Tool Thread

Most of us wrench, which means we have to at least own a few tools. So Tool Thread.
>Tool boxes
>New tools
>Useful tools
>New aquistions.

Post your questions and tools ITT.

Hopefuly by christmas I will have enough money to buy myself a Husky or Kobalt tool chest, debating on getting the one with speakers or not. I also want to get the roll around Husky tool chest that has the raiseable work bench.

My most used tools
>AC Delco Floor Jack (Fucking garbage)
>AC Delco jack stands (They're alright)
>Husky 30 peice ratchet set (Amazing for price)
>Craftsman 3 drawer plastic tool box with assorted tools (You know the one)
After I get a pickup Im going to pick up a cherry picker and engine stand and a stock 302 to tear apart and rebuild.

>no buying a snapon toolbox
Lel

>not already having every tool that you will need passed on by your dad.

Been waiting for this thread since I moved a couple weeks ago. I finally have a decent garage with a workbench. Still need to grab a bunch of pegs and figure out what to hang.

Fuck that

I understand the point of getting SnapOn hand tools, but I don't understand the point of getting a SnapOn tool chest. Seems unnecessary.

My dad had so much shit and I got a lot of it like a year and a half ago but have no clue what happened to the rest. Doesn't help that he moved a few times the past couple years and I had people in Colorado shipping shit to me in Florida and there is probably still stuff somewhere in Illinois.

I want to purchase a Husky tool cabinet/workbench from Home Depot.

I know that Sears has sales on Craftsman around Christmas; does Home Depot usually do the same?

Engine stands are nice to have, but ends up being one of those things that is already at somebody else's place. That's what happened when my buddy bought one and it was in a different garage every other weekend.

Did the wheels fall off your floor jack too?

If you are going to buy a rolling cart, you could probably cheap out a bit more on the bigger tool chest. Not like you need ultra low friction bearings on the big stationary one.

And those speakers are retarded. Just get a bluetooth speaker or something.

Well when you're a poor fag I can't justify spending what? 1.5k on a tool box.
I eventually will but when you move 900 miles from those tools you kinda gotta get your own.
Yeah usually, and after too, I usually go after dented shit they drop the price pretty good.
I almost never let people borrow my shit unless I'm with them or trust them enough.
No but now I'm looking forward to that, they did fall off the creeper though, the jack just has a super shitty head on it.
I just want the tool chest combo that t
rolls cause then I dont have to take shit out whenever I have to move it, and the roll around workbench is a far far thought for when I get my own garage, currently in a shit appartment so Id have to keep everything in storage. The speakers just seem like a neat idea but I never actually tried to see how they play.

>$1.5k for a Snapon
You are underestimating how ridiculous their pricing is.

And seriously skip on the speakers. A decent toolbox should last you decades. No way the speakers will last that long. I just use this little bluetooth speaker and it has a battery so I can move it if I need to work somewhere else.

You have a Lowe's nearby? Just keep an eye out for the big sales. Sears has Craftsman sales a couple times a year and it's a good idea to jump on the stuff when there is a sale instead of waiting until you really need it and have to pay twice as much. Lowe's recently had some nice kits on sale, convinced some user to grab some 400pc+ Kobalt set that was on sale for $199 off of $399. It had everything, all the usual ratchets and open ended wrenches, but then it had the ratcheting box wrenches (which run ~$100 alone), a ton of extra extensions and u-joints, a breaker bar, a couple sets of hex keys (long & short, metric & SAE), and all of those torx, hex, and driver sockets that come in really useful.

New to wrenching.

Only know how to change the oil, sparkplugs, fluids etc. Have been using loaners want to have my own shit.

$100 budget, question: What basic tools are essential/brand/new or used/good box or bag to keep them in?

Thanks

I was looking for a pilot bearing puller the other day and found something I hadnt seen before.
Its a self-tapping threaded fitting with a grease nipple on the end.
You screw it into the bearing hole and use a grease gun to force grease behind the bearing and push it out.
Has anyone ever used one of these before?

That's pretty low. You have a Harbor Freight nearby? You could get cheap shit from them but some of it is garbage.

>not buying kennedy and lista
wtf

Yes I do have a HF near heare. I could go up to $250 at most - didnt know tools were so expensive.

HF would be good for some of the smaller stuff. I say grab a Husky or Craftsman kit on sale like I posted here and you will be set for sockets and they often have some screwdrivers or at least the bits. Then drop a few more bucks on a set of pliers. After that, just kinda see what you need for jobs. HF would be good for a breaker bar, C-clamp for breaks, hammer and mallet, etc.

It's a little different if you want to do carpentry stuff around home too. Those kits with all the sockets will help with cars and machinery, but I do a lot of weekend warrior projects and that's where tape measures, levels, studfinders, drills, and other power tools come in handy. So that stuff is worth having around the house. And if you don't have a cordless drill, def think about that. When you buy that Ikea TV stand held together with 5mm hex bolts, a drill can turn it from an hour long job to a 20min job.

Thanks friend!

$100 is not enough.

get a kobalt 3/8 torque wrench with a wide setting range and get a usgeneral box from HF.

sockets set, wrench set, plier set, driver set, dead blow hammer.

rest buy as you need.

Are there ANY good bench top drill presses?

I have very little workshop space but I need to drill lockwire holes in some fasteners for my bike.

He's also onto it here Boxes aren't cheap. But if you aren't rolling it around the shop all day, you don't have to spend $5000 on one. But even the US General ones will probably run $250+ on sale.

Torque wrench is nice, but depends what you are doing and how retarded you are. Good ones are a fairly large purchase and if you need it to do a head job once you could probably just borrow one from an auto parts store.

The sockets, wrenches, and driver sets will all be in one of those $100-$300 Craftsman, Kobalt, or Husky kits, so that and a pliers set will get most stuff done. If you live in the rust belt and/or plan on doing suspension work, breaker bar for sure. Agree on the hammer/mallet. One more thing to grab (especially for suspension) is one of those small propane torches. Penetrating oil, propane torches, and a breaker bar are a must-have with suspension work.

I had an old drill press and a nice big vise at the house I grew up in and I regret not tearing that shit out before I moved. Drill presses are fucking great but it's hard to justify the price. I think I had a bearing press there too but that garage was falling apart.

Good relative to what? a $4,000 baileigh precision press? No.
drilling safety wire holes isnt precision work just get one from lowes/home depot/sears. ive used a 'shitty' one for years without issues.

I was worried more about the the drill crapping out that the holes being perfect.

use low rpm, oil, and a stubby carbide/cobalt bit.
you dont need to spend more than $200 for the press and vice.

I was thinking used for 1.5k looked them up on local CL real quick.

This.
I had to drill 40 or so half inch holes through quarter inch steel and I did it all on a cheap ryobi press. I did it all on the lowest speed with oil at the ready. The bit i used was from home depot too. The bit was pretty much trash after that.

I can actually get decent bits for cheap from a friend who works in a machine shop. (They aren't allowed to do non-work projects or I'd toss him a sixer and a BJ to get them all drilled.)

>free frosty again

top fucking lulz

I'm going to get a 1/4 drive milwaukee ratchet next

>Most of us wrench, which means we have to at least own a few tools.
lol

Is the 120xp better/worse than the dual 80?

Also it's pretty laughable how cheap and unrealistic you guys think a quality tool set runs. $10k buys a pretty complete basic tool set if quality tools. I can easily see having $2k in power tools alone in quality non tool truck pneumatics and cordless tools.

>muh roll cart

I don't have a fancy tool cart...

>absolutely zero fucking mobility
>craftsman garbage
>no power tools

2/10 tops

>not throwing random shit in plastic storage boxes and having a general mess all over the garage
Roflmao

>spends more on tools than he earns
Roflmao

I buy all of my tools with cash and rarely do I buy something off a tool truck. With that said I have made a significant investment in quality tools in order to further my career.

>doesn't keep his tools clean
What kind of cuck are you?

>polishes his tools instead of beating labor times

>not having pride in your tools and taking an extra ten minutes at the end of the day to clean them

>tfw kennedy boxes everywhere at work

>shitting on other people's tools when you have a dirty ass toolbox full of garbage

Gettin one of these bad mofos fo-freeeeeeeeee. Cant wait.

>having pride in an object designed to give the user the ability to perform work

Pride is in the workmanship and not the tools you fucking clown. I have known way too many chuckle fucks like you that end up polishing their tools all day when you aren't working on even more comebacks because you lack the competence to complete simple repair procedures properly.

>criticizing people for using tools instead of waxing them

Do you niggers even work? Have you ever even removed an oil pan? I'm almost exclusively heavy line overhaul and it really just isn't even worth the effort to make my tools spotless because I'll be elbow deep in the shit the very next day.

The 3/8 SO impact is ok about on par with most others, but their ratchet is a fucking boss. It makes my milwaukee look like a thumbwheel ratchet. Do yourself a favor and grab the 3/8 grey pneumatic duo impact sockets and don't ever even bother with chrome sockets or traditional impact sockets again.

I only had 50 dollars so I God duralast toolset and some standard wrenches for the toolbox of my ranger.

>hey man I got some new parts for my car could you give me a hand? I've got lots of beer. Oh yeah bring your tools

>have had this lift for over half a year now

Maybe someday I'll install it.

Yea i posted the wrong pic mines gonna be the 1/2in. Used one of them to break 450ftlbs torque on several valves. Burnt through them like they were hand tight. Fuckin nice. Ill check out them sockets though. Know a good step down/up set by chance?

>chrome sockets on an impact tool
Who in the fuck woul-nevermind.

have had this for about three months now, very happy with it, got it for almost 2/3rds off the list price.

What I was trying to say is that the GP duo sockets have the same profile as chrome sockeys therefore there is no reason to have a set of both chrome and impact sockets. I use my duo sockets on impact guns and with ratchets.

My milwaukee 1/2 did this.

So these are the ones your talkin about? Not to bad 170 for whats pictured.

You'll love it once you've got it in place. I installed a different type of lift a few years back, one of the best things I have in that garage, it's handy for so much more than just cars too, becomes 2 extra work benches with adjustable height, tilting stuff, lawnmower, tiny wheelloaders can get on it sideways etc.
Posting some pics.

Yes exactly. I use these in 3/8 drive for everything. I've had them for a year and only broken 1 socket. I'm not sure how they would hold up in 1/2 drive though as you are dealing with much higher torque values.

I only have a socket set for simple shit around the house and whatnot. Of course a jack, I mean who doesn't have at least a simple one. I also have a set of Ramps that my neighbor gave me. All of the rest of the tools I use, my friend who taught me how to do vehicle work owns he's supervising me or showing me how to do it. I'm probly not doing to much to my mustang if he isn't around anyway.

That looks really fucking convenient. Wish I actually had an indoor garage. I just have a car port with painful ass hell gravel for ground.

If the regular puller won't do it I use bar soap and a punch similar in size to the bearing hole. Just keep forcing it in little by little and it'll push the bearing out.

Aye, I use that garage for heavier machinery too so I had to have something that's out of the way.
I know your pain, any bolt or nut dropped in gravel seem to fall into some interdimensional portal. Concrete is pretty cheap if you can mix it yourself.

My brother and I use an old wheel barrow to mix concrete when we put our privacy fence up so I'm sure it would be doable. I have no idea how we would get that done though.

>You'll love it once you've got it in place.
Do all your neighbors want to use it too?

wannabe casey neistat

>my workplace allocates everybody a full snap-on chest tailored to their department
>over the course of 2 years, I've been gradually swapping their hand tools out for my own inferior ones from home