freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NhimomTlg4Q
youtube.com/watch?v=C7307qRmlMI
dwgwgy.itch.io/shadow-of-the-cowlossus
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Frist for where's the other thread?

wew

Came back to AGDG for the first time in months; was shocked to find that the catalogue had no threads under the "AGDG" filter. I guess it was that rare moment in between the death of an old thread and the creation of a new thread?

Anyway, I know you get this a lot, but what's new? I haven't been here since about August. I know GMS2 just got announced, but did anyone here release a game or launch a failing Kickstarter? Inquiring minds would like to know.

lad

>Evil prevails when good men do not act.
Anime was a mistake.

Shaders are fun to program. A little tricky though but I don't think I'd want anything too extreme. I don't even think I need to calculate as far as specular. I like the flat diffuse. Most of the things I want might include moving vertexes and offsetting textures. I would like to eventually get something that could render 'fur'

Nothing happened.
We finally got rid of the worst shitposters (except for Gogem), so things have slown down considerably.

>release a game
>2016
>not selling your game in Early Access, taking the money and never finishing it

Anyone ?

>> AGDG Chats
>steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
>webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev
>> Engines
>GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
>Godot: godotengine.org
>Haxe: haxeflixel.com
>LÖVE: love2d.org
>UE4: unrealengine.com
>Unity: unity3d.com
Delete these

mommy bought me a book

Right after you finish a game.

>Yeah ok you managed to make a ball yel..
>oh
>Yeah ok you modify the geometry with a sine wave

Repost from last thread.

Also, just add class that lets me 'talk' to objects.

KSP uses 4 cameras most of the time (UI, close terrain, far terrain, scaled space to fake size of distant objects).

Is it any good?

Dinosaur jam begins in 1 week, after DD 11 ends.

Today I learned to blow shit up in Blender. Still need to get a feel for the parameters but I think I got the procedure down. The fact that I forgot to randomize the size of the smoke trailing from those particles that shoot out had a particularly bad effect on this one, but I'm not gonna render this shit again right now.

AI is truly the hardest thing to make.

No. That's pretty standard practice.

i dunno, i can't read

And now with an index colors filter to make it slightly more video games and less 1997 website.

So when do you guys think I should work on something other then weapons?

Make a dinosaur.

Weaponise a teapot

That's rough, buddy.

About twenty models ago.

a game made entirely of weapons

I implemented all the necessary features for my editor.
There's a load of shit I could add but not right now.
Back to killing myself by making art assets and designing levels.

youtube.com/watch?v=NhimomTlg4Q

you guys think this is looking any better? Changed BG, no more scrolling, shined out outlines of enemies and changed color of transparency

>just want to make an awesome game
>have to spend days writing camera code and other mundane shit

gamedev is hard :(

I don't get your intention behind the smoke.

Vs this

Make sure you watch this:
youtube.com/watch?v=C7307qRmlMI

gotta start somewhere.

It scrolls and looks cool. It's an effect. What's the issue?

Looks like shit in a static image that reduces readability and nothing else. How about a webm?

He's still working on it, I talk to him from time to time about it and he shows no sign of stopping. He's a bit of a perfectionist so I have no idea if he'll ever release it, if he does it'll be pretty cool.

Still? That's pretty neat. Does he have a blog or something where he documents his progress?

playtesting is hard when you made the game

I don't know how many secrets and stuff the player will find, and it's semi-open world, so I dunno where they will go first.

So is the autotiling in GMS 2 just for background tiles? Or can I use it to make in game objects with autotiled sprites as well?

Let me find them in the last thread and I'll link them

Speaking of perfectionism, I sure hope Plok dev hasn't killed himself yet.

You can use demo day for free beta testing

yeah, that's the plan but I still want to get the numbers relatively balanced, at least

Are Veeky Forums images broken for anyone else?

Broken how? Did you not buy the goldpass?

>enginedev is hard :(
I agree

Just ask your normie friends to playtest it.
They don't know that you're getting free work out of them.

Some of them are, for me.

solar system camera
>click any planet to set it as the focus
>hold right mouse button to spin the camera
>mouse wheel in to zoom in on focused object, switching to planet camera

would it feel more natural to just zoom in on whatever you're moused over at the time rather than having to click first... but then how would I let the camera track the object in orbit, but not necessarily zoom in on it (for whatever reason we'd want to do that)

could also do multiple zoom levels, Sins style, but once you're at a certain threshhold it auto locks onto the nearest object?

user that keeps replying to your posts here

I have a simple fur shader I've been working on, I used it in my halloween jam game dwgwgy.itch.io/shadow-of-the-cowlossus

it has an underlying skin map, a map for fur color, and an alpha map for determining where fur grows. It also has adjustable length and fade multiplier

It uses like 10 shells, but you can do more or less depending on your needs

this webm shows a version that pulsed the underlying skin texture to expose blood vessel location

maybe i'll share the code, but its super messy so i dunno, but yea shaders are fucking neato

No Clickteam Fusion?
I using this program and it's pretty good for 2D game.

>those GM:S2 beta limitations
I don't want it anymore...

I think I need new glasses. Everything's so blurry.

>the underlying skin texture to expose blood vessel location
why?

You don't need it, my man. Godot is better and completely free.

fuck the compression killed that webm

It does a good job though for smaller characters

to find the veins to suck blood from, for the jam game

neat

So I kind of want to make a game with modding support.

But how does that work if a use a proprietary engine, such as Unity? Is it against the rules or inadvisable to just export my game's editor file and tell everyone to use the engine?

I see. What I want is more of a viva pinata thing (which might just be manually built into the model and then just given movement influence based on gravity.) but I imagined a fur shader could do it just the same provided I set it correctly.

I'm still learning so I will read through more documentation.

That's more like making your game open source than modding support, but I don't think it's against any rules.

Why would you give away your game for free like that?
You can implement a modding API yourself, users shouldn't need to download all of Unity to mod your game.

yea I've seen fur shaders on the asset store that can take physics into effect, haven't tried it myself

In the end it all ends up being a variation of shells/fins. Rare did it well with conker, starfox adventures, and viva pinata (and nuts and bolts too)

UE4 has a system for it

Anybody know the answer? It might make or break whether it's actually worth it to me

progess new sword
its one of many weapons you can find in my game
this one will have the ability to random 1H ko small mobs.

This is what I'm talking about here - where you'd click to select the planet you want, then mouse wheel to zoom in on it. Does that seem like reasonable usability? I'm bad at UX stuff.

Changed the suplex up a bit from last night, now is affected by platforms and ceilings.

lets just say source engine gets a bad rep around here

I'd advise switching engines to something more modern, especially when you have source 2 coming out anyways

have you looked at the process to publishing a source game?

>no art
stfu dude dont comment me without posting your art

Okay here's a new webm I just made

What the fuck are the bullets for?

And don't make the blocks so similar to the respawn point, it's pretty confusing.

Otherwise, keep it up, way to reinvent a classic

I don't think I'll have enough time to finish the newer boss fight before demo day, so I'm working on other things. Made some adjustments to the first fight. The fire pillars now use the newer tell look so you can [hopefully] see them better. You can now also jump kick off the boss, which will probably make it super easy compared to before. In addition to the delay between attack strings and healing items, it shouldn't be too hard anymore. The jump kicking does give me an excuse to re-implement some scrapped ideas for it though.

Bullets kill red enemies and blue enemies can only be killed by collision. I agree about the window. I need to redesign the ship but I have no idea. Any feedback would help.

Jesus this is getting complex. I think it would be pretty simple to make blocks solid. Save the transparent window look for the respawn window, they blocks can easily be opaque. Also this might let you make the entire block red or blue, I hadn't even noticed the outlines before.

How do you aim bullets?

A game where weapons change you

Fire bullets either with the abxy buttons of a game pad (8 way direction) or the arrow keys on the keyboard. Move left and right with a and d or the d pad and use the triggers or spacebar for flippers. I want to get the bullets mapped to the analog stick but I'm still working on that. Keyboard actually works pretty well.

>trying to come up with stealth souls names
>How about wayward souls
>Google it
>Turns out it already exists
>Turns out it's the name of that shitty game made with stolen assets from final fantasy that got viral marketed on /v/ a couple years ago
I always wondered if that guy has anything to do with agdg

>have generic upgrade system like binding of issac/gungeon/etc
>cant think of things for the upgrades to be
r/gamedev where do you get inspiration to come up with 100 random items tangentially related to your game?

Get one of those old ass catalogs from before the internet about shit a store was selling and pick at random

Back at it! A-Anyone miss me? Okay.

I fixed up the menus, the buttons were all sorts of fucked up when responding to gamepad input.

It literally all depends on the setting of the game, the theme, and what the gameplay actually is.

Your post doesn't help anyone help you.

where do you get your ebooks, /agdg/?
Google ad sicp.me have failed me.

so it takes about 2 hours to finish my demo, do you think anyone will actually play that much?

I would.

megaman?

Basic bitch question about this thing in Gamemaker.
I'm following a tutorial and recently made a weapon that could be picked up by the player.
This is part of the player object's code that is used to assign the weapon to the player once they collide with it. The part I don't fully understand is the last line.

I know that "self.id" means the specific ID of the player object, since this code is on the player object. CurrentWeapon is a variable, and Owner is a variable on oMachineGun's code.

What I don't know is what does connecting the two with a period explicitly do? Also, how am I able to reference a variable on the gun's code from the player's?

>stolen assets from final fantasy
>Wayward souls
The fuck are you talking about

>No motivation to do anything
>My entire week has been "masturbate for six hours, watch tv and play games for 12"

My dev laptop is slowly breaking

>no touchpad so have to use mouse now
>WiFi so weak have to use usb tethering now
>keyboard just died, now have to use external
>audio back died last year so use speakers
>charging pin almost broken
Just fuck my life up

Can anyone recommend me a

CurrentWeapon is the id of the weapon that touched the player.

Instance_place returns the id of the machinegun that touched the player, so you're calling the 'Owner' variable from the instance that touched the player.

2 hours is too much, separate it into 2

The only way I get things done is deliberately decide "time to play games" until Im tired of it, then dev. Saying "I should dev" and then playing games doesn't work because its 1) a guilty feeling so I dont even enjoy the vidya, and 2) I still felt like it was dev. So rather than try to abstain from shit I like, its more like I indulge in it until I'm full

Its about wizards with shotguns

Dot notation indicates that you're accessing a member of an instance of an object. In this case you're getting the owner property(which is an integer) of the weapon you picked up.

GML is pretty shitty though and if you want to learn actual programming i'd advice against it. If you just wanna gamedev then keep at it.

There comes a point in development where graphics are needed and m8, you passed that point several months ago.

Very helpful info, thank you.