/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Cancerous memes edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.43.05-alpha1

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

bronze-age-swords.com/intro.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm posting bote until toady adds botes in the game and we can have real fishing in the game.

We talking small boats or big galleons like mobile forts?

I'm posting shite until toady adds shite and we can have real shitting in the game.

(pic related is a fake, so no ban pls)

All botes. Toady said he WILL add boates and they'll be small and big, some behaving like fortresses.
Bote mode when

Now this I want. imagine how much faeces will be on every dwarf if you don't have a shower in a choke point.

Didn't you completely miss the last thread?

that's why it was good

Do you guys stick to one kind of weapon or do you have multiple squads with different types? What kinds do you prefer? I partial to hammers myself.

I generally stick to two groups, one with hammers and one with battleaxes.

I try to work in x-bow dorfs, but it never works. Maybe i should throw in a spear dorf squad.

not as good as your mother

got dammut where did everybody go?

Are coins back in yet? As in, every dwarf carrying his own wealth with him? I miss those throwing competitions with coins as lethal flying objects.

Warhammers and Picks
everything else (except crossbows) is a mistake.

Damn DePlatino for making such appealingly clean text.

Yes.

The economy isn't active yet, no.

ight so first fort on the go, on year 4. plenty of food and drink, shrooms and berries being farmed. few questions

what do i do with figurines, how do I know the squad members have equipped the weapon i told them to. does each dwarf have an inventory I can see?

Ive dug down to layer 136? just touched the top of a cavern. What do I do now, i have a variety of gems cut and stored and all I can do is encrust furniture whats that worth.

also quite a bit of copper and silver, do i make metal weapons? the fuck do i fight with them

>wearing an amulet as an earring

The default keybind is ctrl+shift+z, you can change it in dfhack.init

Assign a [n]oble to the position of [m]anager, then open the [u]nits screen and then the [j]obs list to find the [m]anager interface.

Through there you can set orders to produce various things, do various jobs, etc.

A suit of armor should be at least a helm, mail shirt, gauntlets, and high boots. Ideally with a hood and cloak for facial features.

Copper armor and weapons aren't ideal, if you come across hematite, magnetite, or limonite you can make iron, if you come across uh, shit, bismuthinite I think, you can go after bronze, which is better, unless you have flux stone like marble, dolomite, chalk, and the like which can be used to make steel.

Copper edged weapons are ok for a start, but silver blunt weapons kick ass, silver war hammers and maces are a good start for a military, copper shields are heavy for bashing and less fragile than wooden shields which can get damaged now.

To see the inventory you can loo[k] at a unit, or [v]iew them.

To line up jobs directly besides the manager you can [q]uery buildings and oors and such and start jobs or tasks or toggle states like locking doors, ordering levers pulled, or deconstruction.

Is Elkposter ever going to finish our quest for pussy?

alright i have some silver, guess ill make some hammers at the metalwork forge? or is it the craft workshop.

i have all the doors i need, what do i do though just keep digging until i hit some subterranean creature and let it wipe me out or what. the only action ive seen are kobolds.

again though, how do i make sure my squads have actually equipped the stuff.

there is no real goal to DF, its an old school sim like simcity. up to you what you want to do.

read the military tutorial.

military is actually a bitch to figure out, its almost too hard to explain without figuring it out for yourself.

Like the others said, decide what you want to see if you can do, and see if you can do it.

As you start making more stuff and getting more dorfs you'll begin getting attention from more interesting visitors.

They can show up in the caverns too, in unpredictable and often horribly deadly forms, so be careful there too.

hundreds and hundreds of hours of this shit and I'd hadn't encountered pus until now. had to look it up to see if it was a new feature

my entire fort is built in dirt and its starting to grow grass inside im gonna regen in a proper mountain and make a decent palace.

i figure it has something to do with this armor rack but thanks.

N-n-no I didn't shut up

copper and tin make bronze. Bismuthinite can make bismuth bronze, which is identical to bronze in material quality but is more valuable and always worth the cost of making if you were already making bronze.

If you're using copper the only edged weapon you should make are spears. If I had only silver and copper, I would use silver warhammers squads and crossbow squads, personally.

I don't understand how toady couldn't make a consistent UI? I've learned everything now but seriously.

well, since everything is in ASCII instead of using sprites, he has to use Hotkeys for all the commands instead of icons, like a normal game.

that normal, grass is good cause you can feed your grazers.

If you don't like it you can build floors over it so it won't grow. You can also build walls while you're at, it increases the value of the rooms and doesn't requiring (or allow) smoothing or engraving like natural stone.

Tin is what I was derping on, I have only had a chance to actually set up a bronze industry without access to steel overriding it like once, but it had bismuthinite there too, thank ya.

Bronze isn't better than iron in any way except for it's marginally higher density making it marginally better for blunt attacks.
k doesn't allow you to see a creature's inventory.

Having dirt for the first few z levels of an embark isn't unusual, and is desirable in many cases. You just dig deeper before you start settling. That's a tiny fort, and you could redig it a zlevel or 3 down in minutes, no need for a new embark.

Cassiterite is the ore of tin. That's usually where people stumble in memory.

Cassiterite is focused in alluvial layers, which means areas of erosion from water and near/buried in sedimentary layers. That means it's actually quite rare to get all the pieces of bronze without getting at least iron, if not steel.

You get a lot more cassiterite in granite, which is a very common layer stone and can exist throughout the entirety of an embark. Alluvial layers are much less common by comparison, and can only exist in a small zone near the top of an embark. It's not unusual at all to get tons of cassiterite without a single component of steel.

It isn't quite that simple, and I am too used to thinking about adventure mode loo[k] I guess.

Looks like the yield values are higher for bronze, but fracture is lower, and it's denser. They're pretty close though.

Yeah, I've only had one fort which was a 2x2 with one forest tile and three mountain tiles, had a good amount of a flux as I recall, but only silver/copper/tin and then I hit a seam of bismuthinite up in the highest parts of the mountain... with the cassiterite under the forest part.

>only way get a dog/animal companion is to create an interaction that gives [INTELLIGENT]

Yeah, but then it'll cause the dog/animal to speak.

Had a stonesense shot of it but can't remember where, though I know this was from it because I had carved the living area/bedrooms around a drained volcano and all the dorfs spent time plinking bolts into cavern wildlife that tried to come up.

>It isn't quite that simple
You're right, it isn't quite that simple. It's pretty damn close to that simple, though. The raws you posted add up to "iron is better if you're doing anything other than making blunt weapons."

I have a shit ton of lead, what should I do with it?

build water pumps
make pewter figurines and carefully arrange chess sets or wargame boards

Well, higher impact/compressive/tensile/shear/bending yield with the higher impact/tensile strain at yield means it's better at shrugging off blunt weapons I think, but the lower fracture values means it isn't as good at stopping blades.

Toady uses weird values there though, so it's pretty confusing, but aside from something using exclusively edged attacks bronze should come out better as armor.

do traps still block caravans?

iron and bronze are almost identical, bronze is only marginally inferior to iron.

You're better off saving your iron for steel.

It's not exclusively inferior, like I said, it'll shrug off blunt impacts better if I'm reading the raws properly.

I don't debate that, what i'm saying is that its only slightly inferior, barely noticeable in other regards in comparison to iron.

it's heavier, which means it will slow down your dwarves' attacks.

Is there any good way to make sure my woodcutters don't cut trees in such a way that the logs fall into ponds? I'd rather not have to drain a pond every time I want some willow logs.

Build floors over the ponds

Until they get their armor skill up, at which point it doesn't matter anymore, and they'll barely notice the difference between bronze and iron, it's far less than the bronze/copper one after all.

Well, it's better against stuff like fists, hammers, misc object wielders and the like which can't strike at the lower edged resistance easily.

If you wanted to paint a burrow that overlapped the side you need it cut from perhaps?

How long do you let your worldgen run? I set it to 250 years because I'm impatient.

Some of those values aren't used by the game at all except for wrestling, and aren't applicable to armor or weapon calculations at all (bending and torsion), and compressive values are only used for pinching. Nothing that can pinch through iron will fail to pinch through bronze. Strain at yield and shear yield are entirely neglible at nearly any value, but especially at such small differences. Lower impact yield is better for blunt defense (although they're close enough for the two that the difference rarely matters in iron's favor).
Density is the really the only thing bronze has going for it in the defensive column too, but iron is close enough in density that there's only a tiny sweet spot of blunt attack momenta that bronze is going to deflect but iron won't. Small differences in shear fracture are relevant more often, as there are something like twice as many edged melee weapons in the game, and shear fracture ratios receives a hefty multiplier in the calc to determine penetration that magnifies differences between the armor and weapon.
Or put more simply, iron armor and bronze armor have a very similar likelihood to deflect a blunt attack from either a bronze or iron weapon. But iron is a good deal more likely than bronze to stop an edged attack from an iron weapon, and a much more likely to stop an edged attack from a bronze weapon.

Around 100 years seems to be the agreed upon sweet spot for everything that isn't a world full of necromancers. It's enough time for wars to start and develop without too many civs fizzling out.

Hmmm, I'm not as sure that the bending and torsion aren't important with armor damage and such now, and I thought compressive applied to force transfer but testing didn't really hit on those values and was before the transfer/damage changes anyways.

Mostly I just meant that stuff swinging copper/silver/flesh is going to prefer an iron covered target over bronze.

It's weird because bronze shouldn't really be that much heavier on a weapon to weapon comparison, and the flexibility of bronze isn't represented in game at all. Iron is a lot more brittle than the values in the raws suggest.

bronze-age-swords.com/intro.htm

It's easier to work with, doesn't rust the instant you look away, and only lost out due to the rarity of tin. It wasn't until steel that we obsoleted bronze.

any game breaking bugs about the latest version? anything i should know about i have not played since tavern arc

I don't know about game breaking, but it's certainly very annoying: traveling armies in adventure mode will pretty much always be asleep forever, so there's basically no actual conflict between civs past world gen. Armies can still reach you in fort mode, but if you try to intercept any as an adventurer you'll find that there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. It's so bad that you can sometimes find whole armies in tents in the middle of rivers which will drown when you pass them by.

Actually it feels like world activation in general is just a buggy mess. It still doesn't feel like the world changes much after world gen because half the shit that changes stuff is completely broken.

Can I use DFhack to find an NPC in adventure mode? I can't find them in the game itself and I'm unable to ask about them.

>Building a fort in dirt is normal

Rock is just large dirt.
Dirt is tiny microscopic rock.

do you always have to build two stairs next to eachother? it wont like "acknowledge" my designation if I dont have two.

I have been incredibly incensed about this when I first noticed it.

Do y'all think it will be fixed by the next update?

What the fuck are you even talking about.
Are you making sure your designations are accessible?

Ah, you know I didn't even consider the new(ish) force translation mechanics. I was mostly expounding on ancient material property research. That's a fair point, and I don't know what values are used by those calcs, or even which layers and objects have the calcs applied to them. If any research has been done on the subject I haven't seen it, but that certainly looks like a place that Toady would apply some of the underused material properties.

They don't respond right when you're around them but they siege towns and ruin shit and impale bodies on pikes. I've seen sites founded, conquered, sacked, and more all while playing adventurer mode and building campsites.

Well that's a relief.

Still damn annoying when all I want to be is a roaming mercenary jumping into pre-existing conflicts.

like select build down stair, press enter. nothing happens. select build stair, press enter then press up then enter again, and it builds them.

second question, my hunter ran out of ammo but isnt using any of the 12 stacks i have sitting on the top floor what gives

How do i stop my dwarves from auto-filling a stone stock pile from shit theyve mined way in the depths. if its full they leave it, but its not.

By not making a stone stockpile. They're pointless wastes of dwarfpower.

this, if you want stone concentrated in a single area
>set single tile dump zone
>designate stones for dumping
>all the stone is piled in a single tile and you can deactivate it without deleting it

Or you can set it to accept from links only. You could also set it not to accept the types of stone which are being mined way in the depths, but I find fiddling with that annoying.

I hope so user, I hope so.

>2 * w_size * wIY > A * a_density
>If this test fails the blunt attack will be deflected. But, impact yields are typically at least 10 times larger than density values for the actual metals available, so this step is routinely passed by most weapons regardless of relative materials.

Armor is all about turning edged attacks into blunt attacks, which strongly relies upon the weapon material and armor material in which Adamantine > Steel > Iron > Bronze > Copper > Silver > Everything else holds true, and then its second job of being rigid armor ie. the choice of Breastplates and not just chain shirts, to absorb the force of blunt attacks.

Also, it's a disadvantage to fight in armor when you're poorly trained in armor because of the speed penalties.

Hmmm, I can't recall the armor yield not mattering, I'll have to check through the thread later.

I embarked on a cold biome and the river hasn't unfrozen even though its summer.

Is there anyway to fix this using dfhack? does it get warmer in autumn?

seems like you fell for the "turn off temperature" meme

if you turn temperature off, ice will NEVER thaw

>manager conditions can check the amount of aardvark blood you have but not sweetpods

Armor yield matters down the line in checks.

try, uh, making the squares in-doors? It's been a long time since I've messed with temp of objects and the ways you could change them. How far below 0 C is the ice?

:giggle:

I'll tell you how but only if you post more marcille

commence the spoonfeeding

item type: Plants
Material type: Dwarven syrup

Thanks, never would have figured that out in a million years

How fucked am I? I embarked on a volcano but I haven't found anything metal wise except for Cassiterite and Gold. Only weapons and armor is stuff I got from caravans and obsidian short swords. I'm also about to be at war with the elves because of course I am.

Volcanoes will do that. They rarely if ever have serviceable metals.

Use magma for defense. (Traps, etc. are okay too) It's the only way until you can get some goblinite or better trade from caravans.

>try, uh, making the squares in-doors?
I think it's aboveground/subterranean that determines whether a tile has the fixed underground temp or the ambient biome temp. I'm not certain of that, but I do know that simply building a roof over ice won't cause it to melt.

its 1 degree below.

Its weird, its raining but the tempature is still below freezing. Tempature is definitely on btw.

If the biome is cold enough, ice will simply never melt. Dig down and try to find water in the caverns.
Or dig down and build a 150-level pump stack to bring magma to the surface to heat up the river. That works too.

I'm not going to do that.

The biome read cold, not freezing, so it should thaw. If its not that means something is wrong.

Elves have wooden armor and weapons, so that shouldn't be much of an issue equipment wise. Just keep buying weapons and armor, and ask the liaison to bring more of them. The quality will be poor, but they should still serve. That gold means you can buy as much stuff as you want. Once you start getting goblin sieges, melt down the metal gear they have.

>They rarely if ever have serviceable metals.
That's not true. Hematite can be in igneous extrusive layers. Igneous intrusive layers almost always have tetrahedrite, and granite (the most common igneous intrusive) can have cassiterite, which gets you bronze. Both often have galena if you want silver for blunt weapons.
You stand a better chance of finding iron and steel fixins in sedimentary layers, but military-grade metals aren't very rare in other kinds of stone layer except metamorphic, which can only have galena.

I have had rivers that unfroze one year, then remained frozen for several years, and then froze again.

My favorite was actually a waterfall of 10 z-levels, and the low-ground river would freeze during the winter. This ice would cause a build up of water as a natural dam, expanding the ice wall until a lake would form between the mountain said and the large ice dam for 7 months of the year. One year came and after the initial low-ground freeze, the entire river froze, and nothing unfroze until years later.

Another time I embarked upon a glacier. I dug down into the ice to build my fort and find some rock. Two summers in, suddenly the whole glacier melts, slicing my standing rectangular fortress into two, diagonally from the two farthest corners. The falling dwarves and buildings crashed into the water below. Most died instantly, everybody else drowned later. In the lowest levels I had a food stockpile in the rock, a lone dwarf remained trapped beneath the freezing waters. With food and drink and a single cat, but no pick, no stone, and no escape, I left wondering what to do.

Sorry it wasn't supposed to be story time. Basically what I'm saying is that temperature changes can happen suddenly and I've had experience where they change from year to year.

you are extremely lucky if you find the components for steel on the same embark as a volcano.

You didn't say steel, you said serviceable metals.
Regardless, hematite in obsidian, rhyolite or andesite layers isn't terribly uncommon, and I can't remember the last time I saw an embark thay didn't have at least some marble. All you're missing is coal, which can be replaced by wood. You're not going to be tripping over iron ores on most volcanos like you would on many sedimentary embarks, but it's certainly not rare to find enough for a modest steel industry.

Nigga
First off, try not to mix terminology. [b]uild and [d]esignate operate on different rules.
All designations work on a two-point rectangle method.
You double tap enter because you need to set both corners of the rectangle. Do you not remember setting mining designations for a hallway or room? It's in the same menu. It works the same way.

If I'm not mistaken, malachite, which is a copper ore, can be found in marble, which is a metamorphic stone.

I like these ideas. I will try and hopefully not flood my fort

Is there any reason why my haulers have 'No Job' when there's a shitton of stone, clothes, dead bodies and wood lying in my fort?

Are your current stockpiles full? Try dumping what you want moved then reclaim it.

Idea:

Every time a creature walks over a prone creature, there should be a risk that the prone creature gets trampled. The damage caused should depend on the size of both creatures. For example, if the prone creature is larger than the standing creature, there will be less damage, or even no damage at all. If the prone creature is smaller, the damage will be greater.

This will encourage players to dig out wider corridors and assign multiple temples and taverns, in order to prevent deadly stampedes.

I will also encourage players to separate livestock from gatherings of people, and possibly also keep people out of livestock enclosures, unless they have business there.