/bbg/ ─ Bloodborne General

Master Willem was right. A new thread without link to the previous one will be the ruin of our race. >Patch 1.09 Info
jp.playstation.com/op/bloodborne/news/2015/12/update109.html

>Accessing the DLC
bloodborne-wiki.com/2015/09/the-old-hunters.html
Note: If the eye isn't showing up, go to: Settings > Playstation Network/Account Management > Restore Licenses

>Co-Op & PvP
bloodbell.com/
Official PvP Chalice: hizzngr3 (Pthumeru Root)
/bbg/ Fight Club:
Pthumeru - n6rc9jh8
Loran - jjpkdcgd
Isz - 9v8qndas
(every Saturday 6pm EST, general rules:imgur.com/1RjNbF4)

>Resources Pastebin - Planners, Calculators, Spreadsheets, Stats Info, Where to go next in BB, Guide Scans & Wikis
pastebin.com/aNR8TXUr

>Chalice Pastebin - General Info, Glyphs for Gems, Best Gems Setups, Multiplayer & Speedrunning
pastebin.com/489M5NBv

>Media Pastebin - OSTs, Concept Art & Screenshots
pastebin.com/t8byCxfj

>Beasthood & Claws Info
pastebin.com/jnbs35ZX

>Wheel, Fight Club, Arc 101 & other Misc. Info
ssjnugget.imgur.com

>Bloodborne Damage Calculations and Formulas
pastebin.com/YnRRZPMp

>Google Document for all the above, but easier to read.
docs.google.com/document/d/1sItpr6PHpoEiFbtFIBtPO4UNeNEpxuztHteANTJRHDU/edit#heading=h.od90ylbez0rz

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSePi9yVnCkEr_xelFpTvdvmXXcmup2TG1wKXgqBWgTjdNQoSQ/viewform?usp=send_form
strawpoll.me/11565162/
strawpoll.me/11567324/
youtube.com/watch?v=4tVM-WeCUGA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Reminder to pray to Kos or some vacuous idiots call her Kosm

EARLY THREAD REMINDER

Am I the only one who actually like the Yahar'gul set?

DON'T BULLY YURIE!

I love everything about it except for the hood.

Luckily that's one of the few sets where one of the pieces has an alternate version.

Is this that thot that's in byrgenwerth?

that that hoe over there?

no

docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSePi9yVnCkEr_xelFpTvdvmXXcmup2TG1wKXgqBWgTjdNQoSQ/viewform?usp=send_form

Didn't get a whole lot of votes, but enough that I can compile it into a tier list.

Too easy.

>logarius in god-tier

You have got to be kidding me

You fucked up

>Loran "Sentient Cancer" Darkbeast that high
The little shit should have its own tier at the very bottom

What's wrong with that? Logarious was one of the more fun bosses in the game, especially if you aren't over-leveled when you fight him.

user, you've gotta separate Loran Darkbeast and Darkbeast Paarl.

The buffs Loran Darkbeast has make it a completely different fight.

It's not that he's bad, but putting him in the same tier as gascoigne, gehrman and Ook? I just don't see it.

This is why voting is a process.

Logarius is fine, Darkbeast is cancer.

I think he is better than Gascan or German. OoK is better than all three of them.

>Witches that low

I mean they're easy, but it's an interesting fight, especially the insight mechanic.

Pinwheel is a good boss too if you fight him straight out of the Asylum.

The witch is only interesting as a rare enemy Root Dungeons, otherwise it's just a wasted opportunity of a boss, especially for a cool area like Hemwick.

>Darkbeast in top tier

DELETE THIS

I like Darkbeasts.

Fight the witch in Hemwick with 15+ insight without being extremely overlevelled and it can actually start to put up a fight.

The chalice ones will give me nightmares though.

I just gave Darkbeast 1 star because I fucking hate him.

>watch Ashes of Ariandel LP before I even consider buying it
>it's another HEY LOOK REMEMBER THIS DS1 LOCATION??? REMEMBER DS1????

Jesus Christ, people actually eat this shit up, don't they?

Chalice witches give me 6 frames per second.

what enemies are weak to righteous damage?

archibald, pls go

It's kind of retarded to get upset about a direct sequel addressing the content of the game it's a sequel to.

Would you roll your eyes if you launched Soul Reaver 2 and you find yourself visiting the Pillars of Nosgoth?

Zombies

I believe it's restricted to mobs only found in Cainhurst Castle

Yes, they do. Take a look at /dsg/.

To be fair, Bloodborne is also guilty of this, but far less overtly. While Bamco shits out rehashed areas as a selling point, Bloodborne does so in a classy way that leaves them feeling original (eg. Cainhurst/Painted World).

Also Dark Souls 1 was literally just a remake of Demon's Souls.

It's the fact they shove it in your face so hard, and that it lacks substance. There's a huge difference between sequels that build off the originals and those that leech off the originals, with the Dark Souls sequels falling cleanly into the latter category.

No.

>It's the fact they shove it in your face so hard

What exactly is your metric for that? Nobody ever mentions Priscilla by name, they didn't shove Bonewheels and Phalanxes into the Painting, they don't even say anything about Ariamis. What about the DLC feels like it shoved DaS1 in your face rather than developing on the concept of the Painted World?

>not even a thanks for helping that dude with Ebrietas
Nah it's fine bro I live to serve.

*looks back at his crew and laughs with them*

this muh'fucka serious?

Yes. I think you're being overly sensitive.

Ily baby

Ya'll ready for the FC in 16 hours?

strawpoll.me/11565162/
strawpoll.me/11567324/

I'd like to REMIND everyone that this week's FC has been decided to be GEMLESS.

Do not come to the FC with gems equipped or you WILL be blacklisted.

That's dumb.

Fridays are supposed to be the gemless days.

It's more the fact that the main game shoved DaS1 in your face constantly, and the DLC lacks quality and substance, while simultaneously failing to do something original enough to redeem the main game's pandering.

I bought bloodborne a few weeks ago, and this is my first FC
Are single conversion gems allowed just so I can get access to the arc scaling?

Anyone wanna run through ng+ with me? Im at Yahaargul right now. If youre here user, we can go.

U focking wot m8 I'll blacklist yer focking mum

Oh, YW bro

if you used a low one thats just like a +10 fire or something I doubt anyone would complain

Sure thing dude, same pass?

Pass is nebula, ring at first lamp.

Sorry about that, got a little too greedy.

The majority of references to DaS1 throughout the maingame serve a tonal purpose. You find Dusk's set in Farron Keep in order to conclude in the player's mind the fact that "this is definitely Darkroot Garden" and you impress on you how things have changed while you're away. This is the correct way of handling things and Anor Londo is the centerpiece of that style, presenting a pristine outer surface only so it can sucker punch you with just how putrid and corrupted the inside has become, culminating in the desecration of Gwyndolin.

One of the most immediate references is Andre though, for which there is still some amount of argument for his inclusion, serving as the strongest sign they can give to players that, yes, "Firelink Shrine" means you are back in Lordran this time. The usage of Andre beyond selling that point is the weakness though, as they fail to build on his presence.

There are other, less compelling references, such as the wildly inappropriate placement of Kirk, who could instead have been placed in the demon ruins alongside the petrified corpse of his Fair Lady. That isn't limited to DaS1 content though, as it does much the same with what little DaS2 content was included. There's very little reason for the placement of the Shield of Want, if any at all.

However, the relevant point here being, the parts of the game where DaS1 is "shoved" in the player's face do serve a narrative function in firmly anchoring the game and it's tone of "this is the degradation of greatness". The only real fault lies in being overly liberal with the less significant references, with subpar integrations of many randomly recurrent tidbits in unusual places like Lautrec's set, Solaire's, or Artorias'.

Overall, I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be, but there's a sharp negative gut reaction to DaS1 references among the community, partially because of their having been less than stellar in Dark Souls 2.

There's also the fact that DS3 is a pile of shit, so the degradation of greatness smashes down the fourth wall and leaves you wishing the game wasn't associated with Dark Souls at all.

I just found out that Queen Killer Alfred clones can spawn as NPC hunters in FRCs. camejqft has 2 in the room right after the layer 1 lantern

I would just prefer more original content than 'hey you're actually back here, remember this place?'. Whatever I played of Dark Souls 1 was ages ago, I can barely remember anything, so all these references and nostalgia trips mean nothing to me. Was Dark Souls 1 itself not about the degradation of greatness and tarnished beauty? Why recycle that theme again? I get the game essentially exists as a contractual obligation, but I dunno, I just never felt any particular weight to anything and reliance of nostalgia I think is a pretty dangerous tactic.

As for the DLC, it's outlined fairly clearly by the Drowsy Forlorn that you're meant to take the story of the Painted World as allegory. He says that rather than allowing the Painting to rot, they've chosen to sacrifice it, burning it for the sake of the next world, unlike "those fools on the outside". He's comparing their treatment of the Painted World's fate to how the outside world handles The First Flame, choosing to fester in a decaying world under the cycle of Linking the Fire. In addition, it can be taken as something of a dig at Bamco for prolonging the series, and a self-examination of the decline.

Father Ariandel is, in his own right, functionally the same as the Lords of Cinder, choosing to restore the Painting with his blood in repeated act of self-flagellation. It mirrors Linking the Fire, pointlessly delaying the inevitable at the cost of your own flesh and blood, "sacrificing" yourself without truly benefiting the world you're supposedly saving.

>Was Dark Souls 1 itself not about the degradation of greatness and tarnished beauty?

Dark Souls 1 was about the death and legacy of Gods.
Dark Souls 2 was about the death and legacy of Kings.
Dark Souls 3 is about the death and legacy of the world.

Mensis now? The area and micolash will be pure agony.

Guys. GUYS.

>>>/dsg/

WHat?

Sure, first lamp?

You should be able to puzzle this out yourself, Lucy. They're saying "take it to /dsg/", because discussions on the quality of DaS3 or AoA has no place here.

Yeah, let me get there

Do not respond to tripfags.

Wow, way to kill the thread.

I personally liked how DaS3 was handled and delivered, although clearly there was much room for improvement. Like my letting Big M have sole direction.

By* letting. You knew what I meant.

I'm here.

anyone want to help me fight the firedog?

>sole direction
>implying he had any real involvement in DS3

They probably just asked him "this okay?" from time to time and he gave a defeated "yes" before getting back to work on one of From's upcoming projects, then they slapped his name on at the end.

No, user. I'm saying the improvement would have been letting him have sole direction.

I think you're right though that that's probably about as much as he had to do with the vast majority of the game.

You can actually see his influence in parts of the DLC which is nice, though.

This. You can literally tell by the quality of the game that he had very little to do with dark souls 3

I would because I need some good fire gems, but I just shut off my ps4 and have to do irl shit ;_;

BL?

How the hell did anyone discover that you could Saw Cleaver R2 through that one segment of fence in Yahar'gul?

Ring at second lamp

que?

Level 30. Pass is fugdog if you want to join through short root. or layer 3 of the first pthumeru story chalice

I will, if you're still here.

watch a speedrun

You can skip most of Yahar'gul by using the saw cleaver's charged attack to phase through a fence and drop down to the bottom.

Nah that's an early hurdle that you should handle on your own. Attack his face until he collapses. Then keep attacking it for huge bonus damage.

Got summoned into some vileblood's world, reringing.

Are there any good speedruns with commentary?

No. Commentary = not good.

Not retarded commentary. I mean with them discussing game mechanics and speedrun specific stuff

One of the big issues is that DaS2, and in fact DaS1 itself to some extent, kind of warped player expectations for how From "should" handle sequels. As with , people responded negatively to an entry in the series attempting to directly address the game it follows, interpreting it as wallowing in nostalgia rather than attempting to progress from existing notions.

Part of this is a significant wedge that was driven into the community by Dark Souls 2, in both its departure from DaS1 and its polarizing quality. It began to foster something of an opinion that anyone who was critical of DaS2's faults was "only" complaining because it wasn't DaS1. The weak integration of some DaS1 references, such as notably the Old Dragonslayer, Havel's set, or the Warriors of Sunlight, for which no attempt was made in the lore to account for them became a very sore point in arguing about the game.

When Dark Souls 3 came out, it was seen as being the epitome of nostalgic pandering by some, and anyone who had responded negatively to the Old Dragonslayer but could see some merit in returning to Anor Londo was branded hypocritical.

As I said at the start though, this isn't just DaS2's fault. The series developing through DeS, DaS1, DaS2, and Bloodborne accustomed players to largely throwaway lore, settings, and plotlines, with succeeding titles always going off on their own. DaS3 is the only truly direct sequel in the series, making it as much a black sheep as DaS2 in its own way. Rather than being treated how a sequel would be treated in most series, with a certain allowance for bringing up old names and winding back through old locations, there's a fundamental aversion in many people's minds because it's simply not how things had been being done thus far.

Thanks for the help fuzzbear
I've beaten it plenty of times, I just wanted the fire gems for a weapon that has some arc damage early.

Unfortunately commentary is unavoidable thanks to twitchfags since speedruns are an interactive thing now.

Just mute it; you know what bloodborne sounds like anyways.
youtube.com/watch?v=4tVM-WeCUGA

lol I'll be damned.

I assume there is a successful version of this?

>When Dark Souls 3 came out, it was seen as being the epitome of nostalgic pandering by some
/v/s favorite method of argument now are the buzzzwords "nostalgia goggles", and "rose-tinted glasses". There isn't anything anyone can say about anything that won't be met with that kind of rebuttal. It just isn't worth defending from or arguing against.

Got him, ring at next lamp.

Are you saying with a straight face that DS3 didn't pander to people's nostalgia?

>dude andre lmao
>dude anor londo lmao
>dude every armor set from DS1 lmao
>dude the mystery of gwyns son lmao
>dude gywns theme in the final boss theme lmao

Alrighty, sorry for the poor performance btw.

>dude anor londo lmao

This is pretty much exactly the problem. In pretty much any other sequel, going back to the most prominent location from its predecessor to show how things have changed would be pretty much expected. The fact that it's seen as "dude lmao" by some people just shows the sort of mindset that's been formed against it.

I'm saying with a straight face that whether or not it did is hopelessly and inextricably tied into the necessity of showing at least some things from DaS because DaS3, as has been said, is a direct sequel of it, and because of that is a point of contention that is impossible and thus pointless to argue.