Manuals are fun?

Can someone please explain what exactly about a manual transmission makes it more desirable to "car enthusiast"? My manual driving experience is very minimal and was in econobox cars. I've sat passenger is sporty manuals before though and my impression is this:

Modern automatics are faster and more fuel efficient than manuals. So being faster can't be the selling point. It does seem like the automatics shift better and faster, but manuals seem to pull harder when you put your foot down. Is that true? I also imagine downshifting up to a red light would be fun because you get to be obnoxiously loud.

I cant afford a car, so I just shitpost about manuals in the hope of making you all feel bad

Fortunately most people aren't impressionable enough to be swayed by such posts.

Git gud at it and drive a fun car with one and you'll understand.

I'm not asking for much, am I?

>benchracing the post
I don't care about flat out speed. If I did I would drive some faggot nip car as opposed to a V8 What I car about is how a car makes me feel.
The feeling of flooring it and shifting perfectly and revmatching trumps the .01 second I save by driving a auto
Now killyouself you carless faggot

No, it's pretty much impossible to explain completely. It's another part of the car you control and can mess around with.

Automatic just feels kinda monotonous desu. I don't have a huge preference either way but I do feel like I'm more focused on driving when driving manual.

Well you have no choice but to be more focused when driving a manual, so isn't that a moot point?

real gears.

its good to be focused on driving when you're driving anyway so whatever

if its also more fun thats another bonus

>implying automatic doesn't have gears
Don't confuse true automatic with CVT

>true automatic
An automatic transmission isn't the exception. The CVT is.

To me an automatic is VERY boring. I can't imagine just pressing the gas pedal and moving forward. I can't imagine just pressing the brake and slowing down. Shifting gears gives me a kind of satisfaction that is impossible to describe. Downshifting is especially fun, a perfectly rev matched downshift still puts a smile on my face. compare this to just pulling on the left paddle (or even worse doing nothing at all, in case of a completely automatic).

An automatic is more of an appliance than a car to me. Kinda like a washing machine.

>Modern automatics are faster and more fuel efficient than manuals.

So? that leaves the other 90% of used cars out there where the opposite is true, where the manual versions are faster and more fuel efficient than their torque converter optioned twins.

No because an automatic is monotonus either way.

>faster
No. A car enthusiast is more likely to modify their ride and attain faster speeds with the same car.
Stock? Shut the fuck up.
>more fuel efficient
No. That's just a no. Both stock and modified.

Early torque converter automatics were total shit. Modern slushboxes are better, but still miles behind DCT automatics. CVT automatics are trash.

Manual is manual. Plain and simple. Might be better, might be worse. Usually more durable.

Problem is your description of what you think driving a manual is like is fundamentally flawed.

Take a standard fag-machine like a WRX. For a competent manual driver, the difference in gas mileage would be almost non-existent if they were driving normally. However, they've got the option to drive the car for fun, like it's meant to be. When it comes to speed, I'd be amazed if an automatic performed better than a manual for a relatively normal car and relatively competent driver and even still, the manual driver would be having more fun. Unless we're talking about $150,000 hypercars there won't be a difference in speed. Except for maybe at lights. On 90 degree hills. Even then, manual drivers are happier.

I've never cared for stick shift cars. They just aren't my thing.

I like to zip around and move when I want to move. With manual you have to re-engage 1st gear every time you stop. And doing that probably takes me a good 3-5 seconds. With auto you just step on it and you're gone.

You can also tell when you're behind somebody with a manual car because in the time it takes them to engage the gear and start accelerating, everybody in front of them is already gone. And every time you want to upshift you have to let off the gas, clutch in, shift, and reengage the next gear, causing you to slow down and possibly disrupt traffic behind you. Not to mention trying to start on hills and whatnot.

Manuals just seem so antiquated. They feel slower and less responsive compared to modern-day automatics. I don't understand the fascination behind them, automatics take only a fraction of a second to upshift whereas a manual takes like 2-4 seconds to upshift (depending on experience or skill level, of course).

Even though you have more "control" over which gear you want to be in, it still takes longer to shift and engage the gear than it would in an automatic. Most modern automatics are also pretty intuitive and are able to sense what you're trying to do depending on throttle input and the speed at which the throttle is applied.

Whenever people talk about how much they enjoy manual, I don't understand why. It's kind of a pain in the ass to do all that work to get moving and the guy next to you in the automatic is already gone. Like, why would you row a boat when you could get one with a motor on the back for the same price.

What makes a manual car enjoyable? I guess some people just like having something that keeps them focused on the task of driving, but that's really the only angle that I can understand. Maybe some people also think it makes them look "tough", or like they are a professional driver, but speaking from my experience manuals seem like a big pain in the ass.

You also don't typically downshift when approaching lights and stops, contrary to all the manual transmission tutorials you've been watching. It takes less than a second to drop from 4th to 2nd if you suddenly need power at 25 mph to avoid an obstruction, which never happens.

Look, there is only one word to describe the need for a manual transmission in a sports car-

>control

You are fully in control of that big ass long hulking tub of a transmission (minus some electrical sometimes), which through engineering magic has made you the head motherfucking pilot in charge of individually whipping all 6 reins of your exploding metal land speed fighter (aka racecar).
You thrust it in and out of these different sized teeth cut gears that penetrate your fighter's heart, interlocking in an unspoken sacred bond requiring your precision/delicacy, in return for POWAAA. It's literally a blood ritual of the gods, except the blood is gas/oil and your shift knob is the dagger.

Basically it's a pure precision evil sex ritual with your racecar

shouldn't be missed tbqh

Engine braking is fun and useful if you have shit brakes though.

orbital/planetary gears arent the same as manual gears.

what you're talking about is somebody who has no idea how to drive a manual car. You don't notice good manual drivers because they're the majority of manual drivers and they're not discernible from auto drivers. But of course you're a fucking idiot who can't drive manual, so you would be subject to confirmation bias.

>With manual you have to re-engage 1st gear every time you stop. And doing that probably takes me a good 3-5 seconds. With auto you just step on it and you're gone.

you must be literally handicapped

Automatics shift early and don't let me get into the higher rev range so I'm not getting full HP and full performance

I meant engine braking, not downshifting.

double tap the throttle hard an it will redline in mine.

That's kinda hot user

>3-5 seconds
I remember this pasta

Well, I guess that almost makes sense, but that's not the fun of manual. The fun is in a perfectly revmatched downshift as you approach a hill and fly past everyone else waiting for their automatics to allow them to drop a gear and climb the hill. Half the fun is the thrill of engine feedback that you're in 100% control of, the other half is how effortless it is for even the most amateur of performance drivers. Makes you feel warm and fuzzy all over. I've never met an automatic driver in love with their refrigerator on wheels.

There are plenty of them. They just don't have it for one reason or another.

FULL CONTROL

You know the power when you put the pedal down. Each gear/rpm range you have full control over how much power the car will put down. You can hold gears or shift early, no unexpected transmission waiting or hunting for the right gear.

And its more involving. Managing shifter + clutch.

if you aren't baiting.

it's just fun
true today's automatics are more fuel efficient. more powerful? i don't think so unless you mean v4 manual vs v6 auto.

tldr you either feel it or you don't mr. krabs

I've owned some extremely fast cars, including a 1400hp drag car. My daily driver right now is a 740hp GT500.

If you want to go fast, very quickly, get an automatic. Nothing will beat it. You shove your foot into the gas and keep it going straight.

If you want to savor the driving experience, get a manual. You feel much more in tune with the vehicle- it becomes an extension of yourself.

Sure thing Invictus. How many more of your parent's cars are you going to claim a your own?

I kek'd but realized I know these feels exactly and my car is a shitbox.

I was given nothing. I've been working since I was 14, pedaled my own ass to work. Paid my own way through college, bought every car I've ever had.

Never had a penny handed to me, but I've had quite a few of them stolen away by people who were envious of my success.

Don't believe me? I really don't care.

I have 12 laferraris outside under a tarp. Don't believe me? I don't really care.

>12 ferraris
Enjoy being slower than a ford GT

Enjoy crying when Veeky Forums is deleted and you have nowhere to force your retarded memes.

>I've never met an automatic driver in love with their refrigerator on wheels.

I have and it's sad and pathetic.

Whenever you ride with them they shove their lever into "S" and slam the gas pedal and weave around in traffic as if we're suppose to be impressed.

Then they would look at you with their dead soulless eyes and tell you how awesome their car is and all you can do is nod and agree and hope they stop driving like a fucking lunatic on public roads.

>assmad Ferrari fangirl detected
>pls no bully Ford! Delet this
You and your ilk are quite sad.

>trying to validate your claim to some stranger on the internet
Tell tale sign of "idunbeleveit"

I wouldn't mind losing this board. It's useless anyways.

>faster than manual
DCT sure but average slushbox/cvt, NO.

cringe

nice pasta m8

to me automatic transmissions are just boring.

Manual gives me one more thing to do while driving and makes me more focused on the driving itself.

Thats the only way I ever describe it.

Any auto in a straight line will be faster than a stick. Around corners, maybe not.

Really, I just don't like autos because I tend to blow them up, and in hill country they shift constantly and never seem to find the right gear unless you're on the interstate for a few hours at a time.

You don't understand how autos work.

For a dead stop at a stop light, sure, maybe for half a block anyway. However, gearing disadvantages and powertrain loss will make sure the manual catches up and overtakes the auto. If the manual was launched, even mildly, it would also be faster.

The obvious exception to this is DCTs. Those are good for lap times and straight line acceleration, but they are still way less fun than a third pedal.

what happened in american history that made all of them drive autos?

Women's independence and every year you browse craiglist for manuals you see poor young men saying they're forced to sell their favorite car because they're having a baby and "the wife can't drive this".

That's pretty erotic, user.

economy coupe died and the only economy coupe women are interested in are mustangs and cameros so companies try to appease to that audience by making the car bigger and wider for more interior space. this happened in the past as well. you see user the average woman is more willing to pay premium/luxuary prices on whatever they buy than the average man, back in the day cruise-o-matics were looked at as luxuary. though sometime in the 80s things changed now manual is looked at as sporty and only good for small cars and therefore should only be on sporty cars.

>get got by cancer
>strategic left leg delete mod
You guys are making me sad.