspection tools. You no longer need to jack up your car to inspect underneath. You can display the pictures or movie on your big computer monitor at home where any problems are easier to see on a big screen.

KEKKOOOOOOOOOO

Really hard finding places that sell pennzoil ULTRA full synthetic

At least walmart.com lets you send it to local walmart retail store at no shipping charge. Then pick it up there.

>Went to get an oil change
>paying other people to do basic maintenance on your car

It takes me like 30 minutes because while the oil is draining I walk off and forget about it. Lol

>doesn't know that transmission fluid needs to be changed

ALWAYS REPLACE YOUR TRANSMISSION FLUID AT FACTORY RECOMMENDED INTERVALS

You know what happens if you don't? Your transmission WILL EXPLODE. ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

STUPID FUCKIN NORMIES THINK YOU KNOW EVERYTHING AND YOU KNOW NOTHING, ALL YOU DO IS BREAK CARS, CHANGE YOUR MOTHERFUCKING TRANS FLUID.

>corrupted file or unsupported file type
IT'S A JPEG, POST IT.

hahaha you got ripped off, why did you do it yourself?

Veeky Forums Pass user since October 2016.

Grow a spine OP

>dad makes me take car in to Judaism Lube for an oil change since he has a coupon
>wait in the lobby drinking all their free coffee and shit demanding they fill up the pot again
>the "mechanic" comes into the waiting room and explaining to me that my coolant smells burnt and that I should also flush and replace all of my fluids since I'm already here
>"No thanks"
WEW THAT WAS HARD

I think that may have been the only time I took my car in to change the oil. Wasn't even my car so I didn't actually care.

you got scammed bruh you're lucky if your oil even got changed

>Veeky Forums Pass user since October 2016.
wtf? can you turn this shit off?

yes

>buying a pass just to display the text for a day

>for a day
can't you display it for as long as you use the pass?

>he pays to post on Veeky Forums

Im not sure who the sucker is here.

No, it's part of the birthday celebration

Veeky Forums Pass user since September 2012.

>not wanting to skip the annoying captcha

i remember i bought a 4chanpass like 4 years ago. so if i extended it, it would also say since X? but how even extend? send moot an email? I remember i sent him an email when i had a problem with muh Veeky Forums pass and he instantly responded.
>just realized moot doesnt even run Veeky Forums anymore
damn, i completely forgot

I find it's a 2 way street. There's mechanics who are shady and there's customers who are dick heads. I don't try to sell you shit you don't need. When I do an oil change on a customers car I don't just change the oil, I'm also going to give the car a once over. Look at everything I can that's reasonable in the time allotted. I'm not gonna try to sell you fucking trans and power steering flushes because that shit is useless. Totally fucking useless, change the fluids at the recommended intervals, that's it. I've never seen flush transmission fluid at X miles in a service manual before. Really you only make so much with oil changes, it's the other stuff you find when the cars on the lift. And if I say you need a ball joint/brakes whatever, ITS BECAUSE YOU DO! The part in question has failed, it needs to be changed. Yes we mark it up, not not fucking 300% like you think, but we gotta make money because we're a fucking business. Yes, chain shops are bad, they'll fuck you good. That's 100% true so why do people go there? Is it because you like complaining? Because it seems that way. I work for a small independent shop so I'm fairly familiar with how we operate, price parts ect... I know you can find shit cheaper online, we can too, but we can't wait days for it to arrive. We gotta fix your shit now so we gotta work with what we got. Basically what I'm trying to say is understand both sides of the story before you just say all mechanics are shady.

Unless they stock OEM oil/air filters, where else are they going to get stuff from?

And yes, if they buy the air filter from a jobber for 12 dollars, why would they sell it to you for 12 dollars, also they tack on a labour charge to install it because upsells are the name of the game

I am lucky in that I have found my old trusty handy scrappy neighborhood mechanic.

He gets the job done, he doesn't overcharge, and he doesn't upsell. The problem is that sometimes he get's overly caught up in his economical 'do just enough to fix it' mindset.

Maybe I'm stupid, but I would rather just replace the fucking part and move on with my life. Yes, it will be a few hundred more, but just replace the damn thing. This old boy will go out of his way to "get me running for at least another 5000 miles." I understand where he's coming from. He's getting the car running right for the least money possible. He drives an old truck that he has kept immaculate and running fine for decades.

If only everyone had our interests in mind like that!

But I have half a mind to shake him and say "Just fix it once and for all!"

Is that a lday mechanic because that panty line is really bothering me thinking it's a dude in lady panties.

At that price they should just be replacing the rotors.

Mfw regular oil change is $30 and synthetic is $70+

The price for a 5qt hug of oil is almost the same you pics of shit

are you me? i was just typing a similar post, but you basically covered it.

>what are labor charges

Doubt we're the same person, but if you're a mechanic/tech/whatever we want to be called nowadays then I wouldn't be surprised we feel the same about this. Especially if you work at a smaller shop. A lot of us just want to do good work, provide good service and at a reasonable price. Of course we're gonna make money doing it. Expecting us not to is fucking stupid.

>read something vaguely related to yourself
>"OMG DUDE ARE YOU ME?"
no, he's not a faggot

Ive had my oil changed by someone else twice in my life. First time I had just gotten out of reconstructive surgery on my shoulder and had a shop do it. Took in my own oil and filter and they still used theirs and charged me. To top it off, I took in some fuel additives and Marvin's mystery oil(nitrous car) and they didn't add it. When I found out I got pissed and ended up kicking the mechanic in the balls. Second time I took it to a friend who did it for me.

did you really assault someone and not get any harmful repercussions?

I have a civic and I don't really give a shit about good oil, just throw in dyno oil every 3k miles for 30 bucks at the jiffy lube. Every time those guys try to open my airbox and show me my filter and I have to tell them JUST THE OIL, DON'T CHECK ANYTHING ELSE. Then I stand there and watch them to make sure they don't pull any of that shit I saw on 20/20 scamming people and not actually changing oil.

Well, faggot, change your own oil next time. That should be around $30. btw, transmission fluid takes 10 minutes MAX to flush (excluding the time you sit on your ass waiting for it to drain), and I doubt he even flushed it. I'd check to see if it's discolored, then you can call the law on them and possibly sue them for charging you for something they didn't even do.

Do your own work OP, getting a mechanic to do you maintenance is for women and cripples, save the hard jobs like engine work and suspension for a local shop not a fucking chain that'll scam you.

>ITT WEEBOS WHO DRIVE SHIT BOXES

>change your own oil
>$30
if you buy the cheapest shit they've got and skip the filter then maybe it's $30

I buy full synthetic and it's closer to $45 they toss in the filter for free too

I changed my oil yesterday for $30 total, including a filter and synthetic blend.

If you piss them off, they'll simply overtighten your drain plug to teach you a lesson for harming their sales target bonus. I suspect a large part of those complaints about jiffylube overtightening drain plugs (and stripping the oil pan threads) is due to pissed off employees getting revenge either against the company (they were going to quit soon anyways) or against the customer.

I'd have only spent $20 if I bought the cheap shit.

>m-muh kids to feed
Get fucked, conman.

>Learn to say no
Problem fixed

You do realize it's their job to check everything, right? I used to work for Take 5 and if we didn't have good sales we would get fucked. Not to mention we have to recommend you to replace things that need to be replaced, which includes selling you air filters because shit birds like you don't maintnence your own vehicles. It's not being shady, they are just doing their jobs

i pay 30$ for the oil and filter and i DIY

Op I think you got Rolled on that.
Every corporate shop will definitely try this and most mom and pop may too if they get a sense you dont know what your doing.
Further more do some research and do it your self...... Its not that hard.

>getting jewed

wow

>being so autistic you can't type a three number captcha

Well you see anons, your exactly right in all of your assumptions. As a mechanic I can attest to the fact that our only goal is rape your wallets with our big turgid wrencher cocks, with no regards to quality of work or parts. I mean thats why we install shitty parts from O'rizzas that we mark up six gorrillion percent goy. It's not as if we have wholesale parts suppliers that sell us decent quality parts that we charge so much, its not like we care about our parts quality. And of course you don't need your tranny fluid or powersteering fluid flushed because I'm certain you carefully followed your manual's service schedule so that by the time I look at your car your fluids don't look like someone accidently put used diesel motor oil in your tranny. Also believe it or not your 10 year old plus car doesn't require repairs, seriously who actually believes cars ever break? Silly mechanics like us with years if not decades of experience have no idea what we're talking about, after all surely you are far more knowledgeable about automotive maintenance after having sat on your fat ass perusing car forums with fellow automotive intellectuals. No but seriously buy into the change your own oil meme I don't want to work on your pile of shit anyway and my service writers really just wish you people would never come back.

>Pulled engines in the driveway
>Built complete wiring harnesses from scratch for and engine swaps
>Rebuilt a fucking GM FWD automatic trans with nothing more then a book from the library in my driveway
>Girl friends shit box get's an evap code right before inspection is due
>I spend fucking days with a DIY smoke machine, swapping all sorts of evap parts
>Can't get the light t go off
>Go to the place I've been using for years for inspection and tires
>He wants 1300 to turn the light off, can't even tell me the part that is leaking
>Don't have anymore time to fuck with it tell em to do it it
>Gets the light off and puts stickers on it
>Week later evap code again
>Take it back to the shop, they wan't another 500 bucks to fix it
>Flip out and go over to pick it up
>Car now has greasy hand prints on the steering wheel and door handles
>Got home, cleaned it up and filed a charge back with my credit card company

I'm so fucking pissed. Been using this shop for fucking years and never had an issue but they never fixed anything for me before. They are like the only place around that offers road force balancing, continental tires, and full 4 wheel alignments. I don't even have time to drop the gas tank to see what the fuck they even replaced the first time around since i'm working so much fucking overtime. All I know is they replaced something above the gas tank. I don't even care if the 1300 I paid fixed the issue but the fact it didn't and they wanted to charge me again?

I used to work at a Walmart Tire Lube Express. We were fucking awful

Opie, it's okay you learned a valuable lesson. Happens to everyone. But really be a dick and say stuff like it should be cheaper first and if they say no just say your friend has a shop and you don't trust them.

I've done this after getting ripped and the guy got all shitty. I said give me my keys before I call the cops, the guys knees were shaking I think he had a warrant.

Tldr: unless they are nice first always be a dick to mechanics, salesman, anyone really but especially when money is involved.

You are full of shit. I can walk out of oreillys with 5qt synthetic with a good filter for 25.

Where do you live m8? Who are you buying from? Or are you an oem cuck?

I Charged back on a dentist that couldn't get all my wisdom teeth out. Said he could, charged me for all of it. Then tried to fuck me.

>thanks for the free 3 wisdom teeth you middle Eastern douche bag

Top of the line Penzoil full synthetic, most expensive stuff they sell, plus a Ford OEM filter, $32 on Amazon. With the Ford OEM synthetic blend, it comes out closer to $20 total.

Don't buy oil at parts stores, for whatever reason it's always the most expensive there unless they have a sale going. Just get it online or something.

>Send moot an email
>Moot
Are you stupid or something?

Did you ask how they came to the conclusion in regards to your trans? Did you ask to see the evidence?

Salesmen can spot a beta from a mile away. Work on your confidence and you'll be able to say no.

>go to dealership
>get the works (39 dollars)
>standard oil + motorcrap oil filter
>tires rotated
>get a car rinse
Not bad for something that you can get a 10 dollar debit card rebate, plus you can get coffee and a free can cooler inside as well lmao

>friend prepping for move across state lines
>takes it to quick oil change place
>does the oil change but warns her she needs a coolant flush asap or the car will die
>sticks finger in radiator to show its "gunking up"
>sounds pretty fucking shady to me mang
>take it to garage my father recommends all the time
>mechanic looks around the car for 5 minutes and doesnt find anything wrong, even with radiator
>he says those guys are fucking idiots, charges her nothing
>car did just fine across state lines

I want to like the quick oil change places but they are just basically scammers.

Mechanic here, I could give a fuck less about selling you shit. Most of the time I just want all you shitheads to leave so I can have some rest. If you are so good at it go the fuck home and do it yourself and stop asking me to look at it cause after all you are so fucking smart. I'm not starving for money so all you retards who bitch and whine about that just know most of the time its those piece of shit customer associates that want to upsell filters and flushes that I don't even get paid for doing but they get commission. The only flush you should ever do is a coolant flush since it will help get all the crap out of the water jackets that a drain and fill won't do however if you haven't had one ( like a trans flush) before its best not to do it at all cause its so rusty when you do it your fucking water pump will impeller will fucking disintegrate.
TL:DR
It is your car, I care not if it breaks, fix it yourself big man.

The mechanic my father went to was a real piece of shit. Stopped going there after he quoted me $450 for putting in wheel bearings, and I ordered them myself and did em, then I asked him how much it would cost to replace my rack and pinion, again $400 for labor alone. So I ordered the part and did it myself. Found out from my neighbor the mechanics around here refer to him as "million dollar Brian" cuz he's expensive as shit

Hey a bit off topic but how hard is it to replace a rack and pinion my car needs a new one but labor costs around me are crazy.

Honestly mine was a total bitch but mostly cuz it's a manual and to get the rack out I had to disconnect the connecting rod that went from my tranny to my gear box. Other than that it wasn't too hard. Just take breaks periodically and don't rush the job. Also you're gonna need an alignment