What if your vote's weight is directly proportional to the amount you pay in taxes per year?

What if your vote's weight is directly proportional to the amount you pay in taxes per year?

Too extreme.

If you're living off government assistance, however, you should be barred from voting.

I'm guessing that this is already how it works, meng

everyone in a region is being assisted by the governement in some way to aide their lifestyle and shelter them from the big bad world...
thats what taxes are.

We'd go back to the feudal system

Of course, but I mean like directly receiving money from the state. Welfare queens will always vote for expanded welfare

That extends to CEOs whose businesses suckle the government teat, right?

It would mean that only the wealthy have an effect in the voting. They already kind of do but it would be more upfront and even worse.

Yep, this. People living off government assistance will just vote for the biggest gibmedats that whatever party promises.

There should also be a ban on mass importing voters. We've seen this kind of stuff happen everywhere.

Only if they make taxes voluntary

Yeah nitpicking at who gets to be represented by the governing body isn't the greatest idea I think. That would be akin to the reason the revolutionary war happened in America. Maybe not the same but similar in terms of fairness.

Then again progressive tax rates/bracketed taxes aren't exactly fair in terms of representation either.

The main reason it's fucked is because taxation is theft and there's just no getting around that cos we need a governing body that can muster a military for defense against foreign powers.

Although that's not exactly how that works either.

It would mean those who are already rich would have a strong incentive to keep the poor poor.

Yeah, I'd say that's a terrible idea.
I might be in favor of something that bars both the top and bottom, though. The bottom has no incentive to vote for anything but free money, while the top wield so much influence in other ways that their single vote is practically meaningless in comparison anyway.

>The bottom has no incentive to vote for anything but free money

WRONG!!!

The bottom also has an incentive to vote for opportunity. Not everyone who's poor wants to stay poor.

Those who oppose "free money" tend to be the same people who oppose giving more opportunity to the people at the bottom (as they usually wrongly assume that there's already enough opportunity and the problem is insufficient incentive). And you don't need to be receiving free money to recognise that's it's good policy for the government to assist those who need it most when they need it most.

WRONG!!!

There are good people in the world, regardless of your inability to see it.
Your plan to deprive others of their voice based on your own flawed assumptions will not succeed.

Get rid of voting and elections altogether I say.

It's a waste of precious financial resources that could be better spent towards more fruitful endeavors, like paying off the interest on our national debt.

There seems to be a problem with your comprehension. The plan to deprive others of their voice isn't mine, it's what I'm arguing against.

Sorry, misdirected the above remark to the wrong post. I meant to say:

There seems to be a problem with your comprehension. The plan to deprive others of their voice isn't mine, it's what I'm arguing against.

I can't tell if that's an attempt at irony or not.

These

>taxation is theft
I've seen this a thousand times and in still in shock whenever someone says it unironic.
You even admit that the government needs to exist and you can still can't wrap your head around the concept of a social contract.

>There seems to be a problem with your comprehension
I was about to say the same thing.

Maybe you just want other people to stay poor.

This what drove me left. At least when the left says it wants something, "and we'll tax X to pay for it" follows. Conservatives have every bit as long a wish list but are absolutely not concerned with that second part.

Oh bullshit.
ACA comes to mind. Anyone with half a brain could tell we'd all wind up paying higher premiums to cover it. You can't just add 30 million people to the rolls magically, that's just simple math.
But is that what they told everyone?
Nope. They knew that would be politically toxic and it would never pass. And they were right, because it almost didn't pass even with all the lies.