Head Units

Hey Veeky Forums,
What would you guys recommend for a head unit in your car?

Just looking for a single din receiver to fit into my aerio sx. I would prefer one that does basic functions (like aux in) and doesn't look like it has been riced out with LED's, but also isn't too expensive.
Something like pic related but cheaper.

Thanks!

Other urls found in this thread:

jaycar.com.au/p/QM3781#4?MID=4&SSUBID=938&SUBCATID=1029&keyform=CAT2#4
ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-CQ-RX100U-MP3-WMA-50Wx4-Car-Radio-Stereo-Player-/311709727120
ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-DEH-1900MP-CD-MP3-WMA-RECEIVER-CD-PLAYER-CAR-STEREO-RADIO-TESTED-WORKS-/311708670324
ebay.com/itm/Sony-xplode-car-stereo-/142131217981
jaycar.us/in-dash-multimedia-player-with-usb-and-bluetooth/p/QM3788
amazon.com/Pioneer-DEX-P99RS-Stage-Reference-Receiver/dp/B003F0TK12/
suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-aerio-liana-forum/45490-2003-aerio-clarion-stereo-aux.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bump
Anyone have any input?

For the amount of threads we get about this. We should make some type of info graphic or something

>inb4 all the poor kids fight about cheap amps and how their $20 shit sounds better
Either buy a basic HU with LCD only or change the LEDs yourself. Or search the archive for the 100s of posts about the exact same thing.

>Something like pic related but cheaper.
What is pic related? It looks much nicer than most of the riced out heads currently available.

JVC and Kenwood are both the same company. both heads use the same firmware. So either are going to be decent.

Pioneer is OK, but I would say they're no better than the above anymore. Alpine and Sony seem to be cutting back on their offerings, but I would assume there no better or worse.

tl;dr car audio aftermarket solutions have reached a plateau now what factory units are becoming more desirable and futureproof. Development is all but stagnated and no matter which brand you get it's going to be exactly the same minus the face design.

Why not buy a rice one with dimmer

or put a face cover on it?

Now that you mention it, do you know anything about chinese brands? Or are all of them shit?

Here you go :)

jaycar.com.au/p/QM3781#4?MID=4&SSUBID=938&SUBCATID=1029&keyform=CAT2#4

Look for a used one on ebay?
ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-CQ-RX100U-MP3-WMA-50Wx4-Car-Radio-Stereo-Player-/311709727120
ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-DEH-1900MP-CD-MP3-WMA-RECEIVER-CD-PLAYER-CAR-STEREO-RADIO-TESTED-WORKS-/311708670324
ebay.com/itm/Sony-xplode-car-stereo-/142131217981

>Now that you mention it, do you know anything about chinese brands? Or are all of them shit?
Plastic is cheaper quality, display is (ironically) probably brighter. They're going to be OK for basic usage like adding an aux to a shitbox, but you won't be getting firmware updates and they might have some odd quirks.

The wiring harnesses may or may not use the standard wiring colors so it may be harder to connect it to the car without studying a manual.

As always, read the reviews. If there are no reviews, pass up on it.

>jaycar.com.au/p/QM3781#4?MID=4&SSUBID=938&SUBCATID=1029&keyform=CAT2#4
That is sexy. Thanks! Too bad it's out of stock.

Yeah, what a shame.
If you live in the U.S., they have this in stock, but doesn't look as good IMHO.

jaycar.us/in-dash-multimedia-player-with-usb-and-bluetooth/p/QM3788

Thanks, this actually looks kind of appealing for the price.

I got pic related for about 130aud, it's little ricey, but it has great Bluetooth quality compared to the cheapest head units you find, changeable lighting. Only issue I had is it failed to read my 64gb usb, caused it to reboot

dude tape decks lmao
>both are from the 90s and have aux input btw

>jaycar.com.au/p/QM3781#4?MID=4&SSUBID=938&SUBCATID=1029&keyform=CAT2#4
Man that looks so classy but $130??
I thought you were being a poor kid at first but that is 2x-3x what it should cost for a no-name.

I am also on the hunt for a not Fast and Furious head unit.

the factory ones from the 90s usually have worn jacks tho

amazon.com/Pioneer-DEX-P99RS-Stage-Reference-Receiver/dp/B003F0TK12/

-If you want to maintain the stock look of your interior, but want a nice sound system you can easily bypass the radio with a line driver such as the JL Audio CL-RLC. All you need is a good set of speakers, a 4 channel amp, a sub (optional) and the line driver. This will allow you to wire the amp directly into your speakers bypassing the radio. You can then choose your input method, either an 3.5 aux in, or digital in from your phone/mp3 player. The line driver comes with its own volume knob that you can place anywhere, or modify it to work off your existing radio volume knob. Its very easy to supply power to your radio so the controls still light up. The only downside is that you will loose FM/AM function.

>A button labeled "moist"

Exquisite.

Sorry, I'm not a rich fag.
and this doesn't even support DSD

oem with an aux input that plugs into the back or a tape to aux adapter.

>tfw the most decent looking good quality head units cost the same price as your shitbox

Whaaaaa...
So this guy on the forums soldered an aux input to the left channel, right channel, and ground pin.
He then uses a silent CD to play the music through the aux port.

My question is, how would I go about routing this? Should I just buy a 3.5mm extention aux, cut off the male end, strip and solder the wires to the player, and then route the cable from the player through the dash into an ash tray or something?

Or is this more complicated than I am picturing it as.

Link:
suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-aerio-liana-forum/45490-2003-aerio-clarion-stereo-aux.html

that seems more complicated.

If you already have good after market speakers, and an amp. just get the line in, and bypass your radio.

I have neither :(
I am more of a /g/ guy anyways, I am more worried about how I am going to get the cable routed through the car than I am worried about taking it apart and soldering the required connections.

Just buy a cheap aftermarket HU rather than screwing with that shit. If you want something plain, then get a marine HU that won't have any bright LEDs.

Or this. Just basic LCD and backlights.

if you can afford speakers, dont bother getting a new head unit.

This

I'm cheap, and I prefer the stock units aesthetics. And I have time to fuck with shit.
If I fuck it up, I will just buy an aftermarket HU like you suggested, so no worries there :)

So what is your goal? Just add an aux input to the factory radio.

Not originally, but it is now.