>GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
>Godot: godotengine.org
>Haxe: haxeflixel.com
>LÖVE: love2d.org
>UE4: unrealengine.com
>Unity: unity3d.com

>what is google

boreal.aggydaggy.com/programming/2016/05/25/mean-clean-state-machine.html

Depending on your language and use case you can probably make it a lot more functional and less unnecessarily object-oriented.

i thought i'd never see you again

time to post dev music lads

youtube.com/watch?v=AJvCnFqSViA&list=LLD5Wsn4RKmDg1O3Qg0as2Lw&index=1

Potion Seller.

youtube.com/watch?v=DY1s9SmrQRE

Refined the basic projectiles, and made movement a bit smoother.

what do you think about this game design? I think it's gonna be the next minecraft

If you had to make a game in 3 days, would make a tamagocthi clone or a warioware game with shit/no art?

I'M HEADING INTO BATTLE AND I NEED YOUR STRONGEST POTION

Tamagotchi.

warioware for sure. pet sims require systems to be built, whereas for a warioware clone you can slap together basic movement and collision, although its a bit more art heavy

Look at his name, he's probably 10 m8.

why is this thread so dead

errybody devvin, why not you?

>villains take over
>years of chaos

pick one and only one, can't stand that shit in stories where apparently if it's not some liberal utopia it must be abject chaos with wanton murder and debauchery in the streets as if some spontaneous order wouldn't eventually occur.

The nature of life is to move towards order, the trend of reality is towards disorder. You know what, I'm adding that to my list of game ideas, fight for the forces of order against the natural disorder of reality, mid game battle father time or Death or something then find some anime level explanation why they should be on your side and team up as you proceed towards the final boss of entropy.

Heck, you could even have the final boss talk some kind of shit like, "Look around hero, even with all your doings, even you still trend towards Entropy" as like a play on your quest moving you that way.

tweaking the weaponry
here are some fireballs
visual/functional suggestions welcome, won't be able to answer instantly though

One of the best games on AGDG.
I think you should make those fireballs brighter
They look too dark and muddy, use additive blending and increase saturation on those imo.

This looks like it could be a Treasure game. Good job m8

this gif turns me on, in a weird way

Very cute art style! and looks like a lot of fun. Where else can i see you post this game?

Enabled the use of holding a direction in the menus so the selection moves without having to press it each time, and added a little timer in the top right while you are fighting a boss.

Camera shaking aside I find it actually kind of difficult to tell if you got hit. May I suggest having the player flash bright red and the hp bar to flash in addition to the shake? Or maybe even a impact freeze frame. See if that works better or not perhaps.

Any advice for someone who is collaborating?

> description of gameplay is literally 3 sentences
>2 of those sentences boil down to "it's good"
>the other sentence just says it's like 2 other games

Honestly, I don't want to bash him since he at least wrote down what his idea, but the whole write up is so vague/lacking in terms of what the game really is that I can't help but cringe.
On top of that the scope seems so large that you would need a large team of people with several years to accomplish it.

0/10 idea

Thanks for pointing it out.

Why has nobody been linking to a new thread before the old dies recently.

Polling. I'd appreciate the help!
Vertical or Horizontal Shoot 'em up?
>strawpoll.me/11576415

HORIZONTAL, BUT RIGHT TO LEFT!

Unreal 4
So I'm working on loading the placeholder graphics my character's equipment and thinking about where I'm going to have the functionality. Can I assume that I should just load all the pieces of equipment the player can use into the Player blueprint and just spawn/despawn their graphics as the capabilities of the player change to match them?

I'm still really, really new and while I'm understanding more and more, I'm still unsure of where shit should really go. Like what should really be in the level blueprint rather than individual actors.

diagonal, mother fucker

the level blueprint is for things like doors and triggers and stuff

it would probably be smarter to have 1 actor for "equipped item" and then set it's mesh or whatever when the player equips the item

I'd like to try making a game except I'll completely separate the logic from the graphics so that I can decide on 2d or 3d or whatever later. How much planning and foresight would I need to accomplish this? Will this be a disaster for a novice unity c# programming cuck?

How do I make a horror game on the level of Silent Hill 2 or REmake. How do I nerve the player by putting them in a situation where they fear what they risk from a gameplay standpoint? Also, how do I make sure the player doesn't become desensitized by the horror?

What's the best way to distribute small games if you can't export to the web/HTML5? Just put them on something like itch.io or gamejolt and hope people pick them up, download and play?

fog

Is there a better way to implement the logic I'm putting on 'zoom' in this?

You don't, making a GOOD horror game is insanely difficult and there are shitloads of shitty ones out there already. So you're better off working on something else.

Is C# yield continuation possible in C++?

just add a bunch of jump scares that's all horror games are anyways.

Anyone know how these sorts of visual effects are created? This is from Melty Blood but other games like Garou have effects so similar that it looks like they came straight out of the same software.

C++ has no coroutines, you can implement them yourself but it won't be as convenient since it's not built into the language.

Thanks for the advice

I've seen people make stuff like that in 3D modelling programs like blender and after effects.
Then all you do is render a spritesheet.

Might help
youtube.com/watch?v=6LJVpNlwlkQ

From the intro alone I can tell this is just what I'm looking for, gonna watch the hell out of it. Thanks.

Shitty part is that it requires owning/pirating AE.
You can do similar stuff to this in modelling programs though. Also if you use a modelling program you can place the effects in 3D before rendering, useful for stuff like slash attacks that go into the background.

I almost forgot about this project.

Just use placeholder graphics like everyone else.

ded

It's not dead I swear! I just made the joystick things on the side of the SAFER Unit yesterday.

Is this game just a lot of horrifying setpieces?

Yes, pretty much

Awesome, the setting itself is a great character. Anywhere I can follow development?

twitter.com/VirtuaWave

You just need a good pixel artist.

implemented some basic paper dolls, for more unique looking characters.

At this point, I need to fix the artillery behaviour at the end of the map, and then I'll start working on new art, and content.

You call that potions?

I have the real strongest potions.

why did you even make me pass in an argument, epic?

Now to get a quickie battle transition working.

Gettin' there.

Is that a ray cast?

Do you plan on keeping your character that color? I don't know if it's different while focused and playing, but for me your character tends to blend in to the action and some of the backgrounds quite a bit.

Does he have anxiety or depression disorder?

well the obvious answer is that it does a self check and a null check using the player controller you pass in

what do you mean?

I swear the semi colons at the end of my struct definitions keep vanishing

what do

the argument is pointless, nothing is being set on it and all it's doing is checking if you pass in a reference to itself... which is dumb, because you need a reference to it to call the function in the first place

Go to bed

>Game Maker 2 beta doesn't let you run and test the games you make

How many games do you have?

null checks are very important

what if the player object gets destroyed and doesn't exist, or the reference gets mixed up? You'd then be passing in a null, and that function would tell you so.

Its just a safer version of setting bInputEnabled manually

Why does AGDG die at midnight EST? Explain this.

new nightly builds are released and the productive members of agdg have to keep up

I think you're reading it wrong. It sets the variable if it's null too, because it's changing the object not the argument. The only time this would fail is if you call Controller->DisableInput(ADifferentController)

most people sleep at night

Fear of Fuzzy One Eyed Spider Balls

How many games do YOU have?

yea I did read the null part wrong

so its just a super safety check I guess, basically harmless

2 if you count the one I said I'd make music for and made 1/2 a track so far.

I have doubts.

>C preprocessor include guards randomly stop working

I wonder how much of Windwaker's style I can steal before it becomes too obvious

>climate change is going to consume us all
Why bother making a game?

Unless you're some pacific islander whose entire island is 5 feet above sea level, you'll be fine

I added a death check, and now you get teleported back to town if you die. No penalty except having to run back, since this is just a prototype. But then, having a penalty just makes people savescum. But then, people will savescum anyway, so it doesn't really matter regardless.

Now I just need to brighten up nighttime a bit, make combat mode smarter, 2 UI tweaks, find 12 sounds, and I can get back to playtesting

Mass famine, mass migration, resource wars, oxygen depletion
but we'll be fine

And if the alarmists were right, there would be no polar ice cap right now

But they weren't and there is

I'm not saying things are and always will be fine, but I'll bet you'll be dead before a climate-related catastrophe impacts your life.

Also there's always that chance that a random quasar will aim its massive plasma stream at the Earth and scorch it dead within minutes so there's no sense in worrying about what might be

>it won't affect me so it isn't an issue

>Something bad might happen so why bother doing anything

Why don't you just kill yourself now?

Live on the detroit river. The only problem with water is how disgusting it is.
As such, windsor ontario has some of the best water treatment plants in the world.

Windsor is shit, but we'll never drink shit in our water. Even the shit that comes out of Hiram walker isn't particularly shitty.

not the user who was originally crying

you can gamedev AND try to avoid ecological disaster at the same time.

>I'll bet you'll be dead before a climate-related catastrophe impacts your life.
Those catastrophes have been happening for years. At an accelerating pace. Just because your mom's house hasn't been at ground zero yet doesn't mean you're going to live out the rest of your life comfortably in the climate controlled darkness of your basement with a steady stream of pizza pockets coming down the stairway.

video games

Fuck it I'm not arguing with you people anymore

Tear your hair out over this for all I care, just shut the fuck up and talk about videogames.

Fuck you mod.

all the time and every day

>No one said anything about my progress

Only the F40PH can cheer me up now.

I like your game's style and it gives me cozy old-school feels but I really hate how visually busy it is. Not being able to clearly see what's going on (that's gameplay relevant) at all times is a big peeve for me.

Unreal 4
I'm trying to create a system where the player holds R to bring up a menu populated with the equipment represented by the actual mesh of the object and selects the object by moving the mouse in the direction of whatever they want to equip. Kinda like the way you equipped stuff in Twilight Princess, really

Does the HUD blueprint allow for drawing models on top of the game or is it just combined into one huge 2d overlay?

youtu.be/yQo6DoCeoiA?t=224