youtube.com/watch?v=oUQk24VBF4s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Depends on your location.

Vic, Aus

i swear there's a neon coupe with a full carbon body

it looks like shit

I intend on physically RE-molding complete panels if it's legal

was the neon a carbon wrap thing?

Do people replace glass front windows with plexiglas?

>I intend on physically RE-molding complete panels if it's legal

Why not just buy a new car? Shit's going to be stupid expensive.

I like my current car and would like to improve on it's foundations - any idea of a ballpark figure?

>Shit's going to be stupid expensive.

Raw carbon sheets and resin are not that expensive, working with carbon is similar to working with fiberglass. It's obviously going to look like shit but it's definitely doable on a budget if you have a lot of time on your hands.

there's a really good tutorial series on YT
youtube.com/watch?v=UgKvDw1E60E

I looked into doing it as a side project. I'd say at least $3k to get started and $500 each for the easy panels assuming you get it right the first time, which isn't likely. You can make some really nice pieces though if you get good.

Thanks, my friend. Viewing now! I didn't think it would be DIYable since I don't have a large assortment of tools and bodywork was never my specialty but the process does look straight-forward

Have you made any parts yourself?

7oz triaxial carbon fiber is around 15usd a yard depending on the width you get. You are going to need a 3d modeling program, a medium sized 3axis cnc, a very good vacuum system, and a ton of time. I would suggest you just do hood and roof to start as they are the flattest and easiest to model and vaccuform. Ive played around with this idea too but haven't pulled the trigger on it. Ive also thought about removing the panels and making a mold straight from the original panels to take some of the design work out.

I had a similar idea where I would take a decent 3d printer and print 200mm x 200mm parts that overlap each other, and glue together to form a body panel. It would be very easy to do, and shouldn't look that bad after sanding, body filler, and paint.

As for legal, unless you fuck with the headlights, it's probably fine.

We already got one that is made in stock.

ONE: 1

my first thought was to make molds from the front fenders and hood. I'm going to try to make a dash from carbon fiber and leather before trying any body panels.

I'm just lost. Why is it that this wouldn't be legal?

if you could afford to do this why would you care about the legality in the first place? tickets would quite literally be pocket change.

Certain infractions cause you to lose points on your license.

That's a good idea. You will waste less carbon if it doesn't go well. A&P technology makes some good fabric and their triax looks a lot better than regular +/-45 you find most places. The downside is you might have to buy 100yds or more at once.
>pic related

>It's obviously going to look like shit
Then why bother?

Because modern day body works from the factory have crumple zones to consider and go thru rigorous testing for safety.

I don't see why it would be illegal, body aren't really what's protecting you in the event of a crash

To save weight I don't know why else you would.

youtube.com/watch?v=oUQk24VBF4s

>To save weight
then why not just use fiberglass? FAR cheaper and the weight difference is severely negligible .

You could but carbon looks and sounds cooler.

The fabric isn't really the expensive part. The epoxy and equipment required are what's expensive.

>carbon looks

see and > sounds cooler.

Maybe if you're twelve.

Fiberglass would still be cheaper than carbonfiber. If your one and only goal is weight reduction there is no reason to use carbon fiber over fiberglass.

sw20?

body frames have crumple zones. Body panels, not so much.

Fiberglass is heavy as shit you nimrod

This guy lives in Atlanta, Full Carbonfiber 370z

No, it's not. I also live in vic and I am doing it anyway. The weight savings are worth it.

Yeah, this. CF has to be cooked.
Fiberglass can be hardened without that hassle, look at how boats are made.

Gee that must be why race cars and dragsters are all made with fiber glass bodies and why chevy made the corvette out of fiber glass for half a century. Get fucked m8.